Chapter Nine

paste you to the pages of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

God, as it turns out, has some pending revenge plan set for Nayeon.

“No,” Nayeon whines, voice cracking a little as she looks at her friends and hopes that her puppy eyes will work on them somewhat. “You can’t just say this to me when we’re about to leave!”

The pleading look does not work but Sana and Dahyun at least look remorseful.

“We’re so sorry, unnie,” Dahyun says, “but Momo-unnie has an important meeting this afternoon and I got roped into subbing for three classes today.”

Nayeon is just about to start whining again when Sana pipes up, “And I have an emergency photoshoot today because the photographer’s memory card got corrupted and they had no backup files.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Nayeon points out, momentarily distracted at hearing the information. “Who doesn’t have a backup of important pictures in their laptop?”

Sana shrugs, contrite still. “And Tzuyu-yah is out of town for a conference.”

Damn it. Why are they all busy today of all days? Why? What did even Nayeon do in her past life to deserve this punishment?

Nayeon turns to Jihyo and Jeongyeon who don’t even look as apologetic as Sana and Dahyun. These two, really. “And you two? What’s your excuse?”

“Seminar,” Jihyo answers at the same time that Jeongyeon replies, “VIP reservation.”

Ah, .

Nayeon is so screwed.

“Mommy! Wet’s go to the beach!”

And she can’t even do anything about it.

 

 

 

 

Mina is rightfully surprised when they meet up at the convenience store near the Ims’ apartment building.

Nayeon doesn’t miss how Mina’s eyes dart between Minji and Nayeon, obviously wondering why there are only two of them when she’s already used to having six other adults tagging along as buffers.

Her confusion, however, is quickly replaced by a smile when Minji automatically drops Nayeon’s hand to run to Mina while exclaiming, “Mama!”

Nayeon can’t help but smile as she watches how Mina immediately falls to her knees to receive Minji’s running hug. “Hi, sweetheart,” she greets with a quiet laugh. “How are you?”

“Excited!” Minji diligently answers, practically buzzing with anticipation. “I wanna swim!”

“Excited, huh? That’s good, we’ll have lots of fun today.” Mina’s smile grows even wider. “But where are your aunties?” The question is directed at Minji even when her eyes are on Nayeon, and Nayeon readily answers.

“Busy,” she says simply. “It’s just us three.”

Mina nods, smile never once faltering even as her brows furrow a little at hearing Nayeon’s statement. “Well, that’s okay. More food for us!”

Minji cheers and laughs alongside Mina, and Nayeon thinks maybe the day won’t be as bad as she first thought it’d be.

She’s spending it with her daughter, after all.

 

 

 

 

Apparently, Mina has prepared a lot for their beach getaway.

After promising Minji that they’d go to the beach, Mina immediately messaged Nayeon that they didn’t have to prepare for anything else but their clothes.

Of course, Nayeon was a little skeptical about Mina’s plan—she still doesn’t fully trust Mina and despite their past dates going great especially when Mina planned it, Nayeon doesn’t want to hope only for her and Minji to get disappointed.

So she also prepared for the worst by pre-ordering takeout boxes of Minji’s favorites.

Not that she had to because Mina already had everything prepared.

“Wow,” Minji exclaims as she stands on her tiptoes to look at the assortment of food and snacks her mama has readied for them. “Chips! Candies!” Minji gasps. “Ketchup!”

Nayeon purses her lips. Of course, they have ketchup. Can’t miss that when they have two people literally obsessed with the condiment.

“I was expecting your aunties to join us,” Mina explains when Nayeon’s curiosity gets the better of her and she finally goes around the car to look at the things inside Mina’s trunk. “So the food is kind of a lot.”

True enough, the assortment of snacks and pre-packed meals can probably feed ten people. Or seven if they had Momo with them.

“Aunties are busy,” answers Minji, still marveling at the variety of food. “Can I have Pepero, mama?”

“No,” Nayeon answers before Mina can even open to reply. “You haven’t had breakfast yet, sweetie. Have the sandwich first instead.”

Minji automatically juts out her lower lip. Nayeon thinks she’s emulated that attitude from her favorite godmother and she reminds herself to have a talk with Sana about it once she gets the chance. Her daughter can’t know the power she holds when yielding a pleading look.

“But, mommy.”

Nayeon’s voice turns stern. “Im Minji. You’re the one who insisted you wanted to have breakfast with your mama.”

At the reminder, Minji stops pouting and turns to Mina instead. “Mama, breakfast?”

Mina smiles down at Minji, and Nayeon tries not to feel mushy at how domestic they might look to an outsider—discussing about breakfast when they’re about to drive to the coast for a quick getaway.

This is what her life could’ve been.

“Of course, sweetheart. Where do you want to eat?”

 

 

 

 

Minji is too hyped that by the time they get to the designated parking lot for the beach nearest Seoul, she immediately launches herself out the car and runs away when Mina unlocks and opens the door.

“Minji, get back here!”

Nayeon doesn’t even turn to Mina before she’s sprinting after her daughter to prevent her from getting any farther.

“Yah, sweetie,” Nayeon reprimands once she gets hold of her daughter who’s practically vibrating with excitement at seeing the blue shade of the coast in the horizon. “How many times do I have to tell you to not run off?”

Minji only wiggles in Nayeon’s arms as she points at the beach behind them. “Mommy, water!”

“I know, sweetie, but let’s wait for your mama, okay? We have stuff to bring.”

When they return to the car, there are two beach bags sitting on top of the closed trunk, filled with what Nayeon supposes are food and other necessities they might need.

Minji wiggles out of Nayeon’s hold and readily gets her backpack from the backseat, smiling up at Mina as she says, “Mama, beach pretty!”

Mina crouches down to match Minji’s height, already beaming at their daughter. “Really? I’m glad you think so, sweetheart. Do you know how to swim?”

Minji shakes her head. “No, mama. Mommy’s afraid of water.”

Before Nayeon can deny it and say that she’s definitely not afraid of the water—just the sea in particular—Mina is already chuckling. “She still is, huh? That’s fine. We can just teach mommy how to float.”

“Fwoat!”

Nayeon doesn’t even have the time to get flustered at how Mina still remembers little details about her when Minji tugs at her hand. “Mommy, your bag. I wanna swim.”

After dropping a quick kiss on top of Minji’s head, Nayeon chuckles as she moves around the car and retrieves her own backpack. “Do you even have floaters, sweetie?”

Minji frowns and Nayeon can’t get over how cute her own daughter is. Although it shouldn’t be a surprise really—after all, she’s Nayeon’s daughter, and Nayeon’s genes are excellent.

“Fwoaters?”

“Yes, Minji-yah, floaters. You need them to…well, float.”

Minji turns to Mina who readily smiles at her. “Mama, we have fwoaters?”

Mina nods. “Of course. Mama’s a girl scout.”

Minji cheers and yes, fine, Nayeon is now looking forward to their beach day.

Never mind that Mina looks so attractive in her shorts and white front tie shirt and with her hair up in a high ponytail.

Never mind that Nayeon can’t help but blush every time Mina glances her way with a soft smile whenever Minji does something adorable.

Never mind that it’s just the three of them and Nayeon has to interact with Mina to stave off any suspicions from Minji.

Disregarding all of that, Nayeon is sure she’ll have fun today. Hopefully.

 

 

 

 

They’re the perfect picture of a happy family; especially with Minji giggling every ten seconds as she and Mina run around the beach and Nayeon watching from afar as she tries to give some space for the two to bond while also watching over her daughter.

And it really would’ve been perfect if only there is no stabbing pain that lances through Nayeon’s chest every time she catches a glimpse of Mina’s silver tooth whenever she grins at Minji.

Minji, who so easily accepted the news that she has, in fact, another mother that just appeared out of nowhere.

Not that anyone of them is complaining. Having Minji readily acknowledge Mina as part of their family is one less worry for Nayeon.

Although now that Nayeon has some alone time and space to mull things over, she can’t help but feel a little wistful that they’re having fun under complicated circumstances.

She and Mina still haven’t talked about what happened and the reason behind her disappearance, Mina is now working at Nayeon’s workplace, and Nayeon doesn’t know what to feel about her feelings for Mina.

Nayeon supposes that the only upside to this is that Minji isn’t even questioning their setup with Mina, simply content to spend time with her every weekend.

At least her life has a positive aspect.

“Mommy! Wook, we made penguin!”

Nayeon readily smiles as she stands up from her seat on their blanket—courtesy of Mina—to look over at her daughter’s drawing on the sand. It does look like a penguin, except for the missing flippers and its buffed torso.

Why does it even have abs?

Doesn’t matter, Nayeon decides as she snaps a picture of it with Minji’s tiny fingers hovering over the sand. It’s her daughter’s artwork in the end, anyway.

“Wow,” Nayeon exclaims, putting a hand to her chest for dramatic effect, “that looks good, sweetie!”

Minji giggles as she glances at Mina whose gummy smile has now taken up a permanent residence on her face. “Mama hewped draw! Mama, you’re artist, too?”

Mina ducks her head, suddenly bashful at the awe dripping from Minji’s voice. “Well, not really, but I try.”

“I wanna draw, too! Wike mommy!”

“Yes, your mommy draws really well, doesn’t she?”

Nayeon blinks, not expecting that offhanded compliment. Honestly, Mina has been saying a lot of things today that Nayeon isn’t expecting and it’s throwing her off the loop.

What even is happening?

“Yes! Mommy draws houses!” Minji is practically bouncing on her knees, making sand fly around her. “I wanna draw houses for penguins, too!”

Mina laughs at that and she pulls Minji closer to her side as she finally addresses Nayeon, “I’m sure your mommy will love that. Right, Nayeonnie?”

Nayeonnie.

“Stop making me laugh, Nayeonnie. I’m trying to be serious here.”

“Nayeonnie, you look really pretty.”

“Do you want to go out on a date with me, Nayeonnie? Like a romantic date?”

“Nayeonnie. Move in with me?”

“Nayeonnie, will you marry me?”

The memories that wash over Nayeon after hearing Mina’s ‘Nayeonnie’ are enough to render her silent for a few good seconds, and both Minji and Mina frown at seeing her suddenly become speechless and motionless.

But Nayeon can’t force her limbs to move, too stunned to act like hearing Mina call her Nayeonnie again after five excruciating years isn’t sending her back to the past when they were happy.

“Mommy?”

“Y-Yes,” Nayeon manages to finally stutter out. Mina looks at her with questions swimming in her hazel eyes, and Nayeon pretends not to notice. “Of course I’d love that. You’d make an amazing architect, sweetie.”

Minji giggles at the compliment and goes right back to making her penguin look even better.

And Nayeon hopes that Mina will do the same too.

Except she’s still eyeing Nayeon with an expression that too closely resembles regret and longing, and Nayeon can’t take it.

She can’t.

Not when Mina won’t even try to explain her reasons for leaving despite looking like she wants to get back with Nayeon and beg for her forgiveness.

That, or Nayeon is just being delusional.

The latter sounds more plausible. And less desperate.

Without thinking much about her actions, Nayeon announces, “I’ll just go buy us some ice cream.”

Nayeon doesn’t even hear Minji’s loud cheers nor Mina’s hasty, “Wait, unnie!” when she stands up and practically runs away, too focused on the fact that hearing her nickname from Mina can make her crumble down into a thousand broken pieces.

She just wanted the day to go normal. No incidents. No blasts from the past. No heartaches brought about by a simple moniker.

Why can’t they give her that?

More importantly, why can’t Mina just explain everything once and for all?

Why, Mina? Why?

 

 

 

 

When Nayeon gets back with three melting ice cream cones in her hands, she’s more composed.

Heaving out breaths and silently sobbing inside a relatively clean portable toilet allow her to get her together long enough to survive the day and ensure that her daughter enjoys their beach getaway.

She hasn’t even thought much about leaving Minji alone with Mina when she ran away—too focused on the pain gripping at her heart—and she hopes that Mina didn’t decide to kidnap Minji out of spite.

Thankfully, Nayeon’s assumptions are debunked when she spots Mina and Minji under the shade of their umbrella, this time building a sand castle with their bare hands.

Of course, it’s when her heart decides to clench in her chest again, making her steps falter as she draws near the two.

Stop hurting al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter