Chap 5: Betrothed

Chance upon You

The sky was not in the as bright as when he reached here, no matter how bright the sun is, its strong light cannot penetrate through the glommy clouds covering it in layers. The wind was strong enough to make his clothes fly but not too strong enough to make sounds. For the first time, he was walking around the Tuan manor with a big courtyard. he has been keeping himself busy by entertaining everyone at that place, he did not have a chance to explore the place for one last time until today. 

He is going to miss this place occupied by big-hearted people who treat him well, his legs brought him somewhere near the garden of the house, it wasn't a really enormous space but it was enough for a private space for a few people. There was a small gazebo where they can sit and have tea while looking at the flowers and the lotus in the lake. He may be a person who might need attention from people most of the time but he does not mind being alone for now. 

As he slowly made his way there, he heard a shuffling of footsteps from the other direction which was no other than Tuan Yi En running towards the gazebo with a flustered look. He stopped his foot track and observed the man who was not aware of him, Yi En was running with an excited look on his face and he definitely was looking better than before. 

Ever since they came back from the market, they have not had a chance to talk to each other with how Yi En was busy with his patients while he just spent his time helping You Qian and Tuan Furen around the house since he somehow felt indebted. His eyes travelled to the gazebo where Yi En stopped and happily talked to the person whose back was facing him. 

He tried to squint his eyes to see who the man was but he's so sure that it's not You Qian because of the height of the man but it cannot be the medical assistant from the other day as well. Usually, he would walk away but he's intrigued by the person who can make Tuan Shao Ye smiled like that, even a kid could tell that Yi En was totally smitten by the person. He turn on the stealth mode and start walking with light feet to approach his target to make sure he's not caught, it was an easy task for him. 

He watched from quite afar to see what's going on but the two person has been talking quietly even though they seem like they are enjoying the conversation. From a stranger's view, Ka Yee totally seems like a creepy stalker. 

"Wang Shao Ye?" Suddenly, he felt like his heart would leap out from his chest when he was approached by the maids at the Tuan household. He put a finger to his lips to them before they actually call him out louder, "You three nearly made me get heart attack!" He whispered harshly which earn giggles from the girls. 

He quickly brought the girls away from the gazebo as he finally stood straight again. "You're eavedropping, weren't you?" One of them asked him with an amused face. "No, I wasn't. He just happened to be at where I am trying to go," he cleared his throat to make himself sound believable. 

"Then, why are you hiding there? Anyone could see that you are totally eavesdropping," once again, they giggled. Ka Yee can tried to fan away the heat coming up to his face using his hands, "I just do not want to make your Shao Ye angry at me, that's why I hid." The three girls did not say anything but looked at him with an expression that totally says that they do not trust his words at all. 

"Who's he by the way?" 

"Who?" The girl asked back with a confused look. "Ahh! He's asking about Lan Shao Ye, you mean the man who's Tuan Shao Ye is talking to, right?" The second girl replied with a grin, "sadly, you're one step late now." 

"What do you mean by that?" The more they answer, the more confused he became. "We thought you totally adore our Shao Ye, I mean, the whole household knows about you two." 

Once again, Ka Yee felt flustered by their words, "I..I do not adore him or have romantic affection of any sort. We're just friends, you know?" 

"We never say that you like him romantically," they chuckled, "we're just saying that you enjoy being around him, even Tuan Furen said Tuan Shaoye has learnt to take a break whenever he's with you." 

"She said that?" Ka Yee did not realise that people were really keeping eyes on him, "Anyway, who's the Lan person you are talking about? I have never seen an icy Tuan Yi En looking like that. all smiley and then shy." He tried to ignore the teasings from the girls, for now, he is dead curious about the person who makes Yi En act different from his usual self. 

"Lan Shao Ye from the son of the wealthy Lan merchant house, they are mainly the ones who do trading at our whole city. They are as influential as the political figures around here," she softly whispered. "Tuan Shao Ye has been betrothed to him since they were young.."

"Betrothed!?" Ka Yee immediately covered his mouth with his hand since his voice came out louder than he expected. 

"Shhhhh!" It was the girls' turn to hush Ka Yee, "it was an old arrangement even before Tuan Shao Ye was born." 

"And he just went along with it? I mean he can have his own choice when it comes to marriage and he's.."

"Wang Shao Ye, did you really think that Tuan Shao Ye will just accept a person he does not like at all, he's totally into Lan Shao Ye. He will meet up with him once a week, have tea together. Sometimes, Lan Shao Ye would join the family for a meal. Tuan Shao Ye will make sure that he's on his best attire when he's with him. No matter how cold he is, he totally melt for Lan Shao Ye." 

"Is he that great? It seems like you guys are smitten by that person as well." Ka Yee folded his arm, he never expected Yi En to have a love interest with his busy schedule, but then, he's only been here for a while. 

"Please, we dare not do that to our Shao Ye." The timid one among them started to join the conversation as well, "according to your words, you really do sound jealous."

"What nonsense am I hearing from you three in broad daylight? Me, jealous? No way." Ka Yee scoffed, he has no right to be jealous at all. He sighs, he accepts the man to be better since Yi En seems to be in love, after all, there's no way his choice would be wrong. "Since he's well-loved in this household, it's good for your Tuan Shao Ye then.."

"He's very nice towards You Qian Shao Ye and Tuan Furen as well, no wonder, Yi En Shao Ye really loves being around him."

"How about towards you all?"

"Us? Wang Shao Ye, not everyone is as friendly and nice as you. It does not matter how he treat us, we are from lower class, what matters is he's good towards the main family members in here and Tuan Shao Ye is happy with it."

"I see," Ka Yee slowly nodded cause what they said is also actually right. In this system of classes, it does not matter how a person treats the servants. However, it does not sit well hearing that from them. 

///////////////////////////////////////

The rest of the afternoon went by fast and now he's already sharing a table with You Qian at the dining hall for lunch. The thoughts of Yi En engaged to someone else irked his mind but he's not in position to say the words out. Moreover, he's not even that close with the Tuan young master here. 

"What's on your mind, Wang Ge?" His attention was caught by Yon Qian who has been staring at him while waiting for the maids to finish bringing out the dishes for lunch. "You seem so pre-occupied with thoughts, I have been calling your name several times." 

"Sorry, I am just thinking how I am going to miss this place when I leave tomorrow. It's nothing serious, haha." He faked a smile, fortunately, You Qian believed it. 

"If you do not mind, can Jia Kun join us for lunch?" Speak of the devil, the person whom has been occupying his mind has appeared with rosy cheeks standing beside the so-called Lan Shao Ye. The man was a tad bit taller than Yi En, broad shoulders and a good-looking face, Ka Yee smiled, no wonder Yi En is smitten, 

"Please do, it's been a while, Lan Ge!" You Qian excitedly welcomed them in while Ka Yee is still intensely staring at the man. You Qian shifted his seat to sit beside Ka Yee, while the engaged couple sit across them. Unexpectedly, Ka Yee felt a sense of familiarity with the man now that he could see his face better, he just cannot point out where he has seen him. But then, it's impossible to know someone out of the Tuan house, before he knew it, his stare was making the said man felt uncomfortable.

"Jia Er, you're staring at him too much," Yi En snapped his finger at him which brought back his attention. He sheepishly smiled which putting a hand on his head, "Oh, apologies for my rudeness, Lan Shao Ye. I was wondering where I have seen you before. It might be a mistake, please do not mind me." 

"It's okay, I don't think I have seen you before, maybe, you must have been mistaken. Your name is Wang Jia Er, right? Please feel free to call me Jia Kun, Yi En here has told me about you." He put his hand on Yi En's shoulder and it did make Ka Yee felt weird about it. 

"Really? Tuan Shao Ye, I did not know that you would talk about me with him. Please don't tell me that it's bad things about me." He pouted which earned him a glare from the said man.

"Wang Jia Er! You..."

"No, he was talking about how you're going back soon and that's the reason why he could not come and see me. Don't worry, my Yi En is not someone to talk bad about someone." Jia Kun intervened before Yi En actually explodes. 

"Of course, I was just joking too." Ka Yee was clearly uncomfortable with how Jia Kun was stressing on Yi En being his but he still maintain his jolly smile. "So you came here to see him, how romantic?" Words of You Qian did not make it better too. The worst part was seeing Yi En sitting there all shy and timid like that wasn't the same guy who was so loud and sarcastic with him. 

"Shall we start eating?" You Qian asked as he start to lift up his chopsticks, "Niang is not here today since she had to be with her aquaintances but me and Wang Ge can entertain you two, hehe. Am I right, Wang Ge?" Ka Yee nodded his head with a smile, for him, seeing his saviour being happy is good enough. He ended up making eye contact with Yi En, who flashed a smile back at him. 

They talked about trivial things and started eating, Ka Yee smiled at the maid who came in with a pot of tea and cups for them. She was the same person whom he met a while ago at the garden. He waited and moved his hand from the table while she started to pour chinese tea for them, he muttered a thank you at her as she continued doing the same for the rest. 

Even though she was being careful with it, she ended up spilling the hot tea onto Yi En. Her eyes widened once Yi En hissed from the sudden burn, "I'm so sorry, sorry, Tuan Shao Ye!"  Ka Yee quickly stood up and grabbed the handkerchief on the table as he tried to wipe down the burning tea from Yi En's clothes.

"How are you even doing your job here? Can't you see properly with your own eyes?" Lan Shao Ye started to make a scene which surprised everyone in the room. "Jia Kun, I'm okay. It's just a small mishap." Yi En looked up at him with a comforting smile, You Qian joined in as well, "Lan Ge, don't worry. It's not too bad, please calm down." 

"How can I ca.."

"You Qian, can you go and grab an ointment for your brother?" Ka Yee did not say anything else except wiping the tea, "There is no point causing a ruckus, she's done it accidentally, she's panicked enough."  By the time, he realised what he has done, he mentally cursed at himself again, it totally sounded like he was making Yi En's person a villain. Damn his quick reflex and outspoken personality..

He smiled again, "What I mean is Jia Kun, it's nice of you to worry about Yi En but he is fine and it's a joyous time of the day to have lunch, so yeah, and....." before he knew it, he was stuttering and spewing nonsense again. You Qian left the place for the medicine, while the maids and the couple stared at him at his miserable state. 

Thankfully, Jia Kun replied calmly this time, "Yes, you're right. I let things get to me since my beloved got burnt, thank you for helping him out." Ka Yee just nodded back since he was starting to feel more uncomfortable. At the corner of his eye, he can see Yi En staring at him as if he wants to talk to him but he ignored it. 

The rest of the lunch went fine with all of them talking normally like before, still Ka Yee can't help but give small glances at the man in front. He definitely cannot figure out where he has seen Jia Kun from. 

"Thank you for the meal, I will be going back now since I have a few matters to attend to," Jia Kun took his leave after they finished it. "You're going back too soon now? I guess I will be seeing you around soon." You Qian pouted, he want to spend more time with his future brother-in-law. 

"Sorry for leaving soon, I'm actually here to just see him. He was busy with Jia Er so I had to drop by here." Jia Kun held Yi En's hand which make the said man blushed. Ka Yee just smiled back, now it seems like he's the douchebag who is between the happy couple.

"Jia Kun, I will send you back to your place then," Yi En spoke back. 

"It's okay, you will be too tired, just rest at home." 

"I will send you until the entrance of our house, please?" Yi En pouted which make Jia Kun can't help but nod. 

"Eww, love birds," You Qian rolled his eyes and Jia Er ended up laughing. "No worries, you have me. I will accompany you if you are lonely," Ka Yee winked at him and hugged You Qian as a joke which the other gladly returned. Yi En abruptly stood up while he held Jia Kun's hand, "Let's go, Jia Kun." He did not even spare a glance at them while he dragged Jia Kun away. 

"Oh wow, he's angry at us now. It was just a joke anyway." You Qian sighed. "Are you sure? I thought Jia Kun is in a hurry so he left," Ka Yee asked. 

"Yes, he's definitely angry." 

"For what? I never knew he was that sensitive," Ka Yee continued drinking the chinese tea. 

"I don't know too, usually, he doesn't do that." You Qian shrugged his shoulders. Ka Yee did not say anything else. 

/////////////////////////////////

Ka Yee was already on his bed with his running thoughts after the dinner time with the family. It was sad talking to them for the last time, especially Tuan Furen and You Qian. The whole time at the dinner table, he remembered how silent Yi En is, maybe, he does not matter much to Tuan Yi En. He thought their friendship was solid, but today has been a day full of surprises when it comes to the Tuan young master. 

All of his thoughts came to a halt after he heard a few knocks on the door, which he quickly replied with a 'come in.' He immediately sat up when he realised it was no other than Tuan Yi En who came in with a bag in his hand.

"Hey, is there anything you want?" He asked as he could feel the awkward tension rising up again. 

The same goes for Yi En who sat down on the chair while he tried to maintain eye contact with Ka Yee, "I just want to say a proper farewell to you. Niang and You Qian kept talking to you the whole time so I did not know what else to say, sorry for coming in late at this time of the night." 

"Don't be sorry. I should be the thankful one since you even come in to my room. It means a lot to me." Ka Yee put his hand at the back of his neck as he tried to not be as awkward as possible but he's totally failing. 

"I also wanted to give you this," Yi En passed the bag to him, "It's your armor, I could not find a good time to give this back to you. I also packed some clothes for you to wear in case your journey took longer than you expected. Maybe you should check to see if that's okay?" 

Ka Yee has never been happier now that his armour is back in his hands, he thought he has totally lost it. "You kept this for me all this time? Thank you so much." He quickly opened the bag and tried to scan the items inside with a happy grin which make Yi En chuckle. "I'm sorry, it's just nice to see you getting excited."

Ka Yee looked up, "so you admit that you enjoy having me around?"

"Yeah, I do. I think I will miss you," Yi En bit his lips when the whole room went quiet again, "I mean, next time you come here, come straight to Tuan's manor. I will bring you around the city and take you to better places." Ka Yee smiled grimly, thinking about how he won't be easily back at this place, he won't be seeing all these people again. 

"By the time, I come here. You will be married and having kids with Lan Shao Ye, you know?" He said that as a joke but he didn't expect the room to go quiet again. "Right now, it's just you and me. There you are, going around talking about others," Yi En replied, "I won't be getting married any time soon." 

"I know, I'm just kidding too." Ka Yee smiled as he looked into the familiar pair of eyes.

"That's all, I will go back now." Yi En stood up but his hand was grabbed by Ka Yee, "Wait! I...can I have a hug from you? I already got it from You Qian so I want it from you too. It's okay if you don't want to.." 

"Sure." That came as a surprise to Ka Yee, up until now, Yi En does not like having close skinship with him but he's agreeing to it without complaining. "Umm, okay." Ka Yee stepped up and embraced the smaller frame of Yi En, he's really going to remember Yi En. 

Yi En felt the warmth seeping inside him from Jia Er, and it is so wrong to do it according to his boundaries and yet it felt so right. 

"Am I warm enough for ice-cold Tuan Shao Ye?" Ka Yee asked in a teasing tone, and Yi En could imagine the mischievous grin on his face. 

"Not enough," Yi En teased back, which make Ka Yee tightened their hug. Yi En has no idea of how much he does not want to let go. "Is this better?" 

"If you tighten any longer, I won't be able to breathe, Wang Jia Er." Yi En groaned, it was gettin tighter. Ka Yee loosened up his hug but he has not let go yet, "Yi En, will you write me back if I send you letters?" Ka Yee cannot help but those words kept coming out from his mouth, it was easier now that he cannot see Yi En's face but is holding him in his arms. 

"I will," Yi En softly whispered. 

Ka Yee let go with a huge smile as Yi En returned the same. "You should rest, Jia Er. You are leaving in the afternoon, right?" 

"Yes, you won't be free, right? I heard that you have a patient to attend to." 

"That's why I am doing a proper farewell with you now," Yi En replied with a remorseful face, "I enjoyed your company while you were here, next time, I will do acupunture for you again." 

The mood went from sad to light again once Ka Yee's face visibly cringed, "Please stop, Tuan Shao Ye. I swear I like seeing you but I don't want to see you because of those needles." 

"Come on, be a man!" Yi En lightly punched Ka Yee's arm as he finally left, "Farewell, my friend. I will be waiting for your letters, I bet it will be super long with how talkative you are." 

Ka Yee waved his hand, "But I'm sure that you will read it." They both nod at each other for one last time. 

Ka Yee entered his bed early since he has a big journey ahead tomorrow, he mocked at himself mentally at how he is so attached to this place and of course his saviour who's betrothed. 

Author's Note: Is this a good bye between them now? T_T  To some of my readers, if you think that this story is going too fast, actually, this is just the beginning, hehe. This is going to be angsty and dramatic fanfic so yeah, please look forward to it. Although I personally hate love triangles, I have no choice since Jia Kun plays a role in making them get closer. Hope you all enjoy this chapter, love you all!