Weekend

Who I Am - Part I

Sanghyuk and Ahyoung were back at home after they finished the school week. When the boy parked the car, Ahyoung stretched in her seat and looked at him with a smile.

“Do you want to stay to eat? I bet they prepared a delicious meal.”

“Thanks but no, I have things to do back at home.” Sanghyuk rejected her in a polite way.

Ahyoung tilted her head and narrowed her eyes.

“You actually never want to enter my house, the only time you did was when we were introduced. Is there a reason why you don’t want to be here?”

Sanghyuk chuckled and gave her a light hit on her forehead before answering.

“Stop making conspiracy theories in your mind. There’s nothing behind it, I just have more things to do since I have to take care of the younger ones at home.”

Ahyoung sighed and leaned on her seat again. Sanghyuk then looked at her and noticed she had that stare which said she was feeling down, he snorted with a smile.

“Hey don’t feel bad.” He tried to cheer her up. “It actually isn’t that terrible, we have each other there, it isn’t lonely at all.”

“Though there shouldn’t be a place like that to begin with, why must children have to become foster because their parents die trying to protect everyone else?” She made a pause. “I’ve been thinking about it for a while. There shouldn’t be a situation like that, why can’t everyone just live in peace?” The girl finished saying in a thoughtful way.

“That’s a really naïve thought.” Sanghyuk said in a serious tone, Ahyoung was about to retort when Sanghyuk spoke again, looking at her with a smile. “But also a ray of hope, if only just one person can think like that, it means that kind of thought can spread with the correct support, I’ll root for you Ms. Heiress.”

Ahyoung chuckled and smiled fondly towards him.

“Then I’ll be counting on you Sanghyuk.”

After that brief talk, they bid farewell and Sanghyuk went away, Ahyoung stayed outside until the car was gone and she then looked at the blue sky, it was actually a nice sunny day. She then looked towards the direction where the car was gone and wondered how the place Sanghyuk stayed in was like, even when he said it wasn’t lonely or that bad at all, she kind of knew those were lies.

It must be hard. She thought discouraged.

She wanted to do something for Sanghyuk and all the kids there but she was aware she still didn’t have the power to do so, besides, she trusted her parents were doing everything they could to help them. So she would focus on learning everything she had to and work hard to one day become a great leader.

>> “I’ll root for you Ms. Heiress.”

I won’t let you down Sanghyuk, we’ll change this world, we’ll do it together. She thought with a smile.

Ahyoung then went inside her house.

“I’m home.” She announced while closing the front door.

“Hello dear, how was your day?” Seohyun asked her daughter standing from the couch and approaching her.

“It was good, just the usual.” Ahyoung answered with a smile.

“Do you have something to do tomorrow?”

“No, I don’t have that much homework so I can finish it today. Why do you ask?”

“Your uncle Ryeowook wants you to go to the training camp tomorrow.”

Ahyoung’s expression lit up and a huge smile appeared on her face.

“Are you serious? I can finally start training again?” She asked with excitement.

“Easy there my girl, it’s just for you to watch how the trainings are. Kind of like a demonstration for you.” Seohyun explained.

Ahyoung sighed and pouted.

“I want to train again, why did you forbid me from doing it since we came here? I used to train everyday back in the human world.” She complained.

Seohyun chuckled upon her daughter’s cuteness and put a hand over her head.

“It’s not the same to train here than in the human world. You’ll understand it tomorrow.” Was the only explanation her mother gave her.

“Fine.” Ahyoung surrendered.

“Now go eat something and then do your homework, or else I won’t allow you to go to the training camp tomorrow.”

Ahyoung nodded to her and went to the stairs in order to leave the backpack in her room but stopped at the middle of the stairs and looked at her mother again.

“Mom.”

“Yes?” She answered also looking at her.

“I want to start preparing myself for the leadership.”

Seohyun frowned and bit and looked at her daughter with attention.

“You still have plenty of time to get ready for it, why the sudden interest?”

“It’s just that I realized I’ll have a lot of responsibilities over my shoulders and also, there are a lot of things I want to learn, no, that I need to learn.” Ahyoung answered averting her mother’s gaze.

Seohyun narrowed her eyes, something changed in Ahyoung and now she was suddenly interested in the leadership, which meant she was starting to get to know things. They needed to be cautious.

