Chapter Sixteen

paste you to the pages of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While Nayeon is still reeling from the knowledge that there’ll be a company teambuilding with Mina in it, she still manages to focus on work and get things done before five.

And despite the dread that lies in the pit of her stomach at the mere likelihood of her and Mina sharing a cabin with just the two of them for five days, she still goes down to Mina’s floor to ask a question she’s been planning to ask for days now (never mind all the revelations and complications the past few days).

“You wanna pick Minji up from school with me?”

Mina is surprised at Nayeon’s presence in her office—more so by the invitation—but her eyes light up as if she’s been gifted something special. “I can?”

Nayeon shrugs. Mina is a good influence on Minji—always telling her stories from her time in Japan and cute little facts about random things. Just because Nayeon has warring thoughts every time they’re within a five-foot radius of each other doesn’t mean she’ll rob Mina and her daughter of the chance to bond.

And it’s also Nayeon’s way of saying thank you for Mina’s effort to solve the plagiarism complaint ASAP.

“Of course. She’s your daughter, too.”

It’s a line that Nayeon has kept saying over and over lately, and she isn’t entirely sure if she says it for Mina’s sake or hers.

Maybe both.

Mina is nodding vigorously. “Okay. I, uh, I just need to prepare my things. Is that okay?”

Nayeon hums with a nod as she turns away and heads for the door. “Go ahead.”

A smile is thrown her way. “Thanks, unnie. Be right with you.” Then Mina practically jumps out of her seat just as Nayeon leaves her office, and she swears she’s never seen Mina this excited before.

It’s… cute. How thrilled Mina can get whenever she gets the chance to see Minji. Whenever Nayeon allows her to (even though Nayeon knows deep down that she’s not being entirely fair to her).

But Nayeon can’t help but also notice that despite Mina’s enthusiasm, there’s still hesitance behind her every action. As if she’s afraid she’s crossing an invisible line she’s drawn herself. Not that Nayeon blames her.

They still haven’t talked about their issues, after all, and their civility towards each other for Minji’s sake can be considered fragile (never mind the fact that they’ve had… slips lately).

Nayeon’s pretty sure Mina doesn’t want their civility to break lest she’s forced to stay away from Minji. Dahyun is right about that.

But just thinking about trying to separate Minji and Mina is already putting a strain on Nayeon’s heart, which makes her think that it’ll be quite impossible to do that if necessary.

Nayeon desperately hopes it won’t come to that.

“Sorry, I took so long,” Mina pants once she reaches Nayeon.

Nayeon doesn’t even notice how long she’s been standing near the elevators so she simply waves off Mina’s concerns. “That’s fine. You ready?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright. Let’s pick Minji up.”

 

 

 

 

“Mommy!”

Halfway through the schoolyard, Minji abruptly stops as she notices the other woman standing beside Nayeon.

“Mama?”

Mina, unsure of how to greet her own daughter, tentatively waves. “Hey, sweetie.”

Minji’s whole face lights up and she practically barrels through the sea of students to run up to Mina while exclaiming, “Mama! You’re here!”

Nayeon can’t help the laugh that escapes her when Mina loses her balance a little at the force with which Minji launches herself at her.

She doesn’t even think twice about steadying Mina with an arm around her waist as she slightly reprimands Minji, “Minji, sweetie, easy on your mama.”

“Sorry, mommy.” Minji doesn’t look sorry at all as she makes herself comfortable in Mina’s arms. “Got excited because mama’s here.”

Nayeon boops her daughter’s nose with the tip of her finger, a smile taking up a permanent residence on her face at the excitement Minji is exuding. “You want mama to pick you up from school every day, then?”

“Can she?” she asks Nayeon. And then remembering that her mama is right there holding her, Minji turns to Mina, “Can you, mama?”

Mina doesn’t immediately answer and Nayeon looks at her with worry. That’s weird. Mina almost always has an answer ready for Minji but right now she’s…

… blushing?

That can’t be because of Minji, right? Her daughter is heavy but not that heavy. And she’s carried her for a few seconds tops.

And the weather isn’t hot today, either, so that can’t be it.

So why else is she blushing, then?

And then Nayeon realizes that the distance between her and Mina is basically non-existent—she can practically inhale the fruity scent of Mina’s shampoo and the sweet intoxicating scent of her jasmine perfume—and that her arm is still around Mina’s waist.

Oh, . Oh, .

Nayeon jumps away as if burned.

This time, it’s Minji who looks at her with worry and confusion. “Mommy? You okay?”

Nayeon’s nod is stiff and she doesn’t even try to answer for fear of hearing how shaky her voice is.

, , . What were you thinking?

It’s as if the link between Nayeon’s logical mind and autopilot instincts gets severed whenever she’s within Mina’s vicinity.

God. If this can happen to her when she and Mina see each other weekly, how is Nayeon supposed to deal with her stupid instinctive responses if she spends time alone with Mina for five nights? In a remote cabin, no less?

!

Minji has her brows furrowed still. “Mama?”

The flush on Mina’s cheeks is still visible but she manages to answer their daughter verbally. “I-I can pick you up every day, of course. If that’s okay with your mommy.”

The reply effectively takes away the suspicion and confusion in Minji’s features and she throws her arms up in the air with a loud exclamation, “Yay! Thank you, mama! I wuv you.”

“You look like the perfect family.”

Nayeon jerks at the sudden comment from behind her abruptly pulled away from the sweet scene in front of her and her tumultuous thoughts, and she turns to see a middle-aged woman smiling kindly at her.

“Oh, uh. Thank you?” Her reply sounds more like a question than a statement. Sue her for being unable to reply properly. She just had to deal with how chaotic her thoughts became because of one simple incident. It wasn’t even as intense as the… hug incident, as Nayeon dubbed it in her mind.

The woman, thankfully, ignores the uncertainty in Nayeon’s tone. “Your daughter is classmates with my granddaughter and she’s always gushing about how nice Minji is. You two must’ve raised her well.”

Nayeon automatically glances at Minji and Mina who are both too busy retelling each other about the respective day they had to pay the other woman any mind. Nayeon doesn’t even think much about her reply, instead simply agreeing, “We must’ve, yes.”

“Anyway, I just wanted to say that. Your child is a good influence on my little girl and you should be proud.” With one last smile at Nayeon, the woman leaves.

Perfect family, huh?

And as Nayeon continues watching Mina and Minji giggling with each other, maybe, just maybe, setting aside their issues and Nayeon’s inability to think and act properly around Mina, they are a perfect family.

 

 

 

 

Minji’s excitement of having her mothers pick her up from school and treating her to ice cream afterward has her zooming past every adult on her way to the parking lot.

And it would’ve been fine really if only Minji manages to stop and wait for her mothers before crossing the street.

Except she doesn’t and a car comes so fast at Minji that Nayeon doesn’t even have the time to scream out her daughter’s name, much more move as if her feet are planted on the pavement.

It’s Mina who runs past Nayeon and gathers Minji in her arms just in time to turn her away from the speeding car and save their daughter from imminent danger.

When Mina sets Minji on the ground while kneeling in front of her, Nayeon’s legs finally seem to regain their motor abilities.

She rushes to the two and fusses over Minji, her heart almost leaping out of her chest at what could’ve happened. At what she almost let happen. “Baby, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? How do you feel?” Nayeon asks as her gaze travels from the top of Minji’s head down to her black school shoes.

Minji’s only looking at Nayeon in confusion, as if she herself doesn’t know what happened, but other than that she seems fine.

Still, even with that knowledge, Nayeon can’t help but let out a shaky breath.

Minji could’ve been hit by a car.

God. Nayeon’s shuddering just thinking about it.

She could’ve lost her daughter. If Mina wasn’t fast enough, Minji would’ve—she could’ve—

“Nayeonnie,” Mina's soft voice pulls Nayeon out of her thoughts before she could further drown in them, her hand gently cradling Nayeon’s cheek as she turns her face towards her.

The warmth of Mina’s hold on her slowly seeps into Nayeon’s skin, making Nayeon’s heart slowly go back to its usual rhythm the longer Mina keeps her hold on her.

Nayeon barely manages to meet Mina’s gaze but when she does, she sees the same worry reflected in those brown eyes. But she also notices the reassurance, the strength that they exude.

“Our daughter’s safe.”

It’s soft, softer than how Mina usually speaks and it’s most likely to keep Minji oblivious to what might’ve happened to her but Nayeon also knows it’s Mina’s way of reassuring and calming her down.

Slowly, and without conscious thought, the adrenaline from what could’ve happened to Minji subsides the longer Nayeon keeps her gaze on Mina.

Nayeon doesn’t even understand how it’s possible for her to feel calmer with just a simple look and hold from Mina, but she doesn’t question it anymore—grateful that she has Mina with her. Even temporarily. Even if the circumstances surrounding this moment aren’t pleasant.

Because Mina is right. Their daughter is safe.

A shout nearby alerts both Nayeon and Mina and they break their eye contact to crane their necks and see some bystanders rapping at the window of the now-parked car that almost hit Minji.

The ing bastard.

“What do you want? I didn’t hit her, did I?” the driver practically shouts as he rolls down his window, his voice demanding.

With the concern and fear slowly seeping out of her system, Nayeon now instead feels enraged at the driver, especially with his attitude. He’s the one who was driving recklessly. Son of a .

“Apologize at least, man,” a male bystander says, gesturing at Mina, Nayeon, and Minji.

“You were driving recklessly,” another bystander comments. “This is a school zone.”

“Mommy, what’s happening?” Minji asks, looking up at Nayeon. She’s only curious, with no signs of her being upset by an almost accident, and Nayeon is glad for small miracles.

The last thing she needs is for Minji to be traumatized because someone was being too careless.

“Nothing, sweetheart,” Mina answers immediately before she drops a kiss on Minji’s forehead and adds, “Stay with your mommy, okay? I’ll be right back.”

Then Mina leaves them, but not without a quick squeeze on Nayeon’s shoulder and a look that says, “I’ve got you.”

Relegated to keeping Minji away from the commotion, Nayeon simply watches from her position near the pedestrian lane as Mina walks up to the driver, who climbs out of the car just in time to meet her.

“You know that was your fault, right?” the man asks, voice loud enough for Nayeon to hear him despite the five-foot distance between them.

Even from her position, Nayeon can’t help but gasp. She could’ve lost her daughter and this man has the audacity to blame them?

The cold feeling of what could’ve happened returns to Nayeon’s lower stomach, making her clutch Minji closer to her chest.

“You could’ve hit our daughter,” Nayeon hears Mina say, ic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter