RISING ACTION — 3

Denouement

December 2022 — 10:15

Winter is awake since 6 in the morning. She took her morning jog by the beach, appreciating the rising sun. Umupo sya sa may shore after nya magjogging and exercise. The sun is not that hot against her skin.

 "Win, can we talk?" She looked up and saw her best friend, Karina, looking at her with a shy smile. 

"Sure. Come and sit beside me." The younger said. She took off her shirt. Inilagay nya yon sa baba para upuan ni Karina. 

"Sorry about last night. I just felt so threatened," she admitted. Winter creased her forehead.

"Why would you feel like that, Rina? You would always be my best friend. Yunjin is a new friend," and Winter hopes they could be more. She hopes she can finally set herself free from the feelings she developed for Karina. 

"Yeah. I don't like Yunjin," Winter raised a brow. Because Yunjin is such a sweetheart. So dorky. She felt an immediate connection with the tall girl, so she does not understand why Karina does not like her.

"Why not? I like her. She is so fun." Sabi ni Winter, her lips are tugged upwards. She is smiling vibrantly. 

"Because I don't recognize my best friend anymore." Napatawa si Winter. 

"I like your boyfriend. He is so well-mannered, and I think he can handle you," pag-iiba ng topic ni Winter. Pag-uusapin din naman nila sooner or later ang kasintahan ni Karina. Bakit hindi pa ngayon?

"Good. I'll introduce him to you mamaya." Winter shrugged.

"Let's enjoy this vacay, love." Sabi ni Winter at tumayo. She offered her hand and smiled. The smile that she only shows Karina.

"I love you, Win." 

"And I love you too, Rina." But they don't know that those words are worth more than they think. It conveys the feelings they are suppressing for many years now. 

They walked inside the beach house with their hands intertwined. Pumunta na rin sila sa kitchen para magprepare ng breakfast. It was always the two of them. 

"Winwin! I've prepared the batter na." Or so, Karina thought. Yunjin is smiling at them, her cheeks dirty from the batter she is mixing. Napakunot ng noo si Karina. Making breakfast during their group getaway is their thing. Karina's and Winter's, hindi kasama si Yunjin. So why the hell is a tall girl, taller than her, doing, standing across them? 

"Thank you so much, Jinjin! Let's get this bread," tumawa silang dalawa, habang nakatingin lang si Karina. She knew how Winter likes to make puns, but she never ever did find it funny. Karina cleared and mustered a fake smile.

"How about we make cooking fun? You and I will both cook our pancakes and let Winter taste them. The more delicious one will be served for the whole gang," sabi ni Karina at itinuro pa si Yunjin. 

The giraffe-like girl looked at the shortest one in the room and shrugged.

"Sure, but this will be my first time cooking, so bear with me, Winwin." 

"Karina is no better. You two might impress me kapag hindi sunod pinakain nyo sakin," sabi ni Winter at umupo sa stool. Lumapit si Karina sa part ni Yunjin at tumabi. 

Winter hummed while watching the two cook. 

"What are you humming?" Yunjin asked while tasting the batter she made. She hummed in delight. 

"It's Baliw by SUD," sagot naman ni Winter.

"Winter is a great singer," sabi bigla ni Karina at ngumiti nang nakakaasar. 

"She always beat me sa mga karaoke machines, even sa mga singing contests. But she never pursue the field, she said na it's just a habit." Yunjin shrugged.

"Singing can be a habit. Besides, Winter is a great asset for Marines. She has very good leadership skills."

"I thought she was going to be a Doctor like her twin sister, though." The subject of their talk is busy humming to herself. It is not a new scenario. Karina is always so competitive about her.

"You should add something healthy in your batter. She needs it," Karina added and put a smashed banana sa batter nya. Yunjin shook her head and put chocolate.

"It is okay to eat something unhealthy paminsan-minsan, Karina." Sabi nito at naglagay ng isang scoop ng batter sa pan. She flipped it after seeinng the golden brown color. 

"That looks delicious, Jinjin. Bilisan mo, I can't wait to taste that pancake!" Winter excitedly said. Karina rolled her eyes before cooking the pancake that she made. After a few minutes, they served the food. May mga syrup and whipped cream, and everything. Tahimik lang nilang pinanood kumain si Winter. She finished both of the pancakes they prepared with a stern look. Karina held her hand together in nervousness. She wants to beat the know-it-all Yunjin. The girl stealing her best friend away from her. 

"Let me cook for the whole gorup, yes? You two should bond," sabi ni Winter at ngumiti. She stood up at pumunta sa likod ng dalawa bago maarahang itulak papunta sa mga upuan. 

"Whose pancakes taste better?" Tanong ni Karina. Tumango naman si Yunjin, indicating that she wants to know too. 

"Parehas namang masarap. Kaya I can't choose!" Winter saw Karina's expression brightened.

She lied. Of course, she did. She does not have the heart to tell her best friend that the person she feels threatened with, made a better pancake than her. She is not a monster to hurt their feelings over some childish banter.