Chapter 20

The Mugunghwa Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***
 

Ground Zero

11.20 PM

 

“The files that you copied contained a virus, probably caused by the drive eraser. It’s a common practice, the virus locks the file so even if someone successfully retrieves the erased files, they won’t be able to open it,” Yerim explained while typing some queries through her keyboard.

 

“So … there’s nothing left inside?” Seungwan who was standing beside her asked the young woman dejectedly.

 

“I’m a genius, unnie,” Yerim smirked as she started praising herself, “There are a few files that can’t be saved since the damage is too severe but I have my own trick. Thanks to me, 80% of them, are all saved, ready for you to check.”

 

Seungwan’s smile bloomed, “I knew I can count on you!” She patted the younger girl's head.

 

“Thank you. I need a new set of CPU, will send the specification later.”

 

“Send with the headset that you want. You said you want a new one before, right?”

 

“Yes! Thank you, unnie!”

 

She’s so spoiled. Seulgi shook her head.

 

Yerim transferred the files to Seungwan’s iPad, “For safety, I password-protected the files, check my kakao message to find out, and don’t forget to change the password yourself unnie.”

 

“Okay,” Seungwan nodded, “Seulgi, ask Taeyeon unnie to meet me at K-restaurant tomorrow. I’ll be there by 7:00 PM.”

 

“Done,” Seulgi pocketed her phone, “I’ve sent a message to her.”

 

Seungwan was happy with their progress, “Thank you for all your hard work.” Then she looked to her youngest member, “Yerim, are you going to sleep here again?”

 

“Yes, I have a game competition later. Need a better internet connection.”

 

“Okay, Taeil will stay with you tonight.”

 

Seungwan retrieved her Ipad from Yerim and bid her goodbye. She has a lot of work and planning to do. The coronation is seven months away but she feels she has to gather all the proofs quickly. The sooner, the better.

 

**

 

Taejeong Hall, Next day.

 

Joohyun woke up by herself, well, it wasn’t unusual for her during weekdays and even weekends, but the other side of the bed was neat like it hasn’t been slept on.

 

Did Seungwan not come home last night?

 

A shiver crawled all over her body as her mind thought about Seungwan whereabouts.

 

The young woman didn’t even brush her hair before heading out of the room in a hasty step. Chaeyoung was already waiting for her, behind the door.

 

“Good morning, Wangnyeo. Do you want to have your bath now?”

 

“Later,” Joohyun waves her hand, “Did you see Taenyeo come last night?”

 

Chaeyoung shook her head, “I didn’t but this early morning I found her study room lit up. One of the guards told me that Taenyeo has been staying in the study room since she came back last night.”

 

Relief washed over her body. So, Seungwan was fine.

 

Before Joohyun could ask more, she spotted Seulgi. The latter was heading to the study room.

 

“Seulgi!”

 

“Good morning, Wangnyeo.” Seulgi bowed respectfully.

 

“Did Taenyeo spend the night in the study room?”

 

“Yes, she did.”

 

Joohyun frowned, “Is there anything urgent?”

 

“I’m not sure, Wangnyeo.” Seulgi was lying, Joohyun believed so, because there is no way she doesn’t know anything about the young royal.

 

“She needs to rest. She’s been working hard all through the week.”

 

“I agree,” Seulgi added, “Her highness, hasn’t slept since last night.”

 

Joohyun never stepped into Seungwan’s study room before. She had no business there anyway, besides she didn’t want to prod the young royal’s privacy but then Seungwan never said that she isn’t allowed to come into the room.

 

“I’ll check on her.” Joohyun waited for Seulgi’s reaction. She expected the latter wouldn’t let her, but surprisingly Seulgi just stayed quiet.

 

The young princess turned around and walked to Seungwan’s study room followed by her maid and the guard.

 

Seulgi expected Joohyun to knock on the door before opening the door but she was surprised when Joohyun just turned the knob and opened the door without warning. She and Chaeyoung quickly cast their eyes down. They are not allowed to see inside the room unless the royal told them to.

 

“Joohyun?”

 

Seungwan's surprised gasp was the last thing they heard before the door closed on their face. Joohyun did not give the two of them any chance to follow her, surprising Seulgi even more.

 

Since when did she become this bold?

 

**

 

Inside the study room.

 

Seungwan who was surprised by Joohyun’s sudden intrusion quickly closed her tabs. Although the other woman wouldn’t be able to take a peek because she was sitting behind the table, she was still wary. There were a few books scattered around her. The older woman would think that she did some reading instead of trying to find a loophole in financial reports and pilling proofs to support her plan.

 

“Yes, Jagi?”

 

“Seulgi told me you spent the night here.” Joohyun roamed her eyes around the room. The size was around their bedroom but it was so empty, with only one mahogany table, two chairs, and a medium-sized wooden filing cabinet in the room. Just a typical study room, what was Joohyun expecting?

 

“Am I allowed to come here?” She asked as she felt Seungwan’s questioning eyes on her.

 

The young royal raised her brows, “You are already inside. Why bother asking me now? Though it would be better if you can knock first before entering. What if I’m ?”

 

“Why would you be here?”

 

Seungwan shrugged before propping both of her hands on the table, “Is there something you need from me?”

 

Joohyun blinked her eyes, right, she didn’t think of anything.

 

When she saw the other side of the bed left untouched, she instantly felt worried. Especially after hearing the story about Seungwan’s mother who disappeared all night and was found dead the next day. Seulgi confirmed that the young royal had been up in her study room all night but she felt the need to check on the younger woman herself. She wanted to see if the latter was really inside the room. So she just barged in without thinking of anything.

 

Seeing Joohyun couldn’t give her any answer, Seungwan put her chin on top of her hands.

 

“Could it be because you miss me?”

 

“In your dreams.” Joohyun rolled her eyes as she crossed her hands, “Seulgi is worried that you locked yourself here all night.”

 

“Seulgi would tell me herself. You know she always voiced her opinion to me without any hesitations.” The young royal chuckled, “So what is this Son Joohyun? Why are you looking for me without even brushing your hair? Is that a drool on the corner of your lips?”

 

Joohyun wiped the side of her lips with a frown.

 

Fine.

 

“You disappeared all night. I thought …” something happened to you. Joohyun stopped, not sure whether she should say the words out loud.

 

But Seungwan got the point. She smiled slightly, “I won’t allow anything to happen to me.” Not before I get my revenge …

 

Seungwan closed the scattered books in front of her and set aside everything on the table before standing up.

 

After stretching a little, she said, “Thank you for reminding me that it’s already morning. I lose track of time whenever I’m reading something.”.

 

Seungwan didn’t even change her clothes. This ‘something’ must be so important, no way she was reading a novel here all night.

 

“What did you read? Seems interesting.” the young woman probed.

 

“Oh, just some finance books. You know since I’m working in the financial department now.”

 

“Right,” Joohyun wasn’t convinced at all but she decided to let it go and followed behind the latter, giving a last glance to the lone room.

 

**

02:00 PM

 

Seungwan was resting inside their bedroom when Sunhwa and her husband came unannounced to Taejong Hall.

 

Joohyun quickly greeted them while giving her a respectful bow. Then, she brought them to sit in the living room.

 

“Hoon orabeoni, it’s been a long time since we met.”

 

“Yes, I was tasked to Canada right away after your wedding,” Seunghoon laughed, “How’s life here? So far enjoying The Palace? I hope Sunhwa helps you a lot. I told her to stay here instead of following me.”

 

Oh … is that why Sunhwa keeps coming to check on me? They are really caring, unlike somebody else *cough* Sohee and her husband *cough*

 

“Yes, Sunhwa unnie helps me a lot around The Palace.” But enjoying this place? Not really.

 

Sunhwa wore a proud smile, “We are getting closer to each other.”

 

Yes, Joohyun wouldn’t mind getting closer to the older girl. Sunhwa and her husband were very nice to her, they welcomed her warmly. Joohyun rarely met the King and Queen unless she is summoned to visit them, so she doesn’t really know what they think of her but based on those positive news going around, she thought she did a good job.

 

“Where is Seungwan?” Hoon wandered his eyes around the hall.

 

“She is resting. She didn’t sleep last night.”

 

“Huh? Why?”

 

“She told me that she was up all night reading some finance books.”

 

Seunghoon nodded, “I didn’t think that she would be so into working in the financial department. I was wrong, I guess.”

 

“She is very diligent and hardworking.” Well, Joohyun didn’t make it up, Seungwan really takes her work seriously and does not lazy around even though she is a princess.

 

“I have no doubt. You should know that the staffs in the internal affairs department were so heartbroken when she moved.”

 

“I once thought that she didn’t take her work seriously because she always had time to meet me during work hours back then,” Joohyun sighed.

 

Seunghoon laughed again, “She just worked effectively. Her time management is admirable. Therefore, I was hoping that she would ask for a higher position in other departments but she only asked to be a staff instead. I wonder why. I mean I get it, she graduated from finance school but still, the finance department isn’t a very promising place for her career. She could do better somewhere else.”

 

“Why is that?” Joohyun was confused. She never gave much thought to Seungwan’s workplace.

 

“Well, my brother is the head of the department. Let’s just say that he dislikes it when his siblings get into his business. He’s a very sensitive person. I was very surprised when Seungwan requested to move there. I really think she should move elsewhere so she can have a brighter future.”

 

Hoo … So Seungwan was the one who insisted to work there.

What is the reason? Working as a mere staff seems so off for someone who claims that she looks for power and glory. Unless, there’s something there, something that she wants.

 

Seeing a quiet Joohyun, Seunghoon quickly added, “But don’t think too much about it. Seungwan is smart enough. She’ll be fine there.”

 

“Yes, Orabeoni,” Joohyun smiled, “Please have your drink, it’s a chrysanthemum tea.”

 

The three of them talked in such a calming atmosphere but there was one thing Joohyun wanted to know so she braced herself to ask her brother-in-law. Nothing to lose anyway.

 

“Hoon Orabeoni, yesterday I went to Queen’s Pond to take a breather. I didn’t know that Seungwan’s mother fell into the pond.” Joohyun stopped to examine Seunghoon’s expression, but the latter remained calm. He was hard to read, just like his sister.

 

“I take it that Seungwan never told you about how her mother left this world. Well, it was a painful experience for her so I understand,” Seunghoon sighed, “I wasn’t with her when the guards found Wanhee-eomoni’s body. I was tasked to attend an event and I immediately went home after I got the news.”

 

“It just hard for me to understand that eomoni would take a walk by herself by the pond, late night at that,” Joohyun told him.

 

“I couldn’t fathom either. Why would she go alone? All I know is that she had a big fight with Jeonha, a few days before. She must’ve felt sad and probably wanted to clear her mind that night when the incident happened.”

 

Does Seunghoon not think she is killed? Or is he just pretending?

 

Hoon added, “I just couldn’t understand why Jeonha sided with PM Kwon that night and went against his wife. Jeonha loved emmoni the most out of his wives. Even my mother sometimes got jealous.”

 

Huh? PM Kwon? Why was he mentioned?

 

“I never talked with PM Kwon before. I didn’t know that our family have a close relationship with him. Isn’t he running for the next president?”

 

Seunghoon sighed, “PM Kwon has been there long before Jeonha married Queen Soohyang. Yes, if everything goes on smoothly, he’ll be the next president and Min-hyungnim will be the King.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter