Oh No, A Hike

Summer Girls

At breakfast the next morning Hyoyeon, the counselor for the older teens, approached their table. 

"Hey ladies, so I'm taking my group on a hike this morning and we could bring you all along too! Wanna come?" 

"No way," Nayeon answered, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"Come on, it'll be fun! At the end, there's a mountain lake with a gorgeous view and I'll pack something fun for lunch!" 

Mina wasn't too sure about the hiking part, but she was at camp after all. 

"I think we should go," Jihyo spoke, and most of the girls mumbled their agreements

Nayeon sighed loudly, and Jeongyeon glared at her. "What are you gonna even do all day?" 

"Great!" Hyoyeon said, tactfully ignoring the bickering like the rest of the girls had been. "I'll see you in an hour in front of the dining hall. Don't forget to wear something good for hiking!" 

And an hour later the girls were ready, waiting in front of the building. Even Nayeon had appeared, wearing the pinkest lululemon athleisure set with sunglasses and lip gloss. Counselor Hyoyeon arrived quickly with the older teens laughing behind her. Mina swore she noticed her pull a box of cosmic brownies out of a paper bag and put them into the picnic basket. But before Mina could think too much about it, she beckoned for them to follow. 

"I think this is going to be fun girls!" Sana cheered, ever smiley. "At least at the end, we can swim in a secret mountain pool. How cool is that?" 

Even though she was wearing sunglasses, Mina could tell Nayeon rolled her eyes. 

As the girls trudged along the path, Sana made her way to everyone, hugging and chatting them up. When she finally reached Mina she threw her arms over her shoulder. Mina froze a little; normally nobody ever touched her except her parents. 

"What do you think Hyoyeon brought for lunch?" 

Mina thought for a second. "Probably sandwiches." 

"Mmh, god I hope it's sandwiches." 

"And I think I saw her grab some cosmic brownies too." 

"Brownies?!" Sana cheered. 

"Mmh. Brownies," Momo added from where she walked next to Mina, the girls a few paces behind counselor Hyoyeon. 

Momo her lips, but weirdly, Mina thought, her eyes were not on the picnic basket. It was more like she was looking at Hyoyeon's , but Mina decided that she couldn't be and that was weird.

Sana briefly gave Mina a little snuggle before running over to Dahyun, giving her a giggly hug too. Dahyun hugged her back just as eagerly, and Mina smiled. It had been kinda nice, being so friendly with Sana. Maybe she could be like that one day too. Probably not, probably to a lesser extent, but maybe. 

But soon enough there was no more hugging. The cliff the girls were hiking on grew to a steep incline, and it went from being a walk kinda hike to a hike kinda hike. The hot summer sun beat down on the girls and the gravelly ground slip and slid beneath their feet. 

"Ugh, my makeup is running!" Nayeon whined, readjusting her sunglasses on her face and pausing to take a sip from her giant pink hydroflask.

 "Why would you wear makeup on a hike?" Jeongyeon mumbled to herself and made a face, her usual Nayeon face.

"The water bottle is probably not helping. That thing must weigh a ton," Dahyun said, ignoring Jeongyeon. 

Nayeon sighed. "True." 

"But it's part of the outfit. What's the point of exercising without one? It's the accessory." 

"Exactly!" 

Jeongyeon snorted and shook her head. 

"Come on guys, let's get going!" Jihyo yelled from the front of the group, side by side with Chaeyoung and counselor Hyoyeon. 

Mina whimpered to herself. She didn't think she could get going. 

"Are you okay?" Tzuyu asked quietly. The two of them were at the very back of the group, the other girls fading into the distance. 

"Mmh. Kinda," Mina answered honestly. The girls shared an exhausted laugh. 

"Same." 

They panted as they trudged up the cliff, hands on their knees. 

"I think I need to exercise more," Tzuyu said. 

"Well," Mina answered between pants. "Apparently ballet is not actually exercise." 

They shared another laugh and a smile. 

"Lunch today is going to be the best lunch ever." 

"True. Plus I think I saw Hyoyeon pack some brownies." 

"Oh thank god," Tzuyu breathed out. 

"So you don't do a sport or anything?" Mina worked up the courage to ask after a few seconds. 

"I walk my dogs?" Tzuyu answered. "That's it. I don't do classes or clubs or anything like that. Maybe I'll start in the fall, since I'll be in high school and all that." 

Mina briefly wondered what it would be like to have so much free time. Tzuyu was super pretty, so she must be popular. She probably filled her time with socializing. But she seemed so shy...

"Oh there you are!" Chaeyoung suddenly called, coming back over the hill towards Mina and Tzuyu. 

"We were wondering where you guys were," Jihyo added, following behind Chaeyoung. 

"Just," Mina panted. "Struggling." 

"Come on, we're almost there! Everyone's heading to the lunch spot," Jihyo said. 

"I already feel bad enough," Tzuyu answered. 

"You two don't even look tired," Mina added. 

Jihyo grinned brightly. "It's not that bad!" 

Tzuyu and Mina shared a look. "It is that bad!" Tzuyu said. 

"Alright, alright," Jihyo said, making her way behind Tzuyu. She began pushing her back as she walked over the final hill. Tzuyu laughed loudly, and they finally made it over. Chaeyoung walked down to Mina, slowly walking next to her. 

"Isn't it beautiful? The sun is shining, only a few clouds, so many trees, the birds chirping, a soft breeze...it's so nice." 

"It's hard to notice that stuff when you're dying," Mina answered.

"No dying allowed Mina! You got this! You can do it!" Chaeyoung cheered. 

Her words were almost like caffiene and Mina finally got that second win, pushing herself up and up until finally, she was there. 

After taking a couple seconds to breathe, she realized Chaeyoung was right: it was beautiful. She could see the small lake Hyoyeon talked about, the sun reflecting off its almost perfectly clear waters, a hill on the side where the girls could eat and look out at the picture perfect trees and the postcard worthy view. Camp was invisible; it was just mountains and trees as far as the eye could see. 

"Let's EAT!" Chaeyoung yelled, and Mina snapped out of it, following to Hyoyeon's picnic basket. 

Tzuyu was right; lunch was the best she'd ever had, and the brownies were more than deserved. She sat quietly underneath the sun, listening to the girls chat around her and eat. 

"We should go in the water," Sana said once everyone finished their food. 

"It looks like there's a ledge we can jump off of over there," Dahyun said. 

"I'm not really in the mood to die today, thanks," Momo answered. 

"How deep is the water?" Jeongyeon turned and asked Hyoyeon. 

"Pretty deep. You girls wanna jump off that thing? Me and the other counselors would always do that when we were campers." 

The girls all looked at each other and Jeongyeon shrugged, peeling off her clothes to reveal her swimsuit underneath. " it," she said, going over to the cliff and diving into the water. The other eight girls watched her in a panic until her head bobbed back above water a couple of seconds later. 

"It's so ing cold!" she screamed up to the others, laughing loudly. "But I feel so alive!" 

"Hell no," Momo mumbled. 

"My turn!" Dahyun shouted, getting into her swimsuit and jumping off the ledge too. "Holy !"

"Me next!" Chaeyoung said, following Jeongyeon and Dahyun in. Mina watched her in awe, smiling back at her smiling face when she came back up. "You guys have to come in it's so nice!" 

"I'll go the easy way," Momo said, slowly making her way down the hill. Right in front of the pool she got into her swim clothes and slid in. "They weren't kidding about the cold!" she whined, shivering loudly. The other girls rubbed her arms quickly. 

"The jump gives you adrenaline! Keeps you warm!" Dahyun explained, all four laughing. 

Tzuyu turned to Mina with a smile. "Wanna go down? We could just put our feet in." 

"That sounds really nice," Mina answered, and they slowly came down as well. They sat side by side, letting their lower legs relax in the cool fresh water.

"Glad you could make it," Chaeyoung said, swimming over to Mina. "Wanna come in?" 

"Nah," Mina answered. "This is good." 

A few seconds later and Sana had canonballed into the water, coming up all laughs. Jihyo followed a few seconds later, and even Nayeon sat beside Mina, letting her feet dangle too. 

"It is cold in here!" Jihyo cried. 

"I think we need to huddle!" Sana said and the girls all squished together, and Mina could hear their laughter bouncing off of the hills. 

"Alright ladies, time to head back to camp!" Hyoyeon called. "Get all your things together!" 

Tzuyu and Mina shared a terrified look: now, they had to walk back