Chap.13

Back To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

—MINJEONG—

 

—Flashback—

 

The rain was pouring outside the treehouse, the sound of it resonating on the roof.

 

Jimin was lying by my side snuggling up in blankets. I was gently her hair with one hand while with the other it was her arm that was resting on my stomach.

 

"I want to stay here forever." Jimin breathed against my neck, creating euphoric shivers on it. "Nothing is complicated here."

 

"It's because I'm awesome." I joked, making her laugh.

 

She shyly slapped my stomach. "You're an idiot."

 

"I know."

 

"But you're my idiot."

 

My heart stopped. Did she really said that or was I imagining it? I knew she cared about me but was it that much?

 

I knew I had issues with relationships, the constant fear of being abandoned and since I became friends with Jimin, I was scared I would drive her away.

 

I was doubting everything I said, everything I did. I always wondered what would be too much for her? Maybe one day, she'll stop speaking to me all at once and...

 

"Minjeong-ah?"

 

My blurry vision focused on her confused face. That's when I realized I was crying. I didn't know when it started but the tears kept falling slowly on my face.

 

"Why are you crying?" Jimin asked in concern, wiping my tears.

 

"I..." What could I say to this angel besides, "Thank you... Thank you for being here with me."

 

Her eyes softened, she smiled and kissed my cheek. I felt embarrassed at my stupid reaction suddenly.

 

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't like you." I chuckled and Jimin helped me straightened up and gave me a tissue.

 

After I wiped the tears away, I looked at her and my stomach was beautifully invaded by thousands of butterflies. She looked at me with such a loving expression that I couldn't even believe it was real. She gently took my hands in hers, moving closer. She nuzzled her face in the crook of my neck. Our fingers intertwined so naturally even though it was the first time we did it. I closed my eyes, enjoying the feelings of the moment.

 

"I know you're scared but you don't have to be."

 

The weight of her and her warmth disappeared from my side, I opened my eyes and our eyes met.

 

"I'll always be here."

 

Could she?

 

"You can't promise that." I whispered.

 

"I know." Yet she came closer and I hold my breath. Our eyes still drowning in one another.

 

Our noses touched, hers was cold and I wanted to warm it with mine. Her lips grazed upon mine, I was already addicted before even having a taste. The kiss was tender and heady. The butterflies escaped in my veins, coursing my body in such a delighting way that I thought I was flying.

 

It was forever in my head yet only lasted a few seconds. When our eyes met again, it was like there was electricity between us. A deep connection that I hoped would never break.

 

"Mindongie?" she murmured so vulnerably that I got scared for a second.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I love you."

 

Plain, raw, soft.

 

It hit me like a truck. All I could see was her eyes. It was the truth. A truth that came straight out of my wildest dreams. She wasn't lying and that was the craziest part to me. I loved her and she loved me back.

 

It all felt unreal but how could I imagine it?

 

At that moment, I became fully aware of my surroundings. I could hear the sound of her breathing and further away of the rain, so clearly. The smell of her shampoo, the way her hands touched mine, the light breeze against my neck, the lighting on her face.

 

It was like an awakening.

 

"I love you too, Yuji..."

 

Her smile spread, a tear escaped her eye but I knew it was a happy one.

 

"Let me kiss you." I mumbled. She chuckled as I approached her face.

 

It felt like everything would be alright as long as we got each other.

 

—End of Flashback—

 

 

The tears started coming before I could stop them. I didn't want them to see me cry but the feelings were too strong and I began sobbing.

 

I felt comforting arms wrap around me and I didn't have to look up to know it was Ningning.

 

After a moment, I somehow managed to get a hold of myself. The sob died down, leaving place to embarrassment.

 

"Sorry.." I sniffled after I regained my composure.

 

"It's ok." Ning patted my shoulder.

 

The girls were still on the other side of the room, however, they seemed less hostile almost... touched? It was hard to say.

 

"Damn Kim! I thought I was gonna catch feelings for a second." Somi mocked.

 

I scoffed. I wish I could see that. That day, it would be a miracle.

 

Aeri took a few steps closer looking at Ningning and I. "I... This is undeniably a complicated situation we're in." That's an understatement, I thought. "But all of this," She gestured around the room. "This isn't helping the original problem."

 

"Jimin unnie's disappearance." Ningning reminded everyone.

 

"Yes," Aeri confirmed. "We need to find her. All of us can agree that this is really unlike Jimin. Right, Miss Ki— Minjeong?"

 

I was taken aback that she was addressing me directly but I guess... progress?

 

"It's very... uncommon." I agreed.

 

"Maybe we're overreacting." We all turned toward Somi with unexpressive faces. "A bit? No, ok. Guess we're not." she sighed and sat on a desk.

 

"So none of us have any idea where she could be?" Yeji asked. Everyone shook their heads.

 

"Maybe Kim here locked her in her cellar?" Somi deadpanned.

 

"Haha... really funny." I glared at her. She sent me a mocking smile.

 

"Somi, not the time." Aeri huffed, exasperated once again.

 

Somi threw her hands up, backing off. She seemed to have calmed a bit after earlier but she was still, well, an .

 

"We should work together." Ningning suggested out of nowhere. "We need to find her and the more we are the better, right?"

 

"Maybe she's just chilling at home?" Somi intervened again.

 

"Thank you for your deep insight but very unlikely." Aeri answered, sending her a glare that clearly meant ‘shut up’. "We'll go to her house after school."

 

"You should go to the treehouse, maybe she's there." Ningning addressed me.

 

"What treehouse?" Yeji, Aeri and Somi asked at the same time.

 

 

The treehouse was empty and for the first time since I discovered this place, it felt cold and unwelcoming.

 

I came here right after school. I waited and waited until the darkness engulfed the treehouse. The shadows of the sun were replaced by the shadows of the artificial lamp placed on the table.

 

I heard their voices before their footsteps. I got up, hoping they would bring Jimin with them but once I reached the door and looked down, it was only the four of them. I sighed in disappointment and my heart clenched wondering what might have happened.

 

I was imagining the worst, like always. I tried to tell myself to calm down, that it was probably nothing but my mind was bombarded with questions like was she hurt? Was she sick? Did they know? Did...

 

"Damn, that's a big treehouse." Somi exclaimed, loudly enough for me to hear it clearly.

 

Damn, they were loud. Guess it was a good thing they weren't bird-sighting.

 

Ningning was the first to climb and when the others came up, there was a succession of 'woah's.

 

"What is this place?" Yeji asked in awe, walking around the room.

 

For the first time, I was proud to show something that was mine. Well, not really mine technically but who cares. I was so proud of it and I smiled at the reactions that it provoked.

 

"I found it years ago. I was wandering in the forest and here it was. I arranged it a bit and it became kind of my hideout."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter