Confrontation

Who I Am - Part I

Sanghyuk arrived early at Ahyoung’s house, like usual, at the start of the week. Ahyoung bid farewell to her parents and went out, there, she greeted Sanghyuk before they entered the car and went away.

“Hey, I won’t be with you during the first period.” Sanghyuk suddenly said to her.

“Oh, why?” She asked looking at him with a curious stare.

“I need to attend some matters back at home.” He vaguely explained. “I’ll arrive during the second period.”

Ahyoung wondered what those ‘matters’ were but since Sanghyuk didn’t tell her more, she knew it would be pointless to ask him about it because he wouldn’t tell her more.

“Alright, I hope everything goes well, I’ll wait for you at the second period.” Ahyoung answered with a smile.

Sanghyuk also smiled and nodded without looking away from the road.

When they arrived to the school, Ahyoung got out of the car and after closing the door, she leaned on the window to look at Sanghyuk, who also looked at her.

“You’ll be okay, right?” She asked a bit worried.

Sanghyuk gave her a reassuring smile before answering.

“Don’t worry it isn’t anything serious. I’m more worried about you though.” He finished with a chuckle.

Ahyoung snorted with a smile that quickly faded and looked at him with a serious expression again.

“You don’t need my help?”

“No, it’s okay. Now go to class or you’ll be late.”

Ahyoung nodded and gave him a faint smile before turning around to go away, though after she took some steps, she was stopped by Sanghyuk’s voice.

“Ahyoung!” The boy said aloud and she turned around to look at him. “Try not to get yourself killed.” He said with a mocking smile.

“Worry about yourself!” The girl answered him turning around again.

Ahyoung was able to hear Sanghyuk’s laughter after she turned around and the car starting to move. She stopped and looked back again to follow the car with her eyes until it was gone.

>> “Do you trust me?”

Sanghyuk’s question came back to her mind and she frowned. Something must have happened to Sanghyuk for him to ask her something like that. Not to mention the expression he had on his face that day, it was as if he was suffocating, he seemed scared and lost.

I wonder what are you keeping from me. Ahyoung thought with a sigh.

The girl then walked towards her classroom. Things were really calm during the first period; not having Sanghyuk sitting beside her, she was left with no option but to pay complete attention to her classes, she could almost swear it was the first time she listened to her lessons from start to end.

Finally the bell that announced the break rang and Ahyoung was thinking about what to do or where to go when a familiar one stood in front of her desk.

“I noticed Sanghyuk is absent.” Hongbin said looking at the empty seat beside Ahyoung.

Ahyoung smiled towards the demon and also looked to her side.

“Yeah, he’ll be back in the next period.”

“I see.” Hongbin said in a thoughtful way.

Ahyoung chuckled and tilted her head.

“What?” She asked him.

Hongbin looked at her again with a smile.

“What about having lunch together?”

“Sure.” She excitedly answered.

She actually had lunch with Hongbin every once in a while, the two started to become really good friends and Ahyoung was getting to know more things about demons from him.

Hongbin and Ahyoung went outside of the classroom, they were directing to the cafeteria while cheerfully talking along the way. Just when they were about to reach the cafeteria, someone stood in front of them, making the two stop and look to the front.

Ahyoung frowned when she saw the person in front of them, she was able to see how Hongbin tensed up upon his presence. The girl sighed and crossed her arms.

“What are you doing here?” She asked with a serious tone.

Jonghyun looked at her with a frown and then centered his attention on Hongbin, he looked at him from head to toes and then just snorted with a mocking smile.

The girl’s frown deepened after that action.

What is his problem? She thought annoyed.

The demon then looked back at Ahyoung and his smirk faded, putting up a serious expression again.

“Come with me.” Jonghyun said.

Out of nowhere, he took one of Ahyoung’s hand and tried to drag her away, however, the girl immediately freed from his hold.

“The hell are you doing?” She angrily asked.

“I need to talk with you.” Jonghyun answered as if it was obvious.

Ahyoung snorted in disbelief, and looked away for a second, she then looked at him again with an angered expression.

“Listen, the fact that we agreed to be friends doesn’t mean you can come to me at any time and just drag me away just because you have something to say.”

Jonghyun sighed angrily and closed his eyes for a moment. Ahyoung really couldn’t understand him. One day he was like any normal person and would behave like one, and the other he would go back being the jerk she first met. She couldn’t decipher his mind or what did he want.

“I don’t have time for this, come with me.” Jonghyun said opening his eyes with a serious expression.

“I won’t.” Ahyoung answered crossing her arms again.

Jonghyun frowned and tilted his head a bit, narrowing his eyes.

“What did you say?” He asked, Ahyoung could notice a glimpse of hostility in his voice.

But she wouldn’t be intimidated by him, she was already used to his stupid behavior, just when she was about to answer him, a third voice joined the conversation.

“She already said she won’t go with you, what’s your problem?”

Ahyoung looked surprised at Hongbin, who was glaring at Jonghyun. She didn’t expect him to actually speak at all, after all, it was the heir of his race the one in front of them. Jonghyun turned his gaze towards Hongbin.

“And you are?” Jonghyun asked in a mockingly way.

Hongbin snorted and held his gaze with the other boy.

“Don’t play dumb, you clearly know who I am.”

Jonghyun snorted and looked away. Ahyoung frowned upon Hongbin’s remark and Jonghyun’s reaction, it was more than obvious that they knew each other and didn’t get along.

>> “It’s actually well known that the two don’t get along. Mostly because Hongbin is in favor of equality and, as you already know, Jonghyun is completely against it.”

She remembered what Sanghyuk told her once and looked at both boys alternatively. Waiting for them to continue speaking.

“This has nothing to do with you so remain silent.” Jonghyun then said.

“It has to do with me, Ahyoung is my friend and you’re bothering her.” Hongbin retorted angrily.

Jonghyun then looked at Ahyoung, the girl also looked at him straight in the eyes.

“I see you become friends with just anyone around you, then why did you make it hard for me when I proposed you so?” Jonghyun asked with curiosity.

Ahyoung was about to answer when Hongbin stepped in again.

“Isn’t it obvious? It’s because of your attitude, everyone hates you for that.” Hongbin venomously answered.

The girl then frowned towards Hongbin, even when Jonghyun was indeed wrong in what he was doing, what Hongbin said was just too much.

“I don’t see why you keep talking, you’re below everyone here, you don’t even have the right to talk to Ahyoung or me.” Jonghyun answered with a smirk. “Accept it, you’ll never be even near me.”

“Enough!” Ahyoung raised her voice.

Hongbin and Jonghyun looked at her with surprised expressions. They didn’t expect her to react like that. Ahyoung first looked at Hongbin with a disappointed expression, she could see he was a bit hurt by that since he couldn’t keep his gaze over her and looked away. She then turned to look at Jonghyun with a furious expression, unlike the other, the demon held her gaze, it was almost like a competition to see who looked away first. Ahyoung acknowledged Jonghyun wasn’t intending to look away, so she spoke.

“I thought you’d have changed at least a bit by now but I see you’re still the same jerk I first met.” She hissed and Jonghyun frowned. “I don’t know what are you trying to achieve with this but I’m done with you, maybe you don’t know the basic manners but what you just did is rude and disgusting. I won’t talk with you.”

Jonghyun was about to say something but she turned to see Hongbin again and spoke to him.

“And you.” Hongbin lifted his gaze, looking at her like a child that was being scolded. “You’re way better than him for you to put yourself at his level, the moment you play along in his game, you lose. Besides, I don’t need you to speak for me, if you do that again, I’m afraid I won’t be your friend anymore.”

Hongbin remained silent and Ahyoung knew he got her point, so she looked back at Jonghyun who was still looking at her with a frown, though he didn’t seem to have the intention to talk either. She got lost in those eyes for a couple of seconds more, that eye color she had now seen countless times, but Jonghyun’s eyes were different, she couldn’t quite point out what but they were. She assumed it had to do with the fact he was the heir, even when inside her mind she was clearly aware that wasn’t it at all.

Ahyoung finally broke eye contact with Jonghyun and went away. Jonghyun followed her with his eyes and then looked back at Hongbin, the demon in front of him was glaring at him, he seemed to be eager to do something, maybe ripping his head off, but Jonghyun knew he couldn’t do it, he’d never be able to do it and he so enjoyed to see that frustration reflected in Hongbin’s expression. Jonghyun just snorted with a mocking smirk and went away as well.

 

Ahyoung was walking through the halls, she wasn’t hungry anymore so she’d just wait at the classroom for the second period to start, she didn’t want to face anyone else.

Luck didn’t seem to be on her side that day.

She had to stop when another person blocked her way for the second time that day, even when she was annoyed by that fact, she just looked with a serious gaze to the girl in front of her.

“Come with me.” The girl said in an authoritative tone.

Ahyoung couldn’t help but snort.

They’re definitely two of a kind. She thought amused.

The girl in front of her turned around and started to walk, Ahyoung was tempted to just ignore her and let her go alone, she thought it’d be quite a sight seeing her reaction to that.

>> “Try not to get yourself killed.”

After remembering those words from Sanghyuk, she gave in, after all, making that girl angry couldn’t lead to anything good. So Ahyoung followed her. The girl stopped at a garden, Ahyoung narrowed her eyes when she recognized the place, it was where she and Jonghyun talked for the first time like decent people.

“I assume you’re wondering who I am.” The girl said, not facing Ahyoung.

“Tiffany.” Ahyoung simply answered.

Tiffany slowly turned around to face her, Ahyoung could see a glimpse of amusement in the girl’s eyes. She’d be lying if she said it didn’t made chills ran down her back, but she did her best to suppress them, not making it visible to the demon in front of her.

>> “She’s known for being extremely vicious and dangerous.”

Ahyoung could now understand Sojin’s words, as well as why everyone was so worried about Tiffany putting her attention on her.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Ahyoung.” Tiffany said with a sweet voice, though the hostility contained in it could still be noticed.

Ahyoung just nodded and remained silent for the girl to continue speaking.

“Are you aware of my position?” Tiffany then asked, faking an innocent voice tone.

Ahyoung sighed and tilted her head before answering.

“The daughter of the second strongest family of demons and also Jonghyun’s fiancée.”

“There” Tiffany pointed out. “That’s exactly what you have to remember.”

Tiffany then cut the distance between them and when she was just centimeters apart from Ahyoung’s face, she spoke again with a threatening tone.

“I’m betrothed to Jonghyun, he’s mine.”

Ahyoung frowned and held her gaze for some seconds, she could feel the threat and also the danger, but she wouldn’t subdue to her. She then chuckled and crossed her arms.

“Is this all because of a boy?” She asked with a slight mocking tone in her voice. “Don’t worry I don’t even want him. I pity you, it seems your entire life revolves around him.”

Ahyoung was able to see the fury build up inside the demon but she was done with her so she passed by her side, pushing her slightly with her shoulder. What she didn’t expect was Tiffany grabbing her from the arm and making her turn around again.

“Say that again.” Tiffany hissed, rage showing in her voice and eyes. “You think you’re better than me? Insignificant assassin.”

Ahyoung brushed her off and glared at her. She knew she was playing with fire so she adopted a defensive stand, getting ready in case Tiffany decided to attack her.

“I don’t think I’m superior to anyone, but what I’m sure about is that you don’t even deserve my time.”

“You think you’re untouchable just because you’re the heiress?” Tiffany asked with a smile. “Just you wait, I’ll make you fall from your pedestal and I’ll enjoy it like you have no idea.”

Ahyoung frowned, that wasn’t just an empty threat, the bloodlust reflected in her eyes threw Ahyoung off, she wondered what Tiffany was thinking and what she meant by that. Maybe if she provoked her further, the girl would say more.

“Why waiting? Just come if you dare and make me fall like you so want to do.” Ahyoung provoked her.

She knew it was just stupid and completely reckless to do so, even more after what she learnt back at the training camp with Ryeowook. Ahyoung cursed in her insides when she started to feel dizzy and her vision started to blur and be tainted in red. She didn’t know why but Tiffany didn’t keep threatening her, in fact, she seemed a bit surprised. Ahyoung wanted to ask about it but suddenly a third party arrived.

“Alright ladies, enough, remember fighting inside the school can bring you two trouble, and we don’t want that, right? It’ll be bad for the reputation of you both.”

Ahyoung couldn’t see the face of the boy who wasn’t facing her, he was standing in between Tiffany and her but she kind of recognized the voice, she just couldn’t match it with the face.

“Hmph, it doesn’t matter anymore.” She could hear Tiffany say.

Ahyoung was so focused on trying not to pass out that almost missed the sound of Tiffany’s steps going away and the boy in front of her asking countless times if she was alright. When she pulled herself together a bit more, she closed her eyes with a frown and sighed.

“I’m fine, I just need a moment.” She told the boy.

“Come, sit here.” The boy said while taking her by the arm and guiding her to a near bench.

Once sitting there, Ahyoung still needed a few more minutes to completely recover, she felt proud when she managed to do so without passing out, the boy beside her waited patiently for her to pull herself together. She opened her eyes, noticing the red blur was already gone, and looked at the boy sitting next to her. She frowned when she recognized him.

“JR?” She asked confused.

“Feeling better?” The boy asked looking worriedly at her.

“Yes, thank you for your help.” Ahyoung answered putting a hand over her head.

“Don’t mention it, I’m glad I arrived in time, some more seconds and things could’ve got complicated.” JR answered with a smile.

Ahyoung studied his face, it wasn’t common to see the boy smiling, everyone described him as aloof and cold, even Ahyoung labeled him as that, she couldn’t understand him.

“Why did you step in?” Ahyoung asked with curiosity.

“What do you mean?” JR asked back, not looking at her.

“Well, it’s not like you involve yourself in the matters of others and you hardly speak to anyone. You could just have ignored us and walk away, why would you help me?”

JR sighed and leaned on the bench, Ahyoung kept her curious stare over him.

“I don’t know, maybe it’s because I don’t dislike you that much.” JR said in a more serious way.

Ahyoung was at a loss, she didn’t know what to talk about with him, so she just came up with the first thing that crossed her mind.

“Sanghyuk said that you’re also an assassin.”

JR chuckled after hearing that, making Ahyoung more confused.

“Well, officially that’s what I’m supposed to be.”

“What do you mean with that?”

The boy looked at her and smirked.

“I’m a spy.”

Ahyoung frowned, at first she thought he was playing with her and it was just a joke, but something in his eyes made her believe him, though if that was indeed true, Ahyoung didn’t know what to think, what was that even supposed to mean?

“A spy? For whom?”

“Whoever that can afford to pay for information.” JR simply answered.

“I’ve never heard of spies in this world before, so I assume you’re not supposed to exist, why would you tell me that secret? Don’t you think I’ll disclose your identity?”

JR then approached her face, Ahyoung instinctively retreated a bit and he smirked.

“I know you’ll keep my secret, because I also know yours.” He said in a whisper.

“My secret? The hell are you talking about?” She asked him in confusion.

The boy chuckled and leaned again on the bench. Ahyoung remained frozen in her spot, thinking about how dealing with JR was harder than dealing with Tiffany and Jonghyun.

“Anyway, take this.” JR suddenly said.

Ahyoung turned to see him and noticed he was extending something to her, Ahyoung at first doubt to take it, but in the end did. JR left a small device on her hand, it was a round device that when opened it had just one button on it.

“What is this?” Ahyoung asked still looking at it.

“It’s a special tool of spies, when you activate it, it’ll send me a gps location of where you are, it can only be used once. If you ever need any information, just activate it and I’ll arrive to where you are as soon as possible.” JR explained not looking at her.

Ahyoung frowned after that explanation and directed her gaze to JR.

“Why are you giving this to me?” She asked in confusion.

“I don’t know, maybe one day you can need it.” He said looking at the sky.

Ahyoung noticed the expression over his face was different, he had the kind of look of someone who longs for something, who lost something or maybe someone who regretted something. Just when she was about to ask about it, JR turned to look at her with a complete different expression, a smirk was shown on his face.

“That if you’re willing to pay the price for the information.”

“What?” Ahyoung blinked a couple of times.

“Everything has a price, information isn’t the exception.” JR answered like it was obvious.

Ahyoung snorted and looked away with a smile.

“If you don’t want it you can return it to me.” JR said starting to approach his hand to the device Ahyoung kept in her hand.

The girl lifted her hand, keeping the device out of JR’s reach.

“I’ll keep it, thanks for this.” Ahyoung answered with a fake smile.

JR also smiled at her, though she knew it was also a fake smile. Ahyoung didn’t quite trust JR, he was way too cryptic for her and he seemed to be enveloped in a lot of secrets. She kind of wanted to know more about him but the bell that announced the end of the break rang.

“Time to go back.” JR said standing from the bench. “Let’s go, Ms. Heiress.” He finished saying.

“Ahyoung.” She corrected him and JR looked at her in confusion. “My name is Ahyoung.”

JR smiled, this time genuinely, Ahyoung did the same and then stood up. The two walked back together to the classroom.

 

A/N: As always, thank you so so much for reading, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3