and in darkness, there's you [pt. 4 REQ]

seasons and weather
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day ran through its course like usual, the girls opened the cafe and it went smoothly. Minjeong has been getting the hang of everything, Yunjin would sometimes let her man the counter while Yunjin would be the one to prepare the orders. And just as they had their lunch, Sakura already gave the digital camera that they were talking about last night to Minjeong.

 

The songwriter excitedly hugged the older girl, muttering a thank you as she checked the camera. She raised an eyebrow - amazed by the fact that it was an expensive brand and a recent model. She looked at Sakura who was simply smiling at her.

 

“Hey, how much does this cost? I’ll pay you - “

 

A simple shake of head and a wave of dismissal made Minjeong pause on her words.

 

“No, just take it as a gift.” Sakura smiled at the confused eyes of the songwriter, “I already have a new one, don’t worry.” she said reassuringly.

 

“But, this is too much…” Minjeong trailed off which earned a chuckle from Sakura.

 

“Just put it into good use, yeah?” Sakura said warmly - there was no hint of doubt in her tone. It’s like she trusts Minjeong to do just that.

 

“You can count on that,” Minjeong grinned and gave the girl a hug again. Just then, they heard the kitchen door opening to reveal Aeri and Chaewon with trays on both of their hands.

 

Sakura and Minjeog quickly scrambled, with the latter putting the camera on top of a safeplace. The two of them quickly helped the two, grabbing the trays and empty plates to put it on the sink. It was already after lunch, which would mean the flood of customers would die down - and most importantly, Jimin would be coming soon.

 

“Oh, you already have a camera?” Aeri asked as she noticed the camera on top of their shelf. Minjeong hummed in response as she was busy washing the dishes, with Sakura checking some ingredients.

 

“I got it from Sakura,” Minjeong said, “She’s a God-sent.” she exclaimed which earned a chuckle from the said girl, bumping their hips playfully.

 

“Why the sudden need for it anyway?”

 

Chaewon then appeared in front of Minjeong, putting another plate on the sink - answering the question for the songwriter. “For Jimin. Seems like they’re getting along really well.”

 

And there it was, the teasing tone that of course, would cause Sakura and Aeri to throw Minjeong playful and mischievous smirks. Minjeong tried to ignore the three, she really did but with Chaewon looking at her as she leaned her shoulders on the oven - looking at Minjeong with a grin, she just couldn’t.

 

So, if Chaewon was splashed with water - it was definitely not Minjeong’s fault.

 

“Hey, Jimin’s here.” It was Kazuha, the girl’s head peeking a little bit to the ajar kitchen door.

 

“On it,” Chaewon said, pushing herself from the oven and walking to the blender to prepare the fruit shake, while Aeri immediately went to make the sandwich. Sakura then signaled Minjeong to move away from the sink - Minjeong looked at Sakura questioningly.

 

“What?”

 

“You’ll be serving her order, right?” Sakura said , gently moving Minjeong away, completely taking over Minjeong’s task. “You don’t want her to wait for you, hm?” she asked with a small smile.

 

“Aren’t you guys too supportive of this?” Minjeong asked in a curious tone - it’s not like she doesn’t want them to be supportive. But it’s somehow overwhelming and unpredictable for them to be supportive about it, given their situation. Heck, they should very much be protective of Jimin in this case.

 

Minjeong was looking at Aeri, expecting the latter to answer only to hear Chaewon’s voice - the sound of the blender slowing down as Chaewon’s blunt tone was heard. “She could use someone like you in her life.”

 

The way she said it in a flat and yet honest tone, as if sharing the weather condition - Minjeong doesn’t know what to feel. But it made her feel happy if she was being honest, for them to trust her like that with Jimin. She saw how Aeri smiled, nodding her head in agreement - her eyes looking at Minjeong with utmost sincerity.

 

“Jimin would always have a scowl on her face but she looks relaxed whenever she’s with you.” Sakura added, still washing the dirty dishes. “She obviously needs someone new within her walls.”

 

“And your persistence really helped,” Chaewon said, putting the finished drink on the tray and Aeri slid it carefully to Minjeong’s direction - Jimin’s usual order.

“We just trust you, that’s all there is.” Aeri simply said, and Minjeong has been friends with her for too long to know that the girl is not joking around. “And it seems like Jimin does too.”

 

“Now, go and give that to Jimin.” Chaewon said with a chuckle, she couldn’t help but to laugh at Minjeong’s face. The latter looks like she’s going to cry any minute with everything they were saying - and god, it’s only 12:30 in the afternoon.

 

“Don’t start,” Minjeong glared playfully, grabbing the tray swiftly as if she’s been doing it all her life. “This is not the kind of talk I usually have in the afternoon.”

 

The other three chuckled at her words, giving her an encouraging look and nod. It has been so long since she received that kind of look - the one where there were no words needed for them to say, because it was just there - a warm look that touches Minjeong’s heart and soul. The one that she had always received from Wendy, the look of trust, comfort.

 

And when Minjeong walks out of the kitchen, she could see Yunjin and Kazuha looking at her with the same smile just like other three - it's as if they were there inside the kitchen as well, knowing exactly what they’ve talked about. Then there she saw Jimin, in her usual corner, tapping her fingers to the song that could be heard all throughout the slow cafe.

 

Just then, Jimin tilted her head then turned to the direction where Minjeong was coming - perhaps the latter was 4 or 5 steps away from her table, sensing the girl’s presence. And for the first time in weeks, Jimin didn’t welcome her with a scowl nor a poker face - instead, Minjeong sees a small smile forming on her lips. She noticed how the tapping stopped, and Jimin just stayed there - still in her direction until Minjeong reached her completely.

 

A knock on the table to know that she’s there.

 

“Your usual?” Minjeong said as she put down the order, “Hi, Jimin-ah.”

 

And Minjeong watches the girl tilting her head, the smile getting bigger as a strand of hair falls over. The urge to just put it behind Jimin’s ear was too much, but Minjeong controlled herself - Jimin, for the lack of better word, looks astonishing in that moment.

 

“Hi, Minjeong. Glad you’re here.”

 

A chuckle was heard between the two of them, Minjeong pulling the chair for her to sit on. She stared at Jimin, somehow the reflection and light from outside hitting the girl in the right angles. The sculpted nose, enticing lips, and perfect jawline was very evident. But Minjeong noticed something else - it was the eyes behind those dark sunglasses that she always wore.

 

She didn’t see it much clearly, but somehow it made her giddy - curious if she would be honest.

 

“I did say I would annoy you, right?” A joke in her tone.

 

Jimin would usually reply with silence - completely dismissing Minjeong, or a scoff whenever she would show her annoyance. But this time, neither of those two things happened. Instead, Minjeong received a grin - something that she never thought she would see on Jimin’s face. Something she never expected for her to be the cause, and it made her heart skip. The one that a person experiences whenever they thought they skipped a step on a stairs - but a good type of skip.

 

“Ah, something I’m getting used to, hm?” Jimin said in a soft voice.

 

There was no malice in her tone, and yet Minjeong remembered her call from last night. Somehow, it made her hesitate to say anything back. But as she stared at Jimin, the latter waited for her response with a ghost of a smile, a slight tilt and a raise of an eyebrow - it made her calm for a moment. Jimin waiting for her response made her feel something - the way her smile was there for Minjeong to see, exuding the same type of comfort that felt earlier.

 

Her smile doesn’t shout, instead it whispers to Minjeong.

 

I trust you.

 

And maybe she’s being delusional, but Minjeong smiled back.

 

“Something I wouldn’t get enough of.”

 

And the word promise was said, not out loud but hidden in their exchange of simple words. Only for the two of them to understand the meaning of it. Simple words holding deep meanings, with them not realizing it has seated close to their heart. Like a warm woodfire on a cold night, with two people sitting in front holding two cups of hot cocoa. There were no other words needed for them to understand each other, just their presence and warmth are enough.

 

 

 

 

The first time that Minjeong took a picture of Jimin, she had her flash on which is why the latter obviously noticed it. The output was too exposed due to the flash and the light, with Minjeong rolling her eyes as she quickly deleted it.

 

“Did you just take a picture?” Jimin asked, turning her whole body towards Minjeong. The latter just hummed in response, as if it was no big deal. But Jimin was flustered with it, she didn’t expect Minjeong to have a camera and do something like this after their talk yesterday.

 

“Yeah, I actually got this from Sakura.” Minjeong shared, putting the camera in manual mode to have complete control of everything. Satisfied with her chosen settings, she pointed it again at Jimin. “Now, stay there. I’ll take a picture of you, the one earlier was such a failure.”

 

As Minjeong pressed the button, Jimin quickly covered her face - which is what Minjeong captured. “Hey, stop covering your face!” she said as she quickly took another picture but the older girl just kept waving her hand.

 

“Stop it, I don’t know what I look like,” Jimin sighed, frowning and huffing - of irritation? She’s not entirely sure herself. “I don’t even know how to pose.”

 

Insecurity, that’s what Jimin was currently feeling, and Minjeong knew the moment the girl said those words. The way Jimin turned and hid her face by looking down, fixing her sunglasses - which she hoped to be much bigger to hide her face. There was a reason that she preferred to be the one behind the lens, and this is the main reason.

 

Other than being cold, Jimin has been awkward ever since she could remember - she would receive compliments about her looks before, and yet she couldn’t bring herself to believe those words. There was this underlying feeling inside her that they’re just saying those words to make her feel better, and most of it are just empty words. Then happened, making her blind which, of course, added to her insecurity much more.

 

Jimin has always been insecure of her looks, which is why she has been too conscious of everything. She has always tried her best to just dress nicely, decent enough that would somehow make her feel better. And yet, having this disability of hers makes it difficult for her - she couldn’t see herself to know if she looks decent enough. One of her frustrations in life.

 

And yet, somehow with Minjeong’s silence - she couldn’t tell if the camera was still pointed at her. There was an urge to ask the songwriter something, a question that she couldn’t ask Ningning, or her other friends. It just sounded so pathetic - a question too mundane and yet a question left unanswered.

 

Jimin took a deep breath, she could feel Minjeong’s presence beside her. Tilting her head up, Jimin lets the wind hit her face gently, grabbing a few strands of her and putting it behind her ear. “Can you tell me what it looks like?”

 

Minjeong looked up, camera in her hand as she stared at Jimin. “Hmm?”

 

“The sky, the park, the weather.” Jimin enumerates, “Describe it to me.”

 

And Minjeong could hear the hint of embarrassment on the girl’s voice, and yet there was a pleading tone beneath it. As if Jimin had been itching to ask the question for a long time, she regarded Jimin for a moment as she leaned back at the bench - putting the camera aside, entertaining Jimin’s questions.

 

Looking up as she puts a hand over her eyes, shielding it from the bright sunlight. Minjeong could see the vast sky above them, she smiles to herself - remembering memories of her Wendy, the sky has always been their thing. With the two of them laying beside each other, looking for words to describe each shape of the clouds, the wispy way it would paint the bluest of blue, and everything in between.

 

The sky has always been their thing, it would as well humble everyone - with its vastness, it would seem like every problem that a person would have is nothing compared to how big the sky is. Wendy has always voiced it out, that with every problem they would have - the sky will be there to watch them, a reminder that somehow, everything will be alright as it would pass.

 

With Jimin asking her this question, it brings Minjeong back to that time - her time with Wendy. And there was a dull ache, a twinge in her heart with the memories, and yet - she smiled. “Well, the sky today has more clouds than yesterday. I would say it’s a dull day today but the sun makes it a little bit livelier,” and Minjeong paused, watching how the clouds covered the sun making her remove her hand above her eyes.

 

“I could see weird shapes with the clouds, well all just with imagination.” Minjeong chuckled, glancing at the girl beside and she could see that Jimin was listening to her carefully. “Oh, I could imagine a dog, just right there. I’m not entirely sure what breed it would be, maybe a poodle?” she tilts her head, staring at the cloud.

 

“Oh, oh, that one looks like a turtle!” She said excitedly, “Definitely a turtle!” she smiles, looking at Jimin then at the camera in her hand. Without thinking, she decided to take a picture of the sky - and that was how their day went. Minjeong was busy talking about everything, their surroundings while Jimin would ask questions.

 

The older girl never felt this comfortable to ask this type of question - perhaps, she was just overthinking when it comes to Ningning and the others. But she couldn’t deny that Minjeong has a certain aura - something that would just make her feel at peace and comfortable. It was how the girl would either be talking nonstop, or saying nothing at all. There was no in between.

 

“Me?”

 

Minjeong paused with the camera mid-air, looking at Jimin questioningly, “What do you mean?”

 

The older girl didn’t know where she got the courage but she asked again, “How about me? How would you describe me right now?”

 

Silence.

 

Jimin felt the jitters, biting her tongue on the sudden and unfiltered question that she just threw. Somehow, the regret started to sink in - the urge to just dismiss the question as the dead air hangs between them. She subtly pinched her thigh, perhaps to ignore the embarrassment of the question bubbling inside her.

 

But one thing runs inside Minjeong’s mind as she stares at the older girl - mesmerizing.

 

Heck, there are thousands of words running inside her mind that could describe Jimin - all with the same meaning. And yet, Minjeong couldn’t describe the girl properly, it wasn’t enough - not for her, not for Jimin’s beauty that she possesses.

If Minjeong has a dictionary right now, she would be frantically looking for the right word for Jimin only for her to go back to that same ing word. “Beautiful.” she said quietly.

 

Lame.

 

And yet, Minjeong said it quietly - a whisper for Jimin to hear, but her heart is screaming with raw honesty.

 

The regret bubbling inside Jimin changed to something different - nervousness. She lets out a short chuckle, “Come on, be serious.” She expected for the girl to describe her clothing - Jimin hoping she chose the right colors, she has always asked Ningning to help her - too conscious of her own decision.

 

“Who said I wasn’t?”

 

The nervousness bloomed into something different, a difference that caused Jimin to suppress a smile - something that caused her to be so much more aware of her surroundings, the warmth spreading through her face, the tug in her heart. Somehow, Minjeong’s one word made her speechless, gone was the bashful response, or the dismissive notion she would always do. The way the songwriter’s tone sounded light, not a hint of something that would cause her to second guess.

 

It was too simple, straightforward - it was just so Minjeong.

 

And she heard a click - and Jimin has been familiar with that sound for far too long, she knew that Minjeong just took another picture of her.

 

When Minjeong saw that Jimin didn’t try to cover her face again, she smiled - pointing the camera again at Jimin, zooming it until Jimin’s the only thing it could focus on as the lake in the background blurs out. “Jimin-ah.” she calls out.

 

A hum.

 

“You look good today.”

 

And Jimin didn’t even bother to hide it anymore, she smiled - the one that made everything seemed brighter, the one that made her feel lighter. That unadulterated smile which made Minjeong stare for a moment, gratefully capturing it with the camera she’s holding.

 

A single thought passed her, something that she knew the first time that she saw the older girl and yet she just acknowledged it now. What a muse.

 

And for Jimin?

 

Another wall of hers wobbled, and she just let it be.

 

As they end their day, with the camera full of Jimin’s pictures - candid, smiling, and everything, the two of them walk to the cafe where Ningning would usually be waiting for the older girl. The question at the tip of Minjeong’s tongue spilled - suddenly being bashful, she rubbed her nape as she asked Jimin the question. “Hey, Jimin.”

 

Jimin stopped in her tracks, and Minjeong felt the light brush of their fingers - an electricity ran through its course. A few meters away from the cafe, and surprisingly only a few people could be seen walking. “Hm, yeah?”

 

There it was again, Jimin’s tone that Minjeong is still getting used to. That soft and light voice, as if a mother talking to their child - entertaining the child’s curiosity. It was a stark contrast from how Jimin would talk to her before - or the lack thereof. And yet, despite the difference it still causes Minjeong to feel a certain pull - a strong one that she couldn’t resist.

 

“Do you have some time this weekend?” Hesitation, it could be heard by the two girls.

 

Jimin raised her eyebrow questioningly at the girl, turning around completely until she could feel Minjeong’s presence in front of her. Not being able to see for a year made her completely aware of everyone’s presence, and yet - Minjeong is a tad bit different. Other than being aware, the younger girl’s presence consumes her which causes her to take a step back. “You know I don’t have anything to do for most days, Minjeong.”

 

“Right,” Minjeong chuckled shortly, her lips as she just decided to say it. “I was thinking if we could go somewhere? Anywhere you would like to travel? Just by car of course.”

 

Yeah, sure they’ve been spending time together but this is obviously different. Minjeong has always been the one to join Jimin with her routine, but this time - she’s asking for the girl to change her routine. The songwriter could hear the shakiness in her voice, well she doesn’t even know why she’s nervous - perhaps, rejection?

 

Minjeong didn’t realize she was holding her breath not until she heard Jimin’s answer after a few seconds of waiting. Her tensed shoulders relaxed as an excited smile formed on her face.

 

“Sure,” Jimin said in an assuring tone, “I’ve always wanted to do that, just so you know.”

 

“Then why not ask Ningning or Aeri before?”

 

Jimin shrugs her shoulders dismissively, “I don’t want to be a bother.”

 

Ah, there it was again - her insecurity and everything that Jimin hides behind her walls. Bleeding through her simple answer a little bit, and it definitely caught Minjeong’s ears. The songwriter hums, she understands where Jimin was coming from, and she replies with no hesitation. “You’re not a bother.”

 

Jimin couldn’t utter anything else, the answer was just so Minjeong - too simple and short. It always amazes her how the girl could say something with no regards, and yet she could distinguish the promise behind it. The sheer and clear honesty behind every word said by the songwriter - it would never fail to take Jimin’s breath away.

 

Just like the first time she heard the girl utter those words to her.

 

Same words and Jimin gave a different answer.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Another wobble, a brick fell over.

 

“I thought of a place we could go,” Jimin added, somehow she’s not sure why she suddenly thought of introducing the place to Minjeong. And yet, a bittersweet feeling bubbled inside her. “It’s an hour drive away, it depends though.” she shrugs, thinking about the possible traffic if Minjeong decided to go.

 

“Sounds perfect,” Minjeong answered and Jimin swore she could hear the smile on the girl’s face. She clenched her fist, holding her cane tightly as she felt Minjeong’s fingers brushing against her softly - a feather-like touch. Her free hand tensed, opening it completely as she tried to make the touch stay, the familiar scent walk past her - enveloping Jimin’s senses in the familiar salt water and rain.

 

“Minjeong-ah,” Jimin calls out, breathless and when she heard the girl answer with a hum, she continued.

 

“Annoy me tomorrow?”

 

“Of course.”

 

A crack started to form on Jimin’s second wall.

 

And a new song was composed by Minjeong.

 

How could my day be bad

When I'm with you?

You're the only one who makes me laugh

So how can my day be bad?

It's a day for you

 

Lately, life's so boring

I've been watching Netflix all day long

I thought there would be

No things left to watch

So I let myself out

 

When I went to the park

I recognised you at a glance

Face to face, we just smiled

We already know that we'll be together (we'll be together)

 

If Minjeong took her time to scroll through the pictures she took that day, lingering on the ones with Jimin in it - no one needed to know. The pounding of her heart as she stared at the smile that Jimin gave the camera, drowning everything inside Minjeong, eventually lulling her into sleep.

 

 

 

Soon enough, the weekend came in a blur. Minjeong could be seen preparing everything, snacks and everything she thought she needed to bring. Of course, the camera was already dangling around her neck as she checked the duffle bag. Aeri just simply munched on the chips while watching the girl, glancing at her from time to time with a smirk.

 

“You sure this is all good?” Minjeong asked again for the nth time, gesturing to her clothes. It wasn’t anything too formal - just her typical clothes. A simple cardigan on top of a sleeveless tank, and some jeans.

 

“Yeah, sure.” The bored and dismissive tone was very much evident, making the songwriter throw a small pillow to Aeri, and which was easily dodged by the girl.

 

“Where’s the support that I’ve heard earlier this week?” A whine was heard earning a short chuckle from Aeri. It’s not like the girl wasn’t supportive of Minjeong’s plan, heck she was really happy that the girl managed to have Jimin go with her. But god forbid her, Minjeong couldn’t stop talking about it for the whole week - there was not a single second that the girl didn’t mention ‘Jimin, ‘drive’, ‘weekend’, and whatever words that she would say about her plan.

 

They weren’t tired of Minjeong but goodness, couldn’t she be more obvious?

 

“Min, you have all my support in this. I’ve even let you borrow my car, hm?” Aeri sighed, it wasn’t an easy negotiation. But seeing Minjeong’s pouting face everyday to ask her for her car, she just wanted to smack that face.

 

“But, you don’t look too excited for me.” And there it was again, that damn pout.

 

“Min, I’m excited for you, trust me.” Aeri reassured, grabbing another chip as she glanced at the girl. “You’re too obvious with your feelings, you might want to,” Aeri shrugs slightly. “Tone it down?” she finishes, unsurely.

 

Minjeong laughs slightly, leaning back on the couch as she grabs a potato chip from Aeri. She wasn’t offended at all, and in all honesty - she’s actually being careful with her actions with Jimin. It wasn’t an unexpected thing to happen, even Minjeong saw it coming - Yu Jimin, after all, is a force to reckon with. The older girl just has this pull, as if she has her own gravity that Minjeong couldn’t help to worship.

 

“This is me toning it down, Gi,” she said in between munching, playing with the strap of the camera on her neck. “Is it too obvious?”

 

“Absolutely.” Aeri deadpanned with no hesitation. “I’m surprised she even accepted your invitation for a road trip.” She added in a tone that has an underlying meaning, which of course didn’t escape Minjeong.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Aeri regarded her friend for a moment, the questioning look on her face - waiting for an answer which she couldn’t give. A shrug was the only thing she could offer to Minjeong, standing up from the couch as she checked the time. “You’ll know soon, just be careful. Okay?”

 

The younger girl knows that Aeri was dodging the question for a reason, deciding not to probe any further, she checked the time and stood up from the couch as well. “I’ll take care of the car, don’t worry.”

 

“And Jimin.” Aeri said from the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water.

 

Minjeong chuckles, swinging the duffle bag over her shoulders as she nodded to Aeri. “Especially her.”

 

Of course, especially Jimin.

 

Just as she was about to put on her sneakers, Minjeong heard Aeri calling her again, making her look at the latter with a questioning raised eyebrow. “Yeah?”

 

Minjeong watches as Aeri puts down the empty glass on the counter, leaning against it as she clicks her tongue, looking at Minjeong with a small and yet worried smile. Perhaps Minjeong already knows where this was going.

 

“Does she know?”

 

Minjeong heard it clearly, the soft voice of her friend along with the worried tone echoed inside the apartment. The question didn’t come from a bad place, and Minjeong knows it’s a warranted question - after all, she only has a few months left to stay there. And so, she smiled at Aeri - hoping that it looks reassuring enough for the older girl not to worry.

 

“I’m planning to,” Minjeong smiles, and somehow thought it’s not like Jimin would miss her. Right? 

 

“I trust you.”

 

Minjeong smiled, and that was enough. Proceeding on her way, she gave Aeri a nod, waving her hand with the keys dangling on her index finger. And as she was welcomed by the clear blue sky, and the usual warm and refreshing wind hit her face, she smiled to herself. Anticipating where they could possibly go, Minjeong asked the other girls for places or any suggestions but Jimin said she already have places in mind.

 

She probably pestered the girl, somehow hoping that Jimin would give in and just say where they were going but the girl wouldn’t budge. Jimin would just either smile or smoothly change the subject, and if all else fails - she would throw a sweet and charming smile, the type of smile that would of course, shut Minjeong up.

 

“You’ll see.”

 

She probably has heard those words from Jimin countless times already, which is why she couldn’t wait. Starting the engine, Minjeong gently grabbed the steering wheel and carefully maneuvered - it was a more or less 7-minute drive to Jimin’s apartment, and Minjeong didn’t realize that 7 minutes would be that long.

 

Maybe she was just exaggerating, well she is exaggerating. On a normal day, those minutes would be nothing for her but somehow, having the thought of spending the whole day with Jimin makes it different. Turning the final corner, Minjeong could see Ningning on the sidewalk - waving at her when she noticed Minjeong and the vehicle.

 

The songwriter turned off the vehicle, quickly going out and welcoming Ningning with a hug. “Hey, good morning!” she huffed, feeling how tight the younger girl hugged her.

 

“Good morning to you!” Ningning said excitedly, “Let’s go inside!” she said, pulling Minjeong inside the house. The nervousness suddenly flooded Minjeong’s system, what was once anticipation and excitement became jitters. This is the first time that she would go and see Jimin’s house, the first time that she would see the girl not in the cafe, nor at the park - this was out of the girl’s routine.

 

And of Minjeong’s.

 

This was out of the ordinary, and yet not unwelcomed.

 

Watching as Ninging knocked three times on the door, not waiting for it to open - the latter simply pushed it and Minjeong was pulled inside. She was welcomed by a normal house, a decent size house. She takes everything in, the navy couch in the living room with some pillows scattered, a minimalist rug with the side of it flipped - it definitely made Minjeong frown, mentally noting to fix it when they walk past it.

 

She looked at each frame displayed, and she couldn’t help but to smile - it was various pictures of landscapes, buildings, and sceneries. Just like what Jimin told her before - the latter has always been fond of grand landscapes. Being inside and actually seeing Jimin’s house, it made the songwriter see another glimpse, another side of the older girl.

 

Somehow, she felt that she knew Jimin a little bit better than before. Now, she’s not just the girl that would always sit at the corner of the cafe, someone who she always talks to and walks with to the park. Right now, Minjeong sees that Jimin loves to capture moments, sceneries - the Kuromi stuffed toy that was laying on the couch, a bit unusual and yet simply so her.

 

“Jimin!” Ningning calls out, “Minjeong is already here!”

 

Just then, Minjeong heard some rustling and careful footsteps and in a second, she saw Jimin coming out from a room. The girl was sporting a simple tee and comfortable pants, and it has always made Minjeong smile - the simplicity of Jimin was unmatched, along with her beauty. But then, Minjeong felt her heart pounding as she saw the girl’s face.

 

Jimin was there all in her glory, no cane in hand, and no sunglasses. And Minjeong took everything in her not to walk closer to Jimin - heck, she’s probably frozen in her place as she could only stare. Minjeong was too far from the older girl to see her properly, and she could only watch Jimin walking - moving confidently as Ningning tapped her shoulder. The latter gave Jimin her cane and sunglasses.

 

Gone were the small steps that she would usually see Jimin do, it was a subtle thing that she noticed with the older girl. It seemed like Jimin was trying that fact whenever they walked, given that the girl never really wanted help in the first place - but Minjeong still noticed it.

 

It’s just that, Minjeong couldn’t help but notice everything about Jimin.

 

And yet, there’s Jimin's careful yet confident steps as she walks around her own house. Putting on her sunglasses, something that Minjeong despises for a second - realizing that she didn’t get a good look with Jimin’s bare face. Seeing that Jimin was already good to go, Minjeong made her presence known.

 

Clearing as she walked towards the girl, not forgetting to lightly kick the folded side of the rug making it lay flat on the floor. “Hey, you. Good morning.” she said, smiling and excitedly.

 

As if on cue, Jimin smiled as well, turning towards the direction of Minjeong’s voice. “Good morning!”

 

Ningning then interrupted them, “Alright, you guys say your pleasantries outside.” she said, shooing them away playfully. The two of them chuckled as Ningning pushed them softly outside. “Make sure to get her back safely, understand?” she said to Minjeong, as if reprimanding a young child.

 

Minjeong simply laughs, “Of course, you wouldn’t see a single scratch on her.” And when Ningning smiled, Minjeong took that as the cue to go towards the car. She called Jimin softly to guide the girl. “Hey, come on. The car’s here.” she said.

 

As if on instinct, Minjeong held the girl’s wrist gently. This has been something that they start doing everytime they walk, Minjeong doesn’t know when it started. But Jimin just started holding up her hand for Minjeong to hold, to guide her of some sort. The cane is not being used by the older girl, just dangling on her wrist like a small stick.

 

And this fact melted Minjeong - it’s like a sign that Jimin trusts her to the degree that she would let her be guided by Minjeong with no questions.

 

Ningning watched the interaction as she leaned on the door frame, smiling widely at the two. She couldn’t believe that Minjeong managed to get Jimin to join her on this trip. Other than that, she didn’t think that the songwriter would be the reason for Jimin to act like this again. Perhaps, Minjeong could become Jimin’s tiny light of hope with that tender soft smile of hers, along with her playful like child personality.

 

And so, she approached the girl as soon as she closed the passenger seat. “Hey, Minjeong.” she called out.

 

Minjeong turned and smiles at Ningning, “I told you, I’ll take care of - “

 

Ningning embraced the girl, surprising and silencing Minjeong in the process. “You don’t know how much I would like to thank you.”

 

Minjeong doesn’t know what to say, and so she just returned the hug. They stayed like that for a few seconds before Ningning pulled away, “Really, Minjeong. Thank you.”

 

“It’s nothing, I just want Jimin to - “

 

“I’ve never seen her this excited about something,” Ningning shared, remembering the times that Jimin mentioned throughout the week the planned trip she has with Minjeong. She knows that the older girl was excited despite mentioning it in a flat tone - as if it was just a passing thought. But Ningning knew better, Jimin has her own way of showing excitement - it was not with the smiles, or excessively planning of an itinerary.

 

Jimin shows her excitement through silent hums of random melodies, the slight lilt of her voice whenever she mentions the weekend, or whenever she asks Ningning to make sure to add an early alarm for the weekend.

 

“I,” Minjeong doesn’t know if she should feel pleased or pressured with that information, “Thanks, I’ll try my best today.” she mustered up a few words.

 

Ningning chuckled, shaking her head. The songwriter has nothing but entertainment during their first meeting. “She never lets anyone drive her, you know?”

 

Now, that’s something that Minjeong didn’t know. “What?”

 

The younger girl smiles, of course her friend wouldn’t mention it to Minjeong - not yet. And so, she just squeezed Minjeong’s shoulder softly. “Just keep her company, always check on her. Okay?”

 

And with the short glance that Minjeong gave at Jimin inside the car, along with the smile and nod at Ningning. The latter knows that Jimin is in good hands, and as she watches them go on their way - having the glimpse of Jimin laughing at some joke that Minjeong said, Ningning knows that she doesn’t need to worry.

 

 Because it was obvious - Jimin is happy.

 

And that’s all what matters.

 

 

 


 

Ten minutes into their drive there's a comfortable silence between Minjeong and Jimin, the songwriter glancing at the girl on the passenger seat, who was comfortably leaning her head against the window. Minjeong would be lying if she said that there was no urge for her to ask Jimin to take off her sunglasses, but somehow she feels like she’s asking for too much. And yet, the image of the girl earlier without it couldn’t get out of her mind.

 

“So, are you going to tell me where we are going?” Minjeong said in a joking and yet curious tone. A chuckle was heard from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter