Lost again

My Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

School

 

Woohyun thought his little girl was sleeping after he sent her up last night, hoping she didn’t hear a word from his argument with Sunggyu or conversation with Myungsoo. And because he didn’t get the chance to check on her between the brothers’ visit, Haeun heard it all. She even took the bus this morning without waiting for her dad to send her off.

“Haeun.”

“…”

“Haeun?”

“…”

Haeun’s friend waved her hand to get her attention but failed, so she poked her, “Haeun!”

“Huh? What?”

“I’ve been talking for hours, and you weren’t listening!”

“S-Sorry.”

Suzy stood in front of her friend and placed her tiny hands on her friend’s shoulders, “you look tired, were you up all night watching moves or playing Roblox?”

“Suzy, can I tell you a secret?”

“Sure.”

“Promise not to tell anyone.”

Suzy zipped her lips and locked it before throwing the imaginary key away, “your secret will be save with me.”

“I think I know why Sunggyu samchon doesn’t like me.”

Suzy dreamily clasped her hands, “Ah~~~, your famous handsome uncle, when will you ask him for his signature? I’ve been waiting for a while now.”

“Suzy, focus!”

“Right, you were saying you know why you two don’t get along.”

“Hmm.”

“Why?”

“I think my dad and him were dating.”

“Omg! DATING!”

“Sshh~~”, Haeun covered her friend’s mouth with her hand, “keep it down, will you?”

“Right, sorry”, Suzy whispered, “continue.”

“I think they broke up because dad cheated on him, and the result is me.”

“, ! That’s messed up. Are you sure about this?”

“No. But they always flirt with each other; Sunggyu samchon does all the flirting, yet dad never pushes him away.”

“Bestie, maybe? We hug all the time; it doesn’t mean we’re dating or in love, right?” Haeun paused, thinking her friend could be right, “what about your mom?”

“I never met mom, and dad doesn’t even talk about her; weirdly, they don’t even have a photo together; I don’t even know what she looks like.”

“So, you think your dad is hiding her pictures from you?”

“Ani, I don’t think they have one together, to begin with.”

“Are you sure your dad dated someone like Kim Sunggyu? What if your mom is famous too, and your dad stole her from your handsome uncle?”

Haeun paused a little, thinking about her friend’s words, which made sense, “I think you might be right too.”

“I know; try to find evidence, like a picture or something.”

“Sunggyu samchon has many pictures with celebrities; how would I know which one?”

“No~~~, silly.”

Suzy flickered her friend’s forehead, “Awch! That hurt.”

“You need to find either your dad and uncle in one picture hugging or-”

“A picture of both of them with the same woman?”

“Bingo, your mom.”

“Then what?”

“We will figure it out when you find something”; Haeun nodded then the school bell rang, “come on, we don’t want to be late for class; our teacher is strict.”

 

 

 

Hospital

 

Howon had kept an eye on Woohyun since their shift started; his friend looked tired as if he didn’t sleep all night; Woohyun's neck was filled with what he thinks are hickeys but was unsure since Woohyun had been a single dad for 11 years.

“Dr Nam”, Woohyun looked at Hoya “, let’s take a 5.”

“But-”

“No, but”, Howon grabbed Woohyun’s arm, and the latter was too tired to struggle “, we’re not short of doctors today; let's have a break while we can, uh?”

Woohyun scanned the ER, which was full of doctors; when did they all arrive? “Hmm, Araso.”

 

And the stare continued as if Howon was waiting for Woohyun to collapse physically or verbally and tells him what had been in his head all day. It’s not a secret; Hoya knew about his friend’s feelings toward Sunggyu, but he also knew they never crossed that line, kissing or having ; they’d only flirt, which was mainly by Sunggyu, not Woohyun. Sometimes Sunggyu pecked Woohyun’s lips or cheeks, but the marks on Woohyun’s body said otherwise. Not only that, Woohyun was limping a little.

“Coffee?”

“Thanks”, Woohyun took the offered drink, “go ahead, ask me.”

“Why? Is there something I need to ask about?”

“I don’t know; you’re the one who’s been staring at me all day.”

“Because you look like ; I didn’t want you to collapse and kill a patient.”

“I know my limits, Dr Lee.”

“Do you?”

“Dr Lee!”

“What is this?” Howon pointed at his neck, “they look fresh; last night's activity?”

“…”

“Well?”

“I believe that I’m allowed to have a life like everyone else without getting interrogated.”

“Hmm, true. Is it someone we know?”

“5 minutes is over”, Woohyun got up from the chair, “feel free to join me, Dr Lee.”

But Howon’s words stopped Woohyun from leaving the room, “was it Sunggyu? Are you having an affair with him, or are you two back together?”

“What!”

“I know you two dated back then, Sunggyu told me.”

“Wah, what else did he tell you?”

“The usual”, Woohyun gave Hoya a look to continue, “that you cheated on him.”

“And you believed him? Is that what this is about? Trying to get answers for your new buddy!”

“Ani”, Howon wiped the tear that rolled on Woohyun’s cheek, Woohyun didn’t know he was crying. “I told him this, and I’m telling you the same thing again. I trust you; I know you would never cheat on someone you love.”

“How could you believe in me after discovering I lied to you all these years about my relationship with Sunggyu!”

Howon smiled before hugging Woohyun, “I understand, Sunggyu was new in that industry back then, and I’m sure dating wasn’t on the agenda, and that’s how I know you didn’t cheat on him.”

“H-Hoya!”

“If you’re willing to date him secretly and patiently wait until he’s free to see you, then I’m sure you didn’t.”

“…”

“You can tell me anything, Woohyun. You need someone to share that pain.”

“How do you know it’s painful?”

“Because the sparkle in your eyes disappeared after you returned that day. I remember I couldn’t reach you that night and was going to report you missing, but you showed up the next day but were not the same person who left the dorm. First, I thought it was a breakup, but now I think it’s beyond that, am I right?”

“…”

Woohyun tears fell silently, remembering that night as if it happened yesterday; he never sought help back then, thinking no one would believe him and learned to recover on his own; instead, he drowned himself in med schoolbooks.

Then Haeun came into his life, and everything changed; she changed him and was like an excuse to break up with Sunggyu; the guilt he felt because of what happened haunted him every time they texted or video called, hiding something big from the one he loves wasn’t easy and what was more difficult is not trusting that Sunggyu would ever believe him. Then last night happened, and it triggered every memory Woohyun tried for years to bury.

 

Hoya gave Woohyun a glass of water after he calmed down; he had never seen Woohyun break down like that, not even the day he broke up with Sunggyu. Telling someone else what happened felt like a huge burden off his shoulder.

“How do you feel?”

“Better, thanks.”

“Did sleeping with Sunggyu trigger back those memories?”

“…”

“Hey”, Hoya laid a hand on Woohyun’s thigh gently, “I’m a doctor. I’m not here to judge you, okay?”

“Hmm”, Woohyun smiled tiredly, a failed attempt to fool his friend into thinking he was okay. “I’m fine, don’t worry.”

“Stop saying you're fine; it's okay not to be fine.”

Woohyun's tears fell again; he was not okay; Hoya was right, “I'm tired, Hoya.”

“Do you want to go home and rest?”

Woohyun nodded, “can I? I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

Hoya scanned his friend from head to toe, “I bet you didn’t.”

“Y-Yah, I thought you wouldn’t judge!”

“I’m kidding; it’s a joke” Hoya's teasing seemed to work, and Woohyun smiled, wiping his tears. “I’ll come with you.”

Woohyun held Hoya’s hand “thank you.”

“For what?”

“For listening and not asking questions, for believing me without explanation.”

“Of course, buddy, no worries. Lay down; I’ll be back to get you.”

 

 

 

My Star Café

 

Myungsoo sighed when his brother entered the café, knowing how it would end up, either arguing about what happened between him and Woohyun or his brother at one of the bathroom stalls doing a random guy until he gets complaints from customers about indecent bathroom activities.

Don’t get him wrong, Myungsoo loves his brother, but Sunggyu sometimes goes overboard, unbothered by the conscience he leaves behind, and other people must deal with. Like last night, telling a little girl that her father is not who she thinks he was, what was he thinking!

 

Though Sunggyu was wearing a mask, a hat, and sunglasses, Myungsoo recognised his brother, “Hyung, what are you doing here?”

“Wah, what a way to greet your customers, Myungsoo!”

“Hyung, I’m swamped; tell me what you want?”

“A brother!” Sunggyu lowered his mask, “I need my brother, but I guess I came to the wrong place.”

Myungsoo quickly grabbed his brother’s hand; he made sure Sunggyu’s face was covered again, “I’m sorry, I’m all ears.”

 

Sunggyu and Myungsoo took the very end corner to avoid Sunggyu’s fans gathering around them, it was school time, and most people were already at work, so the café wasn’t crowded.

“From the look on your face, I bet you talked to Woohyun.”

“Hmm, I passed by last night.”

“What kind of a relationship you have with him anyway! Shouldn’t you be passing by your brother’s house instead!”

“My brother is either partying late or working, and you told me not to bother you without giving you a call, remember?”

“Right.”

“Are you here for this? I thought you wanted to talk.”

“Hmm, it’s about what Woohyun told me yesterday.”

“All I know is that Woohyun Hyung didn’t cheat on you, but you did!”

“I didn’t even ask that! So why are you bringing the past again.”

“Until you stop bothering Woohyun Hyung!”

“I’m not bothering him, I love him, and he loves me; we’re trying to figure this out.”

“Did it ever cross your mind to ask Woohyun Hyung about what happened? And who is Haeun’s mother?”

“That’s why I’m here; I’m sure Woohyun told you something.”

“What made you think I’d tell you if he ever did?”

“Because we’re brothers! And you care about Woohyun’s happiness, right?”

“…”

“Look, I know he didn’t cheat on me; from the start, I held on to this to justify cheating on him.”

“Hyung!”

Sunggyu sighed; he never looked that depressed, which made Myungsoo wonder, was his brother acting all these years that he never cared that he was happy with his life and moved on? And now, to think about it, Sunggyu remained in Woohyun’s lif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter