Eleven

Stolen Moments
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The mission to make Myoui Mina fall in love begins. 

 

But where should you start?

 

How do you win over someone who doesn't remember you?

 

Dahyun wonders, looking at the blank screen of her laptop in front of her. She accepted Mina's idea, but had no idea how to start writing the book. 

 

It's been a couple of days since Dahyun revealed to Mina her true feelings. Mina didn't reciprocate her feelings completely but she didn't reject her either, and now that Dahyun seemed to have a new opportunity she wasn't going to waste the chance.

 

But then again, where does she start?

 

"I can see smoke coming out of your head" Sana sat next to her on the couch with a cup of hot tea in her hands. She looked at Dahyun, "What's wrong?" she looked at the screen and saw the few words Dahyun had written. "Ah, I see what the problem is."

 

"How should I do it?" Dahyun dropped her body against the back of the sofa, "It's been a long time since I've had dates and such couple things."

 

"Dahyun you sound like an eighty year old lady" Sana teased looking at Dahyun. "It's not that complicated if you think about it, you just go and ask Mina out on a date. Take her to a restaurant, have a walk along the Han River, watch a movie at the cinema..." 

 

"Sana that's so cliché."

 

"I know, but you can give it a try.... Unless you have a better plan."

 

Dahyun thought for at least a minute and then shook her head. She was empty of ideas. "Do you think she'll agree to go on a date with me?" 

 

"As far as we know she didn't turn you down, so she'll be waiting for you to make a move, and this is your chance Dubs."

 

"I'll ask her out this afternoon" Dahyun said decisively. There is always the possibility that Mina will say no but Dahyun has to try. "But first I have to do something important"

 

"What is it?" 

 

"Talk to Irene." 

 

"Well I can't help you with that anymore" Sana patted her on the shoulder a couple of times in support. "Good luck."

 

 

 

____

 

 

 

Irene was in complete silence after having listened attentively to Dahyun's whole story about how she met Minji, how she discovered that she was his daughter, and that she was also legally married years ago to Mina, even though she had hardly any memory of her. 

 

Dahyun waited for Irene to say something. Even if they never made any relationship official, they both knew there was something special between them that couldn't be denied. 

 

"I don't know what to say... When you said we had to talk I never expected you to tell me all this" Irene said sincerely bewildered. 

 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but-"

 

"But you were busy spending time with her, trying to remember her" Irene interrupted her, a sad smile crossed her lips which didn't go unnoticed by Dahyun. 

 

"Irene..."

 

"Those dreams weren't nightmares, they were memories of your life... with her" Irene says and sees the realization form on Dahyun's face. 

 

She can remember the times they slept together, Dahyun would wake up in the middle of the night due to recurring nightmares about the accident. Dahyun would say that in her dream another person would appear next to her in the car, although Dahyun could never put a familiar face to it but she was sure it was the silhouette of a woman. Dahyun always said that she had the feeling that she was not alone in that car, however the police report indicated otherwise and Dahyun had to accept that for years. 

Other days she would dream of a baby and a woman holding it, she would be on her back and when Dahyun tried to approach the woman would start walking and walk away, preventing Dahyun from reaching her. Other times Dahyun would dream of that same woman, they would both be in the middle of a field of flowers, she would always try to approach the woman and suddenly everything would go black and Dahyun would free fall into a black hole until he would finally wake up, only to feel and see Irene next to him uttering words of comfort.

The nightmares went on for months until they slowly subsided and Dahyun would dream of those things from time to time.

 

Now Dahyun knew that those were never nightmares, they were fragments of his memories of the life she had years ago.

 

"I assume you're not going to let her go are you?"

 

"Mina and I underwent a treatment to get our memory back and I think it's slowly working.... I can't remember her completely but I know I have feelings for her and I want to try to find out what it is" Dahyun looked at Irene, the woman was expressionless and the writer knew she was holding back her feelings. Irene was good at hiding how she felt, however Dahyun knew her quite well. 

 

"Would you have? Would you have stayed with me if I had asked you?" Irene dares to ask.

 

"Yes, you know I would have" Dahyun says sincerely. Right now she owes it to Irene. 

 

"But..."

 

"But we both know that wouldn't have made you really happy. Being in a relationship, even if it was with me. You've never liked strings attached and limiting yourself is not what you would have wanted for your life. You don't like having boundaries at all, you enjoy your freedom. That's why you and I worked, we enjoyed each other's company without asking for anything in return, I respected that part of you. Despite loving each other we couldn't have been a couple, because you don't want long term commitments, I do."

 

Irene smiles vaguely, she knows Dahyun is right, however that doesn't make the situation any less painful. 

 

"If you ask me I would have given up my freedom just for you Kim Dahyun."

 

"I know, but I could never take that away from you." 

 

"I guess this is the end then."

 

"Can you promise me one last thing?" Dahyun asks.

 

"Anythin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter