Chapter 6

In another lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They continue for two weeks. Seulgi splitting her time between Junmyeon and Irene. She really grew closer to the woman, going to visit her as often as she can. Of course, she’s not that free, she also has to see Yerim and sometimes her father would block her from going out. But as soon as she felt down, Irene was always there to cheer her up. On a regular Tuesday, Seulgi finds herself in front of their guest’s house. She went there as fast as she could after she finished eating. She promised Irene that she would be her guide, because the latter found a place, but even though she managed to make time for her, it was never enough to leave the house or go somewhere farther. She knocks and Sehun opens the door.

“Hi Seulgi! What bring you here?”

“I promised Irene I would come. So here I am.”

She told her father she’d show the surroundings to them. It’s partially true but not totally.

“Okay, come in, I’ll call her.”

Seulgi comes in, and 2 minutes after, she sees an elegant Irene, going down the stairs.

“I finally have enough time for you to bring me to that place!”

“Hello to you too Seulgi, and finally it’s been two weeks!”

“Hello.” she chuckles. “The spot you found is in nature I guess?”

Irene nods. “Hello to you too Seulgi.”

“Maybe you should change to something more comfortable.” she laughs.

“Hey, it’s not because I’m wearing a dress that I’m going to be useless or something.”

“We’ll see!” she teases. “Ready to go?” she asks as she bows down ironically.

“Stop it! Let’s go.” she answers as she starts dragging Seulgi by the collar. The latter chose to wear simple pants and top. “It’s a bit far from here by the way.”

“How far?”

“Maybe 40 minutes by horse riding?”

“But I didn’t bring my horse! And how did you find a place that far.”

“I like to get lost. Just hop on mine.”

“Okay weirdo.”

“Hey, do you want to run behind the horse?”

“No, I didn’t say anything.”

“Tss.”

They’re both sited on the horse. It was difficult because Irene wanted to control it, but her dress was so big. In the end Seulgi is still behind Irene but they took 5 minutes to find a good way for her dress to be still.

“By the way, when did you learn sculpting? I forgot to ask you.”

“You’re referring to that day you were sculpting? A few years ago, but I’m bad at it now. Haven’t practiced in a long time.”

“Yes and I still have to thank you because in the end it looked like a masterpiece.”

“You’re really confident. I bet I can beat you at it.”

“Probably.” she chuckles.

Suddenly the horse speeds up, making Seulgi holds Irene’s waist tighter. Irene’s going to kill both of them at this rate.

“Do you really know how to ride a horse?”

“Yes why?”

“This is a bit dangerous.”

“My offer about you running behind still stands.”

“Okay no thanks.”

They arrive and they can’t be more lost in the forest than they are right now.

“I’m seriously concerned about you. Why do you get lost in the forest?”

“I told you I like nature.”

“Yes, but it can be dangerous.”

“Don’t worry.” She then points at what seems like an old enormous church.

“This is the place.”

“It’s creepy, I didn’t know that existed.”

“So, you can’t be a useful guide.”

“I’m afraid not.”

“Okay, it’s a shame. Let’s go inside.”

“What do you mean let’s go inside?”

“Are you scared?”

“No but let’s watch it from afar.”

Irene laughs. “Come on Seulgi, there’s no one inside.”

“…”

“Okay if you don’t want to come, I’m going alone!” she says as she starts walking towards the building.

“No wait, don’t go alone.”

Irene senses that Seulgi’s really scared so she grabs her hand.

“You’re with me so you’ll be okay. I’ll protect you.” she tries to reassure her.

Seulgi looks at her and they stare at each other for at least 10 seconds.

“I’ll go with you, but only because I don’t want you to be alone. Plus, I’ll be surprised if you can even beat me.”

“You’ll be surprised then.”

She drags Seulgi and they start to search for a way in.

“I don’t trust that door.” Seulgi says.

“I don’t either but guess we don’t have any choice. Unless you want to climb the wall?”

“No, it’s okay.”

Even if the church is old and abandoned, the building is still in pretty good condition, there’s no big hole or things like that.

Irene pushes delicately the door, and it opens not without any scary sounds though.

“I still think it’s a bad idea.”

“Come on!”

They stroll around and Irene tries to scare Seulgi.

“BAH!!”

“AHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

Irene explodes in laughter while Seulgi just had the scare of her life.

“Come on Irene, you know I’m already scared!” she complains.

“Yes, I’m sorry, come here.” she takes Seulgi hand once again. “Don’t you think this place is pretty?” she says as they enter what seem to be the main room. There are some decorations and drawings on the walls. Everything about the Bible.

“It is but it’s still creepy.”

Irene insists that they should sit on the benches.

“It’s peaceful.”

“Not really.”

“You’re such a scaredy cat.” she rolls her eyes at her. “You should pray for something while we’re here.”

“I’m not one to pray usually.”

“Me neither, but maybe we should for once.”

“I wish I wasn’t forced to marry someone.” she goes first.

“I wish Seulgi wasn’t forced to marry someone.”

“Is your prayer really going to be that?” she chuckles.

“Yes, why not?”

“I wish Irene will stay happy forever.”

“Don’t change your prayer.”

“If you pray for me, why can’t I pray for you.” she says her hands joined together, as to call the gods.

“You’re so lame.”

“I think I’m cute.”

“That too.” she pinches her cheek.

“Hey! I’m not a child.”

“I know, I know.” she chuckles.

They stay a bit longer in silence. Both really praying for the other in their heads.

They decide to continue and explore the church for at least 30 minutes, Irene’s hand in Seulgi’s. The latter pulse doesn’t slow down for the whole time. Not knowing if it’s because of the woman or the place. Maybe both.

They find a long corridor where the priests and nuns must have lived. Irene picks up an old book. Seulgi warns her that the book might be haunted. Of course, Irene laughed out loud. They also find pictures of families. Seulgi takes one.

“Do you think they are happy?”

“Maybe, they are smiling.”

“Smiling doesn’t mean being happy.”

“I know but I just feel like they are. The way they look at the child.”

“Do you want to have children?”

“I don’t think so, this world is too dangerous. If it wasn’t I would have liked though. You?”

“I want, but with the right person.”

“So not that suitor of yours?”

“Yes, but if I get married to him, I’m afraid I’ll have to. By the way you still don’t know his name?”

Irene frowns. “I know his name; I just don’t like to pronounce it. I don’t like him very much.”

“I figured.” she laughs.

They continue to explore together.

“No Irene I’m not going in there!”

“Come on!”

They’re fighting because Irene somehow found a way underground, and it’s too much for Seulgi. She already entered the place, it’s enough!

“You’re trying to kill me!”

“No! It’s just fun-“

A noise can suddenly be heard, coming from the underground way. Like someone is screaming. Seulgi doesn’t think twice, she grabs Irene and runs. She doesn’t care if she’ll be angry after, this is too dangerous. She runs like she never did before and finally they are out of the church. She helps Irene, she can’t climb on the horse alone because of her dress, and hops in front of her. The latter doesn’t complain, maybe because she sees that Seulgi is really scared. She makes the horse run and only stops when they are far from that place. The whole ride she felt Irene’s breathe on her neck an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter