Chapter Eleven

paste you to the pages of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Nayeon isn’t getting a break any time soon. I like torturing my characters. You’ve been warned.

Also, law and business people, kindly look away. I did my best in researching the stuff in this chapter but Google can only provide so much information.

 

 

 

“Nayeonnie?”

Nayeon looks up from reviewing the sketches Ryujin delivered to her desk to find Joohyun at her office’s doorway. Her expression is pensive and Nayeon is immediately alarmed. The last thing she needs today is another conflict. Her personal life already has enough of those. She doesn’t need her work life to have the same fate.

“Oh, hey, unnie. What’s up?”

“You have a sec?”

Nayeon is confused at the non-answer but she nods, nonetheless. “Yeah, sure.”

Joohyun doesn’t bother sitting down as she approaches Nayeon’s desk—an additional warning sign for Nayeon—and instead simply hands her a file while saying, “We just received a copyright complaint from Park Jinsoul regarding your design for Haeundae Central.”

“I’m sorry, what?” Nayeon asks even as she grabs the file from Joohyun and quickly reads through it.

… complaint about Im Nayeon’s structural design for the Hotel Haeundae Central… plagiarized the design of Park Jinsoul for the Ramada Hotel…

Nayeon looks up from the paper in her hands and at Joohyun who’s patiently waiting for her reaction. “I never plagiarized anyone’s design.”

Joohyun’s nod is solemn. “We know.”

“This is bull.”

“We know.”

Nayeon is seething. This on top of everything else on her already full plate? . Which god did she even piss off to experience these complications? “What do I need to do?”

“Atty Myoui is currently talking with Jen to discuss the legal actions we’re going to take. She told me to talk to you first before going up to her office.”

Nayeon doesn’t know if Jennie wanted her to be prepared for the complaint or for meeting Mina, but whatever her reason, she’s grateful that her friend is looking out for her.

God, you really do hate me, don’t you?

 

 

 

 

Nayeon and Joohyun arrive at Jennie’s office and see Mina silently going over a file in her hands on one of the couches while Jennie looks like she’s one second away from throwing away her computer.

“We’re here, Jennie-yah,” Joohyun greets as soon as they enter Jennie’s office.

With a space that can fit two of Nayeon’s office, there’s plenty of room for the four of them, and Nayeon settles herself on the couch beside Jennie, ignoring the concerned look Mina’s throwing her way.

Joohyun takes up the other couch across from them that Mina is occupying.

The mood is somber and Nayeon just wants to get this over with.

“Okay, so I’m being accused of plagiarism,” Nayeon starts, feeling anger seep through her veins at the mere thought of it. She’s worked hard through uni and the corporate ladder to get where she is now. She would never jeopardize her career and livelihood just to copy someone else’s work. “What do we need to do?”

Joohyun nods, expression serious as she retrieves another document from her briefcase. “For the sake of keeping everyone up to speed, we received a plagiarism complaint from Architect Park Jinsoul stating that the structural design Nayeon-ah made for Hotel Haeundae Central building was copied from his Ramada project. I’ve had Yeji-ah run a background check on him and he seems to be a freelance architect working with large construction firms.”

“He’s also well-known for his modernist designs for various hotels in the country,” Mina adds, not looking up from the paper in her hands.

Nayeon chooses to ignore how much her heart is fluttering at the mere sight of Mina in a tailored-fit suit and instead focuses on the problem at hand. This is more important than her stupid attraction to her ex. “Okay, so he’s good. Whatever. I don’t care. I didn’t plagiarize his work.”

“We know that,” Joohyun insists, “but he’s adamant about you giving him rightful credits as the inspiration of your design within fifteen days or agreeing to change the exterior design of the hotel or he’s going to take this to court.”

Nayeon frowns. Those aren’t good options at all, and she feels that she’s being coerced into a trap. “Wow. Okay, first of all, why would I give him credits if I didn’t even know who he is until today? And changing a whole hotel exterior in the middle of summer? When everyone’s vacationing? Never mind the complications we’d have with the hotel management itself!”

“He’s a .” It’s the first thing that Jennie says in the full five-minutes that they’ve been talking and Nayeon can’t help but guffaw.

“Your firm is at risk here, you know that, right?” Nayeon asks her once she’s managed to compose herself.

Jennie shrugs as if she couldn’t be bothered. And with the amount of wealth that the Kims have, Jennie has the right not to be. “I trust you, and I believe in Joohyun-unnie’s ability to prove your innocence so I’m not really worried.”

“Too much faith, Jen,” Joohyun says but her lips are curled up. “We need your insights, too.”

“My insights?” Jennie repeats before curves into a mischievous smirk, and Nayeon already knows what her friend will say before she even says it. “I say we take it to court and drag him through the mud for even thinking that he could accuse my Creatives Director of plagiarism.”

The statement says a lot about Jennie’s confidence in Nayeon’s capabilities as an architect, and it makes Nayeon’s heart swell. Jennie gambled on Nayeon’s skills when she first applied here, and she’s taking a chance on her again with this stupid complaint.

To avoid tearing up like a kid, Nayeon instead decides to tease Jennie. “Aw, you do love me, don’t you?”

“Shut the up.”

At that, Nayeon whines and begins slapping Jennie’s arm for being such a ‘cold-hearted friend,’ not caring about the gravity of her career situation right now.

And as Nayeon continues playfully slapping Jennie—who readily returns the smacks she receives—in the corner of her eye, she notices Mina observing them with curiosity, a cute little smile on her face.

Cute? Damn it, Nayeon. Stop thinking like a teenager.

“Okay,” Joohyun states, “that’s enough.”

Their unnie’s statement makes Nayeon and Jennie both stop slapping at each other’s arms and they both settle back down on the couch, waiting for Joohyun to resume. Such is the power of one Bae Joohyun.

“So, are we really taking this to court?”

Jennie nods. “Of course we are. I’d like this Park Jinsoul to know that messing with any employee of Kim Interiors isn’t a good idea.”

Nayeon swears she could’ve melted right there and then with how protective Jennie is of her. But instead of doing that and revealing her mushy side, all she says is, “I’m sure that Joohyun-unnie will win this for us.”

Joohyun looks suddenly apprehensive and Nayeon braces herself for the worst. “Earlier on, Mina-ssi and I talked on our way here about our possible actions regarding the complaint. We decided that if we do take it to court, it’s best if she handles the case with you.”

Nayeon already said she has enough complications in her life, right? Is the universe really not listening?

Now she needs to work closely with Mina? Her ex? The other mother of her daughter? Her supposed wife who left her at the altar?

you, universe.

“But your specialty was criminal law,” Nayeon tells Mina without much thought, mind reeling with Joohyun’s decision, “not corporate or intellectual law.”

Jennie and Joohyun both look at her with obvious suspicion in their eyes and Mina blinks at her.

Only then does it hit Nayeon.

Im Nayeon, the expert in digging her own grave. Maybe she kind of deserves what the universe is giving her.

“I, uh,” Mina starts, not meeting any of their gazes, “shifted specialties back in Japan. Corporate law is less stressful than criminal law. It’s my doctor’s advice. So, I… shifted specialties.”

Doctor? Why would Mina listen to a doctor about shifting law specialties?

Nayeon doesn’t get to dwell much on that question though, because Joohyun, bless her kind soul, senses the tension starting to build and she hurries to steer the conversation to safe grounds. “Since Atty Myoui has more experience in handling corporate copyright cases than I do, we deem it best to have her personally handle this.”

At Joohyun’s explanation, Mina finally glances at Nayeon, as if gauging her reaction.

Beside her, Jennie leans close and whispers, “That means you need to closely work with your ex.”

Nayeon throws her friend a glare, knowing full well that Jennie only explained that to . “I know that, midget.”

“I will fire you, Im.” Jennie scowls at her. “Also, we have the same height, paboya.”

“Is that okay with you, unnie?” Mina asks, not even realizing the slip of the familiar honorific in a professional setting.

Nayeon won’t usually mind Mina using it despite the… complications between them, but she knows how perceptive Joohyun can be and Jennie will surely about it later.

Still, nothing she can do about it now but pretend she doesn’t notice it. “Of course. If that’s what Joohyun-unnie thinks is best, then I’m onboard, too.”

Mina gives her a gummy smile, and damn you, butterflies for suddenly appearing in Nayeon’s stomach for no reason other than Mina’s smile is cute and it eases Nayeon’s worries, even just a bit.

“Joohyun-sunbaenim,” Mina addresses Joohyun, gesturing at the document in her hands, “now that we’ve decided, I hope you don’t mind if I go over the complaint again and do a more thorough background check on Park Jinsoul.”

Joohyun nods, a gentle smile on her face. “Of course.”

Nayeon wonders if her unnie is already fond of Mina despite only working with her for a few weeks and knowing her past with Nayeon. Mina, with her quiet demeanor and air of elegance and kindness, has that kind of effect on people, so Nayeon won’t really be surprised if Mina has quickly managed to get on Joohyun’s good side.

Mina says the obligatory goodbye to Jennie complete with the sajangnim (which makes Nayeon purse her lips because Jennie hates being called that).

Then, to Nayeon’s surprise, Mina turns to her and says, “I’ll come to you once I have more information. See you, Nayeon-unnie.”

And then she’s out of Jennie’s office.

“Nayeon-unnie, huh?”

She knew it.

And despite that knowledge, she doesn’t know how to reply to Jennie and effectively deflect her taunts.

Because not only is Nayeon faced with a stupid and baseless plagiarism complaint, but she’s also going to have to work with Mina to solve it. Gotta love her life.

Despite her silence and inattention, Nayeon still manages to catch Joohyun shooting Jennie a warning glare, which doesn’t even affect Jennie in the slightest.

“She’s respectful, Jennie-yah,” Joohyun answers for Nayeon when a minute lapses with still no response from her.

Jennie looks skeptical of that response but Joohyun’s reply gives enough time for Nayeon to gather her thoughts.

“She calls me unnie because she actually respects her elders,” Nayeon snarks, hoping to steer Jennie’s attention somewhere… safer. “Unlike you.”

Jennie, thankfully, bites into her bait. “So you’re admitting you’re old?”

Nayeon rolls her eyes, groaning, “Oh, go to hell.”

Jennie only smirks at her, triumphant at having one-upped Nayeon in their silly game of annoying the hell out of each other.

“Are you sure you’re okay with working with Mina-ssi, Nay?” Joohyun suddenly asks, the question surprising Nayeon so much that she actually jumps a little in her seat.

Jennie raises a brow at her and Joohyun looks apologetic.

In all honesty, Nayeon is more than wary of having to work with Mina. It’s already complicated to be spending time with her for Minji. Working in the same firm as her and cooperating with her for a stupid complaint—which will require them to be alone for long periods of time—will only make things more difficult and awkward.

For Nayeon at least.

Their beach getaway last weekend seems to have made Mina more comfortable around Nayeon again.

Not comfortable enough to explain, though, a part of Nayeon whispers conspiratorially.

A part Nayeon decidedly ignores because she doesn’t need to overthink things and make them more convoluted for herself.

And besides, if Joohyun said that it’s best that Mina handles the case instead of her, then Nayeon believes her. Joohyun may not be as antagonizing towards Mina unlike Jennie, but she does care for Nayeon’s we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter