A Chocolate Battle

Random Jihyooo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Super Advance Valentine's Day everyone. For me it is. Let's spread love every day 😂🥰. I hate the fact that I thought of this prompt way before Valentine's Day hahahaha. Before reading, these are the characters' year level:

Grade 12 - Insung, Kwang Soo, Jihyo, Dong Wook, Raewon
1st Year college - Jongho
2nd Year college - Gong Yoo

Kwang Soo and I are on our way to the cafeteria, minus Insung. When I entered this school in my first year of high school, considered being a nerd, I'm not really part of any circle of friends. However, I don't wanna brag but it's because of my visual that I became well-known in the school despite being a bookworm, quiet and alone all the time. Seems like people wanted my constant attention. 

Despite that, no one really became successful in putting me in their circle. Why? It appears they can't handle my personality. First, I always glare and roll my eyes at them. Second, the moment guys don't respect the space I need after saying No, I hit them. Third, I tend to insult them when they're dumb. When Insung transferred to this school, that list had an addition. Fourth, I disgust by girls approaching me to be close to Insung. If they want him, then they could just go directly to him, why would they always bother me as if I hold the key to his heart? 

 

But what really made them think I shouldn't be part of their circle? My life status. Well, you can't have everything. I may have the face and the brain, but God didn't forget to remove money from my way of living. It was my parents' decision to put me in this school after I received a scholarship, free from all expenses. But staying here made me realize how far away the sky is from Earth.

"Jihyo, knock knock." 

I looked at the giraffe look-a-like sitting in front of me. In times like this that I wonder why I became friends with him. Kwang Soo and I are classmates since we were in Grade 7. I don't really want him but he's the only one persistent enough to put my name on a 1/4 sheet of paper as a member of his group, with him as the leader. All the time. At first, I scolded him for messing with my free will but I realized no one from my classmates is actually as smart as Kwang Soo. He just likes to throw jokes from time to time but he's a responsible student. With him, I don't have to play a hero and damage my mental health by putting the whole group of privileged kids on my shoulder. 

"Kwang Soo, are you seeing a door here?" 

"I just want to make you laugh. C'mon, Jihyo. Knock knock!" He tried again, more enthusiastic as if he was about to give the greatest pun of all. 

"Who's there?" I boredly replied, playing with my pasta. 

"Failure"

"Failure, who?" 

He cleared his throat. He fisted his hand and moved over his mouth, preparing to sing. Oh gosh, I'm getting embarrassed as early as now.

"If you failure sinking, I would jump right over into cold, cold, water for you." When he was done, he proceeded in laughing at his own joke. It was too loud that the whole cafeteria looked over us. 

I huffed in annoyance. That was when he was stopped by a hand covering his mouth. "That's enough, Kwang Soo!" 

"Insung! How was your 5th marriage?" Kwangsoo asked and once again laughed, successfully annoying Insung. He then sat down beside Kwang Soo, opposite mine. 

Oh right. Today is Valentine's Day. Insung just got back from his 5th forced marriage. Seeing his expression, he looks so exhausted. He tried to run away at first but later on, his own exhaustion caught up that he would just unwillingly offer his own hands to the wedding booth committee. 

"Why is it always required to have a Marriage Booth when Valentine's Day? They're ruining the sacredness of marriage. It should be a union of two people who love each other." He reasoned out while looking at me. 

Insung transferred to our school when we were in Grade 11. He easily got the guys to like him because well, he's your usual type of guy. Good in sports, smart, approachable, and obviously, good-looking making the girls swoon over him (not me). The guys would always ask him to join them when eating lunch or to play basketball after school and all groups want him as a member whether it was for a PE performance, roleplays, or reporting. 

But he ignored all of them and confidently went to our group led by Kwang Soo. Of course, Kwang Soo welcomed him with very open arms. I don't really remember how it happened, but I just found myself always with the two of them. They would wait for me in fixing my things so we could enter the cafeteria together. They would always accompany me when going home. Most of the time, it would only be Insung who takes me home. 

"What's this, Insung?" Kwang Soo asked as he noticed something from Insung's lap. 

"Oh, it's truffles from Alison."

Kwang Soo gasped. Well, it's truffles. Even I cannot deny how delicious that is. "Alison is in London now, right? You mean, that's truffles from London?" Kwang Soo asked, still amazed at seeing the expensive box of chocolate.

Alison is a former classmate who's head over heels for Insung. There were even times that she threatened me to get away from Insung. But how can I do that? It's Insung who's always sticking around me. Insung made it clear to her as well that she's not his type.

"I guess so." Insung flatly replied. "Jihyo, don't you like the pasta? What do you want? I can get it for you." 

He might have noticed I'm only playing with the pasta I ordered. "No need. I like it." I answered without looking at him.

"How 'bout this chocolate? You can have it if you want." He offered to me.

I finally looked at him. "No. I don't. I'm not really fond of truffles." Hell, of course, I am. That's truffles. I still remembered how I get so annoyed with my brother for eating most of the truffles my aunt gave to our family last Christmas. But there's no way I'll eat something from his admirers. 

"If Jihyo doesn't want it, I do." 

Before Insung could reply to Kwang Soo, he groaned seeing the familiar members of the marriage booth coming towards our table. "Fine, fine...I'll go with you. You don't have to tie me anymore." 

He unwillingly stood up and left his chocolate. I can't help but laugh at his expression. Poor, Insung. 

"He should just hit them, like you did so they would stop taking him." Kwang Soo commented while still watching Insung being dragged away. 

"Although that was effective, I don't suggest it. I spent the whole noon hungry in the guidance office." 

During the first day of the students' 3-day celebration of Valentine's Day, I was in a left and right forced marriage. I actually wanted to commend myself for my patience but those people really edged me. After the marriage, the couple needs to go on a date. We went to a mini-restaurant created by the HUMSS class and they have these cookies that instead of fortune, contain activities that a couple should do. 

I tolerated it at first but my date that time opened a cookie telling him to kiss.me.on.the.nose. Before his lips could land on me, I punched his mouth. It wasn't that bad since I still controlled my strength. But rumors went around and that was enough for those committee members to ignore requests of having me as their marriage partner. 

I remembered Insung discreetly handling my food in the guidance office. We both laughed as the situation looks like he was visiting a friend in jail. 

//

We decided to just wait for Insung in the cafeteria. 

"Jihyo, who's that college guy we met in a resort last year? Then we found out that he's Insung's cousin?" 

"Gong Yoo oppa?" 

"Yeah, he's behind you." 

I quickly turned around and squinted my eyes. "What are you doing here, jerk?" 

"Good morning to you too, punk. I'm in a hurry actually, I just came here to throw this." 

I didn't move and just looked dumbfounded at another brand of truffles. This one is familiar to me. This is the kind of truffle that would melt in your mouth that you'll be fooled into thinking that it's ice cream. 

"What am I going to do with that?" I challenged him. It's always fun to banter against him. 

"I don't know. You can take it to shower and use it as soap, I guess." I took note of the sarcasm. 

I didn't answer him and celebrated inside as he was starting to get annoyed. 

"I'm doing charity here, Jihyo. My es gave me too many chocolates that I don't know what to do with the others."  

I scoffed. Yeah, he calls his admirers es. "And you decided to be kind and give one to me?"

"Yeah, something like that. Take it now, Jihyo. I told you, I have somewhere else to go."

"I am not going to accept what your es gave you!" I stood my ground and fought him with my gaze. 

He looked away and I watched him mutter something that seems like a curse but I wasn't really able to hear it. "Look, I lied, okay? It's not from my es. I went to France last week and decided to buy this for you. Happy now?" His tone is now gentle but still a jerk though. 

 I contemplated whether to believe him or not. Guess what? His patience finally reached its limit. He groaned and went nearer me. "Why are you so stubborn?" 

"Because I'm not Jihyo without stubbornness." 

"Fine, you don't want this? Then I'll throw this." 

He walked towards the garbage bin and based on his expression, he was going to throw the expensive chocolate without any regrets. "Yah! Fine, fine, I'll have it. You privileged people." 

He only smirked at me and turned around. 

"What? You're leaving?" 

He didn't answer and just waved his hand. I almost wanted to run after him and kick the back of his head but I decided not to. "Thanks for throwing this to me!" I shouted before he could fully exit the cafeteria. 

"He's too scary," Kwangsoo commented. I forgot that he's still here. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter