Chapter 32

The Mugunghwa Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***

Four days after Seungwan left The Palace.

Taeyeon was out since morning to attend to The King’s order. She was delivering some documents to the royal institution when she got a message from Jaemin that Princess Joohyun refused to eat again, and that the latter said she’ll eat if Taeyeon come to meet her.

The young secretary sighed desperately.

 

She’s so busy keeping her eyes on the coronation’s preparations, leading the ground zero team, and coordinating with the insiders that she hasn’t had time to visit the young princess yet. She had doubled the security around Taejong Hall to ensure the latter’s safety but she forgot that Princess Joohyun wasn’t someone who would stay still like a weak maiden.

 

**

 

Gojong Hall.

 

“Jeonha, I have delivered the documents.”

 

The King nodded. He was currently reading a book but it seemed that his mind was occupied with something else.

 

“Jeonha, are you feeling under the weather? I will call The Palace's doctor.”

 

“I’m fine, Taeyeon.” The King shook his head. “How’s the preparation for the coronation? Any problem?”

 

Taeyeon and all the other secretaries were heavily involved in the ceremony’s preparation.

 

“No, Jeonha. Everything is perfect.”

 

The King nodded again. “You’re always doing a great job.”

 

Taeyeon bowed respectfully.

 

“Do you have anything else to report?”

 

The young secretary quickly looked up. “Jeonha, I apologize for asking this but what about the rumor that has been going on inside The Palace?”

 

“Which one?”

 

“About Taenyeo.”

 

“We shouldn’t worry ourselves with baseless rumors. It’ll die down eventually.”

 

Taeyeon gripped the paper in her hand. “What will happen to Taenyeo?” she bravely asked.

 

“Nothing will happen to her. She’ll be back after the coronation. PM Kwon has arranged everything perfectly,” The King answered. “Everything will be back to normal after the coronation.”

 

Taeyeon sighed inwardly. She couldn’t fathom why The King blindly trust PM Kwon with everything.

 

“Anything else?”

 

Taeyeon knew that it was her cue to leave but still she asked one more thing.

 

“Joohyun-wangnyeo’s guard told me that she refused to eat. She’s very sad about everything that happened to Taenyeo and the rumor that is going on around The Palace. I would suggest sending her back to her family house for a while, Jeonha. It’ll help her to soothe her mind while waiting for Taenyeo’s comeback.”

 

The King pondered but Taeyeon didn’t let him have any doubt.

 

“If you let me, I’ll speak to her and arrange the ride back to her place. I believe she’ll feel better resting in her place with her family.”

 

The King nodded. “Go ahead. Send her back to her family until the coronation is done.”

 

Taeyeon lowered her head once again. She had to appear not too close to people from The Taejong Hall because it’ll cause suspicion, especially after the rumor, is spread but she couldn’t let the young princess starve to death waiting for her so she needed The King’s order to visit the latter.

 

**

 

Taeyeon walked along the corridor with two guards from Gojong Hall behind her. A few maids who were tasked to work in Taejong Hall were terrified to see her, they thought that she came with The King’s order considering she was not coming alone.

 

Taeyeon spotted Joohyun’s personal maid carrying untouched meals standing beside one of the big pillars. She walked to her and said, “I’m carrying The King’s message, please tell Wangnyeo that secretary Kim Taeyeon wants to speak with her.”

 

Chaeyoung quickly nodded as she passed the tray to another maid before hurriedly going inside the hall.

 

Taeyeon kept her face straight while staring at all the maids who immediately lowered their heads upon catching her stare. Even though she wasn’t a royal, he held a high position inside The Palace so they all respected her just like how they respected the royal members.

 

A moment later, Chaeyoung was back and told Taeyeon that Princess Joohyun is ready to meet her.

 

“Who stays inside beside Wangnyeo?”

 

“R … royal guard Jaemin.”

 

Taeyeon nodded and told the guards beside her, “You two wait here. Nobody is allowed to go inside until I’m done talking with Wangnyeo. Understand?”

 

“Yes, secretary Kim.”

 

The guards nodded and stood in front of the main door staring down at all the maids who started whispering to each other.

 

**

 

Taejong Hall.

 

Upon entering the hall, Taeyeon immediately sensed a potent killing aura emitted from the beautiful young princess who was sitting while crossing her arms on the sofa.

 

Her face was devoid of any emotion and her gaze was as sharp as a knife, and at that moment, Taeyeon knew she was screwed.

 

I only rejected her calls, 4 times? or 5 times?? I don’t remember. I was so busy.

 

The young secretary sighed. Last time in Anyang Hospital, Princess Joohyun asked her not to piss her off again and now she did it, pissing her off.

 

She lowered her head and bowed respectfully in front of the young princess.

 

“Good evening, Joohyun-wangnyeo. I’ve heard you’re refusing to eat. Why is that?”

 

“You know why Secretary Kim, so don’t waste my time.”

 

At times like this, Taeyeon found that the latter really embodied her role as a Princess, even though her tone is frightening but Taeyeon is quite used to it. Having been working for the royals for more than 7 years had trained her to be someone who isn’t bothered by such things, well, at least from the outside.

 

The young secretary bowed once again before preceding to tell her about The King’s order.

 

“I’m here to bring order from King Seungjo. His Majesty has heard about your condition thus he wants you to go back to your family’s place while waiting for Taenyeo’s return.”

 

Joohyun scoffed. “No, I won’t go anywhere. Cut the crap Kim Taeyeon, tell me what I need to know!”

 

Taeyeon tried again with a louder voice this time. “This is King Seungjo’s order. You have to follow, Wangnyeo. I will personally send you to go back to your place.”

 

“I said I won’t go anywhere!”

 

Joohyun shouted loudly, making Jaemin who stood beside the sofa flinched. Meanwhile, Taeyeon was so sure that the guards along with a few maids outside must’ve heard it.

 

Do I need to beg?

 

Taeyeon took three steps closer before kneeling down and lowering her tone. “This is for your safety, please follow.”

 

Joohyun remembered what Seungwan asked her, to follow Taeyeon but no, she won’t do it unless Taeyeon gave her what she wanted to hear.

 

“No. My mother is not at home so there won’t be any difference if I’m here or there. I just need to know, what the is going on? Why are you staying still when your crown princess is in danger??”

 

Taeyeon exhaled. This is harder than she thought.

 

“I know your mother isn’t at home, Wangnyeo. So no, you’re not going home. You’re going to where the rest of Taenyeo’s team are staying, Ground Zero.” She whispered the last part carefully. She intended to explain it later when they’re not inside The Palace anymore but it seems that Princess Joohyun won’t go anywhere unless she explains so she has no choice.

 

Joohyun had heard about the place, twice, one time when Seungwan talked on her phone and another time when the latter talked to Seulgi, so this Ground Zero place must be important.

 

“And what I’m gonna do there? Pray for my dear wife to come back?”

 

Jaemin choked but quickly composed himself.

 

“Tell me why do I have to follow you? Based on how you act these days, I doubt you’re still on Taenyeo’s side.”

 

“I’m always on Taenyeo’s side.” Taeyeon took out the mugunghwa bracelet and showed it to the young princess.

 

“If you’re doubting where my loyalty is then you’re doubting Taenyeo. The one who gave me this bracelet.” Taeyeon put the bracelet back into her pocket again. “Everything is planned by Taenyeo, even I only do as what she said, to keep you safe, Wangnyeo. So if you want to help her with her mission, follow me.”

 

Joohyun was surprised when she saw The Bracelet with the ‘SW’ symbol engraved on it. The young princess frowned. Why on earth Seungwan gave her bracelet to Taeyeon??

 

“Why did she give you her bracelet?”

 

“Taenyeo only asked me to keep it when she’s gone.” Half-lying, the young secretary kept her sight on the ground.

 

Strange.

 

But Joohyun has a more important thing in her mind, “Taenyeo told me that you’ll tell me everything I needed to know. I’ll decide whether I leave or stay, no one can force me to do anything against my will. Not even King Seungjo.”

 

What a match made in heaven. Why do they like to go against the rule so much??

 

After Sighing for the nth time, Taeyeon lifted her head. “I will make it short, Wangnyeo, because the guards outside will be suspicious if I spend too much time here.”

 

“Look, I’ve been asking you since 10 minutes ago but you keep delaying it!” Joohyun's frown deepened. Clearly displeased with the young secretary in front of her.

 

“Taenyeo wanted to protect Seulgi so she let herself be taken with the guards. As long as her status as the crown princess is maintained, she’ll be okay. Nobody will dare to lay a hand on her unless they want to be punished by The King. King Seungjo has made it clear that Taenyeo and Seulgi are not guilty of anything until it is proven by the law.”

 

“And how can I believe his words? He didn’t even do anything to put down the rumor about Taenyeo. Even the accident, there’s no progress about the investigation till now!”

 

“You don’t have to believe him but believe in Taenyeo. That’s what keeps me going,” Taeyeon replied.

 

“I have one more question.”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“What will happen on the coronation night?”

 

Taeyeon contemplated for a while on how much should she tell the young princess.

 

“We’re going to stop the ceremony and disclose corruption within The Palace and also all the people behind it. Prince Seunghoon will take the throne.”

 

“And Taenyeo?”

 

“Taenyeo will lead us on the mission.” That’s what Taeyeon hoped, that the young royal would come back and lead them by then.

 

“So, she will come back on the coronation night? How is she gonna back?”

 

“That’s more than one question, Wangnyeo.”

 

“Answer me. This is an order.”

 

It has just been 8 months and she already acted like Taenyeo. She’ll be more difficult to handle in the future. Taeyeon felt like she aged so much these days. Not even a salary raise can help her situation.

 

“I can’t say anything because the only one who knows how is Taenyeo but please ease your worry, Seulgi is with her. She will protect Taenyeo and bring her back safely.”

 

“Do you think I’m stupid? How can Seulgi bring her back by herself? The place where Taenyeo is kept must be closely guarded!”

 

“We won’t stay still either,” Taeyeon replied desperately. “A team will be formed to save her.”

 

Joohyun was lost in her thought for a moment, pondering whether she should go or stay in The Palace.

 

Then, she clicked her teeth. “I will believe your words, for now, Kim.”

 

I should follow her. I can’t do anything here anyway. I’m practically kept here just like my wife. Maybe I’ll get something there.

 

**

 

All the maids stared at Taeyeon and Joohyun when they walked out of the hall along with Jaemin behind them.

 

The guards immediately stood in front of the young princess when Chaeyoung tried to reach the latter. Joohyun wanted to protest but Taeyeon stopped her.

 

“Joohyun-Wangnyeo will be resting in her family’s place for a while due to her health problem so please refrain to spread any false rumor.” Taeyeon said in front of all the maids, “or you’ll have to talk with me in Gojong Hall. Do you understand?”

 

“Yes, Secretary Kim.”

 

Joohyun raised her eyebrows as she wondered, she’s quite powerful here.

 

**

 

At the same time, the building where Seungwan was kept away.

 

“The food and drink are safe,” Seulgi said after tasting the meals in front of her. Taenyeo is right, they didn’t try to kill her. But I still need to keep my guard up. She thought.

 

“Eat a lot, Seul.” Seungwan took a banana and she felt a pang in her heart.

 

Joohyun eats bananas every morning. I wonder if she’s doing okay. I’m really a bad wife. If she knew that I actually planned to get taken away. What will she do? Will she get angry?

 

Seeing the young royal who ate her banana absentmindedly, Seulgi asked, “Thinking about Wangnyeo?”

 

The young royal nodded.

 

“I won’t blame her if she leaves you again. In fact, I’ll personally drive her home this time.”

 

Seungwan smiled “Thanks for the mood booster. You really know how to cheer me up.”

 

“Pleasure, Taenyeo.” Seulgi rolled her eyes and stuffed herself with rice.

 

**

 

After they finished with their lunch. Seulgi knocked on the door to let the guards outside know.

 

A guard came & collected the tray and was about to turn around until Seungwan called him. “Hey Mr. Guard, I want to speak with PM Kwon.”

 

Seulgi’s eyes widened. What is she planning now?

 

“Nobody is allowed to leave this basement,” The guard bravely said.

 

“Then tell him that I want to meet him here. I have something important to say.”

 

“I have no access to meet him.”

 

Seungwan clicked her tongue. “Then you go and tell Sanghun, he is upstairs right? Tell him that I want to speak with PM Kwon.”

 

The guard looked torn.

 

“If PM Kwon misses this information that I’m about to tell, you’ll be the first one he kills. Not me.” Seungwan shrugged. “Your choice though.”

 

The guard was terrified and instantly nodded before closing the door.

 

**

 

“Taenyeo, what … ”

 

“I’ve been waiting for four days and I can’t wait anymore.” Seungwan cut Seulgi’s words. “I have to know whose behind my mother’s death. I need to confront PM Kwon.”

 

The young guard felt frustrated again. “What if Sanghun refuses?”

 

“He won’t.” Seungwan said confidently, “But you have to help me to convince Sanghun so PM Kwon will come to speak with me.”

 

Seulgi exhaled. “What do you want me to do?”

 

“Beat him.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I will provoke him and once he touches me. You beat him.”

 

“Taenyeo, why don’t we just beat him without waiting until he punches you first?”

 

Seungwan shook her head. “We have to make PM Kwon feel threatened. I need Sanghun to tell-tale.”

 

“I really hate it when you keep trying to hurt yourself, Taenyeo.”

 

“We kind of alike, don’t you think? I really hate it when you disobey me.” Seungwan rolled her eyes. “Do you want us to have a match here before he comes, Seul?”

 

“No. I’ll do as you wish.” Seulgi crouched down with a scowl on her face. Feeling so defeated. There’s no way she’ll waste her energy fighting Seungwan.

 

**

 

A moment later.

 

Sanghun came down and stood in front of Seungwan with a distasteful frown on his face.

 

“PM Kwon won’t come and meet you. Tell me what you have to say.”

 

Seungwan stood up from the wobbly chair and mocked him. “Why do I have to tell you?”

 

“Because in this mansion you don’t have any authority. I’m the one who has authority here.”

 

Seungwan laughed out loud. “So is this mansion not built in Korea?” then she stopped laughing, “As long as you’re standing in this country, you have no authority over me so stop this bull and call him here if you still want to stay alive.”

 

“Stay alive? Are you talking about yourself? Don’t you remember about the car incident?”

 

Seungwan brushed her hair arrogantly and smoothly slipped a few strands of hair behind her ear, deliberately touching her left earring.

 

“Oh, that one accident where you failed to kill me?”

 

“I didn’t fail to kill you! If only Taeja let me do as I want, you'll be dead by now!”

 

“I told you not to bring my brother’s name!”

 

“Stop pretending you are a good sister to him!” Sanghun got enough of Seungwan’s pretense. He knew better. The siblings never liked each other.

 

“What do you know about my family, huh? You’re just a guard!”

 

“What do I know? I know everything! After the coronation, you’ll no longer be breathing! So stop being arrogant and just enjoy your last days here!”

 

“King Seungjo won’t stay still.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter