Chapter One

paste you to the pages of my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her daughter is starting to look like Mina.

It’s the first thing that comes to Nayeon’s mind as she stares at her daughter’s sleeping features.

Growing up, Minji seemingly inherited Nayeon’s features—from the chubby cheeks to the confidence—but as years went by, Nayeon’s starting to notice the moles scattered across her daughter’s face like constellations and the gummy smile that is so uniquely Mina.

It’s worrying.

Especially after hearing the news earlier that day.

“Minji’s going to melt if you keep staring at her like that.”

Nayeon rolls her eyes at Jeongyeon’s remark but she does tear her gaze away from her child’s face to focus instead on her best friend.

They’re both leaning against the doorjamb of Minji’s bedroom and Nayeon fights the urge to smack her friend for obviously trying to imitate her actions.

Nayeon’s been doing that a lot lately—resisting her urges. Oh, look at what motherhood did to her.

“Yah, why are you even still here?” she asks in a low voice, not wanting to wake her daughter up. Minji, after all, is a light sleeper. Like her other mother.

Jeongyeon shrugs as she moves away from the doorway to probably steal some more snacks from Nayeon’s pantry, and Nayeon gives her sleeping daughter one last look before following her friend.

She makes it halfway through the kitchen before throwing a crayon at Jeongyeon’s back to stop her from stealing another one of Nayeon’s chips.

Jeongyeon whirls around and she stalks towards her best friend with a frown. “Did you just throw a damn crayon at me?”

“Language!” Nayeon hisses, automatically looking over her shoulder to check if Minji’s anywhere near even though she’s fast asleep. Not that Nayeon’s subconscious cares; it’s too used to checking after Minji’s welfare after all. “How many times do I have to tell you to keep your potty mouth clean when you’re in my apartment?”

Jeongyeon huffs but she doesn’t say anything as she goes to the fridge and steals another one of Nayeon’s Sunkist.

“Seriously, Jeong? Stop stealing our groceries!” Nayeon says as she stalks towards her friend and grabs the Sunkist from her hand. “This is Minji’s drink for her first day at kindergarten tomorrow!”

At hearing her goddaughter’s name, Jeongyeon halts from stealing back her stolen juice. “Huh, it’s her first day at school tomorrow?”

Nayeon nods, returning the Sunkist to its rightful place—which is in the fridge—before grabbing Jeongyeon’s hand and dragging her to the living room to stop her from stealing the Ims’ groceries again.

“She’s old enough to go to school?” is the first thing that comes out of Jeongyeon’s mouth when they finally settle down on the couch.

Nayeon flicks her best friend’s forehead and she automatically dodges the slap that Jeongyeon aims to deliver to her arm. “She is, paboya. Have you seriously forgotten? Weren’t you there when everyone said they’re going to pick up Minji and drop her off at school like some royalty?”

Recognition dawns on Jeongyeon’s face and she can barely contain her laughter as she says, “Right. Didn’t Momoring say that she’s going to rent a limo?”

Nayeon nods, chuckling at the memory of the day when her friends learned that Minji is going to kindergarten already. “I doubt that she found an actual limo, but hey, at least I know I don’t have to worry about traffic.”

“You’re not worried, are you?”

The sudden seriousness in Jeongyeon’s question catches Nayeon off-guard. Her best friend is rarely serious when they’re together, and so even after decades of knowing each other, Nayeon can still get surprised at her friend’s sincerity.

“Of course I am,” Nayeon eventually answers, eyes staring into space. “I’m her mother. I think it’s pretty ingrained in a parent to worry about their child. But, I raised Minji to be a strong, independent lady, and I know Jihyo won’t let anything happen to her under her watch.”

“Nice speech,” Jeongyeon comments, “but I wasn’t talking about Minji going off to school. I was talking about her return to Korea. She’s back, Nayeonnie.”

Ah. No wonder Jeongyeon sounded so serious.

Well, now, that is different.

And in all honesty, Nayeon isn’t even sure what she feels knowing that she and Mina are now in the same land once again.

It’s been almost five years since Mina went home to Japan and learning that she’s returned to Korea for some reason unknown to Nayeon is worrying.

Especially with Minji looking more and more like her other mother.

And it seems that it’s not only Nayeon who has noticed the change in her daughter’s features.

“I’m just asking because Minji is starting to look like her, and with that kind of visual evidence, it’ll be hard to deny that Mina isn’t part of Minji’s DNA.”

Nayeon’s voice is quiet as she says, “So, you noticed it too, huh?”

Jeongyeon nods. “Hard not to. Their moles are practically identical. I don’t know how the hell that’s possible but Minji is like a mini-Mina now at this point.”

“Language,” Nayeon scolds even though her heart isn’t in it. Realizing that Minji is starting to look like Mina is one thing but talking about it with her best friend is another.

It makes it more… real.

Jeongyeon only looks at her with something akin to sympathy. Nayeon hates it. Hates the fact that she has to worry about her daughter’s first day of school and her ex’s return.

Can’t she deal with things one at a time, please?

“Are you sure about your decision?”

The question isn’t judgmental, just curious, and Nayeon has to heave out a heavy breath before replying, “She can’t know.”

“And if she finds out? What then?”

“I’ll cross the bridge when I get there.”

“Nayeon-ah.”

Nayeon’s voice is stern. She may be unsure of what she feels knowing that Mina is back in Korea, but of this, she is certain—Mina can never know. “I didn’t hide my pregnancy from Mina just so I can tell her that we have a daughter together five years later. Minji is my life.”

Jeongyeon purses her lips, and she looks as though she’s carefully choosing her next words. “We both know she won’t take Minji from you.”

That makes Nayeon scoff. Yeah, right. “You don’t know that.”

“I know Mitang.”

Nayeon can’t resist the urge to let out a bitter laugh. “I thought I did too, but she left me. So, really, just how well do we know her, huh, Jeong?”

Her best friend doesn’t answer but Nayeon doesn’t need her to.

They both know that this conversation is over. For now.

But that’s alright.

For now, Nayeon can focus on worrying about Minji’s snacks and lunch and what kind of hairstyle she should wear to school.

For now, Nayeon is simply a single mom who’s both excited and worried about her daughter’s first day of kindergarten.

For now, Nayeon isn’t the woman that Mina stood up on their wedding day.

For now, she’s just Im Nayeon, mother of Im Minji.

And Nayeon is totally fine with that.

 

 

 

 

“Im Minji, come back here, young lady!”

“Mommy, I said no awready!”

“Already!” Nayeon automatically corrects even as she continues running after her daughter who is refusing to take a bath. “You need to pronounce your L’s properly, miss!”

Minji’s huffing can be heard in their apartment and while Nayeon loves her daughter dearly, she’s tired of running around their place. It’s not even seven in the morning and Nayeon’s already sweating!

That’s it.

“Minji, no ketchup for you for one week if you don’t take a bath!”

That effectively stops Minji from running around the kitchen island again. “What!”

“Don’t ‘what’ me, miss. Where did you even learn to answer like that?”

“Minji, my baby!”

The familiar exclamation catches both of the Ims’ attention and before Nayeon can even prepare herself for the inevitable chaos that comes with that greeting, her daughter is already running towards the one who greeted her.

“Auntie Sana!”

Sana is already kneeling by the doorway with her arms wide open and Minji readily barrels towards her favorite aunt’s arms.

Momo, Jihyo, and Dahyun are right behind Sana and the three of them all flock together to give kisses and hugs to Minji—who is giggling and enjoying all the attention and affection from her godmothers.

She’s Nayeon’s daughter, alright.

“Aunties!”

“How is our baby Minji? Are you ready for school?” Jihyo asks with a huge grin. As the vice-principal of Minji’s school, Jihyo is equal parts thrilled and proud that her goddaughter had no problem acing their school’s entrance exam.

Minji’s answer is as enthusiastic as her bouncing in Sana’s arms. “I am, I am!”

“That’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter