Sailing Home

Diary Entry - Eundeok Parenting Life (Baekhera)

Dear Diary,

Well! It's been a while, hasn't it? Captain gave me this notebook today and said that I could keep it, kind of like a present for finishing my training competently, he said. Oh right, I should mention that it's been 6 months since I've last seen my wife, a painful reminder. I've been away this whole time you see, sailing through the vast ocean during winter, not a comfortable thing to do, but after this training of spending 6 months at the sea, I'll be able to get a job in this merchant line's shop back at home in Tamra and I'll be able to earn enough for us every single month! And guess what? The merchant line hired me because I could read and write! All those years of hard work finally paid off! And I NEVER again have to recite any quotes from the classical books, to that I'm extremely grateful!

I sound too excited, don't I? Well, I can't help it! It's been so long since I could write a diary for myself - my wife wouldn't let me write one after our escape, she said it costs too much to buy ink and stuff...and she didn't want people to know that we can read and write...but anyway! The reason I'm so excited now it's because we're almost home! Tamra! I can see Tamra now as I look out the deck, and we should be able to reach the shore in half a day! Just think about it! I could finally be in my wife's embrace after these 6 long and tough months!!!! I'd like to swim there now if I could, but I suppose the ship would be faster. Besides, I'm not exactly a good swimmer myself.

I'm glad the training's over, it's been a harsh one, my hands are all cracked and dry now...but I think Soondeok will praise me for working this hard. I've got to say, I've earned myself some muscles too, she ought to like it~ Oh I just can't wait to be home. I wish everything's gone alright with my wife along with Mr. and Mrs. Gu. I'm sure the old couple living next door had taken good care of her during my absence, but my wife never did like getting help from others unless necessary and I could imagine the winter's quite a challenge back home because I can still see snow on the top of Tamra and that's where our house is. Glad I bought some nice warm clothes and blankets back from this trip. I miss our house, the different rooms, the huge living room and the garden~ She didn't like the idea of me travelling at first, but I suppose she also understood how challenging our lives would be if we don't find a way to make enough money now that we're no longer 'with a status'.

Oh, and you would not believe! I've travelled rather far! First, we went to the south, then to the west, then back to the east, then to the north and...oh you might be confused, but it doesn't matter, anyway, I've met so many people in so many places and everything's so interesting! I'd like to go back one day, but not by sea, heavens, the first few days at sea was hell for me...thought now I'm pretty fine since I've got used to it. Oh Soondeok ah, my dear Deok ah...how I missed calling you by your name. To be honest I'm still getting used to our new names, mine being 'Hyun' and my wife's being 'Ran'. The captain just summoned all of us to gather in his room, got to go!

The captain just summoned all of us to gather in his room, got to go!