Epilogue

Between the Past and the Future
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

August 2027

 

A young, blonde woman is carrying a fully-dressed mannequin from the back of the store to the window display. She puts it down carefully while looking the either sides of the wall, making sure it is positioned right in the middle as she was instructed to by the manager. To top it off, she puts on a red beret that immediately completes the entire ensemble. 

 

Finally done with the task, she realizes someone has been watching her, or rather, looking at the mannequin, from the other side of the window. She smiles to the potential customer; the person smiles back and walks by. A few seconds later, she hears the heavy store door being pushed opened. She jumps down the window display to welcome the customer, she's currently tending the store by herself as her colleagues are at the back office for an impromptu meeting.

 

"Good evening, welcome to Blanc & Eclare." She greets, noticing that it's the same lady from the window. She briefly introduces the new F/W Collection before leaving the customer to comfortably look around for herself. Most people prefer that when they intend to browse and not looking for something in particular.

 

She secretly scans the lady from head to toe. Yes, it's rude, but she works in a fashion boutique so sue her. She concludes that the lady knows fashion but doesn't particularly care about it. Although she dons branded names almost from head to toe; topping it with a classic Chanel handbag, her choices are simple and not too show-offy.

 

"Excuse me," the lady calls for her attention. She swiftly leaves her comfort zone behind the cashier and attends to the customer. "Do you still have these available?" Her eyes follow up to where the customer is pointing.

 

She looks back at her apologetically,  "Sorry they are not for sale; we don't produce them anymore." When she sees the disappointment in the lady's eyes, she quickly adds, "They are the brand's first limited edition line of scarves from many, many years ago. The display is only for.. aesthetic purposes."

 

The lady chuckles, still looking up to the collection of scarves, stylishy framed like some signed-jerseys.

 

"We don't actually have a new collection of scarves this year, but we still have some in stock from last year, if you're interested." She says. "Although the choices are limited now. Would you like to take a look?" She offers, readying herself to go rummage through the storage.

 

"Oh no, it's fine. Thanks. It's just uhm.. I used to have the 2014 Navy," she points at one of the scarves, "but I lost it at a ski resort a little while ago." She tsks.

 

"Really?" She's now impressed. "Wow, you must be a long time follower of the brand, then?"

 

"You have no idea." The lady says with a mischievous look.

 

There's a sound of footsteps approaching from the back of the store, soon followed by the appearances of the blonde's two collegues. They greet the only customer currently in the store and make their ways to the cashier. Not long after, the manager appears, still talking animatedly to the person beside her who happens to be the owner of the brand.

 

"I don't think we should worry too much, the police are constantly patrolling the area ever since the Cartier burglary." The manager says before one of the staff clears politely and points using the movement of her eyeballs to let her know that there's a customer at the corner of the store. 

 

Before the manager could react, the owner greets as she walks toward the customer, "Hello, welcome to Blanc & Eclare, how can I help you?"

 

Everyone is looking confusedly at her, including the blonde. 'Why is the boss doing my job?'

 

The lady pauses for a second before scowling, "Thank you, but..", she points around the store with a clear disgust in her face, "this is not exactly my taste."

 

And every single person in that room, except for the owner and the customer, gasps and looks at the them in horror. The blonde can't believe her ears, 'What's wrong with this woman? She was being really nice just now.'

 

The owner bites her lip and raises the back of her hand as if she was going to smack the out of the customer before they both start laughing, confusing the other people in the room. She then turns to the two shop assisstants at the cashier, saying, "From now on, this person is blacklisted from the store."

 

When everyone is still left dumb-founded, the owner laughs again, "Everyone, this is my friend, Klaire Han."

 

'Oh!'

 

There is a short exchange of greetings happening before the owner informs them that her friend is here to pick her up and she has to leave.

 

"Thank you so much for coming here and talking with the staff, we really appreciate it, Ms. Jung." The manager says with a big smile. It's not an everyday occurence that the Jessica Jung, the Founder and Creative Director of Blanc & Eclare, stops by.

 

Jessica thanks them back in return and gives some words of encouragement before taking her leave, hooking arms with her friend, who looks back to thank the blonde and gives a small nod to the other three. They giggle on the way out.

 

-

 

"Klaire, I know you're into older men but this is just..." Tiffany says, shaking her head in a playful disapproval.

 

"That's the point, Stephanie Hwang! She's preying on rich grandpas for the inheritance." Jessica jumps in to join the teasing.

 

It truly is a sight to behold; nine members of Girls' Generation currently sitting in circle in a bar that is the go-to place for senior citizens in New York City. The reasoning behind this odd choice is that the girls wanted to hang out somewhere public where people won't recognize them, so Klaire asked some of her East Coast friends for recommendations and one of them told her about this place. The bar is surrounded by some of the more popular off-Broadway theatres, frequents by the elderly and a handful of nerdy drama and art students. So here they are, some of the most well-known celebrities in South Korea, drinking and eating finger food in said bar, sitting between a sweet old couple in love and a group of gossiping grandpas.

 

"Feels good, though. We can never do this in Seoul." Taeyeon comments while sipping her draft beer.

 

"You feel good because you fit right in." Yuri says with a smirk. She has been mocking Taeyeon for being old, while conveniently ignoring the fact that they're the same age and she's only a few months younger.

 

"But your friend is right, Klaire. The wings here are really good!" Sooyoung compliments, her hand reaches out to grab another truffle parmesan chicken wing.

 

Klaire grins while transfering one of the last two wings to her plate before they ran out of it. "My friend spent most of her part time salary on the wings here during college. If I have any business mind at all, I'd franchise this thing and bring it to Seoul."

 

Upon hearing the idea, Shikshin One - Choi Sooyoung, looks at Shikshin Two - Im Yoona, as their minds start to imagine the amount of cash they could get from this business idea.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter