Chapter Six- Perfume

Oblivious To The Obvious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

This chapter was so much fun to write, ended up with more than 3000 words.

This one would be the last of NYC series, Enjoy!

 

That night, Ning went out with her friends, Jimin went to a Knicks game and WinSelle went out strolling around NY’s Soho. They had already eaten Italian and continued strolling to kill the time.

“You’re not shopping, Minjeong?”
“Nah, don’t feel like it and I bought a lot of gummies already, one of my suitcases is full of candy.”
“I mean clothes, that long coat may look good on you. Do you want to try? We could go inside for a while.” Giselle didn’t hear a reply and caught Minjeong staring blankly. “You’re overthinking it; you know.”
“What do you mean?”
“Why don’t we have a cup of coffee? Sounds good?”

 

Seated near the window overlooking a busy street, Minjeong was looking at random people walking, crossing the street, and getting something to eat. Her mind was wandering and thinking.

“I got you a hot chocolate.”
“Thanks, unnie. You’re having another latte? It’s nighttime, won’t you be awake later tonight?”
“Don’t worry it’s decaf, I like the coffee taste.” Giselle had a sip and, “Ah, that is good, just what I needed. You know being in between you and Jimin is exhausting. I had to put up with you sulking and Jimin possessive-ing.”
“Ah unnie, you saw that too… Jimin unnie is so….” Minjeong let out a long sigh and put her face in her hands.
“Come on, tell me what you’re thinking, and I’ll tell you what it looks like from another person's point of view.” Sometimes Giselle can be so mature and Minjeong like that about her. “Wait, hold that thought, somebody wants a report.”

 

Meanwhile, in Madison Square Garden, Jimin was having the time of her life, watching a live basketball game was on her bucket list. There were food and drinks inside the suite, Jimin ate her dinner there and by halftime, she was already up on her feet once again. Suddenly on half time show, the camera pointed at her, and her dancing and having fun were shown on the big screen.

“Uwaa, unnie look! My face, my bloaty face!” Jimin laughed out loud looking at the screen with the caption ‘aespa KARINA’
“I didn’t realize we were waving so frantically. I hope they don’t see Koreans as crazy people.” They lol-ed without a care since this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

Quarter 3 of Knicks vs Suns had started, manager unnie and the rest went straight watching the game but Jimin, well, she needed updates.
It’s been an hour, why is Gi not updating?

*New message from Jimin*
Where are you now?
It’s been an hour since your last text.

We’re at a café now. 
Do I have to give you updates hourly now?
Is the game not fun for you to focus on her?

The game is great, my face was on the big screen 
Unnie and I were waving stupidly, lol
Just give me an update every time you move

Jimin, I love you but you’re a pain sometimes

I know you love me, lol, thx Gi

Jimin in her thoughts, she’s okay, she’s still with Gi

 

***

 

In the café,

“Hourly updates?! Okay, she’s being too much right? This. is. too. much.” Minjeong threw her hands up after reading Giselle’s phone.
“You guys are cute. I like seeing you both bicker, made me smile.”
“The Tarot lady said so too like we are a married couple or such.”
“That triggers you?” Giselle cupped her coffee while looking at the latter like a shrink.
“Back then I brushed it off, we were just starting our trainee days and we came across that Tarot Lady. Me and Jimin unnie just thought it was kinda funny since we were not that close just yet. Even after we debuted in the same group, I thought maybe she is my soulmate like in a best friend way, sometimes she knows what I want or think, she talks for me, she is extroverted in that way.”
“How about the babe/baby/honey thing?” Another sip of her coffee for the shrink.
“TO be honest, we both find it cute. It was meant to be a cute nickname for each other. I call her that all the time, everyone in the company knows we call each other babe.”
“Now you hate it?”
“Not hate unnie, I love hearing her call me babe or baby or claiming me as hers or her puppy but deep down aren’t you curious if to her this was all just an act? If this is all an act and I catch feelings, then I would be the dumb one.”
“An act or not, she is such a caring person, to me and Ning, especially to you, if me and Ning receive 25% of her care level, you had the whole 50% or probably 100% if she could.”
“That is true. But I just, I want to know the truth about how she feels, what are her thoughts. The company taught her to act too well and just give the world what it wants to see. Don’t you feel like that as well? Sometimes she is just too good at everything.”
“During our debuting days, I rely so much on her, I’m not Korean born so culturally she is my rock. Yes, she is too good at everything even acting as Karina. Do you plan to talk to her? Even if she knows what you are thinking does not mean she knows everything inside that weird head of yours.”
“I acknowledge I am weird, thank you for the heads up unnie.” Minjeong rolled her eyes. “I do plan to but maybe choosing the time is hard, we will get holidays though, right?”
“We should be getting holidays soon maybe. You’ll think about it, I’m sure of it.”

*New message from Jimin*
You’re still out?
I’ll be back in 30 minutes, you should head back

We are still out, yes mother we’re going back


“Remind me to block her number tomorrow? We should get back, mother just texted.” Giselle showed Minjeong her phone.
“She texted again…? See, she wasn’t like this back then. I’m gonna tell her to leave you alone unnie, we won’t be able to have fun together when she’s like this every time we go out.”

 

*New message from Mindoong to Jimin*
Stop harassing Giselle unnie

What do you mean, Mindoongie?

Text me if you want to know where I am, don’t ask someone else

Sure and I will get a reply in 2 days
You know I’m just worried about you

But I’m going out with Gi unnie 
Not some random person

I don’t care, sulk all you want
You’re heading back yet?

We are walking


“Even my parents are not possessive like this, sorry for this Gi unnie.” Minjeong put her phone inside her bag, gathered her things, and stood up.
“No worries, we both know how she is; she likes to have something to care for and manage, I think.” 

 

They both exited the café, the sky was clear with several stars above, and the walk back to the hotel was quiet, both in their own thoughts. One was confused with the growing feelings and denial, while the other was confused about how much money she had spent shopping on this trip. 

“Thank you for listening to me, unnie.” They were inside the elevator, going up to their room floors.
“We should go out more, tonight was fun, excluding mother watching us like a hawk. But I’m glad, we have someone like her who cares so much.” The elevator reached their floor. “My only advice is, just think that Jimin is being a caring leader for her group, and you are her best friend, so she is bound to be more possessive of you than the rest of us.” They both reached Giselle’s door, Minjeong’s was just across hers.
“But beware of raised flags.”
“What flags?”
“I don’t know, something out of the ordinary for both you and Jimin. Anyways, good night dummy.” Giselle unlocked her door.
“Ok, thank you and good night too dumber.” Minjeong gave a wide smile and pushed inside her room.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter