— 1

Denouement

December 2022 — 20:01

"KARINAAA!!" Her fans yelled. Nasa airport sya ngayon, she just arrived from the island. Since umalis na rin naman si Winter, she has no reason to stay. Palagi rin naman nyang nakikita ang iba nilang kaibigan. So, she just flew back and maybe write some songs while she wait for Winter's arrival. It is that easy, or she makes herself think so. 

She waved her hand and smiled fakely at the cameras. She raised her hand to silence the people. 

"I have an announcement I wanted to make," she said. Murmurs and whispers began enveloping the place, but she did not make it distract her. She is announcing her new relationship status before it becomes a scandal or a rumor that is not true.

"Yeonjun and I broke up. He is a kind and warm person, however, I believe that we can shine brighter alone rather than together." Sabi ni Karina bago ngumiti. She left and got inside a taxi. 

She told the driver her address. 

"Kuya, can you turn on the radio?" Karina asked. The driver only nodded his head before doing the request. 

"This song is requested by Captain Winter Kim. For Karina Yu. How sweet!" Karina looked at the car's stereo. It's for her, right?"

"Kuya, pakilakasan naman po nung volume," she requested. She closed her eyes to feel the music. She remembers when Winter used to give her mixtapes or playlists. Winter is the reason why she pursues this career path. 

I Wish I Never Met You by Babygirl started playing. Karina felt her chest start feeling pain. Why would she request such a song?

"Grabe po, siguro sobrang nasaktan yung nagrequest ng song," sabi ng driver at umiling pa. Karina hummed. 

"Paano nyo naman po nasabi, Kuya?" Karina asked and opened her eyes. Sumasakit pa rin ang puso nya. 

"Sa sobrang sakit po kasi ng naramdaman o nararamdaman nya, hiniling nya po na sana hindi nya na po nakilala yung tao na yon." 

Gusto lang naman umuwi ni Karina, pero bakit ganito? She knew that the driver is correct. She hurt her best friend in ways she cannot imagine and does not know. Winter is in Ukraine, fighting for a country that she is not a citizen of. Winter might die, and the last memories she made were Karina ing around. 

"Nandito na po tayo, Ma'am." Karina handed him a large bill bago bumaba. She did not bother to get her change, the driver need the money more. Gusto na lang ni Karina pumasok sa bahay nya at matulog. She wants to escape the reality. 


Karina woke up because of the consecutive ringing of her doorbell. She grumpily stood up and fixed herself before running towards her door. Hindi man lang nya napansin na nakatulog na sya sa couch nya. She cleared bago silipin sa monitor kung sino ang kanina pang nanggugulo sa tulog nya. 

She saw Minju, Yunjin and Jaemin. She raised a brow bago icheck ang oras. Anong ginagawa ng mga ito sa tapat ng bahay nya ng 8 am sa umaga? She opened her door with a rasied brow.

"What can I do for you? Sobrang aga nyo ata napunta dito?" No one answered her questions. Naglakad si Jaemin papasok sa bahay ni Karina at tumingin sa dalawang babae na nasa labas pa rin.

"Come in." Seryosong sabi nito at hinila si Karina paupo sa couch nya.

"Bakit ang seryoso nyo ata? Nagtatampo ba sila na nauna na ako sa pag-uwi?" Tanong ni Karina. She even crossed her legs and arms. Why are they here? Lalo na si Minju at Yunjin na hindi naman nya masyadong kaclose. If she remembered it right, magkaaway pa sila ni Yunjin. 

"We have news to tell you, Kars."

"Papapiliin nyo ba ako kung bad news or good news muna?" Tumayo si Karina at kumuha ng wine glass. She poured wine bago bumalik sa pagkakaupo.

"Karina, ilagay mo muna yung baso mo sa lamesa. Let's talk," sabi ni Yunjin. Karina felt nervous all of a sudden. Deep down, she knew. Alam nya kung bakit nandito ang tatlo, pero ayaw nya tanggapin. So, she chuckled and shook her head.

"I am sorry. Hindi ko na kayo inalok since maaga pa, but do y'all want wine?" She smirked. Minju stood up, papunta na ito sa pinto pero tumigil ito at tumingin kay Karina.

"We're here because we received terrible news from Chaewon. Pero seeing you made me realize na you are in no condition to receive such news. So, we'll get going now, Karina." Minju said and left. Tumayo naman si Jaemin at umiling sa harap nya. She planted a small kiss on the girl's cheeks before leaving. Naiwan lang si Yunjin sa loob, nakatingin sakanya.

"You love Winter, don't you?" She asked. Nawala ang ngiti sa mukha ni Karina. She sighs and gulps her wine.

"Ano naman sayo?"

"Look, what I feel for Winter is not that kind of love. I like her, as a friend. As a sister pero nothing more." Yunjin explained. May ibinaba syang velvet box sa coffee table ni Karina bago ngumiti. She is smiling sadly.

"I really hoped na hindi darating yung araw na ibibigay ko sayo to. She loved you, Karina." The taller girl pat her arm before leaving. Winter loved her? Loved? What's with those people and their past tense? Hindi na ba sya mahal ni Winter? Is that it?

"Yunjin, wait!" Sabi ni Karina. Nakatalikod sya kay Yunjin. She does not want to look at her face or eyes. She is so ing scared of the words that may come out of the taller girl's mouth.

"Why?"

"You said loved. Hindi na nya ba ako mahal?" She asked and played with the wine in her glass.

"She died loving you."