Chapter Ten

paste you to the pages of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: not super minayeon-centric chap but I need it for the plot. shorter compared to the last two chapters too but the next chapter after this has a different… theme so I had to separate this one.

 

 

“Did you all know that Chaeyoung is in Japan?”

As the norm, five heads all whip in Nayeon’s direction, and the way they all say, “What?” at the same time is almost comical.

Almost.

Nayeon is serious about grilling Jeongyeon. She even coaxed all of her friends to spend their Sunday afternoon in her apartment—going as far as dropping off Minji at her grandma’s for the day—to ensure that she would get all the answers she needs to hear from Jeongyeon.

“Mina told me,” Nayeon explains when her friends only blink at her. “Said Chaeyoung was in Japan and she actually managed to find her.” She turns to Jeongyeon with accusations clear in her eyes. She’s the one who promised to keep in touch with Chaeyoung after all. “Did you know anything about that?”

Jeongyeon doesn’t shy away from Nayeon’s intense gaze. “I do. Did Mitang also mention Chaeng’s exhibit?” She shrugs as if it wasn’t a big deal that one of them was actually in contact with Chaeyoung all this time.

Nayeon gasps. “You know about that, too?”

Everyone else in the room is now closely paying attention, too. They’re all confused and intrigued at the sudden revelations, but they don’t want to in in case they further fuel Nayeon’s ire.

She’s already high-strung as it is, evident by her clenched fists on top of the table.

Jeongyeon nods, unbothered by the questioning looks that she’s receiving from their friends as she continues eating ramyeon. “Chaeyoung messages me sometimes. You know, updates and milestones.”

“Wait, since when?” demands Jihyo, a frown forming on her face as Jeongyeon’s admission finally sinks in.

So, she does know about Chaeyoung.

Again, a shrug. Jeongyeon’s indifference is setting off alarms in Nayeon’s gut. “Since she left to look for Mitang.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? Us?” If Jeongyeon knew about Chaeyoung staying in Japan and actually finding Mina, what else does her best friend know that she isn’t telling Nayeon?

Nayeon doesn’t want to think about it because once she does, she knows there’s no going back and she doesn’t want to stop trusting one of her best friends.

Jeongyeon stops slurping on her ramyeon, her expression suddenly apologetic. “Chaeyoung was embarrassed that she couldn’t convince Mitang to come back here so she didn’t want me to tell any of you.”

“We don’t keep secrets from each other. We promised.” After Mina left, was left unsaid, but Nayeon knows Jeongyeon understands it just fine.

When Jeongyeon doesn’t reply, Dahyun takes the chance to finally ask a question herself, “Even if Chaeyoung was ashamed about not convincing Mina-unnie to come home, why didn’t you tell any of us about her location, unnie?”

There’s a slight crease between her brows and Nayeon can only imagine the questions swirling in Dahyun’s mind. She, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu are the closest in their group due to their proximity in age, and Nayeon knows that the sudden information about her best friend is sending Dahyun’s brain into turmoil.

Sana is nodding, expression grave as well. “I was so worried about Chaeyoungie. I even thought she died or something.”

Jeongyeon at least looks regretful with the way that all of their friends are now wondering why she’s decided to keep such vital information from them.

There were always nine of them. Even if their group has paired off into couples, their friendship remained intact. And losing not only one but two from their group really tested their bond.

And now they learn that Jeongyeon actually knew where Mina and Chaeyoung were?

Jihyo is the one who says what they’re all feeling. “I’m so ing mad at you right now, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

Before Jihyo can say more, Jeongyeon is already spewing explanations, “Look, all I knew was that Chaeyoung found Mina and that’s it. I didn’t know about their exact locations or their jobs or whatever the they were doing while they were there. Chaeyoung is secretive, you all know that. And she always messages me first. Not the other way around.”

“That doesn’t justify your hiding of Chaeyoung’s whereabouts!” Jihyo exclaims, unable to hide her emotions any longer. Thank goodness Minji’s not here.

Out of all of them, Nayeon has least expected Jihyo to get mad like this. It’s scary. And worrying. Jihyo almost never loses her cool like this. Sure, she’d scold Nayeon, Momo, and Jeongyeon, sometimes even Sana, for acting like children but she’s never actually angry at them. Or angry in general.

Jeongyeon hangs her head. “They made me promise.”

“They?” Nayeon asks but her question falls on deaf ears.

Or rather, it’s overpowered by Jihyo’s “We all thought something bad happened to them, Jeong! I ing thought Chaeyoung died!”

Jihyo’s words, despite being said in anger, are countered by how her voice breaks in the end.

“Unnie,” Dahyun says, reaching out a hand to rub Jihyo’s back. Even Sana goes around the kitchen counter to wrap her arms around Jihyo and offer her comfort.

The sight of Jihyo blinking back tears and failing makes Nayeon’s chest tighten. Jihyo is rarely ever emotional but when she is, the whole dam breaks.

God ing damn it, Jeong.

“I’m sorry.”

Jihyo only shakes her head before she throws a glare at Jeongyeon, shrugs off Sana’s hold on her, and leaves Nayeon’s apartment without a word.

They all exchange a quick look before Dahyun and Sana readily jump into action and follow Jihyo out.

“That was bad, Jeongyeon-unnie,” Tzuyu says. There’s no malice or judgment in her voice, just plain, factual, to-the-point, typical-Tzuyu tone. Nayeon doesn’t know if it’s good or bad.

“That counts as lying, Yoo,” adds Momo. Her mood is glum, too, apparent in her inability to finish her own ramyeon. And Momo always finishes her ramyeon.

Jeongyeon drops her head into her hands, groaning. If Nayeon isn’t so conflicted with her emotions right now, she’d at least try to offer Jeong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter