Chap 6: Surprises

Chance upon You

Was the fate being cruel to the one and only Wang Ka Yee? He swears that he may have been mischievous towards people around him but why does he have to be in this position again? It was already hard enough trying to suppress his growing feelings like a teenager and now he's going to be stuck in the same place for the next one month. Yes, here he is, warmly welcomed by the people at the Tuan manor again now that he's back. He's happy that there are people who really adored him but he's going to hate himself more for having immoral feelings towards someone who's bethrothed. 

Flashback 

The clouds were crying on the day he's leaving this place, all he left behind was some lies of how he's a merchant and his wrongful emotions called love. You Qian was the one accompanying him to the boat dock to send him back. Every foot step of his were heavy, he will not ever get to see Tuan Yi En again unless he gets come here one more time. What priviledge he has as a general, this city is a peaceful place, there were no rebels, what excuse he can give to make his way here. He got a good night sleep but he woke up too early and walk around the Tuan Manor to see if he would come across the busy physician. 

Words could not describe how disappointed he felt when he has to leave here without seeing the same person he had hugged tightly the previous night. All he ever wished for is for Yi En and everyone at Tuan manor to be happy and healthy. The way to the dock was full of funny jokes between him and You Qian and how they were going to miss each other. 

"Wang Ge, it's going to be so peaceful at my home with you gone this time," You Qian smiled. 

"You know, I am wondering if this is supposed to be an insult or a compliment. Well, you are noisy enough, Tuan Furen does not need another one like you for long." Ka Yee smirked back as he enjoyed how You Qian was acting all offended in front of him. "Now you're the one insulting me instead!" They both laughed, they are still having a good time even though it's time to part soon. 

"Will you miss us?" 

"Of course, I will. I will write letters to you too if you want. You better rewrite back to me though, or else I will be hurt," Ka Yee swears it was a sincere response. 

"Hmm, write letters to me too? Oh you have someone you want to send letters to too apart from me? It's only been a short time and you managed to find someone!? I wonder who that person is?" You Qian is surprised, he knows that Jia Er is charming but seriously how does this man managed to do this.

"Calm down, I do not even go out from Tuan Manor more than 3 times, you are thinking too highly of me, You Qian." Ka Yee pats the shoulder of the person across him with an amused look. "You want to guess whom I'm writing to?"

"Who....Niang? Wait, no, it does not make sense." 

"Why not? I can write to your mother as well, she nursed me back to health, why wouldn't I not write a letter to her? I am a very grateful and humble person," Ka Yee winked, "but you're wrong. Guess again."

Gears turned in You Qian's head, a while later, he gasped, "Since when did you become this close with my Yi En Ge? You even planned to write letters to each other, Wang Ge! I thought I was the closest to you." Although he sounded like he's jealous, they both know that he was just mocking at him. You Qian is the very person who wants Jia Er to get along with his older brother, from anyone's point of view, it's very entertaining to watch how polar opposite two people interact without actually fighting. 

"I just want to maintain a good friendship with you all, come on, stop acting all jealous. I am sure the whole Tuan manor people think of me and him as a source of entertainment." Jia Er rolled his eyes, he can't help it that he's attracted to the betrothed man this way. "So you know that too? I mean, Yi En Ge is different too when he's around you. He's usually too quiet and immersed in whatever he does, it's actually quite a change to see him like that. Like a breath of fresh air for all of us," You Qian chuckled. 

"But I heard that he's different too when he's with Lan Shao Ye," Ka Yee winced. He should learn to filter his mouth, now he just sounds like a angsty person. That earned him a laugh from the fellow man, "With Lan Ge, Yi En Ge is always trying his best to be perfect. Always on his good attire and attitude, but when he's with you, Yi En Ge is more honest. You bring out the worst in him, haha." 

Ka Yee clicked his tongue at the comment which make You Qian laugh more. "We're getting nearer to the dock, can you see it?" It's true, he's starting to hear the sound of the river and he can start to see the outline of the place. "Wang Ge, can I ask you something?" 

"You don't even have to ask permission for that, You Qian."

"You like my br..." 

"Why is the dock no people this time? I only see one person there!" Ka Yee quickly praised himself, he knows where the question is going to go the moment he hear the word 'likes my br..'. No matter how close he is to You Qian, he does not want to admit it, not to You Qian and also not to himself. He does not want to think of Yi En as a romantic interest anymore, he's trying to leave all his feelings here, he will not let them surface again. 

"Hey, that's true. Isn't it supposed to be crowded with people lining up for the ride?" You Qian was confused as well, it's not his first time coming here. Usually, there would be tons of people and it is a lively place where you can see all kinds of people."  Right now, both of them can see one man sitting under the shelter with a bored look on his face. 

They both hurriedly walked over with confused look on their face.  "May I know why there's no one at the dock today? My friend has to go back to his hometown soon." The old man did not say anything but smirked at the question, "That's going to be bad news for your friend. There won't be any ship leaving this place for at least next one month. You know how bad the weather is, it keeps changing back and forth. I am not going to risk anything, he would still have made it to his place if he came here two days ago." 

Ka Yee ended up laughing at how things turn out, fate won't let him easily end his time with Tuan Yi En. 

End of Flashback 

Although he kept saying that he's going to bury his feelings, his eyes can't stop moving around to look for the certain delicate man. When he thought the flame of love would go down, it ended up growing stronger. As usual, he entertained the people there with his funny antiques to not seem rude as his heart started to fill with anticipation on how to surprise Tuan Yi En with his return. It did not take long for him to see his favourite person there, all in his tired glory walking back to his quarter after coming back from taking care of patients.

Yi En's shoulders were slouched, his hand still holding the medical box while he fastened his foot pace. He wants to rest, the patient today was the grumpy old man who never listens to his medical advice but calls him everytime something happens. Just one session of taking care of him was draining all the energy out of him, he needs to lie down and close his eyes. He wonders if it's worth it to not send Jia Er away just because of this, however, he's a man who keeps his promise. If he says that he's going to a patient appointment, he never cancels without any special reason. 

But it does not mean that Jia Er is not special, Yi En sighed. He is still thinking about the man who's finally gone. He admits that it was an exciting time of his life, spending time with the handsome man. His thoughts were snapped back to reality when he hears footsteps following behind him, he turned his head back and there's no one again. Was he being paranoid because he's too tired?

Ka Yee hid himself behind the wall as Yi En quickly snapped his head back, he hid himself out of reflex although there is no reason for him to hide. He wonders how Yi En's expression is going to be once he suddenly reveals himself. A light bulb lit up inside his head, mischievous smile crept up onto his face as he quickly ran over to Yi En who was still walking in front. He put his hands in front of Yi En's eyes, before he could say out guess who, pain shot through his arms and his body was flung across as his back met the ground in a matter of seconds. 

"Jia Er!" Yi En accidentally raising his voice not from anger, but from the shock of seeing the man who's wincing in pain on the ground. "Aren't you supposed to leave today? I'm so sorry. You just suddenly cam...." He ended up spewing lots of words but Jia Er kept looking into his eyes as he lied still on the ground. 

"You..this move..." Jia Er softly muttered. 

"Wang Ge!" They both turned their heads to You Qian who ran over to where they are, they are sure that You Qian must have misunderstood the whole thing with how Yi En just threw him down to the ground. "Ge, no matter how bad the argument is, how could you do this to him?" 

"We did not argue at all, he sneaked up on me and I ended up hurting him cause I got...." Yi En's voice got softer and softer as he felt guilt washing over him. 

"It's okay, it's also my fault. Thank you for worrying," Jia Er chuckled as he stood up again. "You idiot, don't do it again." Yi En approached him while his hands tried to brush away the dust gathering on his robe. "Did it hurt a lot?" His hand slowly pat the back of Jia Er's back with a guilty look.

Jia Er gulped down the excitement he's feeling from the soft touches, it was of course painful but he's thoroughly enjoying at the way Yi En's worrying over him. "Ahmm, I am a man. This much pain is nothing to me." He cleared his throat with a smirk. 

Yi En clicked his tongue with annoyance again, "What a showoff, now I cannot even continue to feel bad for you. Who's the one wincing on the ground just now?!" He slapped Jia Er's back hard which ended up earning him a loud owww, "Just admit it, you're in pain."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No!" 


"Yes!" 

"Can you guys stop this? Yi En Ge, I am here to pass a message to you from your beloved." You Qian raised his voice to stop the childish quarrel between the two grown men. 

"Don't talk to your older brother like that. And one more thing, Jia Er is not my beloved." Yi En crossed his arms, how dare this little bastard called Jia Er his love. They are just normal friends. Jia Er did not say anything but looked at the two brothers in confusion. 

You Qian started to giggle, "I never say Wang Ge is your beloved, why would I even be here if your beloved is Wang Ge? I am talking about your fiance, Lan Ge." 

"I see." Yi En can feel the red heat quickly growing on his face, he looked up at Jia Er just to see the fellow man spotting the same shy expression. 

"Here, there's a letter he asked to be delivered to you. I wonder...is that a love letter? Will he mention his undying love for you? Or will he express it using love poems? or wi..." He did not get to finish his sentence once Yi En took the letter from his hand switftly with an uncomfortable expression, "It's none of your business whether it's love letter or not. I'm too tired to entertain you, You Qian." He clenched the letter in his free hand as he remained there looking over at Jia Er who's been quiet since a while ago. 

"Jia.."

"Oh ho, you're not going to run away to your room like usual?" You Qian cut him off again with an amused expression.

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, everytime you receive a letter from Lan Ge, you will hold it happily and run to your room to read it. I was expecting a see-you-later from you, you know. Or is it because you want to be with Wang Ge longer instead?" He laughed out loud, but it did not last long as he received a kick to his shin. 

"You know what? I'm too tired, I have nothing to say to you. See you later and Jia Er, if your back gets too painful, I will apply an ointment for you later." Jia Er did not have time to say anything as Yi En quickly ran to his place and closed the door with a bang. He looked over at You Qian who's on the ground hugging his own leg in pain, as he remembers what he wants to ask to Yi En. Apparently, it definitely is not a good time with how You Qian kept on groaning in pain. 

/////////////////////////

It was already evening time. The sun is starting to set on the beautiful tinted sky. 

Ka Yee was totally lying when he said it wasn't painful at all to Yi En. However, curiosity was killing him as he recognised the move Yi En used on him to throw him down. He was going to ask until You Qian came in to give the whatever love letter he is not jealous about at all, yeah, he's not attracted to a betrothed person. He held his back as he groaned, You Qian was nowhere to be found to ask the question. HIs only choice is to walk over to Yi En's sleeping quarters and threw his pride away to ask for treatment so that he can gets closer to Yi En. He shook his head again, no, he's only doing this because he wants his back to be okay.

"Wang Shao Ye, are you okay?" His painful expression went unnoticed as he smiled at the three 's maids whom he talked to the last time. 

"To be honest, I am in pain. So I am going to your Shao Ye's room for treatment. Thank you for asking." He nodded at them as he tried to make his way to Yi En's place again. Seriously, Tuan manor is just so big, he wished it was smaller so he could reach there faster and maybe go unnoticed by other people. 

"What happened to you? Did you fall down?" One of them continused asking not noticing the dismay Jia Er is going through. 

"I will say it's kind of the same. Your Tuan Shao Ye is really strong to throw me down easily. If you girls could excuse me, I really need to go." He still kept on the fake smile. 

"Our apologies, Wang Shao Ye. Yes, you should go over now. Tuan Shao Ye has great martial arts skills since he was trained to enter the military by his father." She was immediately shushed by the two girls once she finished talking, "It's a forbidden topic here, don't go revealing Tuan Shao Ye past to anyone." The three maids quickly bowed and walked away briskly.

His footsteps stopped, did he hear it wrong? Military?

"Wait! Isn't he a physician? He an.."

One of the girls turned back with a nervous expression, "Wang Shao Ye, this is a taboo topic in here especially for our Tuan Shao Ye. He's still not able to move on from that past. We're really sorry for our mistake, but please don't tell Shao Ye that you knew it from us."

"Fine, I will promise you all that I won't reveal it was you three but you have to tell me everything." Ka Yee felt bad for trying to threaten the girls but he really wanted to know.

The girls sighed, "Tuan Shao Ye's father was a high ranking officer in the military. Before Tuan Shao Ye became a physician, his dream was to get into the military and get approval from his father. The two father and son are very close, they will train together, eat together. Everyone thought he will follow his father's footsteps. Until one day..he lost him in the war. It was a nightmare for everyone at the Tuan Manor, but Tuan Shao Ye took the hardest hit, he was the closest to his father. He was depressed for months until he decided to learn medicine from Tuan Furen and start fresh. So this topic of his father is very sensitive for Tuan....Tuan Shao Ye!"

Ka Yee turned his head back, and there he is, looking into the raging eyes of Tuan Yi En holding an ointment bottle in his hand. "Yi En, it's not their fault. I am the one who forced them to tell you about me." 

"Here I am, worried about you. But you are here going though things about me behind my back. Wang Jia Er, why can't you stop involving in my private matters? And you three, leave here now." The maids quickly bowed and ran away this time. 

"It's that move, the way to throw someone down. That is something we only learn in military, and you use it smoothly. How can I not be intrigued about it?" Yi En walked away but it didn't take long for Jia Er to grab his hand with a desperate look. 

"It's none of your concern, whether I was in military or not." 

"Well, I am concerned! Your father gave his life for the country and how can you n.."

"HE WAS MY FATHER! Do you even know how it feels to lose one's parent in a blink of an eye? What's the point of honour when I'm going to lose him forever in war? You people from the military liked to talk big about giving your life for the country, but have you ever considered the feelings of the family members that are left behind?!" Yi En can feel tears dropping down his face, he will never forget the day the news of his father's death had be announced. 

"I did not even get to see his body for the one last time," his voice went weak as tears won't stop falling down like rain as he held his head down. It did not take long for Jia Er to embrace him with a string of apologies but he is not having it. 

"Let me go!" 

"No, I'm sorry. I am really sorry, Yi En." Jia Er tightened his hug knowing fully well that Yi En hates him now. 

"It's not appropriate...Wang Jia Er. Let go," He gathered all the strength he has and pushed Jia Er away, "Don't you dare get involved in my matters again." 

"I'm just worried about you. You have no idea how much I cared for you," Jia Er raised his voice in his own desperate state. 

"There's no need for someone sneaky like you to do this. Don't talk to me anymore." He threw the small ointment bottle at Jia Er as he walked away again. 

"Fine, keep pushing people away from you! That's what you are good at, I am sorry that I must have been an eyesore all this time. Enjoy your whole life with Lan Jia Kun with this attitude of yours." Jia Er picked up the bottle as he went to the opposite direction from Yi En. He knows that it's already too late once those words came out from his mouth, but it's true, Yi En cannot keep on hating people from military because he lost his father like that. 

///////////////////////////////////

Yi En got off the horse as he finally reached the destination he's been called to, his mind was in turmoil thanks to a certain soldier. The letter he gotten was no other than his fiance asking him to meet him for dinner at the Lan manor. He tried his best to look good although he still cannot recover from what happened with Jia Er. The servant came running to him as he took the horse to tie it up at the stable, while the other servant offered to guide him to where his fiance is. 

Instead of the usual dining area, he arranged the meal in his inner quarters which Yi En gladly accepted. His heart was beating hard, thinking about the alone time with Jia Kun. Unlike the times where they would be surrounded by maids to serve them food, it's just the two of them, how romantic it is to hear lovely recitation from Jia Kun as they intertwined their fingers together. 

"You look as elegant as always, Yi En." Jia Kun softly pat Yi En's head as the said person blushed hard. 

"Thank you. You look good too." He shyly smiled back at the person sitting across him. "Shall we eat now?" They both picked up their chopsticks and started eating as they exchanged sweet words to each other

Meanwhile, General Jia Er is eating his heart out at the previous place Yi En brought him to.

 "Sir! One more bowl for me!" 

 

Author's Note: HELLOOO! I'm back! Sorry for a month long hiatus, I had assignment submissions and tests so I only managed to write this. As I have promised, please look forward to the scene in next chapter, hehe. Now you guys have found out why Yi En hates people from military and hope it solved the mystery, haha. Any thoughts on who's wrong this time? Well, I will be back soon with my rated M chapter and thank you to my both old and new readers!!!