Eight

Stolen Moments
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week had passed since Mina and Dahyun had agreed to start Sooyoung's treatment. There were still no noticeable changes, and as part of the treatment the doctor had recommended that they could try to stimulate their memory by watching the home videos that Dahyun had recorded years ago, reading the letters or anything else that was related to their past.

 

It was Sunday and surprisingly Mina had the day off. She was alone, Minji had left the night before to Jeongyeon's new house and the next day they were going to meet Chaeyoung to go to an arcade game place together. 

 

The doctor was happy for her daughter and Jeongyeon. The decision to move to another country and leave the life they had already built there was not an easy one. Minji had to be the new student at a new school and Mina had to fight to get her daughter accepted, considering that the year was almost over. Jeongyeon, even though she was originally from Korea, had to get used to the customs of her country and the hustle and bustle of a city like Seoul. Almost a month after arriving in South Korea, the two of them were doing well and adjusting faster than expected.

It also helped a lot that people like Chaeyoung and the rest of the group of friends were willing to provide as much help as possible to make the three girls feel comfortable. 

 

 

After breakfast, Mina opted to clean up the house a bit, especially the rooms on the second floor that were in use. When the woman arrived at one of the guest rooms she found that the entire place was filled with boxes, some had names and some did not. Mina's eyes quickly fell on a specific box that had Dahyun's name written on it.

 

They say that curiosity killed the cat and Mina could not contain her impulse to look at what was in that box. There she found books, papers that were not very important and among all that Mina found two old black notebooks that also had Dahyun's name written on the cover. 

The Japanese girl took a look and discovered that they were those intimate diaries where people usually write their thoughts and ideas. 

 

Then Mina read a page at random.

 

 

June 20. 2005

«Dahyun here. 

 

It's almost midnight but I didn't want to go to sleep without writing something and I must admit that today was a wonderful day.

 

First, the university had to evacuate all the students since Professor Haruma almost set the whole chemistry lab on fire because of an experiment that went wrong and several chemicals were released into the air, so we will all have three days off ¡yay! 

 

I know that's not good news but thanks to that accident Mina and I were finally able to talk 3. 

 

I can't blame her, lately we've both been busy with our classes and soon final exams are coming up so we don't have a lot of free time..... BUT guess what? I finally got the courage to ask her if she wants to go on a date with me tomorrow AND SHE SAID YES!!!! 

 

Off campus there is a new restaurant where they have live bands on Friday nights. We will go there for dinner and then I plan to take her on a tour of the Han River. Sounds very cliché I know but I know it will be special. 

 

I'm nervous, I hope everything goes well. »

 

 

Wanting to know more Mina swipes a couple of pages and continues reading. Deep down she knows it's wrong to read these notebooks but she is very curious to know what she and Dahyun were like before the whole incident. 

 

 

June 22. 2005

«Dahyun here.

 

Hey sorry for not writing these days but there is a good explanation. 

 

Mina and I were catching up on some time together before classes completely consume us again.

 

So what do you think? The date went well, and Mina even said she would love to go on another date with me.

 

AND SHE KISSED MY CHEEK OMG 

My heart still races when I think about that. I know that's wrong, she only sees me as a friend but I can't help it and I'm afraid that every day I fall a little more in love with Myoui Mina.

 

I fear that she will reject me if I confess my feelings and I don't want to lose her and lose our friendship. I think for now I can be content with just being her friend.... »

 

 

July 15. 2005

«The local newspaper accepted my poems and will place them in a section of their paper every Friday. I am very happy.

 

Gahyeon says I should go into journalism or write reviews about the food we try at the restaurants we usually visit on weekends. (I must admit that's not a bad idea).

 

Gahyeon and I are the same age and shared several classes this past semester. Lately we've gotten a little closer and she's a good friend to hang out with. She is very funny and adorable.»

 

August 6. 2005

«Dahyun here.

 

Mina and I fought for the first time. I'm really not sure what happened but she got upset with me because Gahyeon asked me out on Saturday night to the restaurant where Mina and I went on our first date. One of Gahyeon's favorite bands would be performing so she asked if I could join her and I said yes.

 

When I asked Mina why she was upset she said that I didn't have enough time for her anymore but enough time to be with Gahyeon. Then I got mad at her because lately I've been trying to stop by her room to watch some movies or just talk and she always says she's busy.

 

Mina really confuses me.»

 

 

The day's cleaning was long forgotten and the doctor now read the notebook as if it was an interesting fictional novel and not as if it was literally part of her past history with Kim Dahyun. 

 

She went down to the kitchen, prepared some instant ramen and when it was ready she sat down on the living room sofa to continue her reading.

 

 

August 26. 2005

«Final exams are just around the corner and I'm sure my brain might explode if I read another paragraph. I need a break and maybe a paid v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter