Chap.16

Back To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

—JIMIN—

 

We didn't really go far. In fact, we went to the only safe place we knew. The treehouse.

 

We had to clear our minds and come up with a plan. It wasn't ideal but it was all we got.

 

We parked the car at the border of the woods, a little hidden in case our parents decided to canvas the neighborhood.

 

Minjeong hadn't said a word the whole way, however, she held my hand tight. Maybe she was afraid to let go. Afraid that if she let go she would lose me for good. That's for sure how I felt.

 

Once the eternal ladder of despair climbed, we had the time to catch our breath.

 

As we were sat on the floor, Minjeong still didn't let go of my hand and I think I wouldn't either anytime soon.

 

She was almost immobile. It kind of frightened me because I was used to seeing her exhibiting nervous habits, like when she plays with her sleeves or bounces her leg. She was looking straight ahead and I didn't know if she was with us or in her own head.

 

"So, uh..." Somi started, gaining everyone's attention. "It's not that I have anything better to do anyway but are we planning to stay here mute until we die or are we going to come up with a plan?"

 

"We really need to teach you human manners." Aeri shook her head.

 

"My parents tried." Somi snorted to herself. Aeri rolled her eyes sighing.

 

"At least they tried." Minjeong let out in a small voice. She looked so sad and I couldn't help but squeeze her hand. "Atleast they care about you." she sighed.

 

I couldn't take the pain it was inflicted me anymore. I moved to her side and hugged her. Her hand wrapped gently around my arm. I put my head on her shoulder. Ningning came to the other side of her and did the same.

 

"Little question, do you all feel some kind of emotion or am I an emotionless ? It kind of scares me right now."

 

"Good that I'm not the only one having an emotional crisis." Minjeong half-joked.

 

Somehow, it made everyone chuckled. Even Somi.

 

It died down and the despair was felt again.

 

"What's your plan, Kim?" Somi sat on the table, grabbing an apple and playing with it.

 

Minjeong sighed, "I don't have any. The only thing I know is that I can't go back to my house. Not anymore. I think I officially got kicked out when we ran away. I would like to think leaving town is the best move but I also have Jimin's side to consider." she turned towards me.

 

I was taken aback a bit because I hadn't really thought about it. I knew we needed a plan. I just completely forgot about coming up with it.

 

"I..."

 

"It's alright. Take your time into thinking." Minjeong sent me a smile.

 

"You two are disgusting." Somi groaned.

 

They all look at her and Aeri even slapped her arm. She immediately seemed to understand that she had said it the wrong way as her eyes widened

 

"That's not what I meant. It's just that you're so in love it's disgusting." Aeri squinted her eyes at her. "Not in a homophobic way but..." she clarified, "In an 'I find love disgusting kind of way'."

 

Minjeong laughed, "I feel sorry for your future boyfriend." Somi frowned. "Or girlfriend, or whatever they want to be called." Minjeong added, only to make Somi groaned.

 

They all laughed. I suddenly felt relax and I wondered if old Jimin could have even imagined this. I felt a bit emotional at the thought. She had always wanted to be accepted and be loved by her family and by her friends. I wished Minjeong could have joined them at lunch and that the girls would strike the conversation with her. That they would leave school together laughing.

 

"Jimin-ah.."

 

Our eyes snapped toward the door but the voice was coming from below. To the ground.

 

The voice of my mother.

 

My blood flow stopped. I could swear I had stopped breathing too. My mother kept calling my name. It was called with certainty as if she knew exactly where I was. That's when it came back in my head.

 

Of course, she knew. She had read the diaries.

 

My head turned to Minjeong who was already staring at me anxiously.

 

What was I supposed to do now? My life was torn into two parts. And yet, these two parts had collided leaving me to pick up the pieces. I was the only one responsible for my life. Now that I knew the only question that remained was: what was I wanting?

 

My gaze got back at Minjeong. I gulped. I squeezed her hand one last time and slowly got up. Minjeong being the gentlewo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter