Kayaking?!

Summer Girls

A/N: wasnt sure if i should update today bc of everything thats going on but...idk. chae is my bias but i 100% am disappointed n dont approve of her actions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mina wasn't sure what to think when she and the other girls found themselves at the lake the next morning, wearing swimsuits under their shorts and t-shirts, watching Hyoyeon help the sixteen to eighteens into kayaks. 

They were up next. And none of them had ever kayaked before. 

"Alright ladies, start pairing up!" Hyoyeon called. "It's two to a kayak. Maximum is three. And I mean it."

Mina watched as five older girls piled into one kayak. She could see the disaster before it even happened. In fact, she could see the disaster with just two of them in the kayak. The girls all huddled together.

"We're gonna die. We're literally gonna die," Momo mumbled. 

"C'mon, it'll be fun!" Chaeyoung countered. 

"Hyoyeon said there would be sandwiches on the other side. And another cliff to jump off of into the lake," Dahyun said. 

"I guess I'll live for the sandwiches," Tzuyu mumbled as the last of the older girls got into the kayaks.

"Well, I'm pairing up with Tzuyu. Sorry girls," Jihyo said. 

Tzuyu's eyes, which had been dead ever since they found out they were all kayaking, filled with hope. 

"Really?" 

"You're the only one I trust to not tip the damn thing. Now let's go." Jihyo grabbed Tzuyu's arm and tugged her to the end of the dock. She let out a girly little giggle and threw Mina a look. 

But now, Mina was really worried. Jihyo was right about most of the girls making the thing tip. She looked around in a panic, but luckily, her and Chaeyoung locked eyes at the same time. They didn't even have to talk, just following behind Jihyo and Tzuyu in line, and Mina let out a sigh of relief. 

"I'm gonna go put on some tanning lotion. Gotta make the most of this stupid ," Nayeon said, adjusting her sunglasses and digging through the purse which she insisted on bringing. Jeongyeon turned around to glare at her, and Dahyun tugged on Momo and Sana's sleeves. She didn't say anything, just looked back and forth between Nayeon and Jeongyeon with a sly grin. 

Momo covered a snort with her hand and Sana barely held back her own giggles. The three shared a nod and ran to the back of the line, just seconds before Nayeon returned to the group and realized her fate. 

"Momo?" She cried, almost in a panic. "Aren't we gonna be partners?" 

"Sorry, I'm already grouped up," she answered, barely holding back laughter. 

"Girls, come on!" Jeongyeon whined when she realized what was happening. All of them in line started laughing. 

"No can do!" Tzuyu answered with quiet glee. 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon shared disapproving looks and followed after the other girls. 

"We are so gonna tip," Nayeon mumbled. 

"And whose fault will that be?" Jeongyeon answered, crossing her arms and looking out at the lake. 

"Uh, yours?" 

Jeongyeon scoffed. "No way. I'm the one who actually does outdoorsy stuff." 

Nayeon rolled her eyes and didn't answer. 

At the front of the line, Tzuyu and Jihyo were about to get into their kayak. 

"Alright, on the count of three, step in with your right foot," Jihyo called. "One two three." They stepped in simultaneously, barely even rocking the boat, and Tzuyu breathed a sigh of relief.

"Are you nervous?" Jihyo asked. 

Tzuyu nodded. "I actually don't know how to swim." 

Jihyo turned back to her and grinned brightly, rubbing her arm. "Don't worry about it. We aren't gonna tip." 

Something about Jihyo's confidence soothed Tzuyu a little. And something about Jihyo's hands on her made her nerves come back, albeit in a different way. "Okay. I believe you." 

"Ready?" Jihyo asked. "Okay, let's go! Left! Right! Left Right!" 

Tzuyu laughed but followed Jihyo's instructions, rowing her absolute hardest, and before she knew it the other girls looked like tiny dots on the dock of the lake. 

"This isn't actually so bad!" Tzuyu called over the sound of the waves. 

"Told you." Jihyo paused to turn back to Tzuyu. "See? I knew I could trust you." She punctuated her words with a wink. 

Tzuyu knew it wasn't the sun that made her flush all over. 

Back by the docks, Jeongyeon and Nayeon were attempting to make it to the other end of the lake. 

"Oh my god! I can't even see the other girls anymore!" Nayeon whined. 

"Well maybe if you actually did what I said we'd be further along!" 

"You're not doing anything I say..." 

"You're not saying anything!" 

"Ugh," Nayeon groaned with feeling. She slammed her oar into the water, pushing as hard as she could. Unfortunately, Jeongyeon decided to do the same thing on the opposite side, the force of Nayeon's oar slamming her own against the kayak, the force of that knocking the girls to the side, which knocked the kayak to the side, which knocked the screaming girls into the water. 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon could still hear the ripple of the water as both of their heads bobbed up, the kayak completely flipped over. 

"!" Jeongyeon screamed loud enough for the sound to echo. "At least you didn't bring your purse." 

"Let's just get back on," Nayeon said. Jeongyeon made a face, clinging harder to the side of the overturned kayak. Nayeon rolled her eyes but didn't say anything else, diving under the water. Jeongyeon heard a small grunt and as fast as that the kayak was right side up. 

Jeongyeon watched in surprise as Nayeon swam around, gathering their oars before swimming around to Jeongyeon. She wrapped her arms around Jeongyeon, heaving her into the kayak before climbing in herself. 

"Damn," Jeongyeon spoke into the silence. Nayeon huffed out the water from her nose, tapping the top of her head. 

"Oh my god!" She screamed. 

"What?" 

"My sunglasses! They were ing Dior!" 

Jeongyeon was still so shell-shocked from being rescued by Nayeon that she didn't even have the heart to tease. Nayeon rolled her eyes and slumped a little in the kayak, and Jeongyeon looked back at her. 

"You look different without your sunglasses," Jeongyeon said, before she could stop herself. 

"Different? Don't insult me after I just saved you from drowning," Nayeon answered, turning back around and grabbing an oar. Jeongyeon for once kept shut; Nayeon had a point. But she hadn't meant it as an insult. 

The girls started oaring again, finally in unison. 

"Thanks for saving us," Jeongyeon mumbled as quietly as she could. 

"I took swimming lessons in elementary school." 

"That's surprising." The teasing tone was back in Jeongyeon's voice. 

"Again. No insults. You still owe me." 

Luckily, they reached the opposite shore at that very moment. The girls all immediately started laughing upon spotting the girls. 

"Shut up," Jeongyeon mumbled. 

"We didn't even say anything," Dahyun answered. 

"Give me one of those ing sandwiches," Nayeon said, snatching one from the basket on Hyoyeon's lap. 

"Girl, what is up with you?" Hyoyeon asked. 

"My sunglasses. Drowned. They were Dior." 

"Not the Dior sunglasses!" Sana cried, completely serious. 

After an hour or so of sandwich eating and cliff jumping (and silently brooding on Nayeon and Jeongyeon's part), it was time to head back to camp. 

"Aren't you afraid we're gonna tip?" Mina asked as they were out on the water. Her and Chaeyoung had been so focused on the way over that they'd made it fine, but Jeongyeon and Nayeon kinda freaked her out. 

"Come on! You know we're better than them," Chaeyoung answered. Mina decided to just trust Chaeyoung, and the two girls kept rowing. 

If she was going to trust Chaeyoung, she was going to trust her all the way. So Mina let herself relax, taking the time to view the scenery of the clear blue sky and the lake. And maybe Chaeyoung's strong arms rowing the boat. 

Yeah, she definitely wasn't straight. 

"It's so beautiful out today," Mina said softly. Chaeyoung turned around and grinned at Mina, eyeing her up and down. 

"I'll say," she answered, half joking half serious, and Mina knew exactly what she was talking about. 

Yeah, she definitely wasn't straight. 

And neither was her oar, slipping out of her hand and falling into the water, reaching out to grab it out of instinct, and suddenly, she was leaning to far, and...both girls were in the water. 

But when they came up for air, Chaeyoung was laughing. So Mina laughed too. And maybe, she realized, she didn't have to worry about tipping. Because maybe, tipping wasn't a bad thing. 

"Come on girls, we are so close!" Momo shouted from further along the lake, oaring with all her might. At the same time Sana and Dahyun weakly oared in the same kayak, Sana leaning her entire body on Dahyun's chest, both girls giggling. 

"Chill," Dahyun said. 

"Momo this is fun!" Sana added. 

"Not when you've been third-wheeling the whole damn time!" 

"Y-you're not third wheeling!" Sana answered quickly, immediately sitting up. 

"Yeah dude, we're just buds! Friends!" 

Momo sighed and rolled her eyes. But both girls actually started oaring hard too, so she couldn't be too mad.