FALLING ACTION — 1

Denouement

January 2024 

The moon started peeking when Karina made her way inside a club. Inside, she can see a big picture of Winter Kim in her uniform, smiling brightly. She remembered that picture. She was there when they took it. She saw familiar faces drinking alcohol and chitchatting with each other.

"One diet coke, please." She ordered. It has been a year since they declared her best friend dead. People changed after that. Jaemin did not pursue the military. Chaewon has been in prison for reasons of speeding, destruction of property, and the like. Yunjin met a new girl, Kazuha. She did feel sad about Winter. Now, Karina was a drunk. She's been on hiatus after that news. 

"Speech!" Yangyang said to get everyone's attention. Karina sat on the nearest bar stool and looked at her friend.

"Now, Winter was a good friend. She helped me a lot," Yangyang choked. He is crying. It has been a year, but the pain is still fresh.

"To Winter," he raised his glass for the toast. 

"Speech?" Yunjin asked and sat beside her. Karina sipped on her Diet Coke before shaking her head.

"Can't do it." She stared into Winter's pictures and smiled sadly. 

"Hindi ko pa rin nabubuksan yung iniwan nya sakin." 

"Why not? Hindi ka ba curious?" Yunjin asked. 

"Opening that damn thing means that she is truly gone, Yunjin. And I don't think I am ready for that, I don't even think I will be ready for that." Sabi ni Karina. Yunji pat her shoulder and smiled warmly.

"I think she wants you to open it though. Hindi naman nya iiwan yun kung hindi mahalaga, right?" Yunjin stood up and bid her goodbye. 

Karina stayed there and watched her friends drink their sorrows away. 

"Kars." She looked and saw Chaewon in front of her. The girl's body is much thinner than last year. 

"What happened to you?" Nakakunot-noong tanong ni Karina. Winter won't like seeing her twin miserable. She won't like looking at her friends like this. 

"Me? Just trying to have fun, Kars. You okay?" She asked. 

"Parang ako ang dapat magtanong nyan, Chae. Where is Minju?" Karina asked and looked around. Chaewon chuckled bitterly.

"She left me. I thought you would have heard by now. Saan ka ba galing?"

"I went to rehab." Karina said. Iniiwas nya ang tingin nya kay Chaewon. She is ashamed of the fact that she went to rehab. 

"Oh really? How's rehab? Is it fun?" Chaewon asked with a blank face.

"No, Chaewon. Fix yourself," sabi ni Karina. It was bold coming from her. She did seek help from professionals to help her clean herself. It might be overstepping her boundaries pero what can she do? It hurts to see someone who loves Winter as much as her act like . 

"Really? How dare you say something so stupid, Karina?" Napatingin sakanila ang mga tao. Lumalakas na ang boses ni Chaewon.

"Winter won't like seeing you like this, Chaewon! Come on! It's been a year!" Karina hasn't moved on yet. But she keeps on moving forward, unlike Chaewon. It's maybe none of her business, but she cares enough to tell her off. 

"You don't tell me what to do with my life, Karina."

"Pero I care! She's dead, Chaewon. She's dead! You need to live your life! You owe her that." Sigaw ni Karina. Lumapit sakanila si Haechan para awatin pero hindi pa rin tumigil si Chaewon. 

"YOU DON'T ING UNDERSTAND! I LOST THE MY OTHER HALF!" Napatigil si Karina. She cleared bago tumayo.

"I should go."

"Yeah, ing go! Diyan ka naman magaling! You are such an expert in hiding and running away, aren't you?" Hindi na pinansin ni Karina ang sinabi ni Chaewon at tuluyang umalis sa bar. Pumasok sya sa kotse nya at kinuuha ang velvet box mula sa dashboard. She's been carrying it around. She opened it and saw a key with a number.

"John's Storage?" She hummed and drove to the place. Mabuti na lang at open sila 24/7.

Karina parked her car and sprint to get inside the shop. She does not know why she is doing this. Siguro dahil natauhan sya, or siguro dahil ready na sya pakawalan si Winter.

"Hey, I have this key from a year ago," Karina said and showed the key. 

"Oh! Kay Captain Kim po?" He asked at tumayo. The woman nodded her head and smiled sadly. 

Pinasunod ng lalaki sakanya si Karina. They walked until they reached the number. Iniabot sakanya ng nagbabantay ang susi at ngumiti.

"Nasa may unahan lang po ako kung may kailangan kayo," he said and left her alone. Karina reluctantly opened the lock and sighed. 

The storage room is nearly empty. There is a table in the middle, on top of it is a mixtape and a sheet of paper. 

Kinuha ni Karina ang papel at binasa.

 

To my beautiful popstar,

Listen to the mixtape before reading this letter. I love you, Rina.