Flashback - 4:24

The Life Of Meguerine Oblitus Caelum
Please log in to read the full chapter

Meg sat on the train. Neither of his limbs moved and his hands stayed on his lap as he spaced out in his seat. The hum of the train came hollow in his ears as he kept his head level, just enough to see overhead from where he sat.

He got off from the station and clutched on his hand his phone as he diligently checked for the road and bus that he should ride in order to reach his destination on foot. The steps of the crowd around him were all hollow as his mind focused on getting to his destination.

Finally, he walked silently through the hallway until he reached a room. He opened the door as silently as he could but the scratching sound on the floor of the sliding door was too loud for his taste.

There, he found Mrs. Lee Jung Eun sitting on her bed and staring out of the opened window. Her long black hair was undone. The silence in the room was loud yet it was warm and comforting.

Mrs. Lee turned her head a little to the side.

"Dayoung, is that you?" her calm mellifluous voice streamed in the room.

Meg smiled.

"Yes, it's me ma'am," he replied and closed the door behind him before approaching the bed and went to the side where the woman faced so that she would not have to turn just to see him.

"Dayoung... It's you..." Mrs. Lee opened her arms to him a signal that Meg should come in for a hug, a gesture the man knows too well.

Meg hugged the frail aging woman. She broked from the hug and brushed Meg's arms.

"How have you been? Are you settling well in Seoul? You're not doing odd jobs, right?" then she proceeded on checking Meg's arms by pushing his sleeves up.

"I'm doing well. I found a place in Seoul. I also have a job, animal caretaker!" he said as he reached for a stool to sit on, "I also met people... good people."

Mrs. Lee smiled and cupped his cheek. "I'm so glad you're doing well."

This made Meg smile even more that it reached his eyes. Then he remembered something that he thought was important part of his visit.

"In the place I work at... There's a witch. She mentioned that she can heal. I haven't talked about it with her but she says she could heal. I'm thinking that --"

"Hong Dayoung."

Meg stopped. His smile fading as he stared back at the benevolent face but a firm resolution on her eyes.

"We talked about this."

Meg knew that they already talked about Mrs. Lee's numbered months.

"Don't you think that Mr. Ahn would like it if you would be healthy again? He asked me to look after you... It's my responsibility to--"

Mrs. Lee held Meg's hand with her two bony hands.

"Someday, you will meet someone that you cannot live without. You can continuously think rationally about it, again and again. But, at one point... you will still want them to be in your life... The world wouldn't loo

Please log in to read the full chapter