Chapter 4: Imprint

The Last Vampire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                “Tch.” Joohyun hissed out. She ran after a berserk which was particularly odd. It was a lot stronger and smarter. Maybe her bad habit is now taking toll on her capability. Wrong timing, she thought. She sped up, trying to catch up to the berserk that is now jumping from roof to roof. She saw it jump down from a roof to the street. She realized the opportunity and threw the silver sword she’s holding and it landed on the ground, but it barely missed it. The berserk turned to her, growling angrily as she continued jumping towards it. The berserk’s next move shocked her, it smiled at her as it picked up her silver sword that was stuck to the ground then went inside the house in front of it.

 

                “!” She cursed. She hurriedly followed the berserk and entered the house it went to.

 

                She was on the doorway; she can smell the berserk on the second floor of the house. On her right was the staircase leading to it. She was about to follow it when a girl’s head poked out from corridor across her. “!” She cursed yet again. There was a human inside the house—the worst possible scenario. She motioned for the girl to come to her immediately so that they can go out of the house, putting her index finger in front of . The girl was obviously scared but she nodded, she was holding a frying pan for defense. But before she can reach her, a thud on the second floor made her halt. Joohyun mouthed for her to hide and as she did that, her silver sword went flying towards her from above, hitting her directly on her right chest. She dropped on the ground as she felt the excruciating pain swallow her whole being. As a vampire, being hit by a silver sword is the worst thing that can happen to you, as it’s not only painful, but it also stops the healing process of their body. She heard it laugh evilly at her as it jumped from the top of the staircase to her side. She looked angrily at it as it just flashed its creepy smile on her. She then noticed something different, its eyes were bright red, in contrast to the usual berserks she already encountered that had pure white eyes. She realized then that it isn’t just a normal berserk that came from a half human half vampire who had lost its control due to starvation of human blood, but it is a berserk that came from a pure-blooded vampire. The only thing she wasn’t sure of was the reason why it became a berserk one—was it due to human blood starvation, or human blood addiction.

 

                “Why are you after your own, vampire?”

 

                The creature said with a voice that is like coming from the underground. “I am not like you.” She said as she tried to pull out the sword on her chest that was pinning her body to the floor. She heard it laugh then it went above her, cupping her chin as its face was just inches away. “Well then, I’ll have you become like me!” It shouted as it pulled out the sword and stabbed her all around her body, intentionally leaving her left chest unscathed. “I will have you die in a slow death, starving for blood. And then you’ll become a berserk yourself!” It paused. “Though I tell you, it is more fun to turn berserk because of wanting it more!” It laughed hysterically.

 

                Joohyun helplessly accepted every stab on her body. She felt weaker and weaker as her blood leaves her body. She thought of death at that moment, when suddenly the berserk halted from stabbing her because a frying pan landed on the back of the creature’s head. She seized that opportunity and with all the strength she has left, she grabbed the berserk’s hand, stabbed it using her sword as she goes over him to pin him this time to the floor. She heard the berserk shrieked as she weakly stood up to go to the living room where the frying pan came from.

 

                Joohyun saw the girl hiding behind the sofa. When the girl saw her, she immediately ran towards her to help, even though she knows how grave the situation they were in. She dropped on the floor when she felt her knees lost its strength.

 

                “A-are you okay?” The girl asked as she tried to catch Joohyun from falling completely.

 

                It was evident in her voice the fear and confusion that she felt that moment. “Y-you have to go now…” She said weakly but sternly. “I do not have enough strength to protect the both of us… You must leave…” The girl’s phone suddenly rang. She opened it and as she read the message, Joohyun saw her tears suddenly fall in panic, just as the phone went dead.

 

                “You have to drink my blood now, Ms. Vampire!” She declared with conviction.

 

                Joohyun was taken aback at that. “I… I cannot do that!”

 

                “Please! I know it’s the only way you can regain your strength!”

 

                “B-but… I haven’t drink for months… And if I drink now, I might not be able to stop…”

 

                “Please, I’m begging you… My sister is coming home and she’s almost here… Please believe in yourself so that you can save my sister… Please…” She was pleading.

 

                But before Joohyun can answer the question, she, and the girl went flying to the kitchen’s wall. They were swiped like bowling pins by the creature who was now much bigger than before. “Why did I settle for such satisfaction like a petty human blood when a pure-blooded vampire’s blood is much more delicious?” It said in almost a whisper.

 

                Joohyun lifted up her body and saw the girl now on the floor, her head bleeding due to the impact of the throw and her right arm from the berserk’s scratch. She crawled with all her might as she sat down behind the young girl, lifting her up in a sitting position as she supported her back. She found her still conscious but she knows that life is slowly leaving her form.

 

                “Yerim-ah?” A call from the door was heard.

 

                “Please, please, Ms. Vampire… Save my sister…” She once again pleaded as a tear roll down from her eyes.

 

                Joohyun gritted her teeth as she slowly nodded.  “I got it… Yerim-ah…”

 

                “Take care of my sister…” Yerim weakly smiled.

 

                “YERIM-AH??” Another call echoed.

 

                “Seulgi-unnie…” Yerim called. She knew her life was nearing its end but she was happy that she can save her sister. She saw her and wanted to assure her that everything’s going to be alright now. “It’s alright…” But her voice didn’t come out, instead she felt her energy finally leave her.

 

                Joohyun then sank her fangs on Yerim’s neck, her blood in the process. She heard a call—no, a scream—calling Yerim’s name but she concentrated on her task at hand. She knows that if she does not, she might not be able to grant Yerim’s request. An overwhelming feeling envelops her as she her blood, like she was being in to that sensation as well. Her eyes were shut closed at that moment when a loud thud made her open her eyes and stopped her from what she’s doing, which she is thankful for.

 

                Joohyun slowly laid Yerim’s body on the floor as she felt that her strength was being revitalized. She stood up as she faced the berserk who was about to bite Yerim’s sister who was now lying on the floor unconscious. Before the berserk had its way, she dashed beside him in a split-second, grabbed its head and smashed it on the wall across. She scratched its body as it dangled on the wall using her free hand. She heard it groaned in pain as she let its body drop on the floor. She went back to the doorway and saw the floor wiped clean, without any trace of her blood. The berserk it clean. Then she finally found what she was looking for, a silver chain bracelet. She wore it and it turned into a silver sword. She went back to the living room and saw the berserk jumped on her. Too slow, she thought. She caught its head on her left hand and smashed it to the ground. She then lifted up her sword and stabbed her multiple times before finally stabbing through its heart. She walked away after watching its whole body turn into burnt ashes.

 

                She went to Yerim’s sister’s body that was lying unconsciously on the floor. She took her sword and stabbed a straight line on her right palm. She placed it over Seulgi’s mouth, making her drink the blood that was gushing out of it. After that, she went beside Yerim’s body, held its cold hands and wept with regret and self-disappointment.

 

+++

 

                “She still hasn’t wake up.” Sooyoung said after closing her master’s door. She just went inside to check if Joohyun has woken up already but unfortunately, she still hasn’t. It has been one week since they commenced their plan.

 

                Seungwan, who was leaning on the wall with her two arms flexed on her chest, sighed deeply. She looked up to Sooyoung in front of her who also leaned her back on the wall across her. “Bec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter