The Ledge

Summer Girls

A/N: ummm....yea. im so sorry. Im hoping that i'll be able to update more frequently from now on!!! im going to try really hard. i promise i'll never abandon a fic. so if youre still reading this yay!! i hope you enjoy <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although their fun night together was most definitely not forgotten, the girls finally felt better the next day. They were well enough to go eat breakfast in the dining hall with the other campers. 

"Bacon's never tasted this good," Jeongyeon said, shoving slices in . Nayeon stopped doing the same as soon as she spoke, starting to take tiny bites out of the corners of the strips. 

"After yesterday, agreed," Chaeyoung answered. 

"What are we doing today?" Sana asked hopefully.

"We need to do something today or I'll die of boredom," Jihyo added. 

"Oh!" Tzuyu perked up quietly. "Yesterday I took a quick walk and I noticed a little hill over by the creek. Maybe we could sit there? It seemed high enough to have a nice view." 

"I'm only down if we get snacks," Dahyun said. 

"Sounds fine. Can't think of anything better," Momo added. 

Tzuyu frowned and looked down at her polished-off breakfast. 

"It sounds fun to me!" Jihyo said loudly. "Let's get out of our pajamas and pick up the snacks." 

Half an hour later the girls reunited between the two cabins, making their way to the store under the clear summer morning sun. The counselor at the store looked about ready to collapse as the group of nine entered, finally excited after feeling icky the whole day before, grabbing about half the snacks in the store. 

And Tzuyu ushered them over, past the creek to the hill, the normally shy girl encouraging them all to make the short climb to the top. Dahyun, Jeongyeon, and Chaeyoung followed her without a second thought. 

"Woah guys!" Dahyun called. "Get up here!" 

"If I slip, I'll kill you guys," Momo mumbled. 

"It's really easy," Tzuyu answered, and the rest of the girls followed. 

Tzuyu was right; it was easy, you could almost walk up to the top. And when Mina reached the top, she knew it was worth it. 

The view was stunning. It was almost as stunning as the view from their hike, just a massive plane of trees and meadows and wide blue sky seemingly flowing endlessly into the distance. The noise of camp lingered, even the screams of children, but didn't rattle your brain from this far away. The smell of forest lingered, and rock they stood on stuck out in such a way that it became a perfect little sitting spot for the girls. 

"It's a nice little ledge, actually," Nayeon said with a shrug, adjusting her sunglasses and taking a seat. 

"Thank you for finding this place!" Jihyo said, squeezing Tzuyu with the brightest of smiles. Tzuyu smiled back shyly, and maybe this was Mina's imagination, but her cheeks seemed to flush just the slightest. 

"I'm glad you like it," Tzuyu answered quietly. 

The girls all sat down, forming small groups to eat their food and chat. Mina walked shyly between them, some of those old high school cafeteria nerves bubbling up inside her, even though she knew she'd be welcome anywhere. 

She overheard Nayeon gasp with disgust. "Did you get napkins for those?" 

Mina turned to see Jeongyeon smirking, gripping a bag of hot cheetos with bright red fingers. She reached over to rub the cheeto dust on Nayeon but Nayeon screamed, running away before Jeongyeon could get at her. Mina chuckled to herself and kept walking. 

She spotted Chaeyoung sitting alone towards the edge of the ledge and breathed a soft sigh of relief, making her way over to her closest friend. Mina hesitated a few steps from her, wondering briefly if the girl wanted to be alone, but Chaeyoung's smile when she noticed Mina soothed her worries. 

"Come, sit," she spoke, and Mina couldn't help but obey. "Want some?" 

Mina grinned and didn't think before taking the sour strawberry gummy from Chaeyoung's fingers. The taste was somehow sweeter, knowing it had come from Chaeyoung's bag, that she'd shared with her. Mina decided not to think about it and cracked open her own bag of hard caramel candies, gesturing for Chaeyoung to take some. 

It was so easy, Mina thought. So easy to just sit beside Chaeyoung in the most comfortable of silences, watching the trees wave slightly in the warm breeze and the birds flutter by, their chirps and the soft chatter of their friends the only noise between the two girls. Mina had never been able to imagine that having a friend could be so simple, so easy. That someone wouldn't ask her to be chatty and perky all the time. That they'd like her like this, just quiet, like how she really was. 

But when Chaeyoung turned to Mina, everything changed. Despite the genuine smile on her lips some weird inexplicable anxiety burned in Mina. She was familiar with almost every variety of anxious feelings, but this one was new. Something to do with Chaeyoung's (pretty) smile, maybe. Mina whipped her gaze away and stuffed another caramel in . 

"Do you feel weird about it?" 

"About what?" 

"Accidentally ending up at a gay camp." 

Mina kept on staring at her lap, only so Chaeyoung wouldn't misconstrue her expression. She wasn't awkward because of them, she was awkward because of herself. 

"I really don't. Of course I don't. It's just....something I never really thought about. Because of school and ballet and all that." 

"All your friends at school are straight too?" 

Mina grimaced. "I...I don't actually have any friends. Well, real friends that is. I'm way too busy at school, and there are the other ballet girls...but they're so cutthroat, you know? Not the kind of people I can trust. Definitely not people I feel safe enough to talk about any kind of dating with." 

When Mina finally found the courage to look up at Chaeyoung, she was expecting her to look like she was going to make fun of her, or be embarrassed that they were even talking. But the only expression she could find on Chaeyoung's face was concern. Something about it made Mina feel....well, something she hadn't really felt before, so it was hard to describe...but it was kind of like her heart was aching? 

"I'm really glad you're here then. Because I think it's important to have friends, I mean, who else can you talk to? You need people to talk to. You need to get it out, you know?" 

"I know now," Mina admitted. 

"I'm...really glad you're here." And Mina thought the light must've shifted because Chaeyoung's cheeks looked a bit pink. It suited her.

"Ooh, look at you two!" Jeongyeon's teasing voice called above the fray. Mina and Chaeyoung shook themselves out of whatever haze they'd fallen into and turned to look at the rest of the girls. Sana was sitting between Dahyun's legs, massive grins on both girl's lips, Dahyun playing with Sana's fingers. 

"What?" Sana whined. 

"Looking awfully cuddly over there," Jihyo said. 

"We all saw the way you kissed the other night," Nayeon added, lowering her sunglasses. 

"We are just cuddling!" Dahyun answered, a little too loudly. 

"We are both very cuddly people," Sana said too, nodding firmly. 

Jeongyeon snorted and for the first time time in the entire first week of camp, Nayeon and her shared a look of agreement. 

"We are friends! Really really good friends! But just friends!" Sana insisted. 

"Exactly! Friends!" Dahyun added. 

"Doth protest too much," Tzuyu mumbled. 

Chaeyoung laughed softly to herself. 

"What do you think?" Mina asked. 

"I mean...it's kind of bound to happen. Two of the girls getting together." Mina willed herself not to notice the way Chaeyoung's eyes lingered on her. 

"Sana is really cuddly though..." Mina mumbled. 

"Haven't seen her sit between any of the other girl's legs though." 

Suddenly, their teasing was interrupted by the loud blare of the dining hall bell, ringing throughout camp. 

"Lunch already?" Tzuyu mumbled. 

"But I'm stuffed from all the snacks," Jeongyeon groaned. 

"I heard lunch was mac n cheese today," Momo said, and suddenly all the girls leaped up.

"Not missing mac n cheese for anything," Jihyo said under her breath, and all the girls followed after her. Except two. 

Sana sighed softly and slowly stood, taking her sweet time. She held out a hand for Dahyun, taking the chance to squeeze it as she came up. The two girls looked at each other before looking at the ground. Sana's eyes widened; she couldn't remember the last time she felt this...shy. 

"Well that was..." 

"Awkward," Dahyun finished. They shared a quick giggle. 

"We are good friends, right?" Dahyun added. 

Sana nodded as firmly as she could. "Very, very good friends." They laughed again, but it didn't come quite so easy. All Sana could think of when watching her laugh was the shape of Dahyun's lips and how they felt on hers. 

"C'mon, let's get lunch." Dahyun grabbed Sana's wrist and tugged her off to the dining hall, and Sana willed herself to remember it. Good friends.