Sunshine and City Lights [Part 1]

The Episode in Summer that Killed the Both of Them
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

EARLIER THAT MORNING

 

Bella was alone that morning in their house while getting ready to meet with none other than Rafaela. Someone kept knocking at the door and the first thing that came to her mind was Rafa. 

 

Bella immediately ran down the stairs hoping to see the cold-blooded woman's figure outside. She quickly tidied up herself as she just finished getting dressed up just a while ago.

 

“Hi,” a wave and a tight hug from Isabelle greeted her. She sounded more energetic and jolly than she used to be. 

 

“Good morning, my sunshine.” And of course, the little sister, Lauren, is here too. The latter leaned in to give Bella a kiss on her cheek. Bella always feels shy and a little uncomfortable whenever she does that. She likes Bella and Bella wants to focus on her life to be a great and the coolest artist. Before she left for Texas, there was a complete 0% chance of liking anyone or even having a crush. Perhaps the universe wants to give Bella's life a little thrill and roller coaster that's why a person like Rafa showed up out of the blue.

 

“Hi… ? What…  are you guys… doing here?” One question took Bella a while to ask. Perhaps, these two are just passing by and won't take that long. She checked the time on her wristwatch. There's still 20 minutes left before their call time.

 

“We’re here to visit our… beloved family!” Isabelle told her. “Do you mind if we come in?”

 

Albeit Bella was hesitant, she just shook her head in response. “I don't, come in. Mom’s busy with her part-time job so I’m all alone here.” Bella said but left some unsaid information about her plans with some low-key woman who just lives around the corner.

 

“We know. Her job pays —” Isabelle acts like she's counting money with her fingers, indicating that it's a high-paying job. “Are you guys moving somewhere again?”

 

Bella, who was preparing a small meal for them, halted to think. Perhaps her mom mentioned something about moving again. She hated whatever Texas did to her poor daughter. So, she thought it would be nice to live in Japan for a little while, with her best friend, Alaska Reuben. 

 

That's the second choice. But she's really saving up for Switzerland before Bella gets into college. 

 

The latter didn't want anyone to know about it, even Rafa, so she played dumbfounded. 

 

“Nah— I don't think so. Mom didn't say anything.”

 

The Cameron sisters shrugged that off and then continued with their egg waffles. 

 

The whole time, Bella could not completely heed them. “What about Rafa?” —that kept ringing in her head. She didn't want to keep her waiting. Lauren noticed that Bella seemed to be fidgeting and almost exasperated. Like she feels uneasy, but Lauren didn't bother to ask.

 

“Hey, Bella,” Isabelle called and the other woman followed her. By the open window, Isabelle pointed at a familiar house, it's the Old Lady's. “You know, the first person I've ever liked lives there.” She told her without any hesitation.

 

Without any doubt, Bella already figured out who she was referring to.

 

“Kristen?” Bella asked curiously.

 

Isabelle lifted her gaze to her. Her eyes were bright and joyful as she nodded slowly in response. She looks away while biting her lower lip.

 

Bella has never seen her friend like this. She can even feel her sincerity through her actions. And she hates that she doesn’t feel like being supportive about it. It's her friend. It's just Isabelle.

 

“I think I'll ask her out,” Isabelle said out of the blue, out of the quiet moment. “What do you think?” She sounded hopeful.

 

Bella was taken aback. It's not some simple decision-making for Isabelle to ask her. “What do you mean?”

 

“You know since you guys are close friends. Do you think I have a chance?”

 

There shouldn’t be, Bella thought. But she says otherwise. Her facade lights up and became cheerful for Isabelle.

 

“Just give it a shot. You never know..” Lauren said while scrutinising the stuffed animals on the cabinet. Every single one of those is from Rafa, she won them from the claw machine in the market. Bella never really liked stuffed toys, she just grew fond of them because of Rafa.

 

“Yeah… You never know.” Bella agreed hesitantly.

 

She might look normal at the moment but she’s aching to get to Rafa. Lauren,  who has been observant since they came around, finally asked the bothered Bella. “Hey, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, yeah. I’m okay. You?”

 

Lauren throws her an 'I don't believe you' look. “You are a terrible liar, didn't you know that?”

 

Bella sighs, “I am supposed to meet her—” she says pointing at Isabelle with a look “— crush for like an hour ago? And I just feel so freaking for making her wait.” Bella was worried but her friends came up with a different idea.

 

“We’ll go with you!” Isabelle says aloud, excited to see her crush.

 

But for Bella, it was a bad, bad idea. Rafaela doesn't like people around, especially those who are complete strangers to her. 

 

“Can I say no?” she asked hesitantly but in a polite way.

 

Lauren didn't take the question seriously. She shook her head, “It’s a good opportunity for Isabelle and Kristen to get to know each other, don't you think?”

 

Isabelle was leaning against the wall while fighting so hard the urge to smile. She already has a lot in mind. She could invite Rafaela to eat out or fishing or something like a picnic date. All the things that Bella knows Rafa won't ever agree to. That's what she said.

 

It's like things happened so fast. The three loudmouths were already on their way to the meeting place while talking about some stuff when Bella was still away. To think of it, it's their first time hanging out together, just the three of them. Because Bella was always with Rafaela, she has almost forgotten about other things. 

 

It was like her life was revolving around Rafa alone.

 

Bella isn’t accustomed to this, too. As if she’s just pushing herself not to kill the mood.  She’s been observing Rafa and her dear friend, Isabelle. And she’s certain that the latter is already making her move. She tries so hard to ignore them. Those little filthy exchanging looks between them. Until her heart drops in a snap like the dream of Thanos when she finally heard Isabelle asking Rafa out. 

 

Then there it hits that Rafa has her own life. And she cannot always stick to Bella. Rafa can have friends, too…as many as she wants. 


 

—————————————————————


 

NEXT DAY

 

BAKERY

 

THE CITY LIGHTS
 

On the golden hour, the next day, the wind chimes jingles and a woman in a brown patched jacket with a plain white Ralph Lauren shirt inside and jeans came in. 

 

Her facade is like ice. 

 

She's cold but warm at the same time.

 

Rafa roamed her eyes inside as if it was her first time here. She was looking for the presence of Isabelle who was busy at the counter. 

 

She knows Isabelle was there so she just let her be. The figurines in various sizes caught her attention.

 

“Does Bella want some of these?” she thought to herself. 

 

Rafa has adopted this new habit. Buying and collecting unnecessary stuff that she thinks is cute just for Bella. She was already considering buying one of the figurines when she felt Isabelle behind her in a good mood.

 

“You're here”, Isabelle greeted, fidgeting with a wide smile.

 

“Hi,” She replied, scrutinising the purple apron Isabelle was wearing. “That suits you.”

 

Those little remarks from her made the other girl giggle. She really is a head over heels for Rafa. “Thank you, Kristen. I didn't expect you'd notice. D-do you… like it?” She said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter