Public Display of Affection

Moon & Sunrise: Fluffy Drabbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Different scenes flash through Byulyi's eyes as the metro travels at a remarkable speed. It feels like she was back on the Seoul subway, dark tunnels with huge brightly lit billboards following trees and highways and tiny apartment windows, except for the obvious fact that she is currently not in her home country.

Standing near the train door to leave space for other people to stand, she silently observes the subway car. The space is filled with noise, but at the same time, no coherent sound can be heard. She can vaguely make out the laughs from someone watching videos on their phone, people chattering here and there, but the roaring sound of engines stands out the most, overwhelming her senses and preventing her from processing her thoughts.

One thing she's sure of, though, is that everyone is in their own world. No one is paying attention to anyone else. Byulyi chuckles; she wonders if someone would know there are two celebrities in their very close proximity. Not so likely, her train of thoughts continues, as the mask and her cap have proven to successfully shield her identity time and again.

She looks at her companion. Yongsun is leaning on the metal column beside the seats, her gaze not fixed on any particular point outside the train door. Byulyi smiles.

- Tired?

Yongsun flinches a little. - Me? I'm not.

- You look like you are.

- I'm just spacing out, that's all.

Byulyi hums in understanding, letting the subject slide. They chat for a while, and then everything falls into relative silence again, which is nowhere near uncomfortable. Their stop near the hotel is still far away, giving her enough time to listen, to watch, to let her mind wander to various scenarios.

She figures she can get used to this. Boarding the train, looking forward to her comfortable space at home, with her partner by her side all this time. This feels unusually - yet pleasantly - domestic. For a moment, she indulges herself in imagining that she and Yongsun weren't people of the public; just two nobodies working 9-to-5 jobs and living their lives together. With each other. Without too many eyes scrutinizing their happiness.

There is no affection exchanged, but to Byulyi it's a precious moment deserving to be preserved. 

- Yong, look here.

Yongsun glances at the camera in selfie mode and she scoots closer, her head gently resting on Byulyi's side. They take a quick look at the pictures taken, and Byulyi puts her phone away in satisfaction. Her now free hand reaches Yongsun's, and the older woman looks up in surprise, quickly looking around to check if anyone is watching them. 

- We are safe, Yong. No one cares or even knows who we are. I promise. - Byulyi assures, then smiles as she f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter