Weaning

Diary Entry - Eundeok Parenting Life (Baekhera)

‘Ma…Ma…Ma…Mmmmmmaaaaaa.’

(Little Ho babbles right after he has woken up. Soondeok bounces up at once and carries him out of the room.)

‘Good morning sweetheart. Be quiet, don’t wake your daddy up, he came back from work quite late last night.’

(Soondeok takes his son upstairs where they can sit comfortably on the bed while looking out into the woods through the window as the sun warms the earth up.)

‘Did you sleep well last night my little boy? You’re doing great these days! Thank you for letting mummy sleep through the night~ You’re the best boy! You must be hungry, here, time to eat. Is that a smile for your mummy? How lovely~’

(The young mother lies on her side while her son begins his breakfast. She gently his round head while humming softly. The birds are also busy filling the air with their chirping – summer has arrived and now is the time Soondeok likes the most, being able to enjoy the clean summer breeze in the morning before the air gets too hot from the high-up sun.)

‘Ho-yah, mummy’s thinking of feeding you only twice a day from now on, you’re growing up and you need to start eating real food, like a big boy.’

(Ho isn’t so fond of the idea so he bites down hard, causing his mother to let out a loud scream from this sudden “attack”.)

‘What’s wrong?! What’s going on? Deok ah, are you alright?’

(Eun runs upstairs after hearing her scream, eyes still partly shut – obviously he’s still half-asleep. Being a father has given him new superpowers and being able to wake up within a split second from any kind of disturbance of peace is one of them.)

‘Oppa! Look! Our Ho’s teething!!!!’

‘He’s what?’

‘He bit my s so bad just then…ouch…Oppa, I’ve made up my mind, we’re weaning him.’

‘Already? But he’s only 7 months old!’

‘But look at this! I can’t possibly let him bite me every time I feed him!’

‘He’s only a baby, how hurting can it be?’

‘Oh yeah? How about I let you have a try, huh? Son, your father won’t believe me so why don’t you show him how you bit me just then?’

‘Alright alright! Chill! If you’re fine with weaning him, of course I am too. I agree, he’s a big boy now, he can start eating more real food. Now, where is it that he bit you? You need me put some herbs on it?’

‘Don’t make this as an excuse for you to be naughty in the morning, Oppa~’

(Soondeok teases her husband)

‘Ya, Deok ah~ I’m not! I’m just concerned about you…’

(Eun pouts from his wife’s accusation)

‘I know~ Oppa~ I’m just teasing you~~~ I’m fine now actually. Now, why don’t you take care of him while I go downstairs to make breakfast. When do you have to go to work today?’

‘Captain said I can go back in the afternoon today.’

‘Lovely! That means you can take care of him while I do the gardening and the laundry!!!! Oh thank heavens!’

‘If you want, I can bring Ho with me to work to give you a break every now and then, Deok ah, it’s no trouble at all.’

‘Na, that won’t be necessary. I’d worry more about him if he’s not close to me…Thanks for offering the help though, Oppa, that was sweet of you~’

‘Darling~ Don’t forget! Morning kiss~’

(Eun sticks his lips out while placing Ho on his belly. Soondeok gives him a big kiss before getting out of bed.)

‘Muah! And while you’re at it, change his napkin too please Oppa~ I think he just did a huge one.’

------------------------------

‘I’m home~’

(Eun announces as he enters the house, welcomed by Soondeok’s head popping out from the kitchen)

‘Honey! Welcome home! Dinner’s just about ready.’

‘Here, let me take care of Ho now. You’ve worked hard today darling.’

(The loving husband gives his sweaty wife a soft kiss while taking his son from her, liberating her shoulders and back at last.)

‘Thanks darling~ How’s work today?’

‘Great! Oh, I’ve bought something back!’

(Eun takes a bell out from his pocket)

‘A bell?!’

‘Yeah~ For Ho. Since he’s crawling about everywhere now, I thought it’d be best we hook him up with this, you know, so we’ll know where he’s at even when we’re not looking.’

‘Well…I suppose it could work for a dog but on a kid, you sure about this honey?’

(Soondeok doubts)

‘We can at least let Ho have a go with it~ Who knows, maybe he’ll like this little bell. Right my boy? You like this bell, huh? You like the sound of it huh? No, don’t put it in your mouth, I haven’t washed it yet. No no no, don’t put it in your mouth pumpkin. Here, how about you come play with daddy while mum finishes off dinner for us, hmm?’

(Soon dinner’s ready. They sit around the table to enjoy their meal – nothing extravagant but absolutely filling. Ho now can join the adults during mealtime, sitting on his very own high chair made by Old Gu a few weeks back. The little boy now has his very own bowl of pureed food to dig into and occasionally, Soondeok would cook up some softened vegetable for him to munch on as well. Of course, you can’t expect a 7-month-old to eat elegantly at the table, no, in fact, his parents have now shifted bathing time after dinner purely for the fact that he’d always end up getting himself into a messy state after each meal.)

‘Ho yah, dear, how’d you like your meal today? Mummy added some extra carrots in there for you today~’

‘DA! Eeeh! MmmmA!’

(Ho babbles as he shows his appreciation to his mother. Eun giggles.)

‘Dude, you should learn to eat with a spoon! Aigoo look at your hands!’

(As if Ho understands his father’s concern, he quickly grabs the spoon he has put aside since the beginning of the meal with his short and fat fingers and then starts hitting the table with it. That, of course, led to a disaster as his spoon hits the edge of his bowl and the entire thing topples over. Luckily, or rather unluckily, most of its content has already been spilled by the little artist beforehand but the notion that Ho can now use a tool to do something unexpected made Ho and both his parents shocked entirely.)

‘Deok ah! I think our boy will grow up to be an awesome drummer!’

‘Thank you, Mr. Baek, for looking at this with a positive light. Meanwhile all I can think about is the tedious cleaning up work I have before me tonight…’

‘Oh darling, leave that to me. Since Ho and I are done, I’ll give him a bath and help him change first. I’ll clean this mess up afterwards.’

‘But you had a tiring day today.’

‘Not as tired as you. I had a nap at work today so I’m fine but I doubt you’re able to catch a wink today.’

‘You’re right…Ho usually takes a nap every 3 hours or so but for some reason he seemed extra energetic today…’

‘Well, that’s a good thing, no? That means he probably won’t wake up in the middle of the night then!’

‘I suppose you’re right, Oppa. I’ll boil some water for you guys, wait here.’

‘Ho yah, you need to behave, okay? Your mummy’s tired taking care of you. I know you’re an artist but please try to eat like a gentleman tomorrow, okay?’

‘BA! Geeee! Da!’

 

(Little Ho nods. Though he’s been having trouble controlling his muscles, he’s slowly getting the hang of it. Oh yes, he’s been practicing, like opening up and closing his palms, like raising his arms high in the air when he wants his mummy to pick him up, like keeping his back straight when he’s sitting on his bum, like kicking his way across the floor when on his belly. Soon he’d master all those skills and make his parents proud. Soon, very soon.)

------------------------------

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6b4a694c7349745350546b3559513d3d2d313234363638303430372e313730313636313036373035376338303437323134313336343437332e706e67

‘Isn’t he lovely, darling? I love it when he sleeps…watching him sleep in peace like this…truly washes all the thoughts away after a long tiring day.’

‘He takes after his father.’

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f436a6c4f56534174726d6f5143673d3d2d313234363638303430372e313730313636316631313437613861373935323033393032333336332e6a7067

(Soondeok whispers as she places her hand on her son, feeling his little heart beating, feeling his chest rising with each breath.)

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6248567a744242667372734234773d3d2d313234363638303430372e313730313636313532613933666639383638323537343339373330302e706e67

‘He’s growing so fast, Deok ah…you think we’re gonna be good parents?’

‘Well, it’s a bit too late for that conversation don’t you think, Oppa?’

(The young mother laughs, and Eun too laughs. It’s not because what she said was funny, but because he’s able to see his wife laugh after that long tiring day…a sad one too. Soondeok’s sensed Eun’s heavy heart since his return so she asks with concern.)

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f742d65482d67516b7653467573773d3d2d313234363638303430372e313730313636326230333032623861373630333837333433393234342e706e67

‘Now that Ho’s asleep, you mind telling me what happened at work today Oppa?’

‘Nothing special.’

(Eun tries to change the subject but Soondeok reaches out her hand and softly holds onto Eun’s arm. The husband sighs.)

‘I…umm…heard a rather heart-breaking news today at work…I’m not sure if I should share it with your or not.’

‘Of course you should, Oppa, it’s always better for two people to carry the burden of a news than one.’

‘Yes I know, and if it’s any other news I would’ve told you first thing when I got back…but this is different…this is…quite…hurting for…you.’

(Soondeok’s heart sinks.)

‘It’s…it’s not news for Goryeo is it? It’s not news about father, right?’

‘No, it’s not about father…he’s still alive or so I’ve heard. No, it’s about a colleague of mine. You see, he set sail on one of our ships about 2 moons ago and he probably won’t be back till end of summer. Today at work, we heard that his wife gave birth to their first born…and passed away after 2 days.’

‘Oh dear!’

‘That’s why I was reluctant to tell you this…anyway, the problem now is that his wife’s family is in Goryeo and my colleague won’t be back for a while. My colleague’s mother has just passed away last year so there’s no one on this island related to him that can take care of the newborn baby girl…’

(A long silence)

‘Oppa, what say we take care of her till her father comes back?’

‘What? You serious?!’

‘Ho’s weaning soon and I’ve still got milk. I can’t fathom the idea of that poor baby girl not being able to grow up drinking milk that’s necessary for her growth and health.’

(Eun sits up)

‘Deok ah, I know you’re trying to help, but this is no simple matter. It’ll be like taking two babies at the same time! You’re already stressed-out taking care of Ho alone, how would you be able to handle two babies by yourself while I’m away?!’

‘The Gu’s can come over and help, they’re always so helpful I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. Oppa, I know it sounds odd but I really want to help this little girl, the way I would’ve wished someone has helped me after my mother passed away…it may not be for long, but I like to do what I can.’

(Silence again.)

‘You sure you’ve thought this through, Deok ah? You sure you want to do this?’

‘Yes Oppa, I do.’

(Eun gives a nod)

‘Well, if you’re okay with it, who am I to object? I’ll try to spend more time at home to help you more if I can then. Who knows? Maybe it’ll be good for Ho to have a little sister to play with in this house. I’ll talk to captain tomorrow.’

‘Where’s the baby staying at now?’

‘Captain’s home. But he obviously can’t keep her there for long, he’s got enough children of his own to worry about.’

‘Bring the little girl back tomorrow, if possible, I’ll arrange everything with Mrs. Gu first thing in the morning.’

(Eun gives Soondeok’s hand a soft and gentle kiss.)

‘You’re an angel, Deok ah, I have many things yet to learn from you.’

‘It’s all because I have a loving and supportive husband~ Good night~’

‘Uh, does that mean sleepless nights are back?’

(Eun sighs)

‘Didn’t you say you’d like more kids? That’s a cost you must pay.’

‘Let’s just hope the baby will learn a thing or two from Ho and sleep through the night.’

‘In your dreams, Oppa.’

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f764d41626138734374436e6b74773d3d2d313234363638303430372e313730313636333037363731353962383434313033393930373133302e706e67

[Note from author: Sorry for taking so long to update guys! I'll try to update more often this summer!~]