Chapter Twelve

paste you to the pages of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The high from Minji’s surprise visit doesn’t last until the end of the week.

“He’s insisting that we give him a reply within the seven days since he’s sent the letter.”

Nayeon scoffs and she can’t help herself when she says, “That’s bull. The letter explicitly said fifteen days.”

Mina nods but her expression is hard to decipher. She looks kind of mad. Nayeon isn’t sure if it’s because of this Park Jinsoul’s ry or something else. “That’s what I told him, too, but he and his lawyer were adamant about it. Even threatened to raise it to court now if we don’t reply within his new timeframe.”

Nayeon clenches her jaw. Seven days. That means they have until Monday to formulate a suitable response to the stupid complaint or it’ll be escalated to court. Just their luck that it’s already Friday.

.

“That means overtime,” Nayeon points out, finally understanding why Mina looks so frustrated. Overtime means working on weekends which would mean that Mina won’t be able to spend time with their daughter.

If Nayeon were in Mina’s shoes, she would’ve been pissed, too.

Mina nods again but this time she says, “Yes. I found some more information about Park’s tendencies that I mentioned last time but I would need more time to further substantiate it. I think it’s our best shot to make him confess—or at the very least, settle with an agreement—instead of bringing it up to court.”

Nayeon previously mentioned that Mina is good at her job but did she also say that she used to get more drawn to Mina whenever she’s in her zone? That Nayeon used to cut off Mina’s tirade about clients and working overtime on lawsuits with a kiss and by pushing her against whatever furniture was nearby?

And it seems that five years of no contact weren’t enough for Nayeon’s subconscious to forget that.

Nayeon tears her gaze away from Mina’s to avoid being caught in the act of thinking that an infuriated Mina talking about law-related things is… well, hot.

, Momo is going to absolutely murder her.

“O-Okay.” , she stuttered. Nayeon clears , pointedly looking at the blueprints on her table to avoid meeting Mina’s eyes. “Let’s just do what we can finish by tonight. If we need to work tomorrow, we can… do it in my apartment.”

“Eh?”

Nayeon finally looks up to see Mina tilting her head at her, confusion evident in her brown eyes. “What do you mean by ‘eh?’”

Mina blinks. “I can go to your apartment?”

It’s some sort of silent agreement between them that Mina will only meet up with Minji anywhere but at their apartment. Nayeon didn’t give their exact address and Mina didn’t dare ask. Even during their beach getaway, Mina was only allowed to wait at a convenience store nearby as per Nayeon’s instruction, instead of at the Ims’ actual apartment building.

So, Nayeon understands that Mina is shocked to hear Nayeon’s statement.

But Nayeon is getting tired of ‘gatekeeping’ Minji from her mama when the two obviously adore each other to the point that they literally glow when they’re together.

Besides, it’s well within Mina’s rights to spend more time with their daughter.

Getting to know their address is just a consequence of that.

“Yes,” Nayeon replies, “that way we can also spend time with Minji. Her godmothers are busy this weekend so it’ll just be the three of us again, anyway.”

Mina blinks again, as if still not believing the privilege that Nayeon just bestowed upon her. “That’s… that’s great. Thank you so much, unnie.”

Nayeon manages a smile. “I’m sure Minji will be ecstatic.”

 

 

 

 

Minji is more than overjoyed when Nayeon opens their apartment door to Mina whose smile can rival Minji’s.

“Mama!”

“Hi, sweetheart!” Mina greets, immediately setting aside the briefcase and tote bag she was carrying to receive Minji’s hug.

“Here to pway, mama?” Minji still asks despite Nayeon previously telling her that she and Mina have some work to do.

Mina briefly glances at Nayeon as if seeking help before her lips turn down into a frown. “I’m sorry, sweetheart, but your mommy and I have some work to do today. But,” Mina immediately adds before Minji can even start to pout, “we can play after we’re finished. Is that okay with you?”

Minji nods, happy with Mina’s promise. “Okay, mama!”

“Alright,” Nayeon finally speaks with a smile of her own, “let’s get to work.”

They settle nicely on the living room’s coffee table with Minji working on her coloring book between Nayeon and Mina.

Without much to do aside from reviewing her own design and comparing it to Park Jinsoul’s—she swears there are no similarities between their works—Nayeon has more time to pay attention to how focused Mina and Minji are.

And how similar they look alike.

Sure, Nayeon initially thought that Minji was starting to look like Mina even before Mina returned to Korea. Still, the more she observes the two together, the surer Nayeon becomes that Minji is Mina’s doppelgänger or something.

The only defining physical features that Minji seemingly inherited from Nayeon are her eyes and the roundness of her cheeks. Everything else screams Myoui Mina.

And Nayeon really thought she could hide Minji from Mina? Even from the beginning, Nayeon never really stood a chance.

“Nayeon-unnie,” Mina softly calls, jolting Nayeon out of her musings, “can you take a look at this?” Mina slides her laptop towards Nayeon and gestures at the screen.

Nayeon frowns as she looks at two hotel fronts with modernistic designs. She can’t quite grasp what she’s looking for and she wonders why Mina even showed them to her at all. “Uh, okay… What about them?”

“Are there any similarities between them?”

Nayeon lets out a quiet ‘ah’ before turning back to the screen and looking at the designs more closely. Aside from the materials used—Nayeon’s quite sure both used float glass—there’s nothing else. And she says as much to Mina. “They don’t.”

Mina nods, satisfied with Nayeon’s answer. “I thought so, too.” Then she retrieves her laptop from Nayeon and continues scrolling on it. “The one on the right was Park Jinsoul’s work while the other was from an architect named Lee Hyung-sik. Could you believe that Park also threatened to file a formal complaint for plagiarism against Lee?”

“What?” Nayeon is taken aback and she barely resists the urge to snatch back the laptop from Mina’s hands. “They have no similarities whatsoever. Anyone with eyes can see that.”

“I know right?” Mina sounds almost amused as if she can’t believe someone had the gall to file such a ridiculous complaint. “I don’t understand how he manages to coerce people into giving him credits for designs obviously not similar to his.”

Nayeon’s brows knit together at hearing that. So this Park Jinsoul really thought he could do the same to Nayeon? Considering that Kim Interiors is part of the Kim Group of Companies, which is one of the biggest conglomerates in Korea, Nayeon would’ve thought for sure that no one would try to attempt on doing such a scheme on their company.

Yet, here they are.

“Well, he’s pressuring the wrong firm this time,” Nayeon says. More accurately, he’s coercing the wrong architect.

Mina’s just about to agree when Minji suddenly huffs, “Yah, mommy and mama noisy.” Then with a quiet, ‘hmp!’ Minji gathers her coloring book and crayons, stands up from her seat, and moves around the coffee table to settle on the other side.

Which unfortunately leaves a space between Nayeon and Mina, practically forcing them to sit beside each other.

“Yah, Im Minji,” Nayeon exclaims to try and hide the blush she knows is visible on her cheeks, “did you just say mommy and mama are noisy?”

Minji huffs again, too focused on coloring her penguin—ah, that’s why—but she still manages to repeat, “Yes, mommy and mama noisy.”

Mina is more amused than anything so she doesn’t really notice the space vacated by Minji but Nayeon does.

And oh boy, does she feel more hyperaware of everything about Mina because of it.

Mina came in wearing a simple black shirt and blue jeans and much as Nayeon tries to ignore how good Mina looks in such a casual outfit, she can’t help but… well, admire.

Again, Mina is appealing to the eyes, Nayeon is only human, and she can’t help it if she’s physically attracted to Mina, okay?

Add that to the subtle jasmine scent that wafts to Nayeon’s nose every time Mina flips her hair over her shoulders and Nayeon is practically weak on the knees.

.

Stupid brain. Stupid attraction. Stupid hormones! Ugh!

“We’ll tone it down for you, sweetheart,” Mina says, abruptly pulling Nayeon out of her silly thoughts, “Sorry for distracting you.”

Minji still looks a little miffed at their ‘noise’ but she nods. “‘S okay, mama.”

Mina smiles and then gets right back to whatever she was doing before Minji’s exclamation.

And Nayeon? Well, she doesn’t get much work done what with a distraction in the form of one Myoui Mina, so she simply decides to just prepare their lunch.

She might as well do something more productive with her time instead of moon over her ex.

Ex. Remember that, Im?

“You want anything for lunch?” Nayeon asks as she’s standing up from her seat on the floor.

Mina stops typing on her laptop to blink curiously up at Nayeon and—goddammit, she looks beautiful in this lighting. Hair messy from how much she’s run her fingers through it, brows knitted together at the middle forming a cute little scrunch, and lips slightly parted as she stares up at Nayeon.

So ing beautiful.

Nayeon almost stumbles in her haste to get up and away from Mina lest she does something stupid.

Like grabbing her face in her hands and kissing her.

In front of their daughter, no less!

God, what is wrong with her?

“Unnie?” Mina asks, sounding concerned as she watches how Nayeon immediately busies herself with preparing ingredients that are available in the fridge. She doesn’t even know what she’s going to cook but she has to appear busy or Mina will probably question why she practically ran away.

Get it together.

Nayeon clears a few times before she finally tries, “Want anything for lunch?”

Oh, thank goodness she doesn’t stutter.

“Oh.” Mina sounds surprised and it takes her a moment to answer. “You can cook now?”

Nayeon stops retrieving pans and casseroles from their cabinets to throw Mina a glare from across the room. “I can, yes, thank you very much.”

She doesn’t dare add that she had to learn how to cook properly for Minji because Mina wasn’t there to do so. Their daughter still regularly drinks milk but she’s no longer an infant and she needs more sustenance from real food.

And ever since she’s become a mother, Nayeon has been more conscious about the food they eat in their household. Minji has to be healthy and if that means Nayeon has to become a real chef real quick, well, she’ll be one. For her daughter.

They can’t rely on home-cooked meals from Jeongyeon, Momo, and Jihyo all the time.

“Mommy good cook!” Minji comments, bouncing a little on her knees as she looks between Mina and Nayeon. “Mommy, put ketchup pwease.”

Nayeon can’t help but chuckle, her inner turmoil easing a little at her daughter’s eager request. “You don’t even know what I’m going to cook yet, sweetie.”

Minji shakes her head. “Ketchup good for everything!”

This time, Mina joins in. “Yes, ketchup is good with everything.”

The two share a glance before they giggle at each other’s similar statements.

Nayeon says ‘okay’ despite shaking her head.

Even if Nayeon decides to cook a meal full of vegetables, she knows Mina and Minji will inevitably put ketchup on it in the end, anyway.

Deep in thought, Nayeon doesn’t see Mina stand up from the floor as well to join her in the kitchen. She only notices her presence when she’s literally behind Nayeon.

And Nayeon being herself trips on nothing because of Mina’s quiet, “Need any help, unnie?”

Nayeon already knows she’s going to hit the edge of the counter and bruise herself in the process, but none of those things actually happen because Mina readily steadies her and Nayeon swears she needs to stop falling for Mina.

Literally.

“You okay, Nayeonnie?”

With her back pressed against Mina’s front, Nayeon can’t quite see the expression on Mina’s face—although if she has to guess, it might be concern—but she also doesn’t miss the way Mina gently but firmly holds onto her waist to keep her steady on her feet.

And with such a position, Nayeon can practically feel the softness of Mina’s chest against her back, the strength behind Mina’s broad shoulders, and her quiet breaths against Nayeon’s ear.

Her ear, which is one of Nayeon’s sensitive spots. ing hell.

Nayeon involuntarily shivers and she feels heat creep up her cheeks at the sudden realization of their position. And of how many times they’ve found themselves in this exact same situation in the past.

“I bet you’ll be more appetizing than whatever we’re preparing, Nayeonnie.”

“Can’t I just have you instead?”

“Behave, unnie, and I might just reward you later.”

The door to their apartment suddenly swings open and in comes Sana and Dahyun who both exclaim, “We’re here!” making Nayeon and Mina spring apart as if electrocuted.

Thankfully, the duo doesn’t immediately notice Mina and Nayeon in the kitchen, too focused on greeting their goddaughter first and it’s only after a minute or two before they finally look in their direction.

“Why are you both blushing?” Sana wonders out loud.

Suffice to say that Mina can apparently run faster than a penguin and Nayeon has never chopped garlic as fast as she does at that moment.

 

 

 

 

Sana and Dahyun’s surprise presence in the Ims’ apartment is both a good and a bad thing.

Good because there are two other people who are now entertaining Minji as Mina and Nayeon work. And with Sana being Minji’s favorite human—now only third after Nayeon and Mina, as per Nayeon’s own ranking—she doesn’t even bother with asking her mama random questions at regular intervals.

Bad because Sana and Dahyun (but mostly Sana) won’t stop giving Mina and Nayeon sly looks whenever they get the chance.

Having been caught blushing like two teenagers secretly making out doesn’t help their case.

God, what was Mina even thinking when she s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter