Revelation

Who I Am - Part I

Ahyoung, daughter of Seohyun and Leeteuk, the owners of a bodyguard academy. Since young, Ahyoung was an active and bold girl, even when her parents always tried to keep her away from the activities of the bodyguard academy, she managed to sneak in the trainings. With time, they allowed her to train with everyone else and she was surprisingly good in martial arts and all the skills they taught back at the academy.

With the passing years, Ahyoung was known for being the best at the academy and even when she wanted to start working as a bodyguard, her parents didn’t allow her, because they said that she first needed to finish school.

Even when Ahyoung wasn’t bad at school, she preferred things like sports and extracurricular activities, for some reason, she liked being in the outside and do all kinds of things. At school, she had a lot of friends and used to have a great relationship with her teachers, or at least the ones that didn’t teach anything like math or science, who she used to say that had something against her because all they did was nag her about her grades and tell her parents to make her study more.

All in all, Ahyoung used to have a happy and almost monotonous life.

 

The bell that announced the end of the day at school rang and Ahyoung stretched in her place.

“Finally it’s over, I was about to die of boredom if another equation was explained.”

“Come on Ahyoung, it’s not that bad.” One of her friends pointed out when she was putting her books into her backpack.

“Yeah sure, it’s easy for you to say it Noori, you’re the best of the class and you actually enjoy such things.” Ahyoung retorted while also packing her stuff. “You wouldn’t say the same if we were talking about sports.”

“Don’t even mention it, I don’t know what I’m going to do for the sports festival that’ll take place in two weeks.” Noori complained.

“I’ll help you train, what about staying after class for some hours?” Ahyoung stood from her seat.

“Hell no.” The girl answered also standing and walking towards the door. “Last time you helped one of our classmates to train, he almost died of exhaustion.”

Ahyoung chuckled and put an arm over Noori’s shoulders, getting closer to her.

“He was just weak, I bet you’re not as bad as him.” Ahyoung teased.

“Yeah sure, whatever you say.” Noori ironically answered.

Both girls laughed and they walked towards the exit of the school, once there, they bid farewell and went to their respective homes.

Ahyoung reached her home and went inside, she was greeted by all the trainees who she obviously knew, since she had beaten all of them.

“How was school Ahyoung?” One of the oldest trainees asked her.

“You know, as boring as always.” The girl said rolling her eyes.

The trainee chuckled and kept going on with his training, Ahyoung smirked at him when something crossed her mind.

“Hey, what about having a practice fight?”

“You sure?” He asked stopping with his training and looking at her with an eyebrow up. “Your mother will probably scold you.”

“She doesn’t have to know.” The girl mischievously answered.

“I don’t have to know what?”

Ahyoung froze in her spot upon hearing that voice and slowly turned around to face her mother. The girl smiled innocently to her.

“Hello mother.”

“You really thought I wouldn’t know about this?” Seohyun questioned her with crossed arms.

“Oh come on mom, it was going to be just a little practice fight.” Ahyoung pouted and looked to the ground.

“Yeah sure, last time you said that, your little practice fight ended up being a competition that lasted the entire day.” Seohyun scolded. “Besides, your teacher called me again and said that you sneaked from science in order to go to the gym to secretly train.”

Ahyoung cursed in her insides and sighed, then looked again at Seohyun.

“There’s no point in lying to you, it’s true, I sneaked out of class.” The girl admitted discouraged and then looked down again.

Seohyun sighed and softened her gaze, then lifted her daughter’s face from the chin until Ahyoung was looking at her.

“Ahyoung, I’ve told you countless times you can’t train in the outside what we teach here.” Seohyun started to explain. “But your grades also concern me, I know you don’t do it that bad even when you do all these things, however, it is still wrong. There’s a time for everything and right now what you have to focus on is school, imagine how good you’d be if you actually put your entire effort in it.”

Ahyoung wanted to complain, but her mother had a way of saying things that they actually made sense and she was left completely defenseless against her. The girl sighed and nodded to Seohyun.

“I won’t do it again mom. And I’ll also try to focus more in school.”

“That’s my girl.” Seohyun answered with a smile and gave her a hug. “Now hurry up and come inside, I prepared something delicious for you to eat.”

With that, Ahyoung ran excitedly into the house and Seohyun followed her with a smile.

 

A week passed by and Ahyoung actually tried to fulfill the task that was given to her, but she quickly knew she wouldn’t be able to. No matter how hard she tried, school was definitely not for her, or at least not the way it was supposed to be, she couldn’t remain still and focused in something for more than 20 minutes.

When the day ended, she sighed heavily and leaned on her desk.

“What’s wrong?” Noori asked trying to see Ahyoung’s face.

Ahyoung lifted her head and looked at her friend.

“I’m supposed to put more effort into my studies but to be honest I just can’t, all of this is so boring that I’m about to become insane.” Ahyoung complained.

“Okay you’re being dramatic here girl, I know you don’t like it but you won’t die from this.” Noori chuckled. “Maybe we just need to think of some way to make it less tedious.”

Ahyoung sighed again and nodded to her friend with a smile. Noori then stood from her seat and leaned in Ahyoung’s desk.

“Besides, the sports festival is in three days and your 16th birthday is tomorrow, so cheer up, let’s think about what to do tomorrow.”

Noori actually managed to lift up Ahyoung’s mood and they started to talk cheerfully about all the plans that they had in mind in order to celebrate the next day. In the end they agreed to go to an arcade after classes and having a sleepover, though Ahyoung would have to ask her parents for permission to bring Noori to her home.

Ahyoung reached her home and greeted everyone quickly in order to go to her house. Once inside, she came across her father.

“Hello father.” The girl cheerfully greeted.

“You’re back.” Leeteuk said with a fond smile. “How was school?”

“It was good.” Ahyoung quickly answered and started to play with her hands nervously.

Leeteuk seemed to notice it, so he lifted and eyebrow and looked at his daughter with a smile.

“What has you so nervous?” He asked with a chuckle.

“Actually I wanted to ask you something.” The girl started to say.

“Sure, what is it?” Leeteuk asked a bit confused.

“As you know tomorrow is my birthday, so-”

“Our Ahyoung is back.” Seohyun interrupted the talk and hugged her daughter. “Now tell me, what would you like to eat tomorrow, since it’s your birthday I’ll let you have whatever you want.”

Ahyoung and Leeteuk chuckled upon Seohyun’s effusiveness, Leeteuk then took her hand and Seohyun looked at him.

“Actually honey, Ahyoung was about to tell me something about her birthday.”

“Oh really? Then continue Ahyoung, what is it?”

The girl sighed and then just said what she wanted to ask.

“Can I bring Noori tomorrow for a sleepover?”

Ahyoung was able to see how the expression on her parents’ faces drastically changed.

“No.” Leeteuk answered.

“But-“ Ahyoung tried to complain.

“You know the rules Ahyoung, no one external is allowed here.” Seohyun tried to mediate.

“I really don’t understand you, I’ve known Noori since childhood and you have never allowed me to bring her home. What’s so great about your academy that no one can know what happens inside here?” Ahyoung exploded.

She knew that outcome could happen, but she was done with all the secrets and restrictions that surrounded her and her family.

“Ahyoung.” Her father tried to reason with her.

“No dad, ever since I was little you’ve tried so hard to control everything about me, don’t think I’m stupid, I know both of you are keeping something from me and I’m tired of all these lies and secrets.”

Ahyoung didn’t leave space for further discussion when she turned around and went directly to her room. She slammed the door closed, left her backpack on the floor and leaned on the bed. She sighed heavily. Even when all she said was true and what she was feeling inside, she knew it was still bad to have talked to her parents in such a manner.

I must apologize later.

 After some minutes, Ahyoung started to feel sleepy and before she knew it, she drifted into a deep sleep.

She was woken up the next day by her alarm clock, she groaned and turned it off.

What? I fell asleep yesterday like this?

Ahyoung lifted from her bed until she was sitting and started to stretch, her whole body was sore for having slept in the same position for so long.

I need to hurry or I’ll be late.

The girl went to take a shower and fix herself in order to go to school, when she was ready, she went out of her room and looked at her parents’ closed door, she was still feeling a bit bad for talking like that to them and thought of going inside to apologize but in the end she decided it’d be better to do it later when they were already up, since it was their free day and they used to sleep until later in those days.

Ahyoung went downstairs and when she was about to go out, a sudden voice startled her.

“Ahyoung.”

The girl quickly looked back and saw her father standing with crossed arms looking at her. Ahyoung sighed in relief.

“Dad you almost scared me to death.” Ahyoung awkwardly said.

“We need to talk to you, come to the studio.” Leeteuk instructed.

“Um but I need to go dad, or I’ll be late.” Ahyoung pointed out.

“I know that, but this is more important.” He seriously said.

Ahyoung nodded and she followed her father to the studio. She was actually worried, she had never seen her father as serious as he was being in that moment. A bad feeling invaded her. When they reached the studio, Seohyun was also there, waiting for them. Leeteuk told Ahyoung to sit down, the girl did as instructed and her father sat across her and beside Seohyun.

“I know I was wrong, I shouldn’t have talked to you like that and I apologize for my behavior yesterday.” Ahyoung suddenly said with her gaze down.

Her parents didn’t answer and that just made her feel more uneasy, she knew they’d be angry but she never expected to that extent.

“Actually, you were right about what you said yesterday.” Leeteuk suddenly said.

Ahyoung frowned and lifted her gaze, she then saw the troubled expressions of her parents, it was then she knew that maybe things weren’t just about what happened the day before.

“What’s going on?” She asked with uneasiness.

Seohyun sighed and then looked at her daughter with seriousness.

“We’ve been keeping a lot of things from you. We thought that was for the best but yesterday we came to the conclusion that may not be the case.” Seohyun explained.

Ahyoung remained silent for them to continue.

“We aren’t actually bodyguards and this isn’t an academy of bodyguards.” Leeteuk started to say.

“What?” Ahyoung asked confused.

Even when she had thought about that possibility, it was still a surprise to hear that.

“We are assassins.” Leeteuk finally confessed.

Ahyoung tilted her head in confusion and looked down, realization then hit her and she widened her eyes while standing up.

“So we’re the bad ones?” She almost screamed in astonishment. “Why? Do we belong to some city mafia or something? Why would you like to hurt people?”

Leeteuk and Seohyun chuckled and Ahyoung could just look at them in disbelief.

“We’re not what you’re thinking, this doesn’t have to do with gangsters or any human issue.” Seohyun assured her daughter.

“Then you should have said so since the beginning, I almost-” Ahyoung stopped abruptly when she realized something. “Wait, you said ‘or any human issue’?”

Both nodded to her before Leeteuk spoke again.

“We’re assassins that deal with demons and vampires.”

Ahyoung remained silent and her jaw dropped for a moment, she then chuckled and looked at her parents.

“Come on, I’m old enough to buy that kind of stories. This is a joke, right?”

It was obviously a lie for her but for some reason, she ended up needing a confirmation that they were indeed lying, because something inside her kept nagging that it wasn’t a joke at all.

“Do we seem like we’re joking?” Leeteuk seriously asked her.

That was the moment Ahyoung’s smile faded and snorted nervously.

“Okay this has gone too far, it’s not funny anymore.” Ahyoung answered with worry.

“It isn’t intended to be funny though.” Seohyun answered.

“But… how? I mean, vampires and demons don’t exist, they’re just things taken from the fantasy.” Ahyoung said in confusion and sat again.

“Well they’re indeed inside fantasy, but how do you think someone could come up with such existences?” Leeteuk pointed out.

“Demons and vampires have existed for thousands of years and they still exist…” Seohyun started to explain.

Her parents then told her the story about the existence of the three races, as well as the establishment of the pact, the statuses and the characteristics of each of them.

At the end of the explanation, Ahyoung was too taken aback to think clearly so she just kept asking questions to try to get everything together.

“But, how is their existence keep a secret, I mean, at least someone has to have seen them right?”

“No, they’re protected by a barrier that actually keeps them hidden from the humans. Most of the places that may seem deserted to the humans and don’t have interest in them, are most likely to be part of the barrier that protects their territory.” Leeteuk explained.

“And the assassins are allowed to interact with the humans because we’re also humans?”

“Exactly, we’re humans but we’re specially trained to fight against demons and vampires in case they violate any of the pacts or try to attack the humans.” Seohyun answered.

“Hold on, if we’re assassins then, the rest of our people that comes here are assassins as well?”

“Yes, they are, that was why we always told you that no one external was allowed.” Leeteuk said.

“If that’s the case then, why you never told me anything about this? It can’t be because of the age since there are also kids in here.” Ahyoung questioned a bit angry.

“Well, that was because we thought about you living a normal life without having to deal or involve in this matter.” Seohyun answered not daring to look at her daughter in the eyes.

“How come? I’m your daughter, your only child, if not me then who can take over your work? Or maybe you think I’m not good enough to deal with it.” Ahyoung was angry now, she felt bad about her parents not trusting her skills at all.

“It isn’t about that, what we wanted to do was to not give you such a responsibility.” Leeteuk interfered.

“Ahyoung we aren’t just low or mid status assassins.” Seohyun said right after Leeteuk. “We are the leaders.”

The girl’s jaw dropped one more time, it took some seconds for her to be able to speak again.

“That was indeed a surprise, I wasn’t expecting that.” It was the only thing she could say.

“We know this is too sudden and that you may have a lot of questions but since the secret is out now, you’ll have to start your new life tomorrow.” Leeteuk told her.

Ahyoung looked at them frowning in confusion.

“What do you mean with that?”

“You’ll attend another high school, one that teaches not only assassins but vampires and demons as well.”

“There’s a place like that?” She asked in disbelief.

“Of course, it’s part of the alliance and one of the agreements in order to maintain it.” Seohyun explained.

“But wait, then, what about my friends here and my life as I have lived it up until now?” The girl now started to panic.

“Sorry sweetie but you’ll have to leave all of that behind, you won’t see your friends again and your life also won’t be the same from this point on.” Leeteuk said.

“We’re moving today.” Seohyun announced.

“Moving? Where to?” Ahyoung asked confused.

“The assassin’s realm, the place where we belong.” Leeteuk said with a serious voice.

 

A/N: First chapter is up!

As always, thank you so so much for reading, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3