Ep. 09: A Victory and a Few Losses

Love is Blind...But Their Friends Aren't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day for the semi-final swimming competition had finally arrived, and Nayeon and Jeongyeon were seated on the bleachers, eagerly awaiting the start of the race. They had arrived early, hoping to snag a good spot near the swimming pool so they could watch the competition up close. As they sat there, they noticed that there were only a few other students around.

Nayeon turned to Jeongyeon, a hint of worry in her voice. "Do you think Jihyo and Momo are already on their way?" she asked. Jeongyeon pulled out her phone and checked her messages. "Actually, they just sent a message saying they're already at the entrance," she replied, relief evident in her voice.

Nayeon let out a small sigh of relief as well. "Good, I was starting to get worried they might be late," she said. "We need all the support we can get for our university's team." Jeongyeon nodded in agreement, and the two of them settled in to wait for the start of the race, excitement building in their chests.

As they waited for the competition to start, Jeongyeon suddenly spoke up. "You know, it's been a while since we last saw Sana around," she said, glancing around the bleachers as if she might spot her. "I wonder what she's been up to. She seems too busy with something else."

Nayeon smiled knowingly. "Well, I have a feeling it might have something to do with Miyeon," she said, referring to their mutual friend. "They seem to be getting along really well lately."

Jeongyeon chuckled. "Ah, love really is a distraction to friendships, isn't it?" she joked. "But seriously, I'm happy for them. It's nice to see Sana getting along with someone new."

Just then, Jeongyeon spotted Jihyo and Momo making their way up the bleachers towards them. "Hey, over here!" she called out, waving her arm to get their attention. The two of them smiled and quickly made their way over, taking the empty seats beside Jeongyeon.

"Sorry we're late," Jihyo said, catching her breath. "We got held up in traffic on the way here."

"No worries, you made it just in time," Nayeon replied, grinning. "The competition hasn't started yet."

 

Chaeyoung and Sana stood outside the convenience store near the university, chatting while they waited for Tzuyu and Rosalia to finish shopping for snacks. They had planned to watch the swimming competition together, and Sana was excited to spend some time with her friends.

As they leaned against the wall of the store, Sana turned to Chaeyoung with a curious look on her face. "Hey, Chaeyoung," she said, "what do you think of Rosalia?"

Chaeyoung looked at Sana, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. "Well, she seems really nice," she said. "And she's really pretty, too."

Sana nodded her head in agreement. "Yeah, she's really pretty," she said. "And it's impressive how well she speaks Korean, even though she's a foreigner."

Chaeyoung smiled at Sana's compliment before responding. "Well, you speak Korean really well too, even though you're Japanese," she said. "I think it's really cool how you've managed to learn the language so quickly."

Sana could feel her cheeks flushing at Chaeyoung's compliment, feeling flattered by her friend's words. She decided to shift the discussion to something else, wanting to move away from the topic of language skills. "Speaking of cool things," Sana said, "I'm really glad you're finally coming to watch the swimming competition with us."

Chaeyoung let out a small laugh. "Yeah," she said. "I guess I just never really understood the appeal of watching people swim laps back and forth. But you guys seemed so excited about it, I thought I'd give it a try."

Sana grinned. "Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it," she said. "And who knows, maybe you'll become a fan of swimming after this."

As they were talking, Tzuyu and Rosalia finally came out of the store with snacks and drinks in hand. Sana greeted them with a wave and a smile, and Chaeyoung did the same.

"Hey guys, you ready to watch the competition?" Sana asked, excitedly.

Tzuyu nodded eagerly. "Yeah, I can't wait! I heard our university's team is doing really well this year," she said.

 

Miyeon, Jennie, Mina, and Dahyun were in the locker room, preparing for the upcoming swimming competition against one of the best teams in Seoul, Korea. The room was filled with nervous energy as they made their final preparations.

Dahyun seemed particularly anxious as she sat on the bench. She was worried about one of the opposing team's star swimmers, Moonbyul. Not only was she a fierce competitor, but Dahyun's ankle hadn't fully recovered from an injury sustained since the previous week.

"I don't know how I'm going to keep up with her," Dahyun fretted, her brow furrowed in concern.

Mina, noticing her teammate's distress, placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, Dahyun," she said reassuringly. "We're a team, and we'll support each other no matter what."

Jennie nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we're not just competing as individuals. We're competing as a team," she said, determination clear in her voice.

Miyeon chimed in as well. "And besides, we've been training hard for this. We can do this," she said, a confident smile on her face.

Dahyun smiled gratefully at her teammates, feeling slightly more at ease. "Thanks, guys," she said, feeling a renewed sense of determination. "Let's go out there and give it our all."

With a newfound sense of confidence, Dahyun, Mina, and Jennie stood up and started to make their way out of the locker room. However, just as they were about to leave, Miyeon's voice called out to Dahyun.

"Dahyun, can I talk to you for a moment?" Miyeon said, stopping Dahyun in her tracks. Mina and Jennie exchanged a look and nodded, understanding that they should give the two some privacy.

As they left the locker room, Miyeon turned to Dahyun, her expression serious. "Listen, I know things have been a bit awkward between us lately," she said, her voice low.

Dahyun nodded, remembering the incident a few weeks ago when Sana had asked to take a picture with Miyeon, causing Dahyun to feel hurt.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if I made you feel what you are feeling now," Miyeon continued. "I didn't mean to come across that way. Sana just caught me off guard, and I didn't know how to react."

Dahyun felt a sense of relief wash over her at Miyeon's apology. "It's okay, Miyeon," she said with a small smile. "I understand. And I'm sorry too, for being so sensitive about it."

Miyeon smiled back at her, the tension between them dissipating. "Thanks, Dahyun. I'm glad we could talk about it," she said, before giving her a reassuring pat on the back.

"Hey, Miyeon, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, what's up?" Miyeon asked.

Dahyun took a deep breath before continuing. "Do you like Sana more than a friend?" she asked, her voice quiet.

Miyeon looked surprised by the question, but she didn't seem offended. "Um, no, I don't," she said hesitantly. "I mean, she's a great friend and all, but I only see her that way."

Dahyun nodded slowly, relieved by Miyeon's answer. "Okay, I was just wondering," she said, a small smile returning to her face.

Miyeon studied Dahyun's expression for a moment before speaking. "Can I ask you something too, Dahyun?" she said, a curious tone in her voice.

Dahyun raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, of course," she replied.

Miyeon took a deep breath before continuing. "How much do you like Sana?" she asked, a hint of a smile on her lips.

Dahyun's cheeks turned slightly pink at the question. "I...I like her a lot," she admitted, her voice deep and sweet. "She's just...she's amazing, you know? She always knows how to make me laugh, and she's so kind and caring."

Miyeon smiled at Dahyun's heartfelt response. "That's really sweet, Dahyun," she said. "Sana is lucky to have a friend like you too."

Dahyun smiled back, feeling grateful for the understanding and support of her teammate. "Yeah, I guess," she said, before the two of them exited the locker room together, ready to face the swimming competition ahead.

Dahyun and Miyeon exited the locker room and were surprised to see that a lot of students had already taken their seats. As they made their way towards the pool area, they began to feel nervous when they realized that most of the audience were fans of the opposing team.

Miyeon glanced nervously around the stands, taking in the sea of faces. "This is going to be tough," she muttered under her breath.

Dahyun nodded in agreement. "Yeah, they have a pretty big fanbase," she said, feeling her heart rate increase.

As they approached the pool area, they could hear the excited chatter of the crowd, adding to their anxiety. They found their team's section and took their seats, feeling a sense of comfort being surrounded by their teammates.

Dahyun leaned over to Miyeon, her voice low. "I'm really nervous," she admitted.

Miyeon placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, we've got this," she said with a smile.

Dahyun's heart continued to race as she tried to calm her nerves, taking deep breaths. Suddenly, her eyes caught a sight of Sana walking with Chaeyoung, Tzuyu, and Rosalia. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of the girl, feeling both happy and nervous at the same time. Sana didn't see her as she was on her way to the empty seats beside Momo and the other girls.

Despite feeling nervous, Dahyun also felt a sense of bravery and confidence knowing that Sana would be there to support their team. "Sana's here," she whispered excitedly to Miyeon, nudging her with her elbow.

Miyeon followed her gaze and saw Sana sitting with the other girls. "That's great," she said, smiling at Dahyun.

Mina's heart almost dropped when she saw Chaeyoung walk in. She hadn't expected to see her ex-lover at the competition, especially since they weren't on good terms.

Mina tried to ignore Chaeyoung's presence and focus on the upcoming competition. She couldn't let her personal life interfere with her performance. But as she stood up to stretch her legs, she felt Chaeyoung's eyes on her.

Mina turned to look at Chaeyoung and saw that she was staring right back at her, a look of sadness and regret on her face. Mina felt a pang of guilt in her chest, remembering the way she had ended things between them.

But now was not the time to dwell on the past. Mina took a deep breath and turned away, determined to focus on the competition ahead.

Dahyun sensed that something was off with Mina as she watched her stand up and walk to the side of the pool to stretch. She decided to join her, hoping to offer some comfort.

"Hey, Mina," Dahyun said as she walked over. "Are you okay?"

Mina turned to face Dahyun, putting on a fake smile. "Yeah, I'm more than okay," she replied, hoping that her voice didn't give away her true feelings.

 

Sunghoon and Sunoo arrived at the swimming competition together. As they walked towards their seats, they were greeted by Sunghoon's teammate in basketball, Jay.

"Hey, guys!" Jay said, grinning from ear to ear. "I saved you some seats right over here."

Sunghoon nodded his thanks, but he couldn't help but notice the way Jay's eyes lingered on Sunoo. He felt a twinge of jealousy, even though he knew that Sunoo only saw Jay as a friend.

As they took their seats, Jay continued to chat happily with Sunoo, making Sunghoon feel even more uncomfortable. He tried to push down his jealousy and focus on the competition, but it was difficult with Jay's constant attention towards Sunoo.

Eventually, Sunghoon couldn't take it anymore. He slid over to the middle seat, placing himself between Sunoo and Jay. It was an overprotective move, but he couldn't help it.

Sunghoon looked at Sunoo and said, "I can't see well from this angle. I think I'll have a better view from the middle seat."

Sunoo was confused because Sunghoon's seat actually had a better view. But he didn't argue and simply nodded, letting Sunghoon take the middle seat. Jay looked a bit disappointed, but he didn't say anything.

Sunghoon and Jay had both developed feelings for Sunoo, but they had never talked about it with each other. Sunghoon didn't want to lose his friendship with Jay over a crush, but he also couldn't stand the thought of someone else making a move on Sunoo.

 

The announc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter