Chap.8

Back To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

—JIMIN—

 

I was standing behind our school. It was now 4:26 pm.

 

The sun was shining brightly, reflecting on the broken pieces of glass on the asphalt. Creating little rainbows everywhere.

 

Oh, the beautiful irony.

 

I saw it everywhere now. It followed me everywhere. So obvious.

 

How was I so blind? And how had everyone around me could have been so blind?

 

They were supposed to be my family, my friends. They were supposed to care about me, to love me. Yet, they were just as blind as I had been for the past two months.

 

My mind was twirling in a nightmarish spiral impossible to escape. My thoughts were all over the place. I...

 

"Jimin."

 

I turned around, facing the woman that was my lover in my past life.

 

She was standing there, innocently looking, her aviator glasses on the bridge of her nose. She was wearing a simple light blue sweater, way too large for her. A black trouser, where she hid her hands deep in its pockets, with matching colors sneakers and the visible straps of her backpack. She looked cute like that but also strangely vulnerable.

 

I looked up at her face. She quickly averted her gaze, pushing her glasses up her nose.

 

"I... brought some snacks, if you're hungry?" she said clearing and taking off her backpack to open it.

 

"W-Wait," I looked around. No one was here but someone might see us. I wasn't ready to explain to the girls or my family my connection with Minjeong. I didn't even know it myself.

 

As I looked back at her, I saw that sad expression again but she was quick to pull herself together. In just a microsecond it disappeared behind a soft smile.

 

"We should go somewhere else." she suggested, knowing fully well what I was thinking. "Where no one will see us."

 

"Where?"

 

She put back her backpack on her shoulders, looking at the ground in thoughts.

 

"Uh..." she started playing with her sleeves. "I... uh,"

 

I remembered the treehouse. It was the perfect time to go there. First, because it was secluded and second because I needed to know. I needed to see it for real.

 

Maybe it will help me regain some memories. It was my chance.

 

"The treehouse."

 

Her head jerked up, eyebrows raised and mouth wide open. She had stopped playing with her sleeves. moved as she was about to speak but nothing came out.

 

It must be how people looked like when they were in shock?

 

I thought I really needed to explained myself because poor Minjeong looked like she was about to have a heart attack. I couldn't help but find her confusion quite endearing but I needed to put that girl out of her misery.

 

"I do not remember... y-yet." I let out.

 

She frowned, clearly even more confused.

 

"Then how... how do you know about that?" Before I could reply her eyes widened, "Wait do... do you know... about..." she gestured from her to me back and forth.

 

"A-About us?" I tried to guess what she wanted to say. In result, she nodded slowly in shock.

 

"How? Did someone tell you? No... no, it's impossible. No one knew. So—"

 

As cute as it was to see her rambling, I had to stop her because it clearly looked like she wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

 

"Minjeong!"

 

She abruptly stopped, looking at me in confusion. Tilting her head to the side like a lost puppy.

 

"Sorry.." she whispered, scratching the back of her neck.

 

" It... is o-okay, I think we are b-both overwhelmed."

 

She huffed, "Yeah, that's the least you can say."

 

She looked up again, our eyes met and my heart skipped a beat. Is this how 'old me' felt around Minjeong? I shook my head refocusing.

 

"I fo-found a diary in my room and.... pictures. That is how I know." 

 

Minjeong's brows knitted together and arched up again. "Oh! The polaroids, right?"

 

As I nodded, the sound of footsteps approaching was heard. Both of our heads snapped in their direction. It was coming closer. I started to panic. What if it was someone I knew or rather who knew me since I still didn't recognize everyone I could have known.

 

Minjeong and I looked at each other, eyes full of panic.

 

"Let's go." Minjeong whispered, gesturing for me to follow her.

 

 

 

—MINJEONG—

 

We were walking in the woods, for about 20 minutes now. Slowly because of Jimin's injured leg. None of us had dared to talk. The silence was deafening. I could feel Jimin's busy mind next to me, full of questions. I tried to find something to say but I was so nervous that nothing felt right. I didn't want to screw things up. I mean, it was already a miracle that she was still following me. She knew about us and she didn't run away.

 

I smiled dumbly remembering that Jimin kept the pictures. I thought she had destroyed them in fear of being caught but she didn't. My heart was aching now. They must have been very dear to her for her to keep them like that.

 

Every time I had thoughts about our love being fragile, Jimin proved me wrong. Even now. Now that she was another Jimin. My eyes started to fill with tears and a lump formed in my throat.

 

I blinked rapidly, getting rid of them. I couldn't cry now. Not in front of her. I needed to stay strong.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

I turned my gaze toward her concerned face.

 

"Yeah, it's just some... allergies."

 

She nodded, absently minded like she was deep in her thoughts. I looked back to where I was walking trying to find something to say.

 

"I didn't know you wrote a diary?"

 

I saw Jimin turned her head toward me from the corner of my eyes.

 

"I didn't know either... I mean, it was hidden."

 

"Hidden?"

 

She nodded, "Uhm un-under my... dresser. The box was du-duct taped underneath."

 

I smirked chuckling.

 

"You were always a sneaking one." Her brows furrowed to my response.

 

"Was I?" 

 

When I looked at her to answer, something caught her attention in front of us. opened agape and her eyes went wide. I followed her gaze but I already knew what it was.

 

The treehouse came into view, standing high and majestic.

 

The heavy sunlight was filtering through the leaves, falling delicately on the old wood of our sanctuary. The place had always symbolized hope for us.

 

First to me. After my forced coming out, one day things became unsupportable at home. I couldn't take it anymore. So I ran outside sobbing.

 

I didn't know where I was going but I kept on running. Once I regained a consciousness state of mind I was in the woods. Truth was, I was lost. I never went to these woods before. I kept on walking in the rain hoping I would find my way out or find a quick death. My life meant nothing to me at that time.

 

I wandered for hours and then...there it was. Majestically elevated. Welcoming me.

 

It became my sanctuary and when Jimin and I became friends, we needed a place to hang out far from everyone's eyes. So I let her in.

 

 

—Flashback—

 

"Holy damn.."

 

Jimin was looking around in awe, letting her fingertips grazed upon the wooden walls. I let her take it all in waiting in patience, observing her from afar. I was captivated by her fascinated face. The rays of sunlight were perfectly illuminating her smooth dark locks.

 

My heart was beating so hard against my chest that I thought she could hear it too but if she did she didn't let it appear. She was focused on exploring this new territory.

 

"How did you find this place?" she asked, finally turning her attention toward me. Feeling nervous under her gaze, I buried my hands in my pockets and looked down. I was mesmerized by her, my eyes couldn't find a way to detach themselves from her but the moment she was looking at me, I couldn't sustain it. I looked away immediately.

 

I didn't think I ever looked her in the eyes for a long

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter