Childhood

Who I Am - Part I

Ahyoung and Sanghyuk arrived to school as usual, Sanghyuk went ahead to the classroom while Ahyoung went to give back a book to the library. Once she did that, she was going to the classroom when something caught her attention; a black haired girl being dragged to the back of a wall.

Minah? She thought frowning.

She was about to let it pass but ended up not being able to, even more after what happened the previous day. Ahyoung walked in that direction and she stopped just a few steps from them, hiding behind the wall.

“Baekho won’t come to save you here, you must give me an answer Minah.”

The frown on Ahyoung’s face deepened, she didn’t like the way he was talking to Minah. She assumed it was Hakyeon by what he said.

“I already gave you an answer Hakyeon, please stop with this.”

Ahyoung sighed heavily, Minah sounded so insecure and spoke with a low voice.

“So, you chose him?”

“It was never a competition between you two, I told you already, I love you like a brother.”

“But I’m not!” He almost screamed in anger.

Ahyoung couldn’t remain still after that, so she came out from her hiding spot and walked to them, Minah looked at her and when she recognized who she was, she looked down. Hakyeon didn’t recognize her at first but then widened his eyes and bowed with his head a little.

“Ms. Ahyoung.” He said with respect.

“What’s happening here?” Ahyoung asked both of them.

Minah remained silent, as always. Meanwhile Hakyeon walked to Minah and put himself in front of her in order to cover her from Ahyoung.

“It’s my fault miss, she isn’t to blame at all. We were just discussing something and I reacted in a bad way.” Hakyeon answered while giving another little bow to her.

Ahyoung frowned to him because of two things. The first one being the fact that Hakyeon was actually giving her explanations when he obviously shouldn’t; one thing was Ahyoung being the heiress and another one she having the right to question about personal matters of others. And the second one, the way he was defending Minah when just a moment ago he was angrily talking to her. She didn’t like him.

“I wasn’t going to punish anyone or something like that, I just interfered with a conversation that was getting out of hand, just like any person would’ve done.” Ahyoung calmly explained to him. She then turned to see Minah. “It’s late, we’ve got to go Minah.”

The girl just nodded and went to her side.

“Goodbye Hakyeon.” Minah said to the boy.

“Goodbye Minah.” Hakyeon answered looking straight at her, then looked at Ahyoung and gave another head bow. “Goodbye Ms. Ahyoung.”

“Goodbye Hakyeon.” Ahyoung said, taking Minah from the shoulders and dragging her out of there.

Ahyoung could feel Hakyeon’s gaze glued to their backs, Minah was about to look back when Ahyoung put a bit more pressure on the girl’s shoulder, earning a curious look from Minah.

“Don’t look back Minah.” She just said.

The girl nodded lightly and they continued their way to the classroom. However, when they were in the stairs to get there, Ahyoung stopped and looked straight at Minah, the girl kept her gaze down.

“Look at me Minah.” Ahyoung said in a serious way.

Minah finally looked at her, Ahyoung could see a lot of emotions hidden in those red eyes. Fear, embarrassment, frustration, even a bit of anger.

“Thank you.” Minah said averting her gaze.

“Don’t look away when you’re talking to me.”

“Is that an order?” Minah asked looking back at her.

“Of course it isn’t.” Ahyoung frowned to her. “I’m in no place to order you, besides, we’re friends, right? Why would you think that?”

“It’s because of the way you talked to Hakyeon.” Minah started to explain. “Why didn’t you tell him to talk to you normally, like you did with Baekho yesterday?”

Ahyoung sighed and she was now the one to look away.

“This may sound hypocritical to you, but there are moments when I have to make use of my position and authority, and that moment was one of them.” She made a pause. “I don’t know Hakyeon but he was talking to you in a very intense way, he stopped only because of the fact that I’m the heiress of the race he belongs to.”

Minah seemed to understand the point and just nodded. Ahyoung sighed heavily and rubbed her neck in a tired way.

“Anyway, I’m sorry, maybe I shouldn’t have meddled in your stuff. I’ll make sure to not happen again, though if you need help you can come to me.”

Ahyoung turned around and was about to go away when she felt Minah’s hand holding her jacket’s sleeve, making her stop and turn around again to her.

“You don’t have to apologize, I’m grateful that you did that back there.” Minah made a pause and then looked straight at Ahyoung’s eyes. “I know we have class but, would you mind to remain here with me? I’d like to tell you a story.”

Ahyoung was taken aback by Minah’s straightforwardness and she couldn’t turn her down so she just nodded and both girls sat on the stairs. Ahyoung wasn’t surprised when Minah’s sudden confidence was completely gone the next moment, but she remained quiet for the girl to start speaking.

“Hakyeon is one of the most important persons in my life.” Minah started to say and Ahyoung looked at her, noticing Minah was nervously playing with her hands. “We’ve known each other for a very long time.”

 

-9 years ago-

Minah was a really active girl. Being born as a Mid Status vampire, she had a lot of freedom compared to those belonging to the High Status. People usually described her as a girl that was always smiling and talking, no matter who or what, she was always nice and gentle.

When she entered school she was known because of two things, being a good student but also a bit of a troublemaker.

She used to sneak out of classes and sometimes dragged more classmates with her. She was really smart and clever, therefore most of times she managed to escape punishment or being caught.

One day, when she was out of class, she saw a group of kids she hadn’t seen before, so she hid behind a bush and looked at them. They didn’t have red eyes, she frowned since she found that strange. She then remembered the existence of two more races apart from vampires, the demons and the assassins, she was wondering if they were one of those.

While she was thinking about that, her eyes landed on a boy with black hair. He caught her attention since he had the same hair color as her. She stared at him, as if by doing that she’d obtain her answer, she didn’t expect the boy to look in her direction. She knew she should’ve hid but for some reason she didn’t. The boy stopped walking and also stared at her. He was looking at Minah with the same curiousness she was looking at him.

Minah then looked at her surroundings to make sure no one was there and went to the boy. He at first took a step back upon seeing her approaching, Minah noticed that and stopped, she then smiled at him.

“I won’t do anything to you.”

The boy frowned a bit and tilted his head.

“Your eyes are weird.”

“Yours as well.” The girl pouted to him and crossed her arms.

He laughed a bit and Minah did the same.

“What’s your name?” The girl asked.

“Hakyeon, and yours?”

“Minah.” She answered with a proud smile. “What are you?”

“I’m an assassin.”

“So you’re assassins, it’s my first time seeing one of you.” She made a pause in which she looked at him from head to toes. “I bet you’re wondering what I am.” Minah finished in a mischievous way.

“A vampire.”

Minah dropped and frowned to the boy.

“That’s not fair, how did you know?” She threw a tantrum.

“You have red eyes and the teacher told us that vampires have red eyes.” Hakyeon explained as if it was obvious.

“But you said they were weird.”

“Because it’s also my first time seeing a vampire.”

Minah was about to say something else when a voice calling Hakyeon’s name could be heard. They knew it was a teacher and Minah widened her eyes in fear.

“Go hide in the bush again.” The boy instructed.

Minah didn’t know why but she obeyed him immediately, something she usually didn’t do. Not even three seconds later a teacher appeared and she seemed to be scolding Hakyeon, Minah felt a bit bad but the boy remained calm. When the teacher turned around before starting to walk again, Hakyeon finally looked towards her and gave her a big smile while waving goodbye. Minah smiled at him and also waved him goodbye.

That was their first encounter and the birth of an unexpected friendship.

Some weeks later, Minah’s school went to Hakyeon’s. She got to know that schools from each race sent their students to the other schools in order for them to know and see the characteristics of each race, though they weren’t allowed to interact with each other. It was a bit confusing for Minah but she didn’t really care about it, what she was focused in, was looking at her surroundings looking for the little boy she met before, she so hoped he attended that school and not another one.

Her teacher had especial attention over her, since she was aware of Minah’s capabilities, therefore, the girl didn’t have much room to sneak away. But the chance appeared when her teacher got distracted with a teacher from the assassin school, she quickly sneaked from the group and started to randomly walk through the school. She didn’t know where to look or how to find out if Hakyeon went to that school.

She was in the middle of that thought when a voice made her smile.

“Minah!”

The girl turned around and saw Hakyeon smiling at her, she ran to him and the boy took her hand, she was taken aback by that action and looked at him with a confused expression.

“Follow me.” Hakyeon said.

The boy ran and Minah followed him, still holding each other’s hand. Hakyeon guided her to a little garden in the back of the school, once there, he let go of her.

“They won’t catch us here.” Hakyeon proudly said.

Minah giggled and nodded.

“You also sneak out of classes?” The girl asked with curiosity.

“No, but I knew you were coming so I was looking for you.”

“How did you know it?”

“I heard some teachers talking about it.”

They talked a bit more about themselves and their worlds. Minah got to know Hakyeon liked to study and was actually a good student, most of times labeled as a role model, meanwhile Hakyeon knew Minah was the opposite to him, even when she wasn’t a really bad student she was nowhere near to be a role model.

They were aware they couldn’t remain together for a long time so after a couple of minutes, Minah decided to go back to her group. Hakyeon was a bit concerned by the fact she was going to be punished but Minah calmed him down by saying he did the same the last time.

They agreed to take all the chances they could to meet each other.

And they did.

Even when they weren’t allowed to meet with each other freely, with the passing years and the freedom that came with it, they managed to see each other more constantly. When they became teenagers they were able to see each other more constantly; not because they were allowed to but because they became better at coming up with excuses to get out of house to meet.

Things became easier when they started high school.

“Hakyeon!” Minah ran to the boy the moment she spotted him in between all the people.

Hakyeon smiled at her and opened his arms to receive her, Minah hugged him and Hakyeon did as well, lifting her and turning around with the girl.

They were now going to be able to see each other everyday and the best part of it was that they didn’t have to hide, since inside the high school it was quite accepted to interact between races.

Minah and Hakyeon were inseparable and a lot of people started to know them because of it. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until the day when everything broke apart arrived.

“What?”

Minah dragged Hakyeon to a secluded place of the school in order to tell him something, she was heavily blushed and played with her hands nervously.

“I just became Baekho’s girlfriend.” Minah repeated.

“But, why? I mean, he’s two years older than you.” Hakyeon answered dumbfounded.

“Come on, two years isn’t a lot.” Minah teased with a smile. “And why you ask, well I like him and he likes me too.” She finished saying as if it was obvious.

“No, you can’t.” Hakyeon firmly answered.

Minah’s smile faded when she heard Hakyeon’s voice, it suddenly became dark with a glimpse of anger contained in it, Minah had never heard his voice like that.

“What do you mean I can’t?” She asked tilting her head.

“There’s no way I’m accepting that relationship.” He angrily looked at her.

Minah frowned and looked back at him with confusion.

“But, I thought you’d be happy for me, you’re my best friend so I wanted you to be the first one to know.”

“I’m not your best friend!” The boy almost screamed and Minah froze upon that. “You’re aware of it don’t you? I won’t believe that you’re not.” He sadly chuckled.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Hakyeon took her by the arms and put her against the wall, looking straight at her eyes.

“I like you, I’ve liked you ever since we met! That first day I saw you when we were six years old I fell for you!”

Minah was now looking at him with a gaze of complete fear. She had never seen Hakyeon so angry and acting like that, it was like seeing a completely different person. Besides, the sudden confession and the way he did it left her without words.

“You won’t say anything?” Hakyeon asked her.

“I don’t know what to say.” Minah only managed to speak those words silently.

Hakyeon chuckled and freed her arms, putting a hand over his face. Minah immediately embraced herself, she wanted to run, escape from there, but she wasn’t able to, her body wouldn’t move and her mind wasn’t helping at all, everything was a mess.

“You don’t know what to say.” Hakyeon said when he finished chuckling, then put his hand down and looked at Minah. “Just come to me, let’s grow old together Minah, you know we’re meant for each other.” He finished saying extending a hand towards her.

There he was, the boy she’d known for the last nine years, those gentle eyes and sweet voice. The boy she’d come to dearly love like a brother, was talking to her again. But her heart was torn. She didn’t want to hurt him, she didn’t want to be the main cause of his pain, she didn’t want him to hold such feelings for her. Why? Why did things had to be like that?

Though another part of her clearly knew something like that was most likely to happen. They were too close, so close that even the people surrounding them most of times thought they were dating but since Hakyeon never mentioned anything about liking her neither seemed to care about those comments, Minah thought they held the same fraternal feelings towards each other and nothing more than that. Maybe she was just too naïve.

She looked at Hakyeon again but she didn’t know what to do. He was waiting for an answer but she was both reluctant and terrified. Reluctant to have to reject him and terrified by what could happen if she did that. Now that she had met that new face of him, she didn’t know what to expect.

“I…” Minah doubted.

“What are you afraid of?” Hakyeon asked putting his hand down. “We’ve known each other for a long time, it’s just natural for us to get together, right?”

Minah could see the love in Hakyeon’s eyes, his sincerity and also his illusion. She felt so bad, she knew she was supposed to crush those illusions if she wanted her friend’s feelings not to keep growing. But she wasn’t able, she couldn’t do it.

“I don’t know Hakyeon.” She finally said. “And the fact that I date Baekho doesn’t mean that I’ll marry him or something like that, I just want to experience what is like to be in a relationship with someone I like.”

“Does that mean that there’s still hope for me?” Hakyeon asked with hopes up.

If Hakyeon hadn’t been completely blinded by his desire and love, he would’ve noticed the emphasis Minah made when she said ‘with someone I like’ and also the look in her eyes that screamed ‘there’s no hope for you here’ after what he asked.

“Only time will say that. I like Baekho now and I don’t think that’ll change in the near time.”

“I’ll wait. I can wait for you, no matter how long, as long as there’s still hope I’ll be with you.”

Minah could feel chills run down her back, a bad feeling installed in her chest and she couldn’t get rid of it. But she knew that was just the beginning.

As she expected, things started to go downhill with Hakyeon. Even when the boy at first seemed like he accepted Minah’s relationship, just a month later he started to tell her to go to him and dump Baekho. She knew she was the one to give him hopes when she shouldn’t have but she never expected things to evolve to that extent; and not only with Hakyeon. The love she felt for Baekho just grew stronger with the passing days, she was now sure, even more than before, that she’d never have feelings towards Hakyeon, she’d never be able to offer him anything else than a friendship.

With the passing days, Minah started to lose her confidence, the bright smile and attitude that used to be characteristic of her faded away. And the main cause of it was Hakyeon.

Being friends for a long time meant that he knew her weak spots and he constantly made use of them to pressure Minah. Little by little, he started to crawl into her very insides and make her feel bad. Sojin and even Baekho talked to her and warned her about what Hakyeon was doing. Though it wasn’t that Minah wasn’t aware of it but for some reason she couldn’t do anything against him.

She felt guilty.

Guilty of the sudden change of her best friend, guilty of having hurt him that much, guilty for giving him hopes, guilty of what he was doing to himself and to her.

Everytime she wanted to put an end to everything, when she gathered enough confidence and courage, it just took a look from Hakyeon to disarm her. Seeing those brown eyes that had reflected her image through all those years, the gaze of that little boy she met nine years ago, remembering all the memories they had together, it was all it took to bring back the guilt and that new facet of hers.

She knew she had to cut all ties with Hakyeon, for the sake of both of them, but she just couldn’t, though another part of her also knew that it wasn’t that she couldn’t, she actually didn’t want to do it.

 

At the end of Minah’s story, Ahyoung couldn’t find the right words to say. She could now understand a lot of things but it was hard for her to take a stand in the story. Both Minah and Hakyeon were wrong and their relationship wasn’t healthy anymore.

“I know what you’re thinking.” Minah suddenly said. “And I also know what you want to ask so I’ll give you an answer. I don’t have any plans and I still don’t have the courage to do what I’m supposed to.”

Ahyoung sighed and looked at Minah, the girl had her gaze down, so Ahyoung put a hand over hers. That action made Minah look at her, to what she gently smiled.

“I’m in no place to judge you, I know you have what it’s needed to escape this mess. So I’ll just say you can come to me anytime you want or if you need something, I’ll do my best to support you.”

Minah visibly relaxed and smiled at Ahyoung, it was the first time she had seen a sincere smile on the girl’s face. She noticed the girl’s eyes started to get teary and she hugged her, Minah hugged her back and Ahyoung let her vent it all out while she patted her back trying to give her some comfort.

They returned to the classroom during the second class, Sanghyuk looked at Ahyoung with questioning eyes but she whispered to him that later she’d explain everything.

During lunch she had a talk with Sanghyuk, explaining what happened with Minah, though not telling him the whole story between Hakyeon and her. Sanghyuk nodded in understanding and they continued with their meals.

 

The bell of the end of the day rang and Ahyoung stretched on her seat.

“Finally it’s done.”

“You don’t have the right to say that, you even skipped one class today.” Sanghyuk teased while putting all his stuff inside his backpack.

“Shut up.” She said with a smile standing from her seat.

Hongbin passed by her side and bid farewell to her, she did the same with a smile.

“Seems like you two get along pretty well.” Sanghyuk pointed out also standing up.

“Well, he’s not a jerk like Jonghyun and he’s really nice.” Ahyoung answered still smiling.

They went out of the classroom and were walking to the car when Sanghyuk suddenly stopped and started to look for something in his backpack.

“What is it?” The girl asked with curiosity.

“Damn, I forgot something in the classroom, go on ahead I’ll be right back.” Sanghyuk told her, closing his backpack.

“Okay, I’ll see you there.”

Sanghyuk nodded and went back, Ahyoung chuckled, turned around and was about to start walking when a voice made her stop.

“Ahyoung.”

She turned around and frowned when she saw Jonghyun.

“What do you want?” She angrily asked while crossing her arms.

“I thought you wouldn’t talk to me again.” Jonghyun said with a smirk.

Ahyoung snorted and rolled her eyes before turning around again and start to walk in the opposite direction.

“Wait!” She heard him say but she ignored him

She wasn’t in the mood to deal with him.

“Ahyoung!” He tried again in a louder voice.

The girl kept firm in her decision and kept walking, she was surprised when she heard rushed steps by her side and suddenly seeing Jonghyun standing in front of her.

“Ahyoung, stop.”

“Can you please stop saying my name? It’s annoying hearing you sayin-”

“Do you have time?” He cut her off.

“Huh?” It was all she could ask completely confused.

“I’d like to have a talk with you, I won’t make more jokes I promise.”

Ahyoung frowned, she was confused by Jonghyun’s attitude. She could see he was being completely serious about that, his eyes had their complete attention over her and for a moment he seemed sincere. Quite a rare sight, Ahyoung inferred. Even when she told Jonghyun she wouldn’t get along with him at all and promised Sanghyuk she wouldn’t involve with the demon, she was curious about what Jonghyun could want to talk with her for him to be that serious and sincere.

The girl sighed heavily and closed her eyes for a brief moment, after that, she looked at Jonghyun again.

“Okay, but make it quick, I have to go back home.”

 

A/N: As always, thank you so so much for reading, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3