Prelude

Who I Am - Part I

Hongbin decided to attend classes on Monday, he had to play his cards smartly, even when he already owned the game, there were still things that needed to be put in the right place.

The first thing he had to do was trying to make Ahyoung look at him the way she used to, he had to make her think he was on her side. Not that he wanted to genuinely hurt her but if he wanted to win over her heart, he’d had to do some things that may hurt her in the process.

>> “She may suffer a bit, but all of it will be worthy when you two are finally together when all of this ends.”

Tiffany’s words came to his mind again and he was trying hard to fool himself that she was right, even when a part of his mind was yelling at him that what he was doing was wrong.

The demon walked to his classroom and was surprised to see that Ahyoung was already there, when he crossed the door, the girl lifted her gaze and their eyes met. Hongbin was able to see the nervousness and anxiety in her; he didn’t want to start the conversation in that moment, also, by the way Sanghyuk was looking at him, he knew he wouldn’t let him approach her; so he just showed her a faint smile and a little nod to then walk to his seat.

Sanghyuk followed him with the eyes but Hongbin ignored him, though he was able to see that the bodyguard then said something to Ahyoung.

 

Ahyoung sighed heavily after Hongbin went to his seat, half in relief and half in frustration.

“You’re not actually thinking in talking with him, are you?”

The girl turned to see Sanghyuk who was looking at her with complete seriousness.

“Maybe.”

“He almost started a fight with you the last time and now he has also joined Tiffany, what do you have to talk with him?”

“That’s just a theory.”

“Ahyoung.” Sanghyuk said in a serious tone.

“I know it’s most likely he did join her, but the only reason you all suspect about him is because Hyeri saw him talking with Tiffany, maybe it isn’t what we are thinking.”

“Then, are you going to keep being his friend?”

“No, we can’t be friends at all.” She made a pause. “But I don’t want things to end up like this, I may have a last talk with him.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Even if it isn’t, it’s something I must do.” Ahyoung looked at Sanghyuk in complete seriousness.

Sanghyuk sighed heavily, knowing he wouldn’t make her change her mind despite what he said.

The classes then started and everything was calm until the break. Ahyoung and Sanghyuk went to the cafeteria together and decided to eat there. Suddenly, Hongbin stood in front of their table. Sanghyuk glared at him but remained on his seat and Ahyoung looked at him with a frown.

“Ahyoung, can I talk with you?”

“About what?” She asked with mistrust.

“About what I did.” He sighed heavily and looked down. “Listen, I know I acted like a jerk, I’m sorry. I promise I won’t behave like that again.”

Ahyoung almost let her guard down upon that, she almost blindly believed Hongbin, but she knew the boy was most likely lying. She sighed, how she hated to suspect other people and be aware of everyone at her surroundings. Hongbin still wasn’t looking at her and Ahyoung narrowed her eyes; it could also be a chance for her to know if Hongbin was indeed in Tiffany’s side or not.

“Alright.”

Sanghyuk looked at her with a frown and Hongbin looked up with an expectant gaze.

“Really?” He asked her.

“But Sanghyuk will come with us.” She warned him.

Even when Hongbin seemed a bit reluctant about that, he didn’t say a thing and just nodded.

 

Jonghyun went out of his classroom and decided to go to see Ahyoung, even when he knew it wasn’t a good idea for people to notice they were closer than before, he couldn’t help it, having Ahyoung so close but so far at the same time wasn’t a pleasant feeling. He first went to her classroom but it was empty, so he assumed she and Sanghyuk probably went to the cafeteria.

The demon started to walk towards there with a smile, however, it was quickly replaced with a serious expression when Tiffany stood in front of him, cutting his pace.

“What do you want?” Jonghyun asked with annoyance.

“Let’s go somewhere else to talk.” Tiffany answered him, trying to take his hand.

Jonghyun put his hand out of reach from hers and frowned.

“I’ve got nothing to talk with you.”

Tiffany smirked and looked at him with narrowed eyes.

“You really think so?” She made a pause, approaching one more step towards him. “Don’t forget we’re still betrothed Jonghyun.”

“Cut this already, what do you want?”

“You clearly know what I want.” Jonghyun remained silent, so Tiffany continued. “End things with Ahyoung and come back to me.”

Jonghyun chuckled and denied with his head, then looked at her again.

“We were never a thing to begin with, yes, we’re betrothed but because our parents decided so. I can’t go back to you because I was never by your side. I love Ahyoung and that won’t change.”

Jonghyun could see the way Tiffany’s eyes started to be filled with anger and hatred.

“You’re aware that I won’t simply stay still with this, right? I won’t bear the shame of being rejected because of a mere human. Things won’t end like this.” She threatened tilting her head.

