Dating

My Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun’s House

 

Haeun rolled her eyes when she walked into her house to find Sunggyu sitting on the couch next to her father, holding soup in his hand, obviously trying to feed her father. Panicked, Woohyun rose from the sofa when he saw his girl; her facial expression said it all; she didn’t like what she saw. Not that he was shocked or expected anything more; his daughter was very honest about her feelings toward Sunggyu. And honestly, he couldn’t blame her.

 

“Haeun, you’re back.” Woohyun hugged his girl, but she stood still, staring at Sunggyu, now standing with arms crossed. “Did you eat?”

“Hmm, Suzy’s mother bought us pizza on our way home.”

Woohyun took her backpack from her, “And how was school?”

Haeun glared at Sunggyu, then smiled at her father, “Good, are you feeling better, Appa?”

“Hmm, I was going to return to work, but Sunggyu stopped me.”

“Why?” That question was for Sunggyu. A challenging tone, as if why are you interfering in my father’s life?

“To take care of your Appa because no one knows him better than me.”

“Don’t you have work to do today?” Sunggyu’s mouth gapped at that. “Ahh~~, will you be a nurse in your next drama? Is that why you’re playing hospital in my house?” Haeun ended it with a smirk, “I guess even a superstar like yourself needs a workshop, Sunggyu samchon.”

“You little-” Sunggyu swallowed back what he would say for Woohyun’s sake; he promised to be good to her, “A male is called a brother, not a nurse, Haeun.”

“I know.” Haeun held back her laugh; she successfully managed to piss Sunggyu off, “You can go home now; we don't need you.”

“Haeun, that’s not nice; Sunggyu samchon is staying over.”

“Why!”

“Because it’s late and he’s been looking after me all day, the least I could do is offer him a bed.”

“We don’t have extra beds!”

“Then I’ll share Woohyun’s bed.”

“Sunggyu!”

Haeun ignored Sunggyu’s comment about sleeping with her dad in the same bed. “Ugh, it’s only passed 5; go home! What are you, a kid!”

“Haeun!”

Haeun didn’t want to upset her father; despite everything, Sunggyu got one thing right: he knew her father best, and her father wanted him around if it weren’t for her. She can see it in her father’s eyes.

Without another word, Haeun walked upstairs to change because if she stayed for another minute, she wouldn’t hold back, and Sunggyu would yell at her.

“Hey~~,” Sunggyu noticed how down Woohyun looked after what happened between him and Haeun, “It’s okay; she’s just a little girl.”

“I don’t think she’ll ever accept us.”

Sunggyu hugged Woohyun back, resting his chin on his shoulder, “I’m sorry; I’ll try harder; it’s just that I’m used to arguing with her.”

“Very encouraging.”

“Hey~~, I’m kidding.”

“That is my kid Sunggyu.”

“Hyun~~, babe~~, how about this” Sunggyu turned Woohyun to look at his face, “You prepare dinner, and I go upstairs and check on her.”

“Really? You want to do that?”

“Yah, I’m not that horrible.”

Woohyun chuckled at how cute Sunggyu was pouting; he missed that side of him. Will it work? Can they get back to where they stopped and connect again?

“Araso, go ahead, but I’m not responsible for attacks from her.”

Sunggyu scoffed, “You make it sound like I’ve never dealt with her before.”

 

Haeun’s room

Finding her room wasn’t hard; Sunggyu knew every inch of that house. Knocking on that door, however, was hard; she wouldn’t like it - for sure. But for his relationship with Woohyun, he needs to endure it; eventually, Haeun will leave for college and get busy with her friends and studies.

Gathering all his courage, Sunggyu knocked on the door and waited until she opened the door, “Oh, it’s you.”

“Can I come in?” Haeun opened the door wider, and Sunggyu took it as an invitation. He watched her return to her little mirror and fix her hair quietly. “You have a nice room.”

“…”

“So, how was school?”

Haeun looked back at him, “What are you doing?”

“Nothing, asking about your day.”

Haeun placed the hairbrush on the table before standing before Sunggyu, “I know, I’m asking why?”

“Because-”

“It’s one of the two. You’re back to dating Dad, or I’m dying. I vote for the latter option.”

“Yah! You rather be dying than me dating your dad?”

“Oh, so you two are back together.”

Sunggyu didn’t need to ask; she sounded disappointed. “You don’t like it, do you? - I” Sunggyu closed his eyes; he wasn’t supposed to tell Haeun about them; Woohyun said he needed time to tell her.

“What!!”

“I’m not supposed to tell you.”

“Tell me what?”

“About me and your dad.”

Haeun nodded, unable to contain her disapproval, “So, it’s true, you two are dating.”

“Hmm, are you okay with it?”

“Of course I’m not!”

“Why don’t you like it?”

“It’s more, why do you hate me, samchon?”

“W-What! I don’t hate you!”

Haeun rolled her eyes, not convinced anyone could tell he didn’t like her, “Look, you’re dating Dad; I think we should be honest with each other to get it done with the day without problems.”

“Haeun-”

“I can’t stop my dad from dating; if it’s not you, it could be anyone else, so hear me out.” Haeun took a deep breath with her eyes closed before she opened them to look into Sunggyu’s eyes, “I don’t like it, you, dating my dad and you as an individual. You were mean to me my entire life; it feels weird when you try to be nice to date my dad.”

“I’m not being nice to you for that reason only!” Sunggyu sighed, shocked by how things turned out, “Do you really hate me, Haeun?”

“A-Ani”, Haeun looked down, unsure if she should be telling Sunggyu this, “as much as I hate to admit it, I don’t want you to date Dad because I know how much he loves you. I’m jealous of you.”

“What are you talking about? Your father chose you over me! So much for the love you’re talking about.”

“You are wrong, samchon.” Sunggyu waited for her to continue; he didn’t realise how mature she was until he had a real conversation like this. Usually, it’s them arguing like kids. “Dad didn’t choose me; he had no option but to take me. I’m sure I’d be living with Mom if she didn't die or something, not even sure she is dead to begin with, and Dad won’t know I exist.” Haeun sighed. A kid her age shouldn’t be sighing like that. “I kind of figured mom and dad never got along; I could be a one-night stand.”

Sunggyu’s eyes widen at that statement. Did she talk about , “How do you kids know what that means? And what do you mean she might not be dead?”

“The internet”, Haeun answered innocently, “And I asked around.”

“What do you mean you asked around?”

“I went to hospitals and searched for records.”

That got Sunggyu’s attention; he doesn’t know Haeun’s mother, either. Woohyun never said anything about her, “And? Did you find anything?”

“You think I’d tell you if I did! You’d tell Appa right away.”

Sunggyu showed her his pinky, “I promise not to tell him.”

Haeun stared at his hand and then looked at his face; he looked sincere. “No name, apparently, not even Dad knows.”

“Are you sure?”

She shook her head no, “but I don’t want to ask more because if it’s true, I might not be his daughter.”

Guilt ate Sunggyu for hearing her repeating something he said in a moment of anger. Did he push it too far this time? “H-Haeun, about the other night, I was drunk. I didn’t know what I was saying.”

“It’s not because of you, Samchon; there are no records about my mother, which means not even Appa knows about her!! I’m sure he’d also register me under her name and not leave it unknown.”

“How did you get that information?”

“I can’t tell you, it’s a secret.”

“Don’t tell me you did something illegal!!”

Haeun shrugged, “Kind of? But with the help of an adult, don’t worry.”

“Yah, that’s even worse!”

 Haeun frowned, a little worried. “You’re not telling Appa, right?”

“Of course, I won’t, I promised.”

Haeun sighed, “My friend’s mom works at the hospital; she felt bad for me and helped, that’s it, I swear.” She bit her lips nervously, “You think Appa will leave me when he’s bored of me? What if my mother is not dead and comes back to take me!! I don’t want to go with her!”

“Haeun, come.” Sunggyu sat on her bed and tapped the space next to him for her to sit, but she didn’t move. So, let's say Sunggyu understood her for the first time and wasn’t offended that she ignored his invitation, “Woohyun wouldn’t leave, even if your mom was alive.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Can I confess?” Haeun nodded slowly, “Woohyun and I didn’t part because of you; I cheated on him.”

“What!”

“I’m sure you’re why Woohyun moved on and lived happily even around me, like I was mad he didn’t care we’re not dating anymore. I even brought random men and women around him to make him jealous, yet he never cared; his eyes were all on you and not me.”

Haeun covered her ears dramatically. “I don’t need to know about your life, samchon.”

Sunggyu chuckled and said dramatically, matching her energy, “I thought you knew it all from the internet!”

“Is that why you hated me?” Haeun joined Sunggyu on the bed, laughing for the first time.

“I don’t hate you; I was jealous of you.” Sunggyu felt he needed to be more precise about this; he doesn’t hate her.

Haeun smiled, making Sunggyu smile, “I guess we were both jealous.”

“I don’t hate you, Haeun; it’s just that you came into his life without notice; I don’t even know what happened. Woohyun didn’t even ask about my affairs like I never mattered.”

Sunggyu didn’t know why it felt safe to tell Haeun about his feelings, something he had never told anyone about for a long time. Not even Dongwoo knows about this; he had so much pride that talking about it hurt his feelings.

“I wish I could tell you; I don’t even know.”

“All right then, let’s do this.” Haeun looked at Sunggyu curiously, “Whoever finds out first, tell the other, deal?”

Haeun nodded fast, “deal!” Sunggyu offered his hand to shake; Haeun looked at his hand and then back at his face, “I don’t need another father; I already have one. I hope it’s clear.”

“Then friends?” Haeun stared at his hand and then back at his face, “Come on, you won’t be disappointed, I promise.”

Haeun took the offered hand and smiled, “Araso.”

 

 

 

Gym

 

Myungsoo stood by the gym door holding two cups of coffee, biting his lips, and questioning whether coming here was the right decision. Like they are adults now, who would suggest such a thing and who would agree to it? Myungsoo lived his life safely; he never once took a risk in doing anything, which made Sungjong’s suggestion sound fun?

“Myungsoo?”

“Ouch,” Myungsoo was startled by the sudden thought interruption and accidentally spilt the hot coffee on his hand.

“Omg! Are you okay?”

Panicked, Sungyeol quickly held Myungsoo’s wrist and dragged him inside the gym, which was empty. Myungsoo was there early on purpose to avoid meeting anyone in case he changed his mind. That obviously didn’t work because Sungyeol came early.

 

Because Myungsoo was too stan to speak, Sungyeol pulled Myungsoo to sit on the gym floor and placed the two cups next to them before taking Myungsoo’s hand into his and wiping the coffee. And that’s when Myungsoo’s mind finally functions.

“I’m fine.”

“It’s red! This is my fault.” Sungyeol pulled Myungsoo to stand, “Let’s clean it with water.”

Myungsoo pulled his hand from Sungyeol’s hold and smiled, “I can do it; where is the restroom?”

 

Of course, Sungyeol followed Myungsoo to the restroom and watched him run cool water on his hands, “I’m sorry again.”

“Stop apologising. It’s not your fault; my head was somewhere else. I should be careful when holding hot drinks. I’m a barista and kno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter