Chapter 13

The Mugunghwa Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

**

 

Irene thought that she would meet Wendy today since they had to attend the dance class again but a royal secretary called her this morning and said that she would have to attend the dance class by herself.

 

Few hours alone with a nagging madam Hui? Ugh, the worst!

 

Fixing her dress in front of her mirror, she couldn’t help but let her mind wander over the young royal. Did something happen to her last night? Why did nobody tell me anything?? Well, yes, we are only pretending and I can’t ask about whatever happened last night, but Wendy should have the decency to text me or something!

 

No! The young woman scolded herself, “No Irene, it’s better this way. If you get to know what's happening around her, you won't be able to stay silent.”

 

She took her bag from the drawer and headed down to the car park thinking that she would need to drive herself today, only to find Jaemin and two other men that she didn’t know before, waiting for her beside a car with a royal flag on its hood.

 

“Good morning, agassi,” Jaemin greets her with a smile on his face.

 

“Uh yes… good morning. What are you doing here?” Irene looks at him confusedly, unconsciously, she tries to take a peek inside, to see whether Wendy is inside the car or not.

 

“From now on until the wedding day, I’m assigned to stay with you, agassi.” Jaemin takes out a formal letter with Seungwan’s signature on it.

 

So… she is okay. But still, no text whatsoever? That woman!

 

“ ...and who are they?” Irene pointed at two other guys who stood behind him.

 

Jaemin motioned the two other men to come closer, “This is Minkyu and Beom, they’re assigned by Jeonha to protect you as well.” Both of them showed their own letter, signed by The King.

 

“So, I’ll have three men following me around? Great, just great,” Irene clearly isn’t fond of the idea but she can’t take it out on Jaemin.

 

“I’ll be the one who will stay close to you as per taenyeo's request, while both of them will be guarding outside the building or any place you visit, including your workplace and your apartment.”

 

“Can I have a say in this?”

 

Jaemin shakes his head, “Unfortunately no. After last night’s incident, taenyeo wanted to assign guards for you.”

 

“Taenyeo… is she okay?”

 

“Aside from a bruise on her jaw and lips, she is okay.”

 

Irene nods quietly, “What about the rider?”

 

“He is dead.”

 

“Did taenyeo the one who…”

 

“No, a car crashed into him meanwhile taenyeo was able to save herself from the collision.”

 

A breath was caught in , so Wendy almost died last night.

 

“Agassi, we should get going now or you’ll be late for your dance class.”

 

“Y… yes,” Irene obediently gets into the car, meanwhile Minkyu and Beom followed them with motorbikes from behind.

 

“Please stay close to me whenever we’re out in public space,” Jaemin says as he is maneuvering the car on the road.

 

What the hell is happening?

Is someone going after Wendy?

But… Why did they attack me too??

 

*Gasps!* It’s the ex isn’t it??

 

Last night the motorbike was no doubt speeding on me… they attempted to hurt me! Wendy’s soon-to-be wife.

 

That’s why… that’s why the Palace upgraded their protection on me.

 

Wait... it must be one of her exes!

They don’t want Wendy with anyone, if they can’t be with her then better kill the bride or even Wendy.

 

… just what am I putting myself into??

 

**

 

A few hours later

 

Irene felt like dying, she just spent 10 hours perfecting her moves.

 

Madam Hui was really true to her words. Earlier the old woman told her, “I’ll stop teaching if I can’t make you a dancing Goddess in a month, Joohyun-agassi.” The young Bae was not only amazed but also utterly terrified by her spirit.

 

‘Do I really have to endure this for a month??’ She cried inwardly as she walked to the door.

 

Upon seeing Irene go out of the room, Jaemin quickly greeted her.

 

Irene frowned when she saw him still in the same place when she left him.

Did he wait outside for 10 hours??

 

“I told you to take a rest somewhere, right? Did you even have lunch?”

 

Jaemin smiles, realizing that both Joohyun and Seungwan are caring towards others in their own way. Joohyun is more vocal about it meanwhile Seungwan shows her care with action.

 

“I did, they prepared lunch for us as well, as per request by taenyeo.”

 

Oh, she is quite thoughtful… Irene thought.

 

“Taenyeo is waiting for you outside, agassi.”

 

“Is she?!” Wait, why did I sound so excited?

 

Irene unconsciously shrieked because she was surprised by the news but the young guard thought differently. He thought that Irene was so happy to see Seungwan again.

 

“Yes, her highness has been waiting there since an hour ago,” Jaemin happily informs her.

 

The young woman clears , “I see.”
 

**

 

Wendy leaned on her car, arms folded in front of her chest.

 

She looks, well yeah, dashing with sunglasses dangling on her nose and a warm smile on her face. Despite a plaster covering her jaw and nose, she still managed to turn everyone’s attention on her.

 

Irene saw a few people started taking the young royal pictures not so subtly, she gritted her teeth before plastering a fake smile on her face.

 

“Taenyeo, I wasn’t told that you’ll be here,” She says with a happy tone as soon as she stands closer to the young royal who playfully patted her own cheek, “It’s a surprise for you so maybe a kiss for being a good lover?”

 

Right… PDA

 

Everyone around them went oohs and ahhs upon witnessing the young royal getting her kiss from the other woman who was known as her soon-to-be wife.

 

“I hope everything will be going smoothly on your wedding day, your highness,” an old woman told them.

 

“Yes, thank you, ajumma,” Wendy bows a little, acknowledging her, leaving the crowd stunned because the princess just bowed to the old lady. A commoner.

 

“Aigoo, so respectful.”

 

Wendy smiles at the crowd for the last time before opening the door for Irene who tightly smiled at the crowd before going inside the car because she couldn’t stand everyone’s eyes on them.

 

She heard Wendy converse a little bit more before rounding the car and sitting beside her. Seulgi was in the driver's seat checking on the others guard through the side mirror.

 

“I thought you wouldn’t come today,” Irene says as she puts her seatbelt on.

 

“I have something to do earlier, a sudden meeting but I’m free now so here I am,” Wendy yawns, “Aren’t you glad to see me? Jaemin told me that you keep asking about my well-being, aww, you must be so worried.”

 

So… Jaemin reported everything, literally EVERYTHING to Wendy.

 

Irene looks at her with a frown on her face, “I was merely curious about your disappearance after the incident. I know I can’t ask about it but at least I deserve to know whether you’re alive or not.”

 

“Well, didn’t Jaemin tell you that I asked him to guard you? So I’m very much alive.”

 

“He did but hello? We have a cellphone for a reason, a text or two saying you’re okay is more appreciated rather than having someone delivering the news on the next day!”

 

An amused chuckle could be heard from the young royal, “If that’s what you want, sure I’ll text you more, Jagi.”

 

“Not more, only when it’s important.”

 

“But last night wasn’t important to you.”

 

“Last night was important!”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because… because it involved my safety too!”

 

“I assigned Jaemin to guard your apartment last night.”

 

“Oh… he did?” Irene shakes her head, not the point she wants to deliver, “I mean, I deserved to know whether they’re after me or after you?? I need to prepare myself for the worst.”

 

Seulgi glanced at them from the mirror, finding their banter amusing yet unnecessary. Wendy wouldn’t let anyone hurt the young Bae.

 

“You don’t need to prepare anything, I’ll handle everything for you. You just have to stick around Jaemin for the time being. You do know that people might be jealous of us, after all, we’re the talk of the nation right now.”

 

“You sure it’s not one of your exes attempting to murder me? You might have promised to marry them and yet you’re here with me. They must’ve thought that I’m stealing you away from them.”

 

Seulgi chuckled out loud before controlling herself, “I apologize, please carry on.”

 

“Try applying as a drama scriptwriter, I think you have an enormous talent for it,” Wendy laughed before adding, “and I never promised to marry anyone. It must be their own expectation.”

 

“That’s the problem! You unconsciously lead them in but in the end, you are going to marry someone else, how do you think they would feel??”

 

Wendy shrugs, “I don’t know, not my problem but rest assured it wasn’t one of my exes. None of them were crazy enough to hurt anyone around me. They know what I can do to them if they dare to.”

 

“But if it wasn’t your ex then who?” Irene can’t help but ask, she is worried for her own safety, “Are they after me too?”

 

“Listen, you don’t have to be afraid. I have everything under control. Last night was a mistake and it won’t happen again, you’re safe now, your family is safe too. I have assigned two guards to follow your mother just in case.”

 

“Tell me you’re not planning to do something illegal and actually against bad people.”

 

“No of course not,” Wendy smiles, assuring her “Just like I’ve told you before, some people may be jealous of our marriage.”

 

“Why are they jealous of us? Is it something to do with whatever you’re planning to get?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter