Chap 2: Awake

Chance upon You

Ka Yee woke up to his own sore body and the first thing he did was sit up abruptly as he groaned from the pain. His head turned left and right, checking the unfamiliar room and the bed he is on. He's no longer wearing his heavy armor but only a pair of pants on his body while his upper body is tightly wrapped with bandages. One look at the room and he knew that he's not in his own capital city just by looking at the decoration in this lonely dry room. Headache slowly crept onto him as he tried to remember as much as he could but to no avail. All he could gather in his head is the soft pairs of black eyes looking back at him. 

"You're awake, how are you feeling now?" The woman with the friendly expression made him flinched since it was the first sound he hears after waking up. He could not form any words from his dry throat, understandingly, she immediately walked towards him after getting a cup of water from the table beside him. She slowly passed the cup to him with a smile on her face,"My bad for making you talk, you have been out for a few days, young man. Here, take your time." 

He slowly nodded his head back with a thankful smile as he quietly sipped the water into his mouth. "Most of your wounds are healed now but it's better for you to take a proper rest to make sure that you're okay. I am sure that your head's pounding after all these." He doesn't know who the woman is, but he's pretty impressed and scared at the same time that she's totally reading him like an open book although he has not said a word out yet ever since he's conscious. "Here, I have brought a pill with me everytime I come checked on you to soothe your headache once you wake up." He gulped down the pill with the water immediately which earned a giggle from her. 

He gave back the cup with a thankful yet embarrassed expression as he tried to speak to his life saver. "I.." He stopped his sentence again once he realised that she has been talking to him in another accent which he perfectly understands due to the common usage across the country but it was too sudden to speak in an accent that is different from his usual. The woman continued staring at him due to the random stop  but he breathed out slowly as he tried to speak again, "I am really thankful to you for saving me although you do not know who I am. I will never forget your kindness, madam." 

"It is okay, after all, it is a doctor's job to save someone who's hurt. I am glad that you reached here on time and could make it. We were so worried about you not being able to make it but here you are, talking with me." She is still showing her smile that is as bright as the sun and Ka Yee has never been more thankful than this. He wonders if she knows that he's someone from war, will she still save him.."Young man, what's your name?" His reaction stopped again as he carefully considered whether he should tell her his real name, after all, it's a risk he cannot take. He must go back to the palace as soon as he recovers, his attention was back again when the woman loudly gasped, "Oh no, you must been having short-term memory loss, it..." 

"No, no. I remember. Sorry, I get distracted easily. Jia Er, my name is Wang Jia Er." Well, he isn't lying, it's how his name sounds according to the accent she speaks so he does not feel guilty at all. "Surname Wang, it means King, that's a good surname," He smiled back uneasily as she suddenly mentioned about the king. He wonders if they think that he's dead, but here he is, still alive being taken care by a nice kind doctor. "Just call me Tuan Furen (Madam Tuan), feel free to ask me anything or tell me if you feel like your body's still not properly healed yet in the future. 

"I really appreciate your kindness, I am worried that I might be burdening you." He bowed his head with his hands held together to show his respect. "It is fine, young man. It's not unusual for our household to help those who are physically unwell, just rest assured," she chuckled at how Jia Er looked by the look of confusion on his face, "I am a doctor, hope that you understand what I am trying to say."

He really thanked the gods for leading him to the best place for him right now as he beamed widely at her. What a lucky bastard he is..his thoughts were stopped again as they both hear the sound of growling coming from his stomach which made Tuan Furen laughed again. "Look at you, must be hungry after all these, I will ask the maid to bring lunch for you since I have to go somewhere else soon. Don't worry, I will ask my son to accompany you so that he can help you if something were to happen to you." 

"Thank you once again, I have no words to describe how thankful i am to you again and again." 

"Like I said, no worries. If you are thankful, it's my son who brought you here on time since you were on the verge of dying. So if you see him, just remember to say thank you and it will be fine." She gracefully walked out after she gave one last reassuring smile at Jia Er. 

She called one of the maids who came running, "Bring lunch to the young man inside and make sure that it's warm to eat. Can you also ask Yi En to accompany him since I cannot be there for him now." 

"Yes, furen. However, Tuan Shaoye (Young master Tuan) is currently not in," 

"I thought he does not have to go to any patient's place today?" She tried to recall the memory of her son telling her that he would be free today, "It was an emergency so he had to leave with his assistant today. Furen, You Qian Shaoye might have time on his hands since he just finished studying about the herbs. Might I suggest that he can accompany the person inside?" 

Tuan Furen nodded as she realised that she has no choice since Yi En's not around, it's not that her youngest son is not reliable but she felt that he needs a bit more polishing on his medical skills but she knows that she can trust him. "Make sure that he's really accompanying the young man or else he won't be eating dinner tonight." The maid smiled at how strict Tuan Furen is but that's how she managed to take good care of the household and her children being a single mother. 

//////////////////////////////////

Ka Yee was so delighted once the maid entered the room with a few dishes that smell like heaven to him since he was unbearingly hungry, he could eat a 5 bowls of rice at this rate. The pill was making him feel better as his headache slowly tone down while he tried walk to the table after saying thank you to the maid. He nearly cursed as he fell down just after taking a few steps, can't my legs wait until I reach there?! He totally blamed his weak legs as he tried to escape from his embarrassing position on the floor until he heard a booming voice entering the room. 

"Wait, wait. I will help you, niang's gonna kill me if you are not doing well, Da Ge (Older or big brother)." He was easily lifted up from his arms by a man who was the size of a giant looming over him with his tall height. Although Jia Er is a man with a decent height which can be considered tall according to the ladies who flirted with him but he cannot help but mentally felt inferior at the height difference with a bitter expression on his face. "Are you okay? Is your body very painful now? How a...." 

"I am okay, sorry to scare you. It's just that my legs betrayed me since I have not walked for days. Thanks for helping," he felt his headache coming up again with the continous questions coming up at him but he's more than thankful for the sincere display of help. He should be since he's the one who helped him to bring him over to this Tuan's place before he actually died at a young age. He was brought to the chair as he the man sit across from him with the same friendly smile like his mother, "Da Ge, feel free to eat all these, it's all for you." You Qian passed the chopsticks to Ka Yee with an amused expression.

"How about you? Have you eaten?" He was so hungry but at least he has the decency to ask this to the host cause he would totally feel bad over eating in front of someone who hasn't eaten at all. "Of course, I have eaten it. I am just here to take care of you since you are still not doing so well according to niang. Seriously, we thought that it would take more days for you to be awake but it's good that you are conscious now." Ka Yee did not say anything but nod his head as he put in the delicious beef in his mouth, although he knows that the fellow guy has been staring at him like a monkey in a circus, he does not care anymore as he dig in due to his hunger." 

Fortunately, You Qian also does not talk since he understands Ka Yee's situation pretty well. Halfway through his lunch, his speed of eating slow down and he finally has the energy to interact again. "Sorry for not talking a word at all, my name is Wang Jia Er. I am so thankful to you all for saving me and I am forever grateful to you once again." "It is fine, Wang Ge. I am glad that you are here, at least, I can come disturb you while you are still recovering," he laughed out loud mischievously, "of course, I am just kidding." 

"Sure, I do not mind at all because I am also very talkative and clingy as well." Once again, Jia Er really loves dealing with people from Tuan family. "I am Tuan You Qian, youngest son of this house but I am totally not spoiled by my mom, actually, she treats me the harshest, hmmph." They both laughed at the way You Qian introduced himself. "Since you said you are the youngest, how many siblings do you have?" 

"Well, I have one older sister but she no longer stays with us since she got married to a nice gentleman. She would come visit us at least once a month to make sure we are doing fine. I also have an older brother who's currently staying with us and he's also a well known doctor at our city!" Jia Er chuckled at how You Qian proudly talked about his family and it made him miss his own as well. He beamed at the younger boy, "Wow, you really love your siblings, don't you." 

"Of course, I do. I love Mei Ying Jie, she and brother-in-law are very nice and always spoil me unlike niang and Yi En ge." 

"Maybe, they are harsh with you because they really care about you." Jia Er talked as he took in another piece of meat in his mouth. "I understand that Niang's worried about me but Yi En Ge, he is very serious most of the time. He doesn't even talk unless necessary, it's like he's in his own world. But I really enjoy the times when he would talk a lot and laughed but it's not something we see everyday since he's pretty quiet unlike me." 

"That means that he would not like having someone like me around then," Jia Er replied back, well, he guess he needs to avoid the older young master cause he is not a fan of quiet people. It has always been a loud lifestyle with his fellow soldiers back at home so dealing with a quiet person can be a challenge for him. 

"You misunderstand my words, Wang Ge. Yi En Ge's is a nice and kind person, it's just that he can come off as a cold person due to his nature but he has nothing against anyone. You will be surprised at how easily amused he is when you crack nice jokes or do silly actions especially with people he love." 

"You Qian, it is so much information to take in all at once with your talk about your brother. I am sure that he's an interesting person, you know, people say I am a very charming person and I am the type to make people talk to me. If you are sure that your brother is a kind person like you, maybe I can approach him." He winked back expecting a cringe reaction from the young boy, but his enthusiastic reply surprised him. "That would be really great, Yi En Ge really needs someone like you around. It would be amusing to watch how your interaction with him would go." 

"Now, you are treating me like some sort of show, aren't you?" Jia Er fake frowned his face to tease You Qian. "Da Ge, you are the one who claimed yourself as a charming person, I would like to see you try." He smirked back knowing well that Jia Er is just teasing him. "It's not a bet, you know?" 

"Of courst not, I just want Yi En Ge to have fun like me once in a while. He's too tired from his own work sometimes and maybe having you around might be a breath of fresh air for him." 

"Sure, enough talk about your brother. Let's talk more about you since you are here."

"Anything you want, Ge." They spent a long time talking to each other until Youqian has to go to sort some things out at home and Jia Er ended up taking a good nap again after a fulfilling lunch. Unfortunately, the nap turned into a deep sleep for him again until You Qian came and woke him up for dinner. 

///////////////////////////////////////

The sky was already turning dark and Yi En came back right around the dinner time. His patient had suddently went into a state of unconsiouness and he had to rush to his patient's place. He has been too tired these days since he had been taking care of patients without taking a break. It's not that he was complaining but he as a human being as well, needs a break. Moreover, the source of his tiredness also came from the unconscious man he had saved a few days ago. He wished that the man is everything except being a spy from other territory or else the imperial palace army will execute the whole Tuan household for helping a spy. 

He walked up to the dining area with exhuasted footsteps as his energy has been completely drained. He's hungry, tired and all the negative feelings inside made him want to sleep for days without talking to anyone. Being a good son he is, he managed to put on a smile on his face as he greet his mother who was already at the table full of dishes. His eyes wondered to the missing seat on his left, "Where's You Qian? He has never been the last to reach the dinner table." His voice tone sounded cold again although he did not mean to, he just wanted to go for his dinner as soon as possible.

"Yi En, I understand that you are very hungry. Can you wait a bit more for him? He's coming over soon with a surprise!" His mother was strangely excited but it irked his interest, "Don't tell me that he has gotten a lover!?" 

"Thank you for thinking so highly of me, but no. I, Tuan You Qian, has no plan of getting a lover until I become an approved doctor of the Tuan household. Look who I brought here!" Yi En turned his head to the direction of the voice and there he is, the source of his stress, standing beside his brother with a smile. He felt weird again looking into the dark eyes of the stranger, who stared back at him again. 

"Jia Er, you are here. Let me introduce you to my older son, Tuan Yi En, feel free to call him by his name since he's the same age as you. Yi En, this young man's name here is Jia Er, be nice to him." Jia Er swears that he is totally awkward around Yi En with the way the guy not returning even a small smile at him and kept staring him like a statue. "Hi, it's nice to see you." Jia Er took the seat across him as he flashed his so-called charming smile again which earned him a teeny tiny but suspicious smile from Yi En. 

"Nice to see you, too!" You Qian joined in which startled both of them, "Yi En Ge is just shy so I'm trying to talk for him." 

"I don't need it, You Qian. It's fine." Yi En glared at his brother who smirked right back at him.

"Don't even think about arguing, you two. Yi En is the one who brought you over here the day you were found at the river bank, Jia Er." Tuan Furen interfered which make Jia Er stopped his smile. He thought You Qian was the one who brought him to the place, he looked at Yi En again and finally, he remembered the pair of worried eyes trying to help him back then. He immeditately stood up and bowed his head again at him, "I am sorry for not saying thank you sooner to you." 

Yi En was taken aback by the humble nature of the man whom he thought was an arrogant person judging from his armor. "It..it's okay." He glared back at You Qian again when he laughed at the stutter. He immediately shook his comfy thoughts away again, he knows nothing about the stranger across him, he needs to find out before the other man becomes a threat to them all and with that his expression became stoic again.

Jia Er swore that he can feel the shudder once Yi En's eyes were staring straight into his soul with a cold look again. 

 

Author's Note: Hey Guys, I hope that you guys enjoy this kinda long chapter, I am sorry for not uploading any sooner. T_T I am sure that it must be a bit boring for you to read the first 2-3 chapters since the interaction between Yi En and Jia Er isn't that frequent and interesing yet.  But things will start to get interesting, hehe. So please bear with it. Yi En is still in a turmoil of how to treat Jia Er but it will be revealed in next chapter! And thank you and hope to see all my old and new readers again soon! Oh yeah, btw, Yugyeom's Chinese name is You Qian not You Jian so I changed it!