Chapter 4

In another lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi is really wondering if they have other clothes than these ones. She doesn’t know if it’s actually the same or not, but this family always seem to be wearing black. Maybe they just love the color.

“You came!” she exclaims when she sees them in the living room, after the maid opened the door for them.

“Of course we did.” Joy answers. “Still no news?”

“I got told that he is resting at the doctors. And that he’s doing well.”

“That’s a relief.” she sighs. “We’ll inform father about it.”

When Joy steps forward, Seulgi sees Irene standing behind her.

So she came.

“Would you like to drink something.” she asks.

“Oh it’s nice but we just had tea.” says Sehun.

“I see, what do you think about visiting the gardens? If I’m not wrong my father didn’t have time to show them to you last time, right?”

“Right.” This time Irene answers. They all nod after.

Seulgi smiles softly. “Then? let’s go?”

They all agree on which garden part they should visit first. Their gardens are enormous. Seulgi never knew why, but it made her so happy as a child. She spent her whole days running and getting lost in them. Nowadays, they only go to the main one, circling the mansion so it’s also going to be a visit for her.

Once outside she starts to guide them and tells them story of her childhood. The weather is cloudy, it’s threatening to rain at any minute, but that doesn’t bother her guests. They seem to like this weather.

“Ha! That’s where I almost broke my arm, I decided to climb on the tree but I fell.”

“You weren’t good at climbing?” Joy asks while chuckling.

“I was good! Actually every time I saw a tree or something high, I had to climb on it.”

The visit continues for at least 1 hour, Sehun and Joy interact with her, and Irene follows them. Seulgi doesn’t know if she listens to her story or just enjoys the view. She let Sehun and Joy go ahead and decides to walk next to Irene.

“Do you like it?” she asks first.

“The garden?”

“Yeah what else?”

Irene scoffs. “Yes, I like nature, so I like it.”

Seulgi hums. “What were you think about?”

“That I would’ve liked to live a childhood in this garden.”

“Liking sleeping in the woods and showering with the beasts?”

Irene hits her playfully.

“No dummy, liking playing here. It must have been nice.” she half whispers.

“It was.”

Seulgi thinks that after all, she could be friend with Irene, little by little she’s showing to Seulgi that she’s not just a rude woman like she thought at the beginning. Of course she’s rude too, but not only. That’s not her sole personality trait.

“Hey Irene?”

“Still first name huh?”

“Shut up, we might as well get familiar with it. Do you want me to call you Miss Irene?”

“No Irene is good.” she chuckles.

“So Irene, why do you pretend to be a when you’re not?”

“Because I am a .”

“Are you deaf too or?”

“No, it’s just my personality, I’m like that.”

“I doubt it. When you want you can be nice to me.” she removes a bug from Irene’s coat as she says it.

Irene just smiles and continues to walk.

“We lost them.” Seulgi notices as they can’t see Irene’s siblings anywhere.

Irene looks around and nods.

“Hey there is this secret spot next to a lake, want to see it?”

And for the first time, Seulgi might have seen a real part of Irene. She looks like an excited child.

“Yes!”

“Okay this way, follow me.”

They walk in the woods and reach it after 10 minutes of walk. In front of them, stands a beautiful small pound, circled by various type of flower. There’s even a small waterfall, falling graciously in the water.

“It’s beautiful.” Irene says.

“It is. Let’s sit down for a bit.”

They sit on a rock, facing the view.

“I used to come here every day; it was my secret spot. Nobody except Seungwan knows the existence of it.”

“I’m honored then.”

“You can be.”

“When is the last time you came here?”

“I don’t know, maybe 4 or 5 years ago.”

“Why that much?”

“I have no idea. I guess I forgot about it.”

Irene hums. “That’s a shame.”

They stay like that, in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Within these minutes, Seulgi’s able to forget all the problems she has: her father, her suitor... She just feels at peace. Maybe Irene is right, it’s a shame, she should have come in the past few years. After more minutes she starts to feel tired. Her head falls unconsciously on Irene’s shoulders as she falls into dream land.

When she wakes up, she doesn’t immediately understand where she is. She then realizes she’s with a human, and her head is on that person’s shoulder. She panics and straighten her head.

She notices it’s Irene. She’s awake and staring at her.

“Hi.”

“I’m sorry I fell asleep. I-I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s okay don’t worry.”

Seulgi then notices that she’s holding Irene’s hand. She looks at their joined hand and take

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter