Chap.17

Back To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

—MINJEONG—

 

It was all too quiet in the car. The dread took me by the stomach. Even the fact that Jimin was by my side didn't dissipate the knots. Her hand was still in mine poised on the leather backseat. The radio wasn't on either. The silence was distorting my mind, making everything a potential threat in my eyes. The occasional looks of her father in the rearview mirror was stopping my breathing.

 

Was I still breathing?

 

I didn't know. It felt like I was holding it all that time. Even when we arrived and we left the car, when I felt the light breeze on my skin again. I didn't breathe. It was like I was holding inside me Jimin and if I exhaled, she would pass my mouth and get lost in this gigantic world.

 

The girls' car stopped behind us on the curve. It eased me a bit, their presence. They were not exactly what we could call friends and yet, they were the only ones on and at my side.

 

Jimin bumped lightly into my shoulder. My eyes followed the movement and met her eyes. She wasn't exactly in the most peaceful of mind but she wasn't as panicked as she had been at the hospital. She loved her family even if they did her wrong. But there was a deep hole now between her and them and it would take a lot to fill it to be able to pass across again. I could see that but even with all of that in her mind she still tried to protect me at that moment. She smiled reassuringly at me. The kind of smile that made me melt. I wanted to be able to do that to her. I wanted to be the one who protected her. I didn't want her to worry about me. I was afraid yes but not from her parents. I was afraid to lose her.

 

I squeezed her hand for probably the hundredth time that day. Her parents were patiently waiting by the door, I could feel their gaze from time to time but things changed a little.

 

My eyes fell on the window on the side of the house where Jimin's brother was glaring at me from. There was pure hatred in his eyes. His jaw was clenched and if he had the opportunity I was sure he would have beaten me up.

 

How could this girl have done this to his sister? That must have been what he was thinking. I didn't blame him. He was programmed to hate me. I just hoped that he would outgrow it, for the sake of his sister.

 

We followed Jimin's parents inside. The silence that was reigning was almost unnatural. We arrived in the living room where Jimin's brother was now in, or rather, leaning against the door frame arms crossed over his chest.

 

Jimin's mom gestured for us to sit on the couch. Somehow, all of us fitted on it while Jimin's dad took the armchair on the left and her mom the one on the right fixing it to face us rather than the TV. Her brother didn't move and he was still piercing holes through my skull.

 

Jimin's mom cleared and all of our attention converged toward her.

 

"I..." she took a deep breath. "I don't really know how to start this conversation but we have to have it."

 

Most of them nodded. I could feel my heart rose up in my chest and stuck in my throat. It was now. The moment I had dreaded since the beginning of my relationship with Jimin. I was more confident now and less afraid yet I still had that knot in my stomach because I didn't want Jimin to live the same thing I was with my family.

 

"I... think I should explain." Jimin spoke up. "From the beginning. And after, you can tell me... what you want."

 

Her parents shared a look then nodded.

 

Jimin released a deep breath and squeezed my hand almost on instinct. I held her a little tighter but not to the point to hurt her.

 

She told her story slowly and precisely. She started from the accident of course because she still couldn't remember how it was before. She talked about the diaries and what happened before the accident through them. Our closeness and how she felt like we knew each other and we did. She talked about her feelings. It was the first time for me too to hear that and my eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter