Chapter 8

In another lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as everyone is sleeping and the house quiet, Seulgi finally grabs the necklace and leaves. She hops on Bear and goes as fast as she can. Her day was always perfect, there’s only one thing missing, and it’s her.

She wishes she was a man, who could introduce Irene to her family without any problem. Her mother would congratulate the both of them and their father approve the choice. Unfortunately, she’s not. So, she’s stuck.

She arrives in front of the house after a few minutes. She was about to go to the back of it to find Irene but stops because she hears screams and loud noises. What’s happening? It sounds like a fight, but not a small one. Seulgi approaches the door hoping down for her horse and carefully put her ear against the door. What if Irene is in danger, what will she do?

“I told you it’ll be that way, what did you think when you entered this property?” she hears Irene shouting, in a threatening way.

Then no noises for a good minute. It’s enough for Seulgi, she’s too curious about what happened, Irene might be in danger right now even if it didn’t sound like it.

Seulgi bursts the door opened, and as soon as she did, she wish she didn’t.

She needs a few seconds to realize what’s happening. She suddenly starts to sweat; her heart beats so fast she might die. She’s terrified.

In front of her, blood everywhere, Irene is biting someone to death. Seulgi realizes that it’s worse, she’s drinking his blood. She’s so into it that she doesn’t notice Seulgi’s intrusion. Tears spilling from her eyes, mouth wide open, shock visible on her face while she stands there, not saying anything, as if she’s stuck.

Enjoying her ‘meal’ Irene finally turns her head towards the unwanted guest. She looks at Seulgi but doesn’t say anything either for a full minute.

“Seulgi…” Irene’s eyes threaten to spill tears. She saw how Seulgi is looking at her right now. No adoration, no love, everything is gone. She knows she made the worst mistake. She shouldn’t have been careless; she knew the girl wanted to surprise her; she should have been careful.

“Seulgi I can explain.”

Seulgi just turns and walks back toward the door. Irene knows she can’t let her leave like that, let apart her envy of crying in her arms, she can’t let a human leave like that, after witnessing this kind of scene.

She gets up fast and grabs her arm, before closing the door. Seulgi still has no reactions. “Please follow me, and don’t be scared, I’m still the Irene you know.”

She has to literally drag her, still being in state of shock she cannot even walk by herself.

Irene knows she had to be fast, it would be much more difficult if anyone was also here, they would not let Seulgi get away with it easily.

She brings her underground, in an isolated room and goes inside. She locks the door and helps the girl to sit.

“Seulgi do you hear me?” no answers, she isn’t even looking at her.

Irene goes closer to Seulgi, and when she’s 2 meters away, Seulgi crawls backward, as if she suddenly got her mind back.

“Don’t come near me.” she finally says with a trembling voice. Irene sees her putting her arms in front of her face and trembling.

“Seulgi please, I won’t hurt you, don’t be scared.”

“How can you say that when I just saw you killing that man.”

“There is an explanation.”

“Really you think something can justify what I just saw?” Seulgi laughs like a crazy woman.

It scares Irene, did she really lose her for good?

“Please Seulgi, listen to m-”

“No get me out of here.”

“Let me explain!”

“I don’t know why you would do that, but you’re really crazy! Now let me go!”

“Seulgi I’m a vampire!” she half shouts of desperation while blocking the door.

“Cut the bull!”

The only option left for Irene is to show Seulgi her special physical features. Suddenly her eyes turn to a red color, fangs growing. The woman heard about them, as a legend used to scare the children.

She gulps hard.

Seulgi just looks at her, she doesn’t know what to say. What is there to say even? That Irene lied to her? She can’t believe she never noticed something like that. The worst thing is not that she discovers that vampires exist, but that Irene is one of them, murdering people.

Vampires were always a fantasy, sure she heard rumors, and some always said they witnessed a crime committed by one. But she would have never thought that it was real.

“I’m going to be honest with you now. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier but understand me please, this is not something I can share.” she pauses to see if Seulgi has something to say. It just seems that she still wants to leave and get to the door, but she’s too scared of Irene. “We all are vampires, me, Joy, Sehun and my father. If I want to be totally honest with you, we’re not related by blood, we are presenting ourselves that way to be integrated in society.” still nothing. “Seulgi please, tell me something. I’m risking my life by telling you all of that.” once again silence. Irene goes and try to grab Seulgi’s hands, without success. “Please I don’t want to lose you.” she sobs.

“You think I believe you? You just proved to me you’re a vampire. How am I different from your victims? How different am I from this man upstairs? How many people have you killed? How many families have you destroyed?”

Irene tears are falling harder and harder, every word is like a stab.

“Seulgi, this man and my family we have problems, I don’t kill people like that!”

“You expect me to believe you again?”

“Seulgi pleas-”

“Get the away from me! Are you faking it from the beginning just to kill me in the end?”

It’s too much for Irene, she walks towards Seulgi and hugs her. She hugs her so tightly that the other woman cannot go away. After a few minutes, Seulgi stops trying to free herself from her grip. They both cry, in each other arms, knowing this is probably the last time they will feel the other like that.

Irene the feels Seulgi fingers on . After a few seconds the other woman speaks.

“You have no pulse.”

Irene hesitates before answering.

“I’m not alive anymore.” she pauses. “Everything I feel for you is real. Please don’t think that I lied to you.”

Seulgi doesn’t say anything for a few seconds. She only hears her sighs. “Now let me leave this house.”

“Seul-”

“No don’t try to defend yourself just let me go. I won’t tell anything to anyone, don’t worry.” she spats. “You better buy the land fast, so I can leave far from you. I honestly regret everything we shared.” Seulgi then puts her hand in her pocket and throws the necklace on the floor. “Here, I bought it for you after all.”

Seulgi goes out of the house as fast as possible, walking past the dead body on her way. She’s crushed. It feels like she got stabbed a hundred times. She doesn’t even know how she’s breathing now.

Irene on the other hand just watches Seulgi leaving, her tears still falling. Accepting the fact that she just lost her. Because of something she didn’t choose.

So, she goes back to her room after cleaning the living room. It’s the only thing she can do. Humans always react like that. She should have known this, and she should have never gotten close to her.

 

When Irene goes in town the next day after a very difficult night, she hears rumors. Rumors saying that the wedding between Lord Kang daughter’s and her suitor is going to happen sooner than expected. Apparently, Seulgi’s father judged that they had enough time to get feelings and fall in love with each other. She heard that they are finally ready. Everyone is cheering, happy for the down to earth girl they all love. Some are even planning to buy her a gift.

Irene decides to ignore everyone. She doesn’t care if they think she’s rude, cold or anything like that. She can’t bear the truth, which is that she’s completely out of Seulgi’s life. She didn’t even wait 24 hours to throw it in her face. It’s not even lunch time and the news are already in everyone’s mouth.

She finally arrives at the school; she came here to see Yerim after all. Seulgi would probably kill her if she knew.

“Miss Irene!”

“Yerim!” she’s the only person that can make Irene smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter