Secret

Living under her shadow

“Ji Hye-ah, what brand of facial products does your sister use?” Ji Hye’s ‘friend’ asked her.

After getting her answer, she noted it down with a pen.

“Thank you, my friend!” She beamed before running off.

“Sometimes I wonder if you befriended me just because of my sis…” Ji Hye thought to herself and sighed. It was not surprising though since she had many ‘friends’ before who got close to her just to know more about Ji Eun.

Ji Hye looked in the direction of her sister and saw many people crowding around her. That is her popular, pretty and well-liked sister. Sometimes, she wonders why she is so different from her even when they are sisters. They are poles apart regardless of looks or intelligence. One is like a dazzling star in the night star while another is a fading star in the darkness.

“Maybe I am adopted?” She laughed sadistically at her thought before focusing back at her revision.

There was an upcoming test for the class to gauge their standards. Ji Hye was not considered smart so she had to work hard in order to achieve average results. Ji Eun, on the other hand, seldom studies but she always achieves excellent results. Taking a deep breath, she cleared her mind and continued revising.

“R…I…N…G…~” The school bell rang and the students hurriedly scurried to their places.

Seconds after, the teacher entered the classroom with a stack of papers.

“Today is your test.” He announced.

“Ne.” The class replied.

Giving out the papers, the professor noted the starting time.

“You may begin now.” He said.

After some time…

“Pens down. Submit your papers.” The teacher said loudly.

Everyone placed their pens down and handed in the paper. Like other tests, there was a loud commotion right after the teacher left the class. Everyone was excitedly discussing about the answers. Ji Hye had no one to discuss with since everyone was busy sharing answers in their groups. She saw Woo Hyun talking to her sister and turned away, pouting. Then, someone tapped her shoulder.

“How was the paper?” Hoya asked with a smile.

“Oh, it…it was fine.” Ji Hye stammered a little.

“It was a little difficult for me though.” Hoya replied as he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

“I have a few questions that I don’t know too.” Ji Hye said with a shy smile.

“I have a lot of questions that I don’t know. Haha…” Hoya chuckled.

Ji Hye laughed along and was secretly glad to have someone to talk to.

“She is so cute when she laughs.” Hoya thought to himself.

After school…

“Hey sis, I have something on today. You can go on ahead first.” Ji Hye told her sister.

“Oh, okay. Come back early then.” Ji Eun smiled and replied.

“This girl is disappearing suspiciously like the last time too…” Ji Eun thought to herself.

Ji Hye nodded and waved her sister goodbye. Passing by Woo Hyun’s table, she headed towards the door. He did not even bother to cast her a second glance.

“Haiz.” She sighed as she turned back to look at Woo Hyun.

She spotted Woo Hyun talking to her sister, seemingly asking her out. Ji Hye felt her heart being squeezed at the difference in treatment he gave. Turning away, she forced herself not to cry and left. Hoya was walking along the corridor to the dance studio when he heard INFINITE’s music playing in another dance studio.

Curious, he wanted to take a look at the dance.  However, the opaque door did not allow him to see who and how the person danced like. Just when he was about to leave, he heard a scream from inside. Opening the door, he rushed in. To his surprise, he saw Ji Hye sitting on the floor alone. Ji Hye looked up at the ‘intruder’ and gasped. He walked over and squatted down beside her.

“What happened?” He asked in concern.

“I fell down by accident.” Ji Hye said in an embarrassed tone.

“You alright?” he asked as he took her ankle which she was gripping onto gently.

“Ah, it’s okay. Nothing serious.” She said as she hurriedly pulled her foot back.

The pain went away after a while and she stood up. Hoya spotted her phone which had their “Before the dawn” dance version MV on. He figured out that she was learning their dance alone in the studio.

“You know how to dance?” he finally asked.

“Ah, umm…yea. I… I took up some dance lessons secretly before…” She admitted.

“Then why are you learning our dance?” he asked.

“I…I… joined a dance competition.” She said with an awkward smile.

“Serious?!” He exclaimed. He never expected Ji Hye to be a dancer type since she was more of the quiet kind. He totally did not expect her to join a dance competition too.

“Yea. But can you keep this a secret for me?” Ji Hye pleaded.

“Umm, okay.” Hoya promised.

“Thanks.” Ji Hye said with a smile.

“I really know many of her secrets huh? I know she likes Woo Hyun and now I know she is a secret dancer.” He thought to himself and smiled.

Ji Hye picked up her phone and continued playing the video, thinking Hoya would leave by himself soon. However, he continued looking at her watch the video. She was too engrossed in studying the dance moves and replaying the video that she did not know he was still around.

“Aish. Why is this dance so difficult?!” Ji Hye complained as she replayed the same part again.

“Why are you looking at the video when the live performance is around?” he asked and smirked.

“Woah!” Ji Hye took a few steps back, shocked.

“Why are you still around?” She pointed at him and asked.

Then, Hoya began dancing to the music from her phone. All his moves were well carried out and powerful. Ji Hye’s mouth formed an ‘O’ shape as she stared at him dance.

“He is really good…” Ji Hye thought.

“Why do I feel so nervous when she look at me dance? Even with so many eyes on me during concerts, I don’t feel such anxiety! What’s wrong with me…?” Hoya thought to himself.

Author's Note:
Reuploaded chapter because it got removed:X