Chapter 2

Mom, I'm on Television!

Jihoon is infamous for his meticulous, detail oriented behavior. His daily routine consists of waking up at 5 in the morning, going to the gym, showering and changing in the clothes he picked out yesterday alongside his work bag, grabbing a tall black coffee with an everything bagel and took the train to the broadcasting station to open.

Today, he went through his usual morning routine, drove to the studio with the keys to the station in one hand and his breakfast in the other, when he realized with horror that the doors were already open.

But how? Jihoon always pulls on the locked doors a total of 5 times before heading out every night.

Jihoon cautiously opened the door and grabbed anything that could be used as a weapon after putting down everything he had on the floor, which was the fire extinguisher.

He pulled the pin, and started carefully walking around the studio, looking and hearing for any signs of break in.

Suddenly, he heard something rustling in the corner of one of the cubicles, bringing him to walk in that direction, but there was no sign of anything.

Walking closer to the cubicle, Jihoon had his extinguisher ready and out. He was going to plan to shoot whatever was in there.

After counting to three, Jihoon jumped himself inside the cubicle, hosing down everything as only white foam started to burst out.

“Whipped cream?” Jihoon questioned, looking at the mess of white that was now everywhere

“Uh.. what are you doing?”

Jihoon spun around to look at Jun who just stared at the mess

“Jun! When did you get here?” Jihoon asked, “Wait.. were you the one that came in here before me?”

“Uh.. yea,” Jun said, “I thought I asked you for permission,”

“I don’t remember you ever asking me,” Jihoon said

“That’s probably because I asked Hansol to ask you for me because I was busy, but now to think about it, he probably didn’t even pay attention,” Jun explained

“Okay..” Jihoon said, “Now.. Why are you here so early?”

“Because I wanted to see how my goat was doing,” Jun said

“Your what?”

“My goat,” Jun repeated, “Today’s report is going to be about goat cheese, and there can’t be any goat cheese without any goats,”

“So.. what you’re telling me.. Is that there is a goat in this place right now?” Jihoon questioned

“Yeah, but don’t worry, he’s pretty tame,” Jun said, “He’s hiding under my desk somewhere in that mess of whipped cream,”

“That’s the other thing,” Jihoon said, holding up the fire extinguisher, “Why is this shooting out whipped cream?”

“I don’t know, ask Hoshi,” Jun said, reaching for his phone in his back pocket, “He’s the one that did it. Something to do with making fires tasty, I think,”

Jihoon let out a groan as he put the extinguisher down before looking at the mess of the cubicle behind him.

“I might have him clean it instead,” Jihoon muttered to himself

“I think that’s a perfect idea, especially since he’s here,” Jun said gesturing the two to look at the door that had just opened, leaving Hoshi, who had just walked in, freeze as he saw the whipped cream

“Oh no,” Hoshi said softly

“Oh yes,” Jihoon said, gesturing the other to come in front of him with his finger, “Front and center, Kwon,”

Hoshi timidly walked until he was in front of Jihoon.

“Can I leave?” Jun questioned

“No, we have to talk about your goat,” Jihoon said, “Now, Kwon,”

“Yes?” Hoshi squeaked out

“I would love an explanation, but frankly, I don’t think I want to hear it,” Jihoon said, “A better idea. You are going to clean every bit of sugar inside this cubicle and then get me a new extinguisher. Do you understand?”

“Crystal,”

“Alright, good,” Jihoon said, as Hoshi ran to get some towels, “Now about the goat,”

“I will get him out of here after the broadcast and will clean up after anything that he does,” Jun says, “Also, I will never let it out of my sight,”

“This is why I like you,” Jihoon said, patting the taller’s shoulder, “Go find your goat. I’ll be in my office if any of you need me,”

``

“I still can’t believe that Jihoon lets scripts like these get on live television,” Seungcheol said, taking off his mic

“At least you didn’t have to touch goat pee,” Mingyu grumbled, excessively pumping loads of hand sanitizer on his hand

It was an hour after the broadcast for that day ended and Chan was getting ready to head back to campus to watch one of his favorite gaming live streamers when he bumped into Seungkwan.

“Hey intern,” The man said with his arms crossed, looking a bit angry

“Uh.. can I help you?” Chan questioned, putting the other strap of his backpack over his arm

“Yeah, didn’t you say that you wanted to be a live reporter or something?” Seungkwan questioned

“Uh.. yeah, but I don’t remember ever saying that to anyone,” Chan said shyly

“You said that in your interview with Jihoon,” Seungkwan said almost impatiently, “Whatever.. Do you want an introductory course or what?”

“What?”

“An introductory course,” Seungkwan said, rolling his eyes, “Do you want me to show you what we do and all of that crap?”

“Oh.. that would be awesome! But.. do you want to show me?” Chan only questioned since it didn’t look like Seungkwan was at all pleased with the task

“Not like I have any choice shortstack,” Seungkwan puffed, “Jihoon hyung said that you need to be shown the ropes and I lost to Mingyu in rock paper scissors, so now we’re stuck with each other,”

“Oh.. sorry?”

“Yeah, you better be sorry,” Seungkwan said, flipping his bangs, “You’d be more sorry if I wasn’t getting Jihoon hyung’s signed copy of Demi Lovato’s limited edition CD,”

Seungkwan then started to march away, but stopped midway before turning around to face the other, “Well what are you waiting for? Come on!”

“Oh, right,” Chan said before jogging to catch up with him

“You already got shown around the building by Seokmin hyung right?” Seungkwan asked

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure,” Chan said

“Good, so that’s out of the way,” Seungkwan muttered before stopping by Jun’s cubicle, “What is that?”

Jun looked innocently back at the two with a goat in his lap while sipping on some kind of drink.

“Matcha green tea,” Jun replied, innocently sipping more of the beverage

“No, you dusty piece of duct tape! I meant the deranged hairy ball on your lap,” Seungkwan sassily remarked

“Duct tape is very useful, so not an insult,” Jun said, to which Seungkwan groaned in response, “And this is Frederick. My pet goat,”

“That flimsy, ugly thing is your pet?” Seungkwan said in disgust

“It may be ugly, but it’s still prettier than you,” Jun said with a wink

“You’re just angry that you’re the ugliest on out of all of us,” Seungkwan spewed

“Then how come I got street casted to be a model and you didn’t?”

“Because the world is going blind,”

“That would explain the amount of my instagram likes and followers are in the thousands and yours is almost hitting puberty,” Jun answered with a smirk, “Which reminds me, does that make people blind for liking Beyonce?”

“Don’t you bring her into this,” Seungkwan said with an offended tone

“Just saying,” Jun said, shrugging

“This is why I can never have conversations with you,” Seungkwan muttered while simultaneously glaring at the other, “Let’s go, intern,”

Chan and Seungkwan continued towards the camera men.

“Hansol,” Seungkwan said, trying to nudge the other, but was too preoccupied cleaning his camera while bopping to his airpod-filled music, “Hansol!”

“I don’t think he can hear you,” Chan said quietly, earning a strong glare from Seungkwan

“Hansol!” Seungkwan said louder as the other just ignored him, “Hellllooo?”

“You should tap him,” Chan suggested

“Ew, no,” Seungkwan responded, “Do you know how much he sweats?”

Chan sighed as Seungkwan tried to get in front of the camera man to get his attention.

“Hansol? Hello? Anyone in there?” Seungkwan said, literally getting in between the camera and the other, but still not getting his attention, “Helloooo?”

“Wow, he’s really immersed,” Chan said to himself as he watched the entire interaction

“Fine, you buttface! I’m not sharing my chips with you next time!” Seungkwan spat, as he huffed away

“Huh? Oh Seungkwan hey! Did you say something?” Hansol questioned, taking an airpod out of one of his ears

“Why can’t you ever hear anything I ever say, you expired coupon!” Seungkwan yelled

“Oh, sorry,” Hansol said, scratching the back of his head, “Did you need something? I’m surprised you’re still here,”

“Yeah, I’m teaching the new kid here the ropes of the reporter life,” Seungkwan explained, “Anyway, I was wondering if you could baby-sit for a second because I really have to pee,”

“What? Baby-sit? What are you talking about?” Hansol questioned

“Awh thanks! You’re the best!” Seungkwan said before bolting off

“What… just happened?” Hansol murmured, looking confused

“You’re asking the wrong person,” Chan said

The rest of Seungkwan’s tour went pretty smoothly as Chan replayed all of the events that had happened that day in his head before turning the key to his dorm room when his phone started to vibrate with an unknown number on it.

“Hello?” Chan answered

“Hey Chan, it’s Seokmin! I got your phone number from Jihoon hyung,”

“Oh hey,” Chan said, “What’s up?”

“Some of us are hanging out and we were wondering if you wanted to join?” Seokmin asked

“Oh.. uh.. I don’t know if I can,” Chan said, scratching his head

“Awh, why?” Seokmin asked, sounding disappointed

Because I want to watch my favorite gaming live streamer, Chan thought to himself, but he knew that wasn’t a good enough response so he spurted out the first thing that came to his mind, “I have.. homework,”

“Wait a second, wait a second,” Someone, who didn’t sound like Seokmin interrupted, which made Chan realize he was on speaker, “It’s a Friday night and you can’t go out because you have homework?”

“Leave him be, Myungho,” Chan heard Seokmin say, “The kid’s in school,”

“Hyung, when was the last time you did homework on a Friday night?” Myungho questioned

“Come on, Chan! Ditch school and come hang with us!” Someone else said

“Hoshi hyung! That’s telling him to be irresponsible!” Seokmin said with concern

“He has all weekend to do his homework,” Hoshi reminded

“Oh yeah… I forgot,” Seokmin said with a giggle, “Chan, you heard that right? You have all weekend! Plus, Myungho can pick you up!”

“What? Says who? I told you before that I don’t drive people I hate!” Myungho complained

“How can you hate him when you just met him?” Someone else questioned

“I don’t hate him, Jun hyung.. I’m just saying,” Myungho murmured

“Alright, so it’s settled! Myungho will pick you up! Text me your address! We’ll see you soon!”

“Wait, but-”

And the call abruptly ended like that as Chan sighed in response and texted Seokmin his address. The live streamer would just have to wait.

After a couple of minutes, a car that had the license ARMANIZZZ on it pulled up as the window rolled down with Myungho in the driver's seat and Jun in the passenger seat next to him.

“Get in loser, we’re going shopping,” Jun said with a wide grin

“Hyung, number one.. We’re not going shopping,” Myungho said in response as Chan got in the car, “And number two.. If you’re going to mimic Regina George, do it right,”

“What’s a Regina George?” Jun questioned

Myungho groaned in response as Chan buckled in his seatbelt, signalling Myungho to start to drive

“Hey Chan,” Jun greeted, “You miss us?”

“I mean.. We saw each other like a couple of hours ago,” Chan replied

“I will apologize on his behalf,” Myungho chimed in, his eyes not leaving the road, “My money is betting on the fact that he was dropped on his head on birth,”

“Which explains my amazing intellect,” Jun said with a wink

“Amazing intellect, my ,” Myungho spouted back

“Do you guys usually hang out after work?” Chan curiously asked

“I guess,” Jun replied, “Myungho and I live together, so in a sense, we all hang everyday,”

“Not in a weird way though,” Myungho added, “Jun hyung and I both came from China and got an apartment together since it’s cheaper that way,”

“You guys are from China?” Chan questioned

“Yep! We both met in college, saw an offer to live and work here in Korea and here we are,” Jun explained

“You guys are really good at Korean though,” Chan said

“See? The kid sees my amazing intellect!” Jun said teasingly

Myungho rolled his eyes as he parked the car, signalling all three to walk out of the vehicle and into the restaurant where Seokmin, Hoshi, Wonwoo and Mingyu were already seated.

“Hey, you came!” Seokmin said, with a wide grin, waving them over, “Seungkwan, Hansol and Joshua are all on their way right now,”

“Jeonghan, Jihoon and Seungcheol hyung aren’t coming?” Hoshi asked

“Apparently they’re having a separate get together at Seungcheol hyung’s apartment,” Mingyu explained

“Oh yea, I meant to ask.. What happened to that goat of yours, Jun hyung?” Seokmin asked

“You mean Frederick?” Jun started to say as he and the others who came with him sat down, “I had to put him back at the farm I got him from since Myungho refused to have it in our apartment,”

“I was not going to risk my designer brand shoes to be munched on,” Myungho further explained

“Oh look, all the losers are here,”

Everyone turned to see Seungkwan, Hansol and Joshua walking towards them.

“That would be you,” Myungho commented as they sat down

“No, that would be you, you easy baked oven,” Seungkwan spewed

“Cold bowl of soup,” Myungho said back

“Wet sock,” Seungkwan replied

“Turd burger!”

“Half-eaten walnut!”

“SOGGY LAMPSHADE

“SPAM EMAIL!”

“Spam email? How dare you!” Seungkwan gasped

“Woahhh ladies, take it to the box ring next time please,” Jun said, “We’re here to eat, not participate in a tumblr insult match,”

“Speaking of which, looks like the appetizers are here,” Hoshi said as the food landed on the table, signalling Wonwoo and Hansol to both start gobbling up

“Just so you know, those two never really talk,” Seokmin said to Chan, gesturing to the camera men who were stuffing their faces

“I don’t think I’ve ever had a full conversation with Wonwoo before,” Joshua said

“Maybe because you’re too busy having conversations with your camera,” Seungkwan noted

“Or maybe because you’re too busy comparing everything to LA,” Mingyu added

“Or maybe he just doesn’t like you,” Myungho suggested

Joshua murmured something before grabbing a fry and eating it

“Let’s play Truth or Dare! I think that would be fun!” Hoshi suggested

“Alright, then you go first,” Mingyu said to the other, “Truth or Dare?”

“Tigers are always about being bold right? Dare!” Hoshi said

“I dare you… to make Wonwoo hyung laugh!” Mingyu said making Wonwoo look up from his food

“That’s impossible! I don’t think I’ve ever heard him laugh or even smile,” Hoshi said

Mingyu shrugged, “A dare is a dare,”

“Alright Wonwoo,” Hoshi said, turning to the other, who just blankly stared back, “How do you get Pikachu on a bus?”

“You’re going to try to make him laugh with lame jokes?” Seungkwan questioned

“You poke-em-on!” Hoshi said excitingly, ignoring Seungkwan as Wonwoo innocently went back to eating his fries

“Alright, alright, another one,” Hoshi said, “What is Beethoven’s favorite fruit?”

Wonwoo continued his focus on his food.

“Ba-na-na-naaaa!” Hoshi sang, but triggering no response from the other

“You’re going to last all night if you keep doing that,” Mingyu said, before standing up to get some water, but tripping and causing the water cup in front of him to spill all over, making Wonwoo start to laugh

“He laughed! He laughed! I won!” Hoshi exclaimed with happiness, pumping a fist in the air

“Well technically, Mingyu made him laugh by being a doofus and spilling water over literally everything,” Seungkwan said as some were hurrying to clean the spill

“Alright next, Wonwoo! Truth or dare?” Hoshi asked

“Truth,” Wonwoo said

“Okay um.. Have you ever lied to Mingyu that he looked good on camera, but actually he looked terrible,” Hoshi questioned

“Everyday,” Wonwoo replied

“Hey!” Mingyu retaliated

“Not my fault you always look like you just woke up,” Wonwoo said back, “Jun, truth or dare?”

“Dare,” Jun said

“I dare you to pull an all nighter tonight,” Wonwoo said

“Wait, how would you know if I did or not?” Jun questioned

Wonwoo shrugged, “Common courtesy?”

“Alright fine,” Jun said, “Chan, truth or dare?”

“Truth,” Chan replied

“Who is your favorite among us?” Jun asked

Chan shrinked back as a burdening amount of eyes intensely stared at him.

“Remember, I gave you a tour of the ropes of being a reporter,” Seungkwan muttered

“I greeted and gave you an introduction to the studio first!” Seokmin remarked

“I was super friendly to you,” Hoshi said

“So was I! I was never mean to you,” Mingyu said

“Pretty sure I made you laugh on your first day,” Jun said

“I drove you here,” Myungho said

“I babysat you while Seungkwan was gone,” Hansol said

“I introduced you to the most beautiful girl in the world,” Joshua said

“I haven’t done anything to you, ever,” Wonwoo said

The pressure and intensity was increasing as Chan’s pupils started to dilate more.

“Um.. honestly, I don’t think I have a favorite,” Chan said honestly, “You have all been so kind and I enjoy all of your company,”

“Wooooowwww.. So sweet.. Yet so not fun,” Mingyu said

“Such the pacifist,” Seungkwan said

The night drew on as the group soon parted ways into their destinations and transitioned into the next day where Jun was found, looking almost ghostly on his cubicle; eye bags covering his face.

“Uh… Earth to Moon?” Seungkwan said, poking the older, “We have a broadcast in 20 minutes and we were wondering if you finished the scripts?”

“Huh?” Jun said, snapping out of his sleepy mantra, “Oh yeah, I finished them,”

“Alright, we’ll expect them 5 minutes before,” Seungkwan said, “We’re going to go then,”

Jun yawned before waving the other goodbye

“This is why I told you to just go to sleep,” Myungho said, as he walked towards the writer, handing him a cup of coffee

“I never turn down or give up on a dare,” Jun said, taking a sip

“What if this affects your work today?” Myungho questioned

“It won’t,” Jun reassured the younger

“Whatever you say,” Myungho muttered, walking away

It was a couple minutes before the broadcast and Jun’s eyes felt heavier than ever.

“Jun! Jun! The script!” Jun heard Seungcheol yell from the main room, alerting the other, pressing some buttons on the keyboard

“I sent it!” Jun loudly replied back, signalling Seungcheol to start reading

“What is this? This isn’t a script!” Jun heard Seungcheol yell back, but wasn’t fazed since this was a natural response from the anchor

Jun couldn’t muster the energy to understand anything the other was saying. All he knew was that he was too tired and falling asleep on his chair.

“We’re going in a minute!” Someone yelled from the back

“I need to go to Jun,” Seungcheol said at the table

“You can’t! The show is going to start any time now,” Jeonghan said

“What are we going to do? We can’t read this!” Seungcheol said with concern

“Don’t worry, we can handle this,” Jeonghan said

“Teleprompter on,” Myungho said in the mic as the words JUN’S GLORIOUS RETAKE OF HARRY POTTER (AKA WHERE HERMOINE AND HARRY END UP TOGETHER) show up on the screen

“I can’t believe he sent us a fanfiction instead of a legitimate script,” Seungcheol muttered as someone started to count down from the back, “Welcome to Pledis Live News. I am Choi Seungcheol, your anchor for today alongside with Yoon Jeonghan,”

Seungcheol sighed as he stared at the teleprompter where it displayed the beginning of Hogwartz’s sorting hat ceremony.

“Today’s story takes place in none other than the famous convention that holds various hot Korean musicians and artists that takes place all over the world,” Jeonghan starts to say, surprising the older. Seungcheol was confused to what Jeonghan was reading since all the teleprompter seemed to be displaying was Hermoine reprimanding Ron Weasley for pronouncing a spell wrong, “This convention attracts many fans and allows them to interact with each other as well as their favorite artists. One of our reporters, Seungkwan, is at the scene to discuss the history of the Korean wave and the successes and benefits it has leveraged Korea as a country. Seungkwan?,”

The camera’s light turned off as both Seungcheol and Jeonghan breathe out.

“What was that?” Seungcheol questioned

“Something I made up on the top of my head,” Jeonghan answered, “Seungkwan knows a lot about the Korean wave and it’s one of his hobbies so I know he can make something up really quick too,”

“What about Mingyu and the second segment?” Seungcheol wondered

“He’s into cooking and building things with his hands, so I’m going to have him talk about physical labor and interview someone about that,” Jeonghan said

Seungcheol just started in amazement as the camera cued back to them.

“Thank you Seungkwan for that report.” Jeonghan said, “Next, we have our reporter Mingyu to talk about the hard physical labor that many manual laborers have to struggle with everyday. He is going to interview one of these laborers in discussion of how they balance their hobbies with their exhausting occupation, Mingyu?”

The camera cut back out again as Seungcheol stood up, alarming the other.

“This is plenty of reason to fire Jun,” Seungcheol said

“I heard it wasn’t his fault,” Jeonghan explained, “Wonwoo told me the guys all hung out last night and Jun was dared to pull an all nighter,”

“Why would he agree to do such a foolish act?” Seungcheol wondered

“Then he would be flaking on a dare,” Jeonghan explained, gesturing Seungcheol to sit down, “He’s probably taking a nap and sent this by accident and when he wakes up, he’ll probably be beating himself about it or feel really bad, so don’t make it worst by yelling at him,”

Seungcheol sighed.

“Jun doesn’t mean any harm, Cheol,” Jeonghan said softly, “Go easy on him.”

“Right,” Seungcheol replied, “I know.. His personality and mine clash a lot,”

“Let me take over for the rest of the show and then we can talk to Jun gently on the matter,” Jeonghan said

Seungcheol replied with a soft smile as the camera rolled back to them again, leading Jeonghan to finish the broadcast.

After it ended, the two made their way over to Jun’s cubicle, looking at the other who was peacefully resting his head on his desk.

“I don’t think we should wake him,” Jeonghan said, “He’s probably exhausted,”

“So what should we do?” Seungcheol questioned

“We don’t want Jihoon to find out about any of this, so let’s just take him home,” Jeonghan suggested

“Who? Us?” Seungcheol asked

“Yes, us,” Jeonghan clarified, “You carry him since you’re stronger,”

Seungcheol rolled his eyes as he slung Jun’s arm over his shoulder and carried him to his car and buckling him in the back.

“Call Myungho and tell him we’re taking Jun,” Seungcheol said, turning on the engine

“Already on it,” Jeonghan said putting the phone on speaker

“What?” The other line said with a hint of annoyance

“We’re kidnapping Jun,” Jeonghan said, “He fell asleep and we didn’t want Jihoon to know,”

“Take him back to China so I can finally not wake up to him screaming Sia’s Chandelier everytime I wake up,” Myungho replied

“Unfortunately this car can’t fly, so you’re stuck with him,” Jeonghan said

“Then swim,”

“Didn’t you know? Being in water for too long can make you pruny,” Jeonghan said

“Whatever,” Jeonghan could imagine seeing Myungho roll his eyes

“Tell him that today wasn’t his fault if he wakes up,”

“Alright, bye,”

“You’re such a mom friend,” Seungcheol said=

“I know,” Jeonghan said with a smile as they drove off