EXPOSITION — 3

Denouement

November 2022 — 20:01

"Where are you going, Karina?" Yoona, Karina's manager, asked. She saw the idol linking arms with her best friend. Everyone with eyes can see the cute difference in their height. 

"Can I take her to dinner, Ate?" Tanong ni Winter at ngumiti. Hindi pa rin sya nakakapagpalit ng casual clothes dahil kanina pa nakayakap sakanya si Karina. 

"How could say no to you when you're in your uniform?" Yoona flirted and pinched Winter's cheeks. Agad namang gumitna sakanila si karina at  tinaasan ng kilay ang manager nya. Many people, especially girls, have always complimented Winter in her uniform. 

"Too close, Ate," sabi nito att hinigit sa likod nya si Winter.

"Hindi ko 'yan aagawin sayo. Ang bata bata pa, jusko!" Umalis na si Yoona at umiling iling pa. 

"Ikaw ha. Crush mo siguro ako," Winter teased and held her best friend's hand. Karina blushed but tried to hide it. She can't deny the fact that she did have some sort of crush with Captain Kim.  Maybe it is the uniform, or maybe it's because they have known each other for so long. 

"No, kaya. But you do look good in your uniform," Winter chuckled and opened the door for Karina. Camera flashes welcomed them. 

"," Karina muttered and held Winter's hand tighter. It's not new with the press, her and Winter. There are rumors circulating that they are dating, which of course, is not true. And naturally Karina denied the rumors.

"Hey, it's okay. Malapit na rin naman tayo sa car," bulong ni Winter. 

"Karina! Are you dating with Captain Kim?" 

"When did you come home, Captain?" 

"Are you two dating?" 

Winter stopped on her tracks.

"It's been a year since we last saw each other, dear reporters. So I would very much appreciate it if you give this day to us." Winter dragged the older girl gently. She opened her car door and made her sit on the passenger seat.

Nakita naman ni Karina na nakatayo lamang ang mga reporters na nirerecord ang pag-alis nila. 

"How did you do that?" The sloghtly taller girl asked as she looked at Winter.  The latter maneuver her car before speeding up.

"I am good with ordering people around, Rina," sagot ni Winter at kumindat pa. 

"Eyes on the road! Stupid!" 

"Relax, Karina. Wala namang sasakyan. Ang OA mo," natatawang sabi ni Winter. 

Karina did not answer, but she looked outside her window. The night is too quiet and peaceful. 

"You were late kanina. I performed my newest song and Forever Winter," she trailed off and looked at the girl driving the car. Nakafocus lang sa unahan si Winter, pero Karina knows that the younger is listening. So, she said what she wanted.

"It is about you. I want you to be the first one to hear it, pero when I was on my way sa house mo, your sister called saying na you just left for Ukraine. It was hard to hear the news from her, and not you," sabi ni Karina at bumuntong hininga. She missed her best friend so much. Sure, they exchanged letter every month, but having Winter beside her, close to her is just different.

"I'm sorry for that. It was an urgent call, I am needed there ASAP."

"Don't talk, don't explain. Pakinggan mo muna ako, Winter." The younger girl closed and nodded her head.

"I can't deal with the thought and the possibility na once you leave, you won't come back home to me. Come back home alive." Winter decided to make a U-turn. She wants to listen to Karina more closely. Hear her thoughts, comfort her. 

"Your letters are what kept me afloat, Winter. I was afraid when your letter is delayed. Akala ko kung ano na nangyari," the younger girl stopped driving sa tuktok ng cliff na palagi nilang pinupuntahan ni Karina. Lumabas sya sa sasakyan at umikot para buksan ang pinto ni Karina. 

"Hey, come on. Let's sit beneath the tree, kagaya dati," nakangiting sabi ni Winter. The smile that gives comfort and makes everyone feel safe. 

Sumunod naman si Karina sakanya papunta sa malaking puno. 

"Can I speak now? O may ilalabas ka pa? But don't fart ha," Winter joked and chuckled. Karina playfully rolled her eyes and leaned on the tree. 

"You're still the same Winter who loves to crack corny jokes," sabi ni Karina at umiling. 

"Hindi naman ako magbabago, Karina. I will leave as Winter, and I'll come back home to you as your Winter." 

"Dumeretso ka ba sa concert ko kanina?" Winter nodded her head. 

"You should not have, Win. You deserve to rest," Karina scolded.

"You know, I like spending time with you. I like resting with you," ngumiti si Winter at sumandal sa tabi ni Karina. They watched the sky, until the sun rises up.