Royals

I'm the Devil and this is my hell, so I make the rules

Then.

There aren't many things Kai hates in life.

However…

The people Kai despises encountering while doing his job are the people with no regard for others and people who borrow money without the intention of paying it back. The person in front of him is both things. Kai can't even find this situation amusing in the slightest.

The man is kneeling in front of him, begging for his life and offering his own family as payment. As someone who was raised to protect his family at all costs, blood-related or not, Kai finds this behavior disgusting and he's sure everyone can tell. He rarely lets other people know when he's angry.

But with the way his eyebrow twitches and the visible vein in his forehead, he knows it's obvious how he's feeling.

This guy is the last one of the day, and Kai is honestly exhausted. He looks around him and even Minseok and Chanyeol look tired of the bull.

Taking a moment to look around the apartment, he sighs. It's hard to believe four people could fit in there, the place looked more like a shoebox than a place to live. Cracked walls, barely any furniture, and the open concept was taken to the extreme. With the amount of money this man borrowed, one would think they would have better living conditions. Although considering he just offered his family as payment, Kai doesn't think either of them saw the money he borrowed.

He sighs again, the man’s sniveling was giving him a headache. "I'm tired. Minseok." Kai turns to look at his assistant and the man in question pulls out a bag.

The man turns pale, his entire body shakes as he sees the imminent future in front of him. "Mr. Kim, I promise I'll pay you. I just need more time. I swear." He crawls, holding on to one of Kai's legs with shaky hands, a beat of sweat falling down the man’s face

"Usually, I'm generous enough to provide more time, but a man who gives his family away doesn't deserve any mercy." Kai steps away from the man, shaking his grip from his pants leg. Tone flat, icy stare to match. He’s seen enough of this. "All yours Minseok."

He walks outside of the apartment where several of his men are waiting. He sees the family of the piece of garbage, standing in the corner. They're holding on to each other for dear life, the mother telling her two kids that everything will be okay, even though her hands are shaking. She brushes their hair back with affection.

No doubt thinking that in some way they’re going to share the same fate at the end of a gun as the man who’d sell them to save his own skin.

Kai feels nostalgic. He glances at his brother, who just nods and approaches them. He was sure they could find them a better place to stay, perhaps a better job. Kai stands by the stairs, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and quickly lighting one.

Chanyeol then approaches him. "Sir, we have company."

Kai takes a big puff, letting out a sigh along with the smoke. "Who?"

"Do Kyungsoo, sir." Chanyeol's expression doesn't change one bit. 

Kai smiles and nods.

It wasn't long before the man appeared walking up the stairs, followed by his team. He doesn't look surprised to see Kai there, however; he doesn't look pleased either. The large black coat hanging from his shoulders covers his figure, although Kai knows there’s a perfect three-piece suit underneath.

“Kim.” He says as he reaches the top of the stairs. His eyes take a quick scan around the place.

“Do,” Kai chuckles, his fingers play with the cigarette for a bit. “Are you here for Mr. Lee? If that’s the case, you can see if you get anything from him before my men kill him.”

“He owed you money too?” Kyungsoo sighs, leaning against the railing. His eyes land on Kai’s cigarette with a frown.

“He did.” Kai notices the way Kyungsoo puts some distance between them. He throws his cigarette on the ground and steps on it. “They’re taking care of him now.”

Kyungsoo turns to Baekhyun, who nods and heads inside the apartment. “Wasted time.”

“You could say… but since I saw you it wasn’t so wasted,” Kai smirks. The other man shakes his head.

“Funny.”

Jongin approaches the two. He glares at Kyungsoo before turning to his brother. “All taken care of.”

Kai nods. “Good.”

Some of their men the family out. The lady sends Kai a grateful look. Kyungsoo frowns at the scene.

“What are you doing with them?” He turns to the twins.

“Making sure they don’t have to be near that trash of a husband and father anymore,” Kai sighs. He wants another cigarette. “They deserve better.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes soften slightly at the words. They stand in silence for a moment until Minseok walks out of the apartment. There’s not a single drop of blood on him, although both Kai and Jongin know that’s not the case for the man inside.

“Boss, should I finish him?” His tone is so casual that anyone would think he’s discussing the weather or a baking recipe.

Kai shakes his head. “Leave him to Mr. Do here, I’m sure he has some questions about his money too.”

Minseok nods and heads back inside. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo glances at Kai, looking amused.

“Are you sure he’ll be able to answer?” He asks.

Kai smiles. “That depends on him.”

“I’ll wait downstairs,” Jongin says, before heading to the stairs. He walks past Kyungsoo without sparing another glance.

“Why, Mr. Kim… had too much of my lovely presence already?” It is not often that Kyungsoo teases anybody, but for some reason Jongin makes him want to badly.

They only hear a groan as Jongin skips steps in his attempt to get downstairs faster.

"It was a pleasure seeing you too!" Kyungsoo yells after him, making Kai laugh.

"You really like to push his buttons."

Kyungsoo shrugs. "Can't say I don't enjoy it. Do you think he'll explode eventually?"

"Oh, he will." Kai chuckles, watching Minseok and Chanyeol leave the apartment. "Well, Mr. Do… it was a pleasure. Hope we run into each other like this more often."

"Yeah, I hope we won't."

Kai smiles as he walks towards his team. "We both know that's not true."

Kyungsoo waits until they're gone before he turns to Baekhyun and Jongdae. "Okay, let's get started."

.*.*.*.

The one thing Kai loves the most about his relationship with Do Kyungsoo is the constant back and forth they've been having over the years. Of course, at first it was a lot more serious, given the competitive mode Kai seemed to be on constantly. He was out to get him, and it took him a while to understand that Kyungsoo was not the enemy.

Having a father who was very hard to please, both Kai and Jongin decided they would do whatever it took to keep the Kim family name where it was and take it beyond their father's expectations. Back then, the name Do Kyungsoo was a direct threat to what he was building, or so he thought. He did everything he could to overpower him, which eventually led him to believe he had to get rid of him.

Although, getting rid of Do Kyungsoo was not a simple task, and he proved it so over the years. He never expected Kyungsoo to just sit by and do nothing. He would retaliate as anybody else would. However, getting rid of them was just as challenging.

So, they went back and forth for a while, their attempts gradually lowering in intensity and at the end, it was just a fun game.

At least that's the way Kai saw it.

The cat and the mouse, only that there were two cats and no mouse.

Kai thought he would stop when he didn't find it fun anymore. However, the longer it went, the less inclined he felt to stop, although that did not prevent him from changing the rules. Because that's what Kim Kai does best, and that's why he sent Kyungsoo an arrangement of his favorite flowers. He was excited, just imagining the confusion on the other man's face. The questioning, the doubt.

Why did he send it?

What does this mean?

Where's the catch ?

He almost wishes he was there to witness it in person, but he knows he can only ask for so much.

The game became even more interesting when Kai received a call that afternoon. He smirked when he was informed of the caller's identity.

"So, I suppose you received my gift." Kai says before the other gets to say anything. He waits patiently for a response.

"I did…" Kyungsoo's voice is soft and melodic over the phone. Hypnotic, but also cautious.

“And you must be curious.” Kai can’t hold back a smile. He stands, walking around the office like a nervous teenager when his crush calls. He hears nothing on the other end for what feels like forever.

“I am.”

“Hmm,” He laughs. “Nothing wrong with sending the enemy some flowers from time to time.”

“I see.” It takes a moment, but the slightly amused tone does come out. “I guess by that logic there should be nothing wrong with inviting the enemy to have dinner tonight.”

Kai freezes, his hand squeezing the phone. Is he saying what he thinks he’s saying? Could they even have dinner together? Taking Jongin would be challenging, but not impossible. He can do it. “Well, you know what they say. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”

Kyungsoo hums. “Then I’ll see you at seven.” And with that, he hangs up.

Kai holds the phone against his chest, leaning against the wall and staring at the ceiling, unable to hold back his smile. That’s what he liked about him, that he could so easily keep up with Kai’s humor and mindset, the way he knows how to respond interestingly. He’s definitely something else. He holds in a snicker while putting the phone down. “See you then.”

Kyungsoo’s house is nothing like either of them would imagine. As soon as they set foot inside, both felt a completely different energy from what they thought the other man would be like. It was very warm and earthy. Kai surely did not expect this.

Everywhere he looked, there was an additional detail that gave away a part of him.

Of course, Jongin is upset about the whole idea, however, he insisted on going because according to him it was his job to protect his brother. Kai, though, knew he had other interests in mind. They’re let in by one of Kyungsoo’s assistants and he leads the way towards the kitchen, where they find no one other than Do Kyungsoo in all his glory, wearing an apron, cutting some vegetables, and tasting the food on the stove.

“Well, isn’t this a homey look?” Kai mentions. He tries to hide his surprise, but he has a feeling he’s not doing a good job. “Honey, I’m home.”

Kyungsoo chuckles as he looks up at them. “Good evening, gentlemen.”

“Good evening,” Kai nods. “I must say I’m surprised you invited us here.”

Kyungsoo shrugs. “What’s the trouble in trying to keep good relations?”

“None.” Kai sits on a stool, watching Kyungsoo move around his kitchen with ease. He’s wearing a white turtleneck and jeans under the apron and somehow it makes him even more attractive. “I find this entertaining, even when my brother was skeptical.”

“I can sympathize with that… I was skeptical when you sent me flowers.” He gestures at the vase holding the beautiful flowers and sitting by the window. Kai smiles when he sees it.

He kept them.

At the very least, he expected for those to be thrown away, but there they were. Standing tall and proud. Being part of the space.

"I thought it would be funny to send harmless flowers for no reason." Kai shrugs with a smile. They both take a moment to look around the place. They don't see any pictures of Kyungsoo, just art, and other decorative pieces. However, that doesn't take away from the overall feel of the house, it doesn't feel impersonal. "You have a lovely house, by the way."

"Thank you," the other replies, taking a few plates over to the table. "Dinner is served."

They head over to sit down, and Kai has to admit it looks and smells delicious. "Thank you for this meal." Before he can start eating, Jongin pushes him back and takes a bite first. Kai just chuckles and leans back in his chair, waiting for him to be done.

Kyungsoo crosses his arms. "You could've asked me to taste it if you were unsure."

Kai smiles. "You'll have to forgive him. This is something we do everywhere. He takes my security seriously."

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, showing them the unopened bottle of wine before he serves it as well. "Can't blame him."

Kai finally takes a bite, and his eyes widen at the taste. It's the type of food you could easily find in restaurants without losing the homemade feeling of it. The man is full of surprises. "This is delicious. I didn't know you were such a wonderful cook."

"There are a lot of things you don't know about me." There's a confident smirk on his face that does not leave as the other man takes a bite of his food.

Kai's eyes sparkle.

"I suppose so." he takes a sip of his wine. It's excellent as he expected. "Rivalry doesn't always allow conversation."

"It doesn't… flowers, however, do." Kyungsoo chuckles.

Part of Kai is excited about this. About being in his house, talking to him. About understanding him more. Seeing the little details that make Do Kyungsoo who he is and that probably other people will never get to see in their lives. "So, what is there to know about Do Kyungsoo? I'm curious."

"That's a privilege to earn." Kyungsoo swirls his glass before taking a sip. He glances back and forth between Kai and his silent twin.

"Interesting."

"Didn't think you would be." Kyungsoo says. "Interested in me, I mean."

"I'm interested in several things. You are one of them." Kai replies.

"Should I feel flattered?"

Kai shrugs. "It's fun trying to understand the way your mind works, figure it out, predict your moves…" he smiles. "Like right now. Part of me considered this could be an opportunity to kill me."

"Yet here you are." Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow.

"Yet, here we are. I took a bet, and I won." Kai chuckles. "Even when I stress my brother a bit. He dislikes it when I take things lightly."

"By 'things' you mean your own life?" Jongin speaks for the first time in a while. He has been eating in silence. Kyungsoo can tell, however, that his walls are all the way up. He's tense and waiting for anything to happen.

"But isn't it exciting, though?" Kai's eyes are shining under the dim light. Kyungsoo can see it. He can see the reason why so many people respect him and fear him at the same time. This is a man who would put his own life on the line for success. "Thrilling even.”

“Not for me.” Jongin frowns.

"He keeps you busy, doesn't he, Jongin?" Kyungsoo chuckles.

Jongin scoffs. “An understatement.”

Kai settles down a bit, taking another sip of his wine. “Anyway, like I said. I’m interested in a lot of things.” He smirks. “And I know you’re interested in me too.”

Kyungsoo throws his head back, cackling. “Where did you get that idea?”

Kai finishes his plate with a knowing grin. “Do I have to remind you that you approached me first when we met?”

"Do I have to remind you of the way you looked at me?" Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow.

“How? The same way you looked at me?” Kai is overflowing with excitement. He bites his bottom lip in a poor attempt to hold back his grin.

Jongin clears his throat, making them realize they had been leaning over the table and were now a lot closer to the other. They stare into each other’s eyes for a moment before they lean back once again.

They continue to talk for a while, even after dinner is done. At least Kai and Kyungsoo, since Jongin remains mostly quiet the rest of the evening. They finish another bottle of wine before Kai and Jongin get ready to leave. Kyungsoo walks them to the door.

“Well, wasn’t this lovely,” Kai says as they stand by the open door.

"Better than constantly trying to end each other's lives, I would say." Kyungsoo smiles, leaning against the frame.

“Maybe we were made to be friendly instead,” Kai replies. They hear their car approaching the driveway.

“Maybe so, and who knows, maybe we can do some business together instead.”

Chanyeol gets out of the car, opening the door for them and Jongin gets in first.

“Let’s discuss that further on Monday,” Kai smiles. “And thanks for the lovely dinner.”

“Thanks for the lovely company.”

There's a prolonged silence as they look at each other for a moment. Kai's holding his breath. He doesn't remember the last time he felt like this. He nods, making his way to his car, getting inside after he steals one last glance at him.

Maybe business together is something that could work.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Do Kyungsoo and Kim Kai doing business together?

It's so crazy, it could work.

 

...

Twitter: VanillaNini1