Chap 4: Close

Chance upon You

"What's this? Looks like the usual herb we eat." 

Yi En sighed for the fifth time as he slowly breathed out, in his study room is no other than Wang Jia Er who has been bothering him nonstop. Although their relationship has become a bit better, it did not exactly make Yi En like Jia Er for who he is. He has been shutting himself in the study room trying to research the herbs until the annoying guy came in and start asking him about every herb he sees on the table. 

"This one is called Gan Cao (Chinese herb) , it acts as a sedative especially can use to sedate curious people who like to talk non-stop," replied Yi En which earned him a laugh from Jia Er. "What's so funny?" 

"For someone quiet like you, I never expected a sharp sarcastic tongue, it's interesting to interact with you everyday. You know, I will always remember you even if I want back to Xiang Jing, it's not everyday that I come across a personality like this." Jia Er grabbed a chair and sit across Yi En at the table where's he studying the herbs. Yi En flashed a fake smile as an idea came to him, "Since you are interested in interacting with me, I remember that I need some help with improving my medical methods. Are you willing to help?" 

He smirked when Jia Er nodded his head like an excited puppy, "Of course! Anything for Tuan Xiao Ye since I am bored anyway." Jia Er leaned his face on his propped up elbow on the table while he stare at Yi En innocently not knowing what the doctor was planning to do for him. Yi En did not say anything and went to the corner of the study room and brought out the box he's used to holding nearly everyday. He cleared his throat as he sat down while Jia Er was still looking at him with his enthusiastic puppy eyes.

For Jia Er, Tuan Yi En is someone he can't stop communicating with since Yi En always have a sarcastic or sassy comeback at him unlike the usual people around him who just listened and laughed with him. A man who does nothing but focus on his job day in and out without caring about others, it made him want to know more and more about him. Before he knew it, he was looking at the delicate features of Yi En with a smile on his face. 

It didn't take long for the smile on Jia Er's face to drop once Yi En laid out the needles of all sizes in front of him. "Wai..wait," Jia Er immediately sat straight, "Don't tell me that you are going to use those needles on me!" Yi En tried to remain poker face but let out a giggle as he watched how the mighty soldier who's used to swords is actually scared of needles. 

"It's too late to back out now, Jia Er. You told me that you will help me. Here, give me your hand." 

"It's not too late yet! I am not letting you put those needles on me, no way." Jia Er shuddered just trying to imagine the sharp prickling pain those needles would give him. He swear he would rather be slashed by a sword than have tons of needles on his body. 

"I am trying to practise my acupunture skills, no one has ever agreed willingly apart from you. Come one, you are a soldier, this pain would not affect you. Moreover, it's free treatment from the infamous doctor, you know?" Yi En tried to grab Jia Er who backed away and cradled his hands in his chest. "I did not know it would be acupuncture, I backed out, okay? Anything except that!" Jia Er stood up and tried to walk away but he was stopped by the doctor who ran after him and stood in front of him. 

"No means no. You said you like being around me, I am doing you a huge favor here." Yi En tried his best to not laugh. 

"No, thanks. Tuan Xiao Ye, please stop." Jia Er was already doing a begging motion at the doctor, he's not going to be a victim of needles, not today. "Trust me, it does not hurt so much." Yi En looked at him with sparkling eyes, it was so evident that he really want to prick him with needles endlessly. Yi En smiled, serves him right for trying to disturb him. 

"Then, see you later, Yi En. I ha..." Jia Er was dragged back to the table by Yi En who really had a strong hold on his hand to the point that he can't even struggle out of it. Jia Er was no choice but to surrender with the way Yi En was looking way too excited to experiment on him. There he was, back again at the table across the doctor who was pushing the fabic on his hand to the elbow. Jia Er sighed as he wait for the incoming sharp sensation on his hand. 

"Relax, I am trying to feel your vein. Breathe in and out slowly," Unlike the hostile Tuan Xiao Ye, this is the physician Tuan who was trying to feel the vein on Jia Er's hand as the room suddenly went quiet. Jia Er calmed himself down as he felt the cold and slender fingers working on his vein, "Your fingers are cold, someone told me that people who have cold hands have warm hearts." 

"Can you stop talking for a while? Please let me do my job," Yi En shot a glare at the man as his focus was shifted again. "Sorry," Yi En was on the verge of stabbing the needle right onto Jia Er's lips as he hear words again while he's trying to feel the veins. He was going to warn Jia Er again until the next words he heard make him blushed. "I just want to say that your fingers are beautiful," Jia Er smiled softly as he sincerely praised Yi En.

The room was quiet again after Yi En softly murmured thank you at the man while he continued with what he's trying to do. The afternoon breeze in the room and the rustling of the leaves could only be heard as Jia Er observed the man in front of him, the doctor has a pair of soft eyes, sharp nose and thin soft lips. The handsome man was too focused that he could not feel the strong gaze of Jia Er at all. 

"Your blood circulation is not too bad so far. In fact, you are healthy but I will do acupunture for you so that it can be better. I will put the needles on your fingers and your palm, they represent the organs inside of your body and don't worry, it will be done in no time." Yi En held Jia Er's palm while he slowly felt the acupunture points, he was quite surprised since he did not hear a word out from the talkative man. When he looked up, Jia Er as well was too focused on his own palm. 

"Are you okay?" Jia Er was suddently brought back to his attention when he found Yi En looking at him. "I am, since you told me not to talk, I'm just keeping quiet." Yi En quietly chuckled, "Finally, you are really quiet for once." 

"Is this how you usually touch your patients?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"It felt as if you are holding my hand lovingly," Jia Er talked in a teasing tone to calm down his own heart, maybe because he has never done acupunture on his hand due to his hatred for needles. No matter how he think about it, he does not have a solid answer.

Yi En quickly slapped Jia Er's hand. "What kind of nonsense is this? I need to feel your hand so that I know where to poke my needles in, you know that physicians don't play around. We are actually serious about how we do acupunture, or else, it might end up paralysing the patient if we randomly do it." He clicked his tongue at the goofy man, as if he would have loving feelings towards Wang Jia Er. 

"Stop wasting my time, I am really going to do it now." He held Jia Er's palm again as he brought out the first needle from the packet and focused, "Relax, Jia Er." 

The study room was filled with groans from Jia Er as the session continued, he swears, he really hates needles.

///////////////////////////

"Hahahha, everyone is talking about how you make Wang Ge escape from your study room the moment he finished groaning from your scary acupunture." You Qian laughed as he recalled hearing the funny story from the servants at his house. "During dinner time yesterday, he was still looking traumastised. Stop being too hard on the poor guy, he just wants to be on nice terms with you." 

Yi En can't help but rolled his eyes, news really travelled fast at his household, "He was the one who agreed to it and I am actually being nice to him by healing him." Great, yesterday Jia Er disturbed him, today it's You Qian and Rong Zai bothering him in his study room. "If you guys are going to talk about Wang Jia Er instead of helping me with herbs, I suggest you all leave here." 

"Don't be so cold, Yi En Ge. We are here to help you but it's just too funny to talk about your interaction with him."

"I can prove it to you hear that I'm not cold by giving you guys an authentic acupunture experience, who's first?" Yi En grabbed his medical box to threaten the two who panicked immediately, they know that Yi En will definitely do it if he means it. 

"Fine, fine. We won't talk about it anymore. Please stop, Ge." You Qian held his hands up so that his brother show him mercy. "Yeah, you both better stop." Yi En smirked at how effective his needles are, not only he can use them to help patients, he can also use them against annoying people. 

"By the way, Niang is asking you to bring Wang Ge around the city especially the night market. She wants him to have some fun before he left for Xiang Jing in next few days." You Qian talked timidly, he has no choice but that's what his mother wants. 

"Why me?! You can bring him around, I am not free, I have patients to attend to." Yi En ended up raising his voice, "I also have plans with..." 

"Well, Niang knows that you don't have any patients to attend to, that's why she asked you to." You Qian intervened. "How would she even know that, she's not even keeping track on..."

"I told her that," Rong Zai sheepieshly smiled, "I did not know that she was going to make you go out with Wang Jia Er, I thought she was just asking me. I swear I really did not know!" 

Yi En could feel a headache creeping up due to frustration, "But I have plans with Jia.." 

"Well, Wang Ge is an out-of-town guest, and you can see Lan Ge later. Moreoever, you have been working all the time, Niang wants you to take a break while hanging out with Wang Ge at the same time. She's really worried about you overworking, Ge." You Qian was not wrong, Yi En knows that he's been making his Niang worry endlessly about him these days, he happened to overwork due to his plan of avoiding Wang Jia Er.

He has not met Jia Kun for a while but with Jia Er around, he won't be able to meet up freely. He gave up his plan to go out with his special one just because of Wang soldier, but he wants to make his Niang stop worrying over him. No matter what, his mother is number one for Yi En. 

"Fine, I am only doing this because I don't want to be a burden to Niang. You Qian, please help me tell Jia Kun that I won't be seeing him until Jia Er went back to his hometown." 

"Are you sure that you are not angry at Niang and us?" You Qian asked with a sorry face, he knows that how much his brother is looking forward to meeting up with Lan Ge, "Niang want the best for you and Wang Ge is going back soon in next 2 days." Yi En did not say anything but smile and shake his head, it's okay for him to just tolerate all of this in coming two days. He's not an impatient man, he can wait. 

Time goes by fast, Rong Zai and Yong Qian was no longer there when he finally cleared up his table and carried his money pouch to bring Jia Er out. The way from his study room to Jia Er's guestroom was not that far but he took his time walking, trying to relax, he really needs a break afterall. 

He lift up his fist to knock but was startled once Jia Er opened the door, " Great timing, Tuan Shao Ye, what brings you here? Don't tell me that you are here to fetch me to dining hall?" He asked with a mischievous tone although he was confused with why Yi En's there. 

"Yes, I am." He calmly answered as he found himself wanting to laugh at Jia Er's taken aback expression, "Don't misunderstand, Niang asked me to." 

"But I know my way to the dining hall, maybe she's worried that I might still be feeling well, how nice of her!" Jia Er replied as grateful as ever. "We're not going to have dinner with them," Yi En responded with a happy face, "I am bringing you to the amazing night market in here, it's been a while since I last went there."

Jia Er smiled along with Yi En, it was obvious that Yi En was feeling as excited as him. "Then what are you waiting for? Let's go!" He grabbed Yi En's hand and walked fast towards the entrance of Tuan's household. 

"Wang Jia Er, you don't even know the way to there!" He felt like kicking Jia Er away as the servants who saw them start to laugh. 

"Then, you guide me and I will be dragging you around." Jia Er giggled like a little kid which made Yi En frowned although he did not mean it. 

//////////////////////////////

"Eat slowly, you're going to choke yourself." Yi En watched Jia Er gulping down the food so fast that he can see himself saving Jia Er in public if he ends up choking. "The food here taste so good, Yi En, you have a good taste!" Jia Er was not lying, the food was super good and he can't stop eating it. He cleared his throat, "Did you bring enough money?" 

Yi En was confused by the sudden question, "I guess I kind of did, why?"

"Then I will be ordering a second bowl, sir, another bowl please!" He lifted up his hand and shouted at the owner. "Hey, you are not even done eating this one, what if you cannot finish it?" Yi En crossed his arms, he does not like people who waste food.

"You don't know who you are dealing with Tuan Shao Ye, you have no idea how much I can eat," Jia Er winked at Yi En who scoffed, "You have food on your face, wipe it down first." 

"Wipe it away for me then," Jia Er beamed at him. 

"In your dreams!" He stuck his tongue out at the beaming man. "Eat quickly, I have to bring you around, you know."

"Tuan Shao Ye, one moment, you asked me to slow down. One moment, you asked me to eat quickly, please choose one thing. I cannot do both." Jia Er sarcastically replied as he tried to wipe away the food which went unsuccessful. Yi En clicked his tongue and brought his hand forward to remove the rice on Jia Er's face, "There you go, idiot. Then, eat at a fast pace so that we can make it to the market but not too fast so that you choke and I have to save you."

"Got it! I will try my best!" 

They did not talk for the rest of the time unti Jia Er finished eating another bowl. Just like Yi En said, the night market was full of life with many shops and then kids and adults alike having fun, it was a place that totally suits someone like Jia Er. They looked at different shops and enjoyed the desserts together, for the first time, they are not arguing but fully enjoying the moment. 

As night falls, the place become more packed and it was harder for them to naviate through the crowd of people. Yi En felt surprised when Jia Er suddenly hold his hand again, this time intertwining their fingers. "What're you doing?" 

"Hmm? I just don't want to lose you in these ocean of people, I really don't want to panick when I'm having a good time," Jia Er replied like it wasn't a big issue for him. However, Yi En was getting agitated, "Jia Er, lots of people know me here, I don't want to be misunderstood." 

"Misunderstood?" Jia Er was confused until he realised how stupid he sounded, of course, the peope are going to think that they are a couple but he really does not want to get lost with many people on the road. He let go of the hand immediately with an apology, "I'm sorry, I can get clingy sometimes. I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable again." 

Yi En bit his lips as his hand holds the fabric of Jia Er's, "I think I can at least hold onto you this way." He does not know why he was blushing but it was really awkward for him to do that. 

Jia Er smiled at how the event unfolds but he's happy that it's not too bad to be with Tuan Yi En after all. He was about to say something until people behind them start screaming and making way, his eyes went to a group of people on fast-paced horses. Many people stuck to the side of the road as the group did not have intention of stopping, his reflex as a soldier came in and before he knew it, he grabbed Yi En from his waist to the side. 

He was beyong angry glaring at the group who passed by on their horses with obnoxious laughs as they make the people panicked. First, it was easy to see that they were drunk, and they came back from hunting with their hunting clothes. Those kind of people make him sick to the core with their arrogance and bad attitude. All of a sudden, his anger was dissipated when he heard a small whisper of his name. 

"You're ho..olding me too..close," Yi En was so close to Jia Er to the point that he can hear the angry breaths coming out from him. He did not even have time to look at what's going on once he heard the screams and was pulled from his waist to the side. When he called out Jia Er, it made him blushed more as their faces got closer. He felt himself being paralysed when he make eye contact with the man holding his waist tightly. 

Jia Er gulped down as he stared into Yi En's eyes, it took a while until he let go of Yi En's waist with a string of apologies. "It's okay, let's just go back home." Jia Er nodded cause he knows that it will be more awkward if they spend any more time outside. 

Author's Note: Well, well, well, I tried my best haha. I am sure you guys will be wondering who the Jia Kun guy is since Yi En considered him as someone special. There are so many mysteries around him but don't worry, it will all be revealed during next two chapters! Spoilet alert: Look forward to a dramatic chapter as well as a rated M scene in the next few chapters, hehe. Hope you guys enjoy this! Thank you to my old and new readers!