“I’ll talk about it with your father. I’m sure there must be something with which you can start.” Seohyun answered with a smile.

Ahyoung smiled at her and nodded.

“Thank you, mom.” The girl answered and ran the rest of the stairs to her room.

Seohyun’s smile faded when her daughter was out of sight, she sighed. She was aware that day would arrive but she didn’t expect it to be that soon.

I need to talk with Leeteuk. She thought directing to the studio in which her husband was in.

 

The next morning, Ahyoung woke up with excitement and quickly got ready to go out. Her father was already waiting for her when she went down.

“Ready?” Leeteuk asked her with a smile.

Ahyoung nodded with a huge smile and they went to the training camp. From the outside it didn’t seem like a huge place but once inside, it was a completely different story. Ahyoung was amazed by what it looked like, there were a lot of different places in which they trained specific things and also a huge plain camp where the trainees battled with each other.

“It seems you like it Ahyoung.”

The girl turned to the left and saw Ryeowook walking towards her and her father.

“It’s awesome.” She answered looking back at the whole training camp.

Ryeowook chuckled and greeted Leeteuk.

“Are you sure about this?” Leeteuk asked him.

Ahyoung frowned a bit upon that question but decided not to look back at them, trying to make it seem as if she wasn’t paying attention to them.

“Relax, Sooyoung will be with her. If something comes up, we know what to do. We’ll take care of her, don’t worry.” Ryeowook assured him.

“Alright, I’ll leave her in your care then.”

Ahyoung turned around and looked at her father with her head tilted.

“I thought you were staying with me.”

“I’m sorry dear, but I have some matters to attend.” Leeteuk apologized putting a hand over her head.

“That’s what happens when you’re the leader, you never rest. I feel sorry for you Teuk.” Ryeowook .

“Shut up, Ryeowook.” Leeteuk answered with a laugh.

Ahyoung smiled at that sight, it was great seeing her father and her uncle getting along so well.

“I’ll come pick you up later Ahyoung, have fun.” Leeteuk then said to her with a smile.

Ahyoung nodded to him and they bid farewell. When Leeteuk was gone, Ryeowook looked at his niece with a smile.

“Come with me Ahyoung, we’re going to the first stop.”

They went to the section that taught the basic fighting moves, Sooyoung was in charge of that place. Ahyoung didn’t know her aunt could be that scary. Sooyoung was pretty strict and perfectionist so she constantly scolded her students and corrected their postures and moves. They stayed there for some minutes until the training was done. Ahyoung was able to see the relieved faces of the trainees when the training was done.

“What do you think?” Sooyoung asked her when she approached them. “I bet you already know all of this.”

“Well yeah, but I’m sure there are still things I need to improve.” Ahyoung awkwardly answered.

Sooyoung laughed a bit and then looked at Ryeowook with a more serious expression.

“Are you ready? It’s time for the meditation class.”

“Yeah, we should go there.” Ryeowook answered to her, then looked at Ahyoung, the girl noticed he still had a serious expression on his face. “Ahyoung, we’ll move to the meditation class but I need to warn you about something. This’ll be different, if you start to feel sick or bad at any moment you have to immediately tell your aunt, alright?”

Ahyoung nodded out of impulse, so Ryeowook talked again.

“I need you to promise me you’ll do it. If you don’t, then things could get dangerous, do you understand what I’m saying?”

How the hell am I supposed to understand? I’m confused as hell. Ahyoung thought with frustration.

But the girl knew there had to be a reason for her uncle to be that serious, so she only needed to make sure to follow his instructions. She could ask about that at the end of the training.

“Yes, I understand. I promise I’ll do as you say.” Ahyoung firmly said.

Ryeowook smiled lightly and nodded. They went to the meditation room, before entering, Ahyoung was told to put on a mask, she didn’t understand why but she did it. She noticed that Sooyoung and Ryeowook as well wore masks and what amazed her the most was that the students were already gathered there and all of them wore masks. Ahyoung stopped on her track for a moment because of the impression.

“Don’t worry dear, it’s part of the training.” Sooyoung reassured her and put a hand on her shoulder.

Once Ryeowook took his spot at the front of the class and Sooyoung with Ahyoung remained behind him, he started the class. The instruction was simple, just meditate. Ahyoung was confused by the whole thing but she trusted her uncle would explain everything to her once the class was over.

The first minutes were fine, though suddenly, Ahyoung started to feel short of breath, she couldn’t quite explain it but she felt as if the walls surrounding her were closing on her. Then her head started to throb. She clearly remembered she had to tell her aunt she was feeling unwell, she promised it, but she wanted to be strong, to prove herself. Suddenly, her vision blurred but also started to be tainted with red. She couldn’t help but groan and close her eyes while holding her head.

“Take her away.” She could hear her uncle say.

Ahyoung just felt her aunt carrying her and taking her outside of the place, she wanted to tell her she was fine but she couldn’t speak, her senses were also a mess and she was disoriented in time and space. She didn’t know when she fainted but when she recovered completely, she was laying on a couch with her head over Sooyoung’s lap.

“You’re awake.”

She looked down and saw Ryeowook checking on her pulse and smiling at her.

“What happened?” Ahyoung asked starting to sit, Sooyoung supported her.

“You fainted because of the energy.” Ryeowook explained to her.

“What?” Ahyoung asked in confusion now completely seated and with a hand over her head.

“I’m sure my sister told you that you’d come to understand why the training here is different than in the human world.” Ahyoung nodded remembering her mother’s words and Sooyoung continued. “As you saw, part of the training here consists in meditation, we do that in order for the assassins to get used to the vampires and demons energy. Their energy is stronger than ours, when they don’t use it against us, we’re not affected by it and can be around them without a problem, just like how you’re with them everyday at school; but when they put it to use, they can affect us, just like what you experienced right now.”

“Wait, but does that mean that there were demons and vampires back there?” Ahyoung asked in surprise.

“Yes, that’s the reason why we use masks in that place, so the trainees can’t spot them and that way they can’t prepare for the exposure in advance. There are days when there aren’t any or times when there are plenty.” Ryeowook explained.

Ahyoung nodded in understanding and then lowered her gaze.

“Actually, I have to apologize.” She started to say. “I didn’t follow your instructions and didn’t tell aunt Sooyoung I was feeling unwell.”

“Don’t worry, we were already expecting you not to follow our commands.” Ryeowook said and Ahyoung lifted her gaze to saw her uncle looking at her with understanding. “We know our niece and you aren’t the type of girl who’d agree to something like that at all. That’s why we were there checking on you and Sooyoung took you away before something bad could happen, so it’s alright.”

Even when her uncle reassured her, she was still feeling bad for not obeying him so she didn’t ask further questions.

“Well then, it’s time for you to go home, you missed the rest of the training but don’t worry you can come back some other day.” Sooyoung said to her with a smile.

Ahyoung nodded to her with a smile, Leeteuk then went inside the room, he had a worried expression on his face and glared at Ryeowook for a moment.

“Okay before you start making a scene here, I’ll explain everything to you.” Ryeowook immediately said while standing up and took Leeteuk to another place.

The talk wasn’t long since just a couple of minutes later, they were back into the room Ahyoung and Sooyoung were in.

“Let’s go back home dear, I’m sure you must be tired.” Leeteuk said to Ahyoung, stretching a hand towards her.

Ahyoung took her father’s hand and stood at his side.

“Make sure she rests well, she’ll be fine after that.” Sooyoung instructed him.

Leeteuk nodded to her, then they bid farewell. During the ride back home, Ahyoung was silent, she noticed her father stole worried glances to her from time to time so she decided to reassure him.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? I’m worried it might have been too much for you.”

“It was at first but right now I’m alright, I don’t even feel tired.” She sincerely said. “Rest assured, I’m truly fine.”

Leeteuk seemed to be more relieved to hear those words from his daughter so he just nodded and smiled to her. When they reached home, they noticed there was another car parked in front of it.

“Seems like we have guests.” Leeteuk said.

 

The guests turned out to be Sojin and Taekwoon. Ahyoung was happy to see her, and greeted her with a hug, which Sojin corresponded.

“What are you doing here?” Ahyoung asked her with a smile.

“Actually, I’m here to see your parents, there’s something we need to talk about and we were waiting for your father.” Sojin said in a more serious tone.

“Let’s move to the studio.” Leeteuk said, Ahyoung was about to go to her room but her father stopped her. “You’re coming as well Ahyoung.”

Confused, she followed everyone to the studio. Once inside with the door closed, Leeteuk sat on the chair behind his desk while the rest sat on the couches there.

“Ahyoung, I know we usually don’t let you hear the official matters, but your mother told me you want to start learning about the leadership, so from now on, you’ll be able to attend some meetings, alright?” Leeteuk explained.

Ahyoung nodded him and Leeteuk gave her a little smile, he then turned to Sojin and changed his expression to a serious one.

“Now Sojin please tell me, why did you want to see us?”

“I have a message from my father.” Leeteuk frowned and remained silent for the girl to continue. “We’re still not completely sure about it and we still need to investigate more into the matter but there’s a rebellion suspicion in the vampire’s realm.”

“What?” Seohyun asked with a frown.

Sojin sighed and explained further the situation.

“This is a matter we’ve been cautiously following since a year ago. We haven’t made it public nor made any great move since we don’t want to make them aware we already know it but these last weeks, things seem to be starting to complicate. The rumors are growing stronger and there had been some confrontations with the assassins, I’m sure you’re aware of it.”

Ahyoung turned to see her father and he just nodded towards Sojin. He sighed and intertwined his hands, putting his mouth over them.

“Do you know who’s behind it?” Leeteuk asked in a complete serious way.

“We know it’s one of the High Status families.” Sojin answered.

Ahyoung thought she would say more but Leeteuk seemed to understand what Sojin meant by just the look they were giving each other.

“Alright, I’ll keep it in mind and tell Eunhyuk if he needs support the assassins will help him.” Leeteuk said to her.

Sojin stood from where she was sitting and bowed to Leeteuk, Taekwoon did the same.

“Thank you, I apologize in my father’s name for him not coming to personally see you but he has to remain in the vampire’s realm to keep an eye on everything.” Sojin said.

“Don’t worry about it, I understand. Take a seat again please.” Leeteuk said to her in a more ease way. Sojin nodded and she along Taekwoon sat down again. “I need to make some arrangements, you can go with Ahyoung while Seohyun and I make the preparations. What about you staying to eat?”

“Thanks for your hospitality leader Leeteuk, we’ll accept it.” Sojin politely said.

Leeteuk smiled and nodded to them.

“Well then we’ll be with you in a moment.”

 

Sojin, Taekwoon and Ahyoung moved to the living room in order to wait for Ahyoung’s parents.

“So, you’re interested in learning about the leadership?” Sojin asked her when they were seated.

“Yes, I want to start as soon as possible.” Ahyoung answered with a smile.

“And why do you want to do it so bad now?” Sojin asked with curiosity.

“Well, to be honest with you, I realized I don’t have enough power to change the things that seem to be wrong to me, but at the same time I realized I still have a lot of things to learn and maybe those things can give me an answer about those things I don’t like.” Ahyoung explained. “Besides, I want to be able to support my parents, just how you did right now.”

Sojin chuckled and smiled at her.

“Well but I was raised here and I also have more knowledge about the politics. Though my father also doesn’t want me to involve myself in all of this yet, but I’m stubborn so he has no other choice.”

“But you at least have trained and also have been given knowledge about your world and leadership, while I’m being kept in the dark, I don’t understand it and it’s kind of frustrating.” Ahyoung answered with a sigh.

“I’m sure your parents are doing what they think is the best for you. Trust them, I can guarantee that they’ll lead you and support you.” Sojin put a hand on her shoulder in reassurance.

Ahyoung smiled lightly at her and nodded. She actually knew it and she agreed with Sojin about the fact that her parents were doing what they thought was best for her and she was thankful for that; she trusted them blindly, though sometimes she felt overprotected by them and she didn’t like it.

“By the way Ahyoung.” Sojin suddenly said and Ahyoung looked at her. “I’ve heard that you’ve been getting along with Hyeri.”

“Oh yeah, she’s great, I actually like her a lot.” Ahyoung said with a smile.

“That’s good but there’s something bothering me.” Sojin said in a cautious way.

Ahyoung’s smile faded and she tilted her head.

“What is it?”

“Does your sudden closeness with Hyeri means that you’re also close to Jonghyun?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say we’re close but we did agree trying being friends.” Ahyoung explained her.

Ahyoung was already expecting the frown on Sojin’s face and also the sigh. She knew the vampire wouldn’t like that at all, kind of how Sanghyuk didn’t like it a well.

“I know what you’re going to say, that I shouldn’t get involved with him because he’s the heir of demons, Sanghyuk already told me that as well. But I don’t see anything bad in it, besides, we aren’t breaking any rule, demons and assassins can get along and they aren’t punished because of it.” Ahyoung said in a serious way.

“I know you aren’t breaking any rule but this is indeed complicated Ahyoung.” Sojin started to explain while looking at Ahyoung straight in the eyes. “Even when the three races can get along, there are some implicit rules. I’m sure Sanghyuk had told you that demons don’t actually get along with the rest, and that’s true. Since years ago, the demons have been the ones who tried to break the balance between races and also tried to overpower the rest, therefore, they hold a bad reputation and it isn’t that well seen for us to get along with them. Not to mention the heir of demons and heiress of assassins getting along.”

Ahyoung understood what Sojin wanted to say with that but she still believed that wasn’t enough reason for her to change her decision, when she was about to say something, Sojin spoke again.

“And there’s also Tiffany.” Ahyoung frowned and remained silent, the mention of that name caught her attention. “I don’t know if Sanghyuk told you but she’s the daughter of the second strongest family of demons and also Jonghyun’s fiancée.”

“Yes and what about her?” Ahyoung wanted to know more.

“She’s known for being extremely vicious and dangerous. She actually has a worse reputation than Jonghyun. Even when Jonghyun is a jerk, he’s only words, he actually has never hurt people indiscriminately; unlike Tiffany, who doesn’t care about anything and has hurt countless people.” Sojin explained in a very serious way. “The complicated thing here is that she’s also known for being extremely jealous, all the girls that have approached Jonghyun before ended up bad. That’s why I’m worried about you.”

Ahyoung then thought about the day Tiffany stared at her after she talked with Jonghyun and also Sanghyuk’s reaction when she told him about that.

Now I understand why he reacted that way.

“That’s sick, just because of a boy? That’s so stupid.”

“If you ask me I don’t think it’s really because of Jonghyun.” Sojin answered in a thoughtful way. “I think she just wants to hold her position, think about it, her family has been in second place for years, what they yearn is the leadership, if she marries Jonghyun, that’s exactly what she’ll achieve.”

“If that’s the case then it’s worse.” Ahyoung thought disgusted.

“Well, all in all, what I want to tell you is that I don’t think it’s a good idea that you become Jonghyun’s friend, though I know you’ll do your own thing despite what I say to you, so I can only tell you to be careful, don’t trust anyone blindly Ahyoung, not even me, in this world you have to be aware of everyone and everything.” Sojin took one of Ahyoung’s hands in between hers. “If you ever need anything you know you can come to me or Taekwoon, we’ll support you.”

Ahyoung turned to see Taekwoon who was silently sitting on the couch in front of them. He nodded to her with determination and Ahyoung nodded as well, she then turned her gaze towards Sojin again and smiled at her.

“Thank you, Sojin.”

Ahyoung’s parents arrived in that moment and they told them to go with them to eat. The three youngsters followed them. The rest of the evening was calm and kind of cozy, Ahyoung felt relaxed and got to know that her parents and Sojin’s parents actually were kind of friends.

“My father wanted me to tell you that you’re welcome any time in the vampire’s realm. He actually wants to meet Ahyoung.” Sojin said when she and Taekwoon were in the front door getting ready to go.

“We’ll soon visit you, say thank you to your father for me.” Leeteuk answered with a smile.

After that, the vampires went away. Leeteuk instructed Ahyoung to go to her room in order for her to sleep early and rest, he was still kind of concerned about her state after what happened at the training camp.

Ahyoung nodded to him and smiled, she actually was feeling now a bit tired so she went to her room and leaned on the bed, thinking about all the things that happened that day. The things Sojin told her, the fact that she was now able to attend some meetings, the apparent rebellion at the vampire’s realm, what happened at the training camp. It was all too much. She sighed and put an arm over her face.

Why is it that everytime I get an answer I also get ten more questions?

 

A/N: As always, thank you so so much for reading, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3