“Just get lost.” Jonghyun tried to shove her off.

Tiffany snorted and started to caress his chest, before Jonghyun could react, she approached to his ear.

 “You better take care of your lover, things will become fun soon.” She whispered with a little smile.

Tiffany then walked pass him and Jonghyun turned around to watch her back as she walked away.

 

“We’re here, say what you want to and let’s end this.” Ahyoung said to Hongbin.

They didn’t go too far from the cafeteria, just far enough to have a calmer conversation without much noise. Sanghyuk was standing behind her with his eyes glued towards the demon in front of her. Ahyoung had crossed arms and was looking at Hongbin with a frown. The demon continued to not look at her in the eyes and by his corporal language seemed as if he was ashamed of what he did; but Ahyoung couldn’t stop thinking there was something weird about him. Maybe it was because of all the suspicions surrounding him. Even when she couldn’t clearly understand what his true intentions were, she opted to remain alert and not let her guard down with him.

“So we’re going to be like this from now on, huh?” Hongbin said with sadness. “You’ll always be uncomfortable and with your guard up when we talk.”

“What did you expect after what happened last time?” Ahyoung tried not to sound too harsh.

Hongbin finally lifted his gaze and when their eyes met, he showed her a little and sad smile. Ahyoung narrowed her eyes a bit. How she hated to doubt about each action the demon did. With that kind of expression, in the past, she would’ve believed anything he said; actually, she wanted to just surrender and believe him, return to be the friends they used to be, but she was aware it was impossible. Now, the one friend she loved dearly was suspected of betraying her, she couldn’t let herself be controlled by her emotions.

“I know I was wrong and I want to mend what I broke.”

Damn, stop talking like that.

Ahyoung had to close her eyes and look away for a moment. Hongbin knew how to mess with people’s emotions, he knew her, therefore, he knew where to attack to put her barriers down. Ahyoung controlled herself and returned her serious gaze to him.

“And how do you intend to do that?”

“Give me another chance.” Ahyoung remained silent for him to continue, so Hongbin explained himself. “Let me be your friend again, I promise this time I’ll make it right.”

Ahyoung tilted her head and stared at his face, trying to find something that could tell her he was lying, but to no avail, there was no trace of lie on his face.

What are you up to, Hongbin? She wondered. Well, if that’s the game you want to play…

“I heard you’ve made some new good friends, why would you want to go back to the past?”

Sanghyuk moved his eyes to look at Ahyoung, he was surprised, he didn’t expect her to be that straightforward with Hongbin. Actually, he thought she’d be blinded by her feelings at some point and just forgive him.

Guess I was wrong. He thought with a smirk and returning his gaze to Hongbin.

“New friends?” Hongbin asked her with a little frown.

“Isn’t it?” Ahyoung lifted and eyebrow.

“Well, I do have a lot of friends, but what does that have to do with this?”

Ahyoung narrowed her eyes a moment, there were just two options, Hongbin was innocent or he was a perfect liar; and she’ll discover it.

“Alright.” She said with a smile.

Sanghyuk frowned and looked at her with surprise.

“Alright?” Hongbin asked, expectant.

“Everyone deserves a second chance, right? We all make mistakes.” Ahyoung explained with a smile and then stretched a hand towards him. “Friends?”

Hongbin showed her a bright smile and took her hand.

“Friends.” He said happily.

 

Jonghyun continued to look for Ahyoung, he was worried that Tiffany may create trouble for her again, though he wasn’t too worried since he knew that Sanghyuk was always with her. When he reached the cafeteria he noticed that she wasn’t there; he was about to go away when he saw her, in the left side, almost at the end of the place; he was relieved to see Sanghyuk was with her, however, he noticed that she was talking to someone, he looked at the other person and took him a couple of seconds to know that he was Hongbin.

The demon became angry and was about to go towards them, however, he took a deep breath and decided to remain in his place. He remembered that Ahyoung didn’t like others to decide for herself or to meddle in her issues; so, even if he was eager to go there and beat Hongbin, he decided to trust in whatever his girlfriend was doing.

Suddenly, a certain movement caught his eye, he frowned and looked to his right side just to see Wonshik, looking towards where Ahyoung and Hongbin were talking, he was smirking while looking at the interaction.

There’s something wrong.

The demon then went straight to them, he wouldn’t let them have enough time to do something against Ahyoung.

Jonghyun walked quickly towards them, he saw how Hongbin and Ahyoung shook hands while he was saying the word ‘friends’. He frowned upon that action. In that moment, Ahyoung noticed his presence and smiled at him, Hongbin also turned to see him, while Sanghyuk didn’t look away from Hongbin.

A wise choice. Jonghyun thought with an inner smile.

“Hey.” He said to Ahyoung with a smile once he was by her side.

“Hey.” She answered also with a smile.

“You do look good together.” Hongbin smiled to them.

Ahyoung frowned a bit and tilted her head.

“What do you mean?”

“You make a good couple.”

Ahyoung continued to frown and Hongbin then lifted his hands as if in surrender.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone, I just want to congratulate you two.” He showed her a cute smile.

Ahyoung narrowed her eyes for a moment and then smiled at him.

“If that’s the case, then I’ll appreciate it if you keep the secret.”

“With my life.” Hongbin swore.

Jonghyun was about to say something but Ahyoung then touched his hand as if telling him to remain silent, Jonghyun got the message and didn’t say a thing. After that, Hongbin bid farewell to them and went away, the three of them followed him with the eyes until he was gone.

Jonghyun then directed his gaze towards where Wonshik previously was, but he was already gone as well; he sighed heavily.

“There’s something off with all of this.”

“Yeah, I agree.” Ahyoung answered still with her gaze towards the path Hongbin walked.

“Why do you say so?” Jonghyun asked, looking at her.

“You first.” The girl answered also looking at him.

“Wonshik was there just a moment ago, he was smirking while watching Hongbin and you talking. That’s why I approached.”

Ahyoung huffed and looked to the floor.

“Then that only confirms it more.”

Jonghyun tilted his head, trying to find her eyes, she lifted her gaze to him.

“Hongbin is definitely colluded with Tiffany.”

“Why are you now so sure about it?”

“He didn’t make a single mistake during the whole conversation, until the very last part.” She made a pause, Jonghyun and Sanghyuk looked at her with curiosity. “How did he know that we are dating? The only ones who know, apart from us, are Sunny and Tiffany.”

Jonghyun widened his eyes in realization and Sanghyuk was the one to talk.

“Even so, that isn’t enough proof, according to your previous logic. Tiffany could just have told him that in their encounter.”

“True, but the fact that he was so eagerly trying to convince me to be friends again despite knowing that Jonghyun and I are dating, is just weird and clearly impossible, considering his personality, his true self I mean; and that Wonshik was watching the whole thing just gives the theory more strength.”

“So you really are planning to keep being his friend?” Jonghyun asked her with doubt.

“Yes, or at least, I’ll make him think that. It’s better to keep him close, that way I’ll be able to get to the bottom of this, he’ll let his guard down with me and will probably say things that can give me an idea of his plans, even more, if he thinks I’m clueless about what’s happening.”

 

“Your acting skills are quite scary, you know?”

“Maybe I can teach you a thing or two.”

“No thanks, I prefer being sincere, all those lies and pretending stuff aren’t for me.”

Hongbin chuckled and kept walking, He wasn’t surprised to meet Wonshik after his talk with Ahyoung, he did notice that the vampire was watching them. It was a miracle that Sanghyuk didn’t see him.

“True, you’re way too shameless.”

The vampire laughed and they kept walking together in silence, until Hongbin spoke again.

“So, how’s your task going?”

“I’ve been watching him almost the whole day.”

“Stalker.”

“Hey, none of that, I need to study him and find the perfect moment to recruit him.”

“I don’t think it’ll be that easy.”

“Why so?” Wonshik turned to look at him with amusement.

“That guy is in love, he won’t betray Minah.” Hongbin explained as if it was obvious.

“You also are supposedly in love with Ahyoung and here you are, betraying her.” Wonshik venomously replied with a smirk.

“That’s different.” Hongbin hissed and looked away, then sighed and continued with a calmer voice. “He’s devoted to that girl, I don’t think it’ll be that easy.”

“My dear friend.” Wonshik started and put an arm over Hongbin’s shoulders, bringing him closer to him. “Devotion is a sharp sword, which can protect but also stab; a pure feeling that’s just a step afar from madness.”

Hongbin frowned, the way Wonshik was saying all those things with a dangerous amusement and expectation gave him chills. Everyone knew that Wonshik was kind of a psycho but seeing that with such closeness definitely gave off a different feeling.

“Trust me, he’ll join us more than willingly.” He finished saying with a malicious smile.

 

At the end of the day, Sojin was walking towards Taekwoon’s car, her fiancé had to do some student council stuff, she really couldn’t understand why her boyfriend enjoyed that kind of extra work. Not only was he smart and handsome, but also pretty responsible. She chuckled.

Maybe when we become the leaders I can leave him all the boring stuff.

She was about to open the car door when a voice stopped her from doing it.

“Have I told you that you look beautiful when you smile?”

Sojin huffed with irony and turned around to face Wonshik, who was leaning on the car next to her.

“I know that, no need for you to say it.”

“It sure is hard to give you a compliment, huh?”

Wonshik walked towards her and Sojin followed him with the eyes.

“Actually it isn’t, but I don’t like anything that comes from you.” She said with a smile.

Wonshik chuckled and stopped just in front of her. Sojin crossed her arms and tilted her head in annoyance.

“What do you want now Wonshik?”

“You already know the answer to that question. Why do you keep asking the same thing?”

Sojin rolled her eyes and was about to turn around when Wonshik took her by the wrist.

“Has no one told you that it’s disrespectful to turn your back to the person you’re talking to?”

“I don’t have anything to talk with you.” Sojin answered and freed herself from his grasp.

“You’re wrong Sojin, we have a lot of things to talk about.” He said with a smirk.

“Just get lost Wonshik.” Sojin answered with a threatening voice and gaze.

“Scary, my dear.” Wonshik looked at her from head to toes. “Are you sure you don’t have anything to talk with me?”

Sojin was about to lose her patience but then thought about it for a second and remembered what Jonghyun told Taekwoon and her. Maybe she can get to know if Wonshik was indeed allied with Tiffany.

“Now that you mention it, there’s something I’m curious about.”

Wonshik’s eyes shone with expectance and Sojin smiled on the inside.

“What is that?” Wonshik asked her.

“Tell me about your new friend, Tiffany.”

Wonshik huffed and narrowed his eyes towards her.

“What? Are you jealous of a demon? That’s not really proper for the heiress of vampires.”

“How come I’d be jealous?”

“If that isn’t it, then…” Wonshik cut the distance between them and took a strand of her hair. How Sojin hated that stupid habit of his. “I can only tell you that I’ll have a lot of fun with her.”

Sojin couldn’t stand his closeness and was about to push him when he spoke again.

“You’ll make use of your status again?” He said in a melodic voice.

Sojin’s blood was boiling and the rage could be seen in her eyes. Wonshik was amused by that sight and was about to say something but he was suddenly dragged backwards until his back crashed against the other car.

“Taek.” Sojin just said, looking at her fiancé with relief.

Taekwoon stood beside Sojin and glared at Wonshik. The vampire just chuckled and composed himself before also looking at Taekwoon.

“And here it is, the ice prince, you could freeze anyone with that glare of yours.” Wonshik then looked at Sojin again. “Your savior is now here, what kind of leader needs others to protect her?”

“I’m not her savior, you just aren’t worthy for her to dirt her hands with.”

“Whatever, this became boring because of you, so I’ll go now. Take care, my dear leader.”

Sojin and Taekwoon glared at him until the vampire was gone. Sojin then turned to look at Taekwoon, the boy was already looking at her, with that gentle look he only showed her. Sojin smiled warmly and caressed his cheek, Taekwoon closed his eyes and leaned on her touch.

“How were things with the student council?” She asked him.

“Good, there isn’t anything important to report.”

“I see.”

Taekwoon opened his eyes and saw Sojin spaced out with a worried expression, so he put his hand over the one she had on his cheek, Sojin looked at him and Taekwoon put his face in front of hers.

“What’s worrying you?”

“Wonshik. I think we need to warn Jonghyun and Ahyoung. The alliance Tiffany is building is a strong one, I bet she isn’t planning anything small.”

“Alright then we’ll do that.”

Sojin nodded but Taekwoon was still in the same position, so she started to become nervous.

“What are you looking at?” She asked looking away and blushing.

“I’m just admiring your beauty.” Taekwoon answered calmly.

“Tch Taekwoon, you’re too much, not even a minute ago you wanted to rip Wonshik’s head off and now you’re telling me such corny stuff.”

“It’s your fault, why are you so beautiful?”

Sojin chuckled in surrender, Taekwoon must be the only person who could disarm her to that extent; people always labeled him as a serious and cold person, if they only knew that Taekwoon could be the coziest and most tender man in the world when he wanted.

“Cut it, let’s go look for those two.”

Sojin started to walk towards the school again but Taekwoon took her hand and made her look at him again.

“Okay, we’ll go but only if you give me a kiss.”

Sojin now laughed, really, no one would believe her if she were to tell how Taekwoon behaved with her. The girl then approached him and stood on her tip toes to give him a peck.

“Really Taekwoon, you’re just like a kid. Can we go now?”

“To the end of the world if you want to.” Taekwoon answered with a smile, taking her hand.

Yes, that was the man she was in love with.

 

A/N: I'm back! I bet no one even noticed I was gone xD anyway sorry for the long absence I got stuck into kind of a writer's block, not the creative type but the motivational type so it took a loooong while to update but here's the new chapter ^^

As always, thank you so so much for reading, and your patience, comments are appreciated ^^ stay safe and have a beautiful day